Mt Whitney Zone
        Out-of-date Mt Whitney Trail Conditions -- 2018

The posts below have been moved from the main Current Conditions thread for trail reports during 2018.
(Posts are moved periodically after they no longer represent current conditions.)

Previous years:
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2017
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2016
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2015
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2014
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2013
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2012
    Whitney Main Trail Conditions 2011
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/25/18 08:17 PM
Posted on Instagram, Jan 23, 2018 by codymayer22

His caption: Whitney Portal Road, looking beautiful after a night of snow

Posted By: Ren Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/27/18 03:15 AM
so is whitney portal road open?
Posted By: Christian Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/28/18 05:12 PM
I assume everyone has a permit? When will the roads and trails open up again?

Thank you in advance 😃
Posted By: Bob West Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/28/18 05:31 PM
Don't count on it being open until Spring. Call the Inyo FS number listed on this link:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/recreation
Posted By: Lindy25 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/30/18 11:38 PM
Any recent reports up Whitney Trail?

I talked to the Rangers at Lone Pine - they mentioned a lot of freeze-thaw cycles creating icy areas at higher elevations. They thought no crampons or ice axe needed until above Lone Pine Lake.

I plan to head up there this wknd and hike the extra 4 miles with the closed gate, and would appreciate any recent insight!
Posted By: Bob West Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/31/18 12:05 AM
No local reports that I've heard regarding the Whitney trail. Maybe Moosie has heard something.

I talked with a snow-surveyor friend last night, and he said that the surveyors had to carry their skis over Kearsarge Pass last week: no skiable snow. It is looking pretty dry south of Onion Valley, but above 12000 on Whitney it will be very icey. Ice axe and crampons needed for certain; not micro-spikes and poles.
Posted By: al_novice Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 02/28/18 11:01 AM
Hey guys, entered lottery for permits in mid-june and from what i can tell, trail conditions that month can vary greatly depending on snow. I know we aren't through the snowfall months, but how does the snowfall this year compare to most? (so far)
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/01/18 06:30 AM
Originally Posted By: al_novice
Hey guys, entered lottery for permits in mid-june and from what i can tell, trail conditions that month can vary greatly depending on snow. I know we aren't through the snowfall months, but how does the snowfall this year compare to most? (so far)

So far, snow has been extremely low -- major drought conditions! However, the first storm of the winter is due in the next several days, so we will at least have some. Unless we get a lot more stormy weather (unlike the past 3 months) the trail will be clear by mid-June, maybe with a few snowy patches.
Posted By: al_novice Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/01/18 07:00 AM
Awesome! Thanks, fingers crossed. BTW, this board is an amazing tool. I know there is nothing to replace specific trail experience, but I feel like I'll be as prepared as I can be in June. (If I'm lucky enough to get a permit)

Thanks again!
Posted By: Brett Dean Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/03/18 09:37 PM
If for some reason you don't get a permit, you can always do a walk in.

When the permit processed changed in, 2000?, and everyone had to get their permit info in by Feb. 1st for the year, I was almost never granted a permit, so I no longer try. I've always, 100% of the time, walked into the visitor center and asked if they had permits available, and was issued one for either that day or the next.

Worst case scenario, just have a back up plan and hike Kearsarge pass, Big Pine Basin, or wherever, you're in the Sierras. Either way, you'll have a blast.

This may be easier said than done coming from Alabama.

Originally Posted By: al_novice
Awesome! Thanks, fingers crossed. BTW, this board is an amazing tool. I know there is nothing to replace specific trail experience, but I feel like I'll be as prepared as I can be in June. (If I'm lucky enough to get a permit)

Thanks again!
Posted By: al_novice Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/06/18 11:41 AM
We are basically planning the trip around this hike. If we don't get a permit, we are going to set aside two days that work best for us and try your method above. Thanks for the additional options, that was the info I was going to look for next.

Cheers!
Posted By: ER10 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/07/18 06:25 PM
Any updates on the current conditions on Mount Whitney trail to Mount Whitney? I understand there was a large amount of snowfall last weekend, however, I can't find any updates.
Posted By: pmarx Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/07/18 06:35 PM
I am also wondering this, we are planning on taking a pass at the mountaineers route this weekend.

Further, anyone have any knowledge on road access? Would like to avoid some of the walkup if possible.

Will report back on conditions if we make it through
Posted By: Xi Jinping Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/08/18 06:54 AM
This site says Whitney Portal Rd is closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5192379

Are there other ways to approach MR?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/08/18 08:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Xi Jinping
This site says Whitney Portal Rd is closed: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5192379

Are there other ways to approach MR?

Xi, thanks for that. This year, the road has a locked gate 1.5 miles from Whitney Portal.

I'm not sure, but there may also be a spot a mile or two below that with a "Road Closed" sign posted. I think most people drive past the sign, but it means you're traveling at your own risk -- of snow or falling rock hazards.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/08/18 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: ER10
Any updates on the current conditions on Mount Whitney trail to Mount Whitney? I understand there was a large amount of snowfall last weekend, however, I can't find any updates.

Sorry, I can't find any updates or posts anywhere. But I would expect you will find a significant amount of fresh snow higher up. I was in the central Sierra, west side, this past weekend, and the powder was deep--3-4 feet. East side is always lots less, but it blows around, so you will find some drifted spots where it will slow you down significantly.

If you guys go, it would really help if you would take a few pictures and send them this way (email them to the contact us link, bottom of the page, or contact me and I can give you my cell number to send them to.) If you don't have pictures, a few sentences describing the conditions would be EXTREMELY helpful to everyone coming here to find out.
"old posts" message -- just a placeholder
Posted By: jhmccann Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/08/18 06:03 PM
Ill be heading up this weekend even though Saturday is calling for snow according to mountain-forecast.com. Im going to try and solo MR but if snow or avalanche conditions are crap Ill abort. If anyone else is heading up early Saturday morning let me know.

Those who havent been up there in the winter... couple tips... park your car away from chutes and be ready to dig yourself out if need be. Take snow chains, even if you have 4x4 with all terrain tires. Lastly snow shoes weigh a lot but beats post-holing.

If you see a black 4runner or orange tent below Iceberg Lake, weather permitting, thats me! Say hello, Ill make you a brew.
Originally Posted By: jhmccann

If you see a black 4runner or orange tent below Iceberg Lake, weather permitting, thats me! Say hello, Ill make you a brew.

I seriously doubt your 4runner will make it to Iceberg lake. smile wink
Posted By: Baitao Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/09/18 01:24 PM
Flotation device is a must, a hard lesson learned. We made fresh trail up to lower boy scout lake, normally an hour hike but took us 7 hrs and postholing the whole way (also have to park 2.5 miles away from the trailhead). The snow was soft and waist deep and we have to crawl in some sections.

This was the condition of the weekend of Mar 3-4. Day 1 after a week of snow storm.
Posted By: jhmccann Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/12/18 05:21 AM
Hahaha! Obviously I meant to say if you see my truck parked somewhere of Whitney Portal Road...

Well it was a short lived trip. Set up camp but snow conditions got pretty heavy in the evening. Packed out early and called it a weekend.

Always next weekend.
Posted By: Quick_Wick Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 03/30/18 07:38 AM
Hi all,

New to this forum and I’m planning on hiking the Meysan Lake Trail on the 14th of April to get a good feel of this trail, as I will be doing this route on June 1st to the summit. I’m just hiking to Meysan Lake in two weeks to see the conditions. Anyone been on the Whitney Trail or Meysan Lake trail lately? If not, I will update y’all in two weeks when I go. Happy trails! thanks cool
Hey Fellow Hikers,
I got a Day-Hike permit for June 18.
I wanted your expertise to see how the trail would look this year, i am mostly worried about the trail after trail camp. Do you think the switchbacks will be open to use by June this year ?
How was the winter this year ? Was it better than last year ?

I did the day hike last year during July and had to unfortunately head back after trail camp as i wasn't prepared enough to take on the chute (Switchbacks were covered in snow) and also partially due to altitude sickness.

Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!
Originally Posted By: stentorian11
Hey Fellow Hikers,
I got a Day-Hike permit for June 18.

This year has been well below normal for snow in the Sierras. Last year was FREAKING HUGE. No comparing the two.

Switchbacks should probably be clear in late June or at least navigable.
Posted By: che Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/10/18 05:57 AM
What is the water availability like in September after a low-snow year at Trail Camp and the switchback spring?

thanks!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/10/18 06:35 AM
The spring on the switchbacks above Trail Camp dries up in September. The Trail Camp pond never does.
Posted By: dunavice321 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/11/18 04:35 PM
Would crampons and ice axe be recommended this year from mid-June - mid July? How do the conditions compare to last year (ran into some deep-doo do at top of Wotans throne snow crossing.)
Posted By: jorvack Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/11/18 04:39 PM
The snowfall is indeed quite a bit under where it was last year - however spring has been pretty big.
Since it is a later snow year hard to predict June conditions.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/18/18 04:04 AM
Update: These pics are out-of-date. The road opened to the Portal Apr 25. see below.

Pictures from last weekend: Apr 14, 2018. These show the cars parked at the locked gate on the road, about a mile below Whitney Portal. Provided by Bob H, on his hike part way up the Mountaineer's Route.

Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/18/18 04:18 AM
This from Instagram, shared by ayushsobti

It shows the Mountaineers Route, Iceberg Lake out of view on the right, the Mt Whitney summit in the center. Three dots part way up the chute are climbers.

Anybody know what current trail conditions are on the main trail?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/20/18 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Christopher_H
Anybody know what current trail conditions are on the main trail?

The picture above of the Mountaineer's Route is the same elevation as Trail Camp, which is just a mile south of that. So There would be similar snow coverage, and the switchbacks will be completely under snow right now.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/23/18 04:58 AM
Posted on Instagram by sarahattar

April 15, 2018: This is a view from somewhere high on the slope where the switchbacks are.

Click the pic for a larger view.

Another picture: On the switchbacks

On the crest:
Good morning Steve & members,

I will be headed up for an overnight trip on 3/4 May, and am planning on climbing via the chute up to Trail Crest. I did this same thing last year in early June, but am curious if anyone knows the current status of the "log bridges" as well as if water is available yet at trail camp. I see the pics from the recent mountaineer's route, but no recent news of folks hiking the main trail towards the chute. Any advice is appreciated as I prepare the final gear list. Thanks everyone.

Cheers,

Nick
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/25/18 07:05 PM
Update, Inyo County Sheriff's Office

Inyo Co. Sheriff's Office update on FB:

Quote:
Inyo County Road Status:

Update: North Lake Road is open to the day-use area
Update 4/27/18: Just in time for the weekend- Horseshoe Meadows Road is now open!

South Lake Road, OPEN
North Lake Road, OPEN - to the day use area
Sabrina Road, OPEN
Horseshoe Meadows Rd, OPEN
Rock Creek Lakes Road, OPEN
White Mountain Road, OPEN
Whitney Portal Road, OPEN
N. Eureka Valley Road, OPEN
Onion Valley Road, OPEN

Inyo County Sheriff's Office posted this on facebook today, April 25, 2018:
Quote:
Inyo County Road Status:
South Lake Road, OPEN
North Lake Road, CLOSED
Sabrina Road, OPEN
Horseshoe Meadows Rd, CLOSED at the gate
Rock Creek Lakes Road, OPEN
White Mountain Road, OPEN
Whitney Portal Road, OPEN
N. Eureka Valley Road, OPEN
Onion Valley Road, OPEN

THANK YOU to the Inyo County Road Department for their hard work! You guys are awesome!
Posted By: Philippe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/26/18 09:40 PM
Went up the Main trail on April 23:

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qw6CsdYEEea4iy7S6

Cf picture comments

• Outpost camp (went up the summer trail, no winter shortcut through the front of the meadow)
  • Mirror lake (went up the summer trail, chute access was melted)
  • Trail camp (the main pound is frozen but liquid water can easily be found in small streams and puddles, even at 6AM)
  • chute from trail camp (cable section was visible, but no tracks along the cables)
  • bottom of the chute (safe switchbacks on the chute starting from mid-height. Snow was still icy at 10am when we reached the bottom)
  • trail crest connection with the switchbacks on the summer trail
  • sketchy section on trail crest

@Nick: "log bridges" is completely clear of snow - we only put on our crampons past Mirror lake. Snowshoes were not needed when we went. Bring crampons and ice axes.

@All: thanks for posting and keeping us up to date with the current conditions : )
Philippe,

Thanks for the update and pictures. The question on the log bridge was more geared towards its integrity, as last year in early June, it had been partially washed out and required some careful maneuvering to avoid a wet transit. I did not think they would be washed out this year with the lower snowfall totals.

Cheers,

Nick
Posted By: Philippe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/27/18 10:23 PM
@Nick: Makes sense : ) The "bridges of logs" were sturdy and easy to maneuver.
Posted By: Rayna Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 04/30/18 06:45 PM
@Philippe: Thank you for this! Were the switchbacks generally easy to follow?
@Philippe: Thanks a lot for the latest update and photos. While coming down, did you have to glissade down, or just hike down ?
Thanks !
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/01/18 06:14 AM
This picture posted on Instagram on Apr 29, 2018, by ucsbadventure

(click the pic to enlarge)
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/02/18 04:36 PM
Picture of snow filling the summit hut. The door was off this winter, so during storms, snow blows in and deposits inside. It will take months to melt out.

The picture is from a group shared on FB by Shawn Aiden. They hiked the main trail, camping at Outpost Camp. They made it with microspikes and ice axes.

Posted By: Kimmy Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/03/18 08:27 PM
The switchbacks were snow covered in July?! I'm hiking this year on July 15th...sure hope there isn't any snow then!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/03/18 10:12 PM
The switchbacks will be open way earlier this year. Last year got 3 to 4 times the snow compared to this past winter.
Any idea when HM road will open?

Thanks!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/04/18 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Snacking Bear
Any idea when HM road will open?

Thanks!

I re-checked, It's open!!
Posted By: Hobbes Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/07/18 09:48 AM
Just got back from a fun weekend - the conditions were really perfect. Except for a few patches, it was dry trail all the way until above Mirror. We elected to hike up the usual winter route up the drainage to Trail camp.

We summitted 5/5 along with at least 25 other people, the majority of whom were day hikers. That's pretty impressive, especially loaded down with mountaineering equipment.

The Chute is in excellent condition - it may hold snow for the next few weeks. Here is a shot from our camp, and one from the summit:

It's really hard to see the iced over switchbacks, but they're right to the left of Mt Muir in the foreground:

Posted By: dunavice321 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/07/18 02:18 PM
Any predictions of the trail conditions and snow cover in the first 10 days of June this year?

I wanna know whether I should get crampons and an ice axe or bring microspikes instead of crampons. I'm leaning towards yes for the crampons.
Posted By: CholleyRay Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/07/18 04:54 PM
This looks amazing! My group will be heading out there in 2 weeks and we're just a bit nervous about any changing weather patterns. I'm happy to hear conditions were perfect for you! Let's hope it stays that way! With current conditions, would you recommend crampons or microspikes?
Posted By: Lidia Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/07/18 07:41 PM
Wow, that's awesome! What time did you start your hike and what time did you summit? I'm going this weekend so I'm trying to get an idea about timing. Thank you!
Posted By: CholleyRay Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/07/18 08:12 PM
Lidia! Let us know how it goes after your trip! I'd love to hear about the weather conditions, your experience, and any tips you may have! smile
Posted By: Hobbes Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/07/18 08:30 PM
My friend (who is experienced in winter travel) used Altras and hiking crampons. They are a mix between traditional crampons and micro-spikes. Everyone else - including myself - had regular boots + crampons). (https://www.hillsound.com/products/trail-crampon vs https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing%2Fcrampons/contact-crampon-BD400069_cfg.html )

If we don't get another dump, then spikes/hiking crampons will become more useful as the snow melts on the Chute. However, hikers should note that there is plenty of snow on the .1 mile section to the JMT junction, and then the entire 1.9 JMT run to the summit. So, plan on wearing whatever traction you have along that stretch as well.

Looking through one of the keyholes down to Iceberg

As far as timing, the day hikers were leaving the Portal at 3am, getting to Trail camp/Chute by 8am, gaining Trail crest by 10am, and hitting the summit around noon. So, yes, plan on averaging around 1 mph while there is still snow/ice.

Note: the trail was clear (except for minor shade patches) until above Mirror, then full coverage allowing the winter route to Consultation & TC. (That is, you simply hike up the drainage and avoid the entire run from Trail side meadow on.) Here's a shot of me looking back to where the snow route doglegs to pick up the trail down to Mirror. (Last year in May, a disoriented hiker kept going straight and fell to her death down the waterfall that drops to Outpost; you can see it behind me.)

We had a perfectly luxurious start of 8am from TC because we were planning on spending a second night before hiking out & driving back to SoCal Sunday. We took 2 hours to get to Trail crest/junction, then 2 to the summit. We hung out for an hour, and took 2.5 hours to get back to camp. 2 hours back to Trail crest, and a quick glissade and hike back to Trail camp.

Posted By: Hobbes Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/08/18 02:16 AM
My hiking partner Honey B[adger] took this photo of the Chute from Trail crest. I'm the 3rd one down:

Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/08/18 03:10 AM
Hobbes, THANK YOU for posting the pictures!

Here's one from Facebook by Lauren S, of the snow between Trail Crest and the JMT junction. It looks a little steep right here.

Posted By: Koti Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/08/18 05:18 PM
Lidia, I am also planning to day hike this weekend on 5/13. I had 3 guest pass permit, but both of them bailed on me, so I am by myself and looking for company and would like to join any group. Please let me know if you or anyone reading this post has other friends that can join.

Thanks
Koti
308-249-3698
Posted By: Hobbes Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/08/18 06:15 PM
Lauren is cool - she and her bf are rock climbers. Had a good time chatting with them on the summit, and then semi-walking back with them to the Crest. She and her bf are to my right behind me in this photo:

And yeah, that's why you need to wear traction from Trail camp to summit, then back to Crest. Take 'em off for the glissade down, and resume till re-joining dry trail above Mirror.
Posted By: Lidia Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/08/18 07:16 PM
@All - Thank you for the info, updates & pics. I greatly appreciate it! I'll report back on Monday about the conditions :-)

@Koti - No worries, it happens. I have an extra permit too. It's for an overnight but my group and I are going to do a day hike due to time. You're more than welcome to join us. We plan on starting our hike @ 12am Sunday am/Saturday night. I'll sent you a text.
Posted By: bluewater Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/09/18 01:56 AM
Bluebird skies and great snow conditions last weekend with Hobbes.

There was enough soft snow on the chute in the afternoon to make it possible to glissade down, but it was still firm enough in the morning to make the climb up reasonable. The snow is consolidated enough to walk on without post holing (glad I left the snowshoes in the car).

Posted By: dunavice321 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 01:17 AM
That's beautiful. I especially love the last photo with the rainbow.

I decided I'm getting my overnight permits for some time in the last 10 days of June. Any thoughts about how the snowpack will be looking then and what conditions to expect?

Also, with the recent tragic fatality along the mountaineer's route I'd need some advice on what to do this summer. I wanted to reach the summit via the Whitney trail and chute, (not the mountaineers route) without having experience using crampons and an ice axe. I reckon I can find a good place to practice putting crampons on, walking, and self-arresting along the stretch of snow near the Wotan's throne, provided that it hasn't melted off (just before final trail camp) where my pack fell into a crevasse last year. (The strap broke while jumping over and the pack went with it.)

And if my understanding is correct, here is how reaching the summit via the trail and chute goes:

Whitney Portal, go along the regular Whitney trail till' trail camp, where it breaks off and you go to the chute?

Please fill me in.

Thanks!!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 05:27 AM
Originally Posted By: dunavice321
And if my understanding is correct, here is how reaching the summit via the trail and chute goes:

Whitney Portal, go along the regular Whitney trail 'til trail camp, where it breaks off and you go to the chute?

Please fill me in.

Thanks!!!

Here is a picture (from a previous year) showing the switchbacks and the chute, BobR took this from Wotans Throne, and (the late) Wayne Pyle edited it and added the switchback numbers to the picture. Trail Camp is just out of view, lower left. The "chute" is actually the slope to the right of the switchbacks in the picture (upper right corner). It is NOT a part of the MR section where the recent death occurred.

You can click on the picture, and zoom in and scroll around for the detail. This is Wayne Pyle's switchback chart

Posted By: G4u2 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 02:14 PM
Great picture Steve. Not to go off on a tangent,but is there a proper trail to Wotans Throne from MWT or MR?

Quote:
Here is a picture showing the switchbacks and the chute, BobR took this from Wotans Throne, and (the late) Wayne Pyle edited it and added the switchback numbers to the picture. Trail Camp is just out of view, lower left. The "chute" is actually the slope to the right of the switchbacks in the picture (upper right corner). It is NOT a part of the MR section where the recent death occurred.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 03:20 PM
> is there a proper trail to Wotans Throne from MWT or MR?

No. You just hike up and around WT, off trail. The northwest side is third class. You can descend from that approach down to Mirror Lake, but it is ugly steep.

Pinnacle Ridge lies between WT and the Mountaineers Route. I have never heard of anyone crossing it. It is definitely accessible on the south side, but the north side not so much.
Posted By: Daniel S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 03:32 PM
The chute on the right looks pretty steep. Maybe 30 degrees, possibly even more, but would it be an easier alternative to the switchbacks?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 04:03 PM
When the switchbacks are buried under snow, the chute is the only way to go. Ice axe and crampons are highly recommended, pretty difficult without.
Posted By: Dan R Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/10/18 07:42 PM
When do switchbacks generally open up?

I'm hiking it this Memorial Day (with crampon/ice axe in tow) but would greatly prefer switchbacks vs chute if possible.
Thanks so much!
Posted By: marc g Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/12/18 05:49 PM
Usually, the switchbacks are unsafe (at the cables, and beyond) until after Memorial day. The Chute is the preferred route, for sure. Just start very early and try to get on the base of the chute before 6. morning sun can soften the snow quick and make it more challenging to go up.
Anyone summit recently? Planning on going memorial day weekend via main trail and chute.

How are the conditions from trail Crest and onward? Any questionable or sketchy areas? Will you need crampons for the last 2 miles or so?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/13/18 05:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Dan R

I'm hiking it this Memorial Day (with crampon/ice axe in tow) but would greatly prefer switchbacks vs chute if possible.

Dan R, that question is asked every year multiple times. I finally put together a post showing when they opened up in past years.

I hope this helps:   When will Mt Whitney switchbacks open?

It was only two extremely dry years ('12 & '13) that the switchbacks were in use by Memorial Weekend. I think it will be a week or more later this year.

While using "the chute" aka the slope west of the switchbacks, you need crampons, and an ice axe is recommended, too. Once the switchbacks open up, microspikes are helpeful since there will still be snowy sections for several more weeks, and the section at the cables can be icy. (Yet some people navigate that only with hiking shoes and a lot of care.)
Posted By: VertC Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/14/18 02:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: Dan R

Dan R, that question is asked every year multiple times. I finally put together a post showing when they opened up in past years.

I hope this helps:   When will Mt Whitney switchbacks open?

It was only two extremely dry years ('12 & '13) that the switchbacks were in use by Memorial Weekend. I think it will be a week or more later this year.

While using "the chute" aka the slope west of the switchbacks, you need crampons, and an ice axe is recommended, too. Once the switchbacks open up, microspikes are helpeful since there will still be snowy sections for several more weeks, and the section at the cables can be icy. (Yet some people navigate that only with hiking shoes and a lot of care.)

Steve C, thanks so much for posting this info. I have been lurking on here each day to try and get an idea of what June 3rd & 4th will be like this year.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/14/18 05:55 AM
So.BayMark posted a trip report and a link to his pictures, in the Trip Reports forum. Here's the link to his report:   Almost to the Summit
Posted By: Jim O Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/14/18 06:28 PM
Steve C: I registered to add my appreciation to VertC's for all the valuable information you (and others) share here. Our trip is June 5, and the photos and the historical switchback opening data make it look like we should not count on the trail being open. We'll be prepared for a trip up the chute. That's very helpful!

I note the typical spread between the date of the first use of the switchbacks and the date of the predominant use. Is there conventional wisdom about how to choose which route is best during that time for group that is prepared for either? Our preference is switchbacks up and chute down, but we'll take what the mountain gives us.

Thanks again!
Posted By: TK50311 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/15/18 07:32 PM
Steve,

Is that a current picture that you posted on the 9th of the switchbacks?

Thanks
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/15/18 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: TK50311
Steve,

Is that a current picture that you posted on the 9th of the switchbacks?

Thanks

No. That switchback picture was taken some years ago. It is posted to show the switchbacks, in relation to "the chute" aka the slope west of the switchbacks.

The conditions will likely be similar to that in several more weeks. From the looks of it, it appears that people were hiking the switchbacks -- they were open -- but some were still using the chute.
Posted By: D00d3r1n022 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/16/18 12:47 AM
Is the road closed 3 miles from the trailhead this week?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/16/18 03:38 AM
The road is open. Is there somewhere on this forum saying it is closed?
Posted By: D00d3r1n022 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/16/18 06:24 PM
Not here. Sorry to waste space on the forum. I just called the ranger station this morning. duhhhhhh.
When looking up conditions I found this website.
https://www.timberlinetrails.com/WhitneyWeather.html

The "Quick summary of weather and road access" has seemingly accurate weather and then says the road is closed. I got confused.

Thanks for your help! Heading up to Trail Camp tomorrow. Summit success seems unlikely with the forecast but it'll be a great time anyway.
Posted By: Rayna Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/21/18 04:19 PM
Just got back from a day hike on Saturday, May 19th. When we got to the chute around 8:45am a lot of folks were turning back due to an imminent storm. By the time we got to the top (around 10:00am), things looked clearer so we kept going up to the summit. At the top, clouds were rolling in so we took a few quick photos and turned right back around. Shortly after we glissaded down the chute, we could hear thunder so we picked up the pace back down. Graupel started to fall which made for a pretty fun hike back to Whitney Portal! In hindsight, we probably didn't make the wisest choice continuing up the to the summit.

In terms of gear, my hiking partner had microspikes and an ice axe for the snow-covered areas and was just fine. He used trekking poles the rest of the time. I had crampons with smaller spikes (but not quite microspikes) and an ice axe, no trekking poles. Hope this helps!
Reyna,
Thanks for posting your experience, very helpful and simple! Just what this is about!!!!
Glad you and your team made it back down safely!

Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas?

Climbed last year via Chute around July last year but the top from Trail Crest to Summit was clear of snow. Just curious what it is right now.
Posted By: Rayna Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/21/18 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085
Glad you and your team made it back down safely!

Question - how are the conditions from Trail Crest to the Summit? Did you need microspikes for the last leg from TrailCrest to Summit? Any sketchy areas?

Climbed last year via Chute around July last year but the top from Trail Crest to Summit was clear of snow. Just curious what it is right now.

Thank you! There was still quite a bit of (well-trafficked) snow from Trail Crest to the summit. Right at Trail Crest, I took my crampons off, but I put them back on not too long afterwards b/c of the snow. There were a few areas where the trail was narrow-ish with a steep drop off to one side. I just dug my ice axe into the mountain before each step and walked slowly (and didn't look down). That said, my hiking partner didn't use his microspikes, but he did use his ice axe. From the footprints, there seemed to be a mix of folks who did and did not wear crampons or microspikes. I think it comes down to what you're comfortable with. I personally felt better having that extra traction. On the way back down from the summit to Trail Crest, I kept my crampons on the whole time and took them off before glissading down the chute. I was able to keep them off the rest of the way down to the Portal.
Posted By: Rayna Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/21/18 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Jose De La Rosa
Reyna,
Thanks for posting your experience, very helpful and simple! Just what this is about!!!!

Thank you, Jose!
Thanks Rayna, for the info. Will definitely have my crampons ready.

Hiking up this weekend. Hopefully the weather is favorable.
Posted By: Rayna Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/22/18 06:12 PM
Originally Posted By: WhitneyHiker085
Thanks Rayna, for the info. Will definitely have my crampons ready.

Hiking up this weekend. Hopefully the weather is favorable.

Have a fantastic hike!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/24/18 05:59 PM
Here's a great picture posted May 24, on Instagram by adover36
It shows the trail along the crest, somewhere between the Main Whitney Trail / JMT junction, and Mt Muir.

click for larger size...
Posted By: Brad Calvin Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/27/18 10:30 PM
Do you know when this picture was taken? I'd like to know as I have a day permit for Monday June 4.
Posted By: Thom Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/27/18 10:53 PM
It’s recent. I summited 5/25 and the chute was in decent condition. I recommend you leave early — maybe 2 or 3 am depending on your speed. It gets very slushy early and some people were slipping later. I made it with microspikes and an ax without issues. One stretch on the crest trail remains sketchy but it’s very doable.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/28/18 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Brad Calvin
Do you know when this picture was taken? I'd like to know as I have a day permit for Monday June 4.

Wed, May 23.
Posted By: wwf Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/30/18 11:12 PM
Im headed on a day hike on the 2nd of June. Q: From the start of trail head to lets say 'lone pine lake' easily distinguishable at dawn 4-5 AM? i have a flashlight etc. just don't want to go off the trail so i can make it to the shoot early. Q: do i really need a ice axe to go up the shoot? or is that just a precaution? wink
Posted By: alfredg Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/31/18 01:10 AM
Went up yesterday and the sunlight was good enough to forgo a headlamp by 530. Granted it was the night before a full moon. Having never gone via the chute, I’d definitely use an ice axe & crampons if you’re hitting it early after sunrise. By 930 the trail was slushy. We had clear skies all morning leading up to it. Good luck!
Posted By: Brad Calvin Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/31/18 02:42 AM
Alfredg:
I'm hiking Whitney next Monday w/ a friend.

Can you tell me what time you started at Portal, what time you reached summit, and what time you returned to Portal? Did you use ice axe and crampons? I assume so from your advice, but wanted to clarify. What time were you on the chute and how long did you take on the chute? Did you see others on chute using micro spikes or other equipment? Finally, were any parts of the trail waterlogged or flooded prior to reaching trail camp?

Thanks,
Brad
Posted By: wwf Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 05/31/18 03:29 PM
Thank you alfredg, will be prepared per your direction. Can you also be kind enough to respond to when you started time? and what time you were able to reach the chute? finally,what time you were able to return? Id consider myself to be in better than average physical condition, and thus should be able to make good time but would like get your thoughts in this area.
Thanks again thanks
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/01/18 04:53 AM
jerryjsun posted a trip report and some pictures here:

Memorial Day Summit (5/27/18)
Posted By: wwf Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/04/18 10:09 PM
Hi All,

Happy that I was able to summit Mt. Whitney (day hike) on 6.02.2018 and also very fortunate to be alive, here is my account:

Started from Whitney Portal at 5 am after an all night drive (Not Ideal) from San Diego.
It was one of the most beautiful mornings with near perfect weather, was able to make good ground to Outpost Camp made it there between 7-7:30. Stopped there to take a 10 min break before barging ahead to get to Trail Camp. The trail just after Mirror Lake/Pond is a little obscure, but not too bad so long as you skirt the mountain.

Me and a group of hikers went off the trail for a little before finding our way back, and making Trail Camp at around 10 30 am.

I had decided that if was not going to make trail camp by 9:30 am at worst, i would abandon the summit bid. Here i was an hour later and debating the summit bid, was able to see a number of hikers either almost up the chute or glissading down. Had to take a break to eat and rest before pushing on, while resting i realized i may be experiencing altitude sickness or at least showing symptoms. Shortness of breath, a pulsing head ache and a slight lack of co-ordination. Took a couple of 'ibuprofen'(life savers up there), had a bite to eat, hydrated for the next 40 mins before deciding to push on.

It was now past 11 am when i was making my way to the chute, which is a good 20 mins hike from Trail Camp. As i got closer it hit me that i might be one of the last hikers attempting the summit bid, as it was now close to noon and there was just one person ahead who was almost up at Trail Crest. I set a turn around time of 3 pm and pushed on.

At this point the altitude had taken its toll and i was stopping to catch my breath every few steps, progress on the chute was painstakingly slow, and the thought to turn back was gaining momentum. I looked back to see 2 other hikers starting up, while several others were getting back after a successful summit bid,
merrily glissading down the slides which had been in use through the day. the joy on their faces fueled me to carry on.

Made it up the chute at 1:30 pm,it had been a slushy, slow and slippery assent. I was later joined by the 2 hikers who were climbing behind me. Whitney summit is a further 2.98 miles, and it was already late afternoon. Should have turned around, but we were firmly in the grip of Summit fever. The hike from trail crest is fairly easy terrain wise and mostly manageable with just hiking shoes aside from a few sketchy spots where and ice axe/microspikes or crampons are recommended. It was 4 pm before we reached the summit, where we found another couple of hikers on their way back, spent about 15-20 mins soaking in the beauty, and for me catching my breath, regaining strength were highest priority. Realizing we have a long way back we teamed up, and decided to descend as quickly as we could. Reached the chute at 6pm also on the way we overtook the 2 hikers we had seen on the summit.I was the only one with the ice axe, thus was the first one who could attempt the glissade. The chute which looked fun and harmless when the sun was out at noon, looked life threatening as the snow had now set firm making the ride down treacherous. Normally i would not have tried to glissade down, but altitude can do funny things and my judgement was clouded to say the least.

I sat down with the ice axe in hand, so i could self arrest in case the speed was too much to handle. Before i knew, i was catapulted down, gaining momentum faster than i have ever experienced barring a free fall. I planted my ice-axe which snagged on a rock which yanked it out of my hand. Now i had no way of stopping the fall, and i remember going 'this is it, i'm f#%#ed', i was now falling/sliding at maybe 30 mph at least. I thought to turn on my chest and bury my hands and feet into the snow as firmly as i could. Fell a good 200-300 feet before slowing down and coming to a halt, half way down the slide, poised precariously in the middle of the chute.

If i moved i could fall again, my first thought was hope the guys behind me don't try the glissade as they would come straight for me. Luckily they were able to see my experience which deterred them from trying the slide.

One handed, i was able pull out my micro spikes that were in my bag, and put them on one shoe which helped me get off the slide,where i was able to put on the other one. I then crawled on my back to make way down the rest of chute. The skin on my hand forearm is ripped clean on my right fore arm and several scratches on my left arm as well, my lower back is also ripped bad from the fall and arrest. Little to give, as i could have been injured severely/fatally had i gone tumbling into the rocks.

I waited at the bottom of the chute screaming at the guys behind me to take it easy and to see if i could help/get help in some way if something went wrong, they were able to make it down safe but it took them over 2 hours to get off the chute. Was able to get some first aid at trail camp before finally getting to Whitney Portal at almost midnight. Still in shock, but at least i'm alive and well

Learnings
PLEASE DON'T GLISSADE DOWN THE CHUTE, AFTER THE SUN IS OFF IT. It will kill you.
Avoid a summit bid after midday, especially if your not already up the chute.
Pay careful attention to signs of altitude sickness, carry a medical/first aid kit.
Hope this helps someone to not make the series of stupid decisions I made.
tc
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/05/18 04:40 AM
OMG, wwf! You're lucky you are alive!!! If you were a cat, you would have 8 lives left.

Thanks for sharing. I wish more people would read reports like yours.
Posted By: leeanne Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/05/18 08:55 PM
I really appreciate the posts in this forum and the information about ice axe/crampon use in general on this board. We were supposed to attempt a one day summit on the 10th of June, so I've been watching this forum anxiously. Not having any prior experience with ice axes / crampons, after reading the latest posts here, I have decided to forgo our attempt this year. We'll try to get up the mountain in the summer months (next year) unless we can get some beginning/intermediate mountaineering experience under our belts. Thanks again to everyone that's posted their experience here. It's helped a lot.
Posted By: RenoFrank Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/06/18 02:58 AM
Originally Posted By: leeanne
I have decided to forgo our attempt this year. We'll try to get up the mountain in the summer months (next year)

You can go this summer. Do some research on this site about getting "walk-in" permits.
        Unused Whitney Permits 20178

Link provided by Steve C
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/06/18 03:31 PM
I think I’m with LeeAnne. My wife, son and I were to do a two-day on June 19th, and I already committed to my wife that I would only take her up the switchbacks, not the chute. No reports have indicated the switchbacks are anywhere near melting out. It might be on to Plan B, with an attempt to get walk-ins later in the summer before my son heads off to college. Bummer.

Please let me know if anyone has a conditions report on the switchbacks? Thanks!
Posted By: leeanne Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/06/18 04:30 PM
Thanks RenoFrank! Will definitely check out that link.
Posted By: RenoFrank Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/06/18 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: 203WEST
It might be on to Plan B, with an attempt to get walk-ins later in the summer before my son heads off to college. Bummer.

Not a bummer. You can likely score walk-in permits (especially midweek - All through August and September by clicking the above link you'll see Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays have many unused permits in past years.) You'll have less (almost no) worries about snow (I did forego summitting late August a few years ago because of snow above Iceberg Lake).
Posted By: DavidK Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/06/18 10:40 PM
Going up Friday. Can't wait! I wish there were more current reports - things change daily this time of year. I will post update after we return.
Posted By: Adventurous Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/06/18 11:30 PM
Thank you DavidK. Wishing you best of luck and looking forward to your updates. Summiting on the 18th. I’d appreciate any updates on the 99 switchbacks.
Posted By: Mermaid14 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/07/18 03:53 AM
Some people have been posting trip reports on All Trails. We are also summiting the 18th and fingers crossed the switchbacks are open! From the Tioga road data posted here, and weather forecasts, I’m staying positive they will open within the next week
Posted By: Adventurous Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/07/18 04:23 AM
Thank you for the info Mermaid14. I am hopeful too and super excited! Come on switchbacks, open up! smile
Posted By: al_novice Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/07/18 04:44 AM
I will be making an attempt on the 13th and hoping to post my about my efforts a day or two after.
Posted By: samkhal Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/07/18 04:55 AM
We summited this Monday (June 4th) after spending the night at Trail Camp. We planned to camp at Consultation Lake, but that lake is still frozen over. After reaching camp, we spent some time practicing self-arrest on the nearby snowfields.

We left camp at 3:45am and reached the top of the chute by 9:15. Snow conditions were good and it was easy going with ice axe and crampons. There were a number of people going up with just hiking poles and no traction; definitely would not recommend.

The switchbacks are still covered in lots of ice; one group we talked to tried to take the switchbacks, but turned back, came down, and went up the chute instead due to the conditions.

The section from trail crest to the summit has a number of short sketchy icy sections. It's quite a hassle to put crampons on for each one, so we left them in our packs and made do with careful ice-axe placements. Microspikes+axe here would be ideal.

After summiting we reached trail crest at about 11:30 on the way down. Conditions at this time were perfect for glissading, so we slid down the length of the chute and got back to camp pretty quickly.
Posted By: Jim O Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/07/18 05:39 AM
I appreciated all the previous updates from others in my planning. My daughter, son and I went up yesterday. The weather was great, but the warmer temperature had the chute softening up earlier. Hearing reports from the day before and worried about slushy conditions, we moved out portal start time up from 3:00 to 2:00 am. That got us to Trail Camp by 8:00 after a detour and a break to filter water for all of us

We were topping out the chute around 9:00 am and it was already getting pretty soft by then. I’m glad we were not much later. A few made it up with microspikes, but I was glad we had crampons and axes. Earlier is better. We didn’t see or hear of anyone using the switchbacks, except for one group that used the lower portion and then cut over to the chute.

The trail from Trail Crest to the summit is mostly clear, but there are still a few tricky places with some slippery snow. They were too short to bother putting on any kind of spikes, but they required a little bit of attention. There were also some longer snow covered areas that were not much of an issue. That segment was slower than expected for us, and we didn’t get to the summit until around noon.

Conditions were great for glissading mid-afternoon, but by the time we were going down most people had used one track that was dug down at least a couple of feet from the surface and down to visible rocks in a couple of places. I opted for another path and speed control was very manageable.

A few other miscellaneous notes as a first-timer:
—water level seemed fairly high at a few of the stream crossings. In a few places it would very difficult to keep socks dry if you don’t have water-proof boots, and it is still to cold to hike with wet feet.
—the segment from the Muir Trail intersection to the summit is the longest 1.9 miles ever. We again proved altitude is tricky; it affected my very fit 21 year-old son more than his older sister or me.
—it is stunningly beautiful. The magnitude of the grandeur of everything from the canyon rock walls to the vistas in every direction from the top are on a different scale than other beautiful places I have been.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/07/18 03:48 PM
PCT hiker JJ posted on FB the first picture of the cables this year (June 6).
Edit June 16: Most people are now using the switchbacks. See the pictures below, and the report just below that from altra_ben concerning the switchbacks. ...Someone PLEASE bring back current pictures of the cables stretch!

JJ's report follows:
Quote:
I’m a PCT hiker and was trying to hitch to Horseshoe Meadows and the car ended up at Portal. I decided to just go with it and attempted to get back to the PCT via Crabtree ranger station.

I was not prepared for portal side, had done zero research, had spikes and axe but since I was following the trail and got up to the cables before deciding that wasn't the right way to go about it I went back down to camp and set up.(noonish) I told myself I'd attempt again the following day once the snow hardened. While waiting out the day and just being bored I didn't feel right about skipping PCT miles so I hiked back down to portal and hitched into Lone Pine. I'll summit Whitney from the backside (Guitar Lake) in 2-3 days.

Mt Whitney cables, June 6, 2018:

(click to enlarge)
Posted By: Adventurous Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/08/18 03:31 AM
Thanks Al_Novice! Looking forward to your updates and wish you the best of luck. Next week’s forecast is real promising (Ave H 55F). Unless I’m missing something, the switchbacks should start clearing up next week... .
My fiancé and I summited on 6/8. We had one night at Trail Camp on 6/7. We left Trail Camp a little after 330am and hit the chute around 4am. We had been told that the switchbacks were still closed due to snow on the last few. It sounds like they could be open in the next week or so, weather permitting. The snow in the chute in the early morning was really firm which made for a safe and easy (relatively) ascent. We took our time getting to the summit and back. When we got back to the chute at around 1130, the temperature/sun had considerably softened the snow in the chute. Looking from Trail Crest down the chute, to the left there was an established glissade route. However, it goes down the steepest portion of the chute and there are several exposed rocks. We traversed over to the right and after testing the snow it made for a really controlled glissade descent. We both had no experience glissading (apart from a vast amount of internet research) and were able to make it down safe and controlled. We ran into many others without any experience and they were able to safely descend as well. Big take away: the chute is relatively safe if your timing is right. Ascend early, descend in the middle of the day.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/09/18 04:47 AM
Thanks for the report, David. How was the path over the snow in the picture here: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/53042#Post53042

It's a spot part way down to the west from Trail Crest, before you get to the JMT junction.

Posted By: DavidK Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/09/18 12:55 PM
We made the climb as a single day-climb on Friday June 8, group of 10 but somewhat varying abilities and conditioning. Started at the trailhead at 3:15 and were at the chute around 8. Even at that hour, the snow was a little soft but not terrible to climb. We had a mixture of crampons and microspikes, and a few of the spikers felt a little more unsteady but all made it up with minimal problems.

Got back to the chute in mid-afternoon, and the snow was REALLY soft. But a delightful glissade, for those willing to trust their skills. I did the whole thing in two stretches, trying to urge my companions to relax and trust their stills to control speed! This technique works perfectly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXfROxEqeEw
Posted By: Vix Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/09/18 07:28 PM
Did MR route solo June 8th. Started abound 1:30 and after about an hour of route finding issues, made the chute about 7 am. There was no snow until the base of the chute and was starting to be ripe for post holing.

I mainly want to provide conditions on the final 400 as caution should be taken here. Many of the rocks as the bottom were glazed over in ice due to the thaw/freeze cycles. The only rocks not iced over were to the far left.

Once over the rocks, the final 400 was all sun cupped snow with some penitentes and still in shade at 9 am. Very solid snow/ice and think it would be difficult to get snow pickets in. It was pretty dicey climbing the last couple hundred feet with only one axe and the penitentes made it difficult to get good purchase with the front points.

Several boulders were already slung with rap rings and the slings looked in decent shape. If I could do it again, would have brought 50m rope for bail out just in case as down climbing would be difficult.

If you are not a competent climber, you may want to consider doing a different route given current conditions. The final 400 seems like it would stay pretty slick well past conditions allowing for no post-holing up the previous chute. But The "easy walk off route" looked like it was in good shape from what I could see.

Have fun out there everyone.
Posted By: Twee Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/11/18 03:04 PM
Hi David, we are heading up Sun and would love a detailed report once you get back. Not sure if you would be able to write about it right away when u get back so that we can have some updates by the time we go. Are u doing a day hike or overnight trip?
We are a little nervous with the ice and snow condition because we have no experience with them so I’m really hoping the trail conditions are better this week than it has been.
Good luck on your trip, have fun, and be safe out there
Posted By: Jim O Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/11/18 03:12 PM
How was the path over the snow in the picture here: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/53042#Post53042

It's a spot part way down to the west from Trail Crest, before you get to the JMT junction.

Steve, my recollection from earlier last week is that the trail was entirely clear from Trail Crest to the JMT. There were some snowy patches after though.
Posted By: robbie Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/11/18 03:41 PM
Did a two day trip this weekend (June 9th-10th) with a group of 10.

We camped at trail camp which had patches of snow, but was mostly clear. The wind was pretty bad the entire time we were there. I saw several tents pretty much destroyed from the wind and someone said a tent had blown into the lake the day before. Temperatures dipped below freezing (maybe high 20's) Saturday night with many of the small puddles freezing over by morning.

I left trail camp around 5:20am, reached the top of the chute around 6:20 and summited just before 8:00am. I was moving pretty quick thanks to a night of acclimating at 12,000'. The slower people in my group started at 4am and summited around 9:00am.

At 6:00am the chute was slightly icy, but I felt very solid with micro spikes and an ice axe. Most people in my group had micro spikes and hiking poles and had no problem going up. There were a few snowy/icy areas past trail crest, but nothing that required me to put on micro spikes or use my ice axe.

On the way down from the peak we were warned that several people were seriously injured on the chute. I heard a couple different stories, but from what I can gather a girl and her boyfriend were ascending the chute with Yaktraxs and hiking poles when one or both of them slipped and crashed into another group below them. They all slid down the chute and crashed into the rocks at the base. The girl broke her arm and one guy may have fractured his skull. By the time I got to them they were wrapped in sleeping bags so I did not see the extent of their injuries. People who saw them earlier said it was really bad and that they were not doing well. I could see a search and rescue helicopter for the rest of the day going back and forth trying to evac them.

After hearing about this incident everyone in my group was pretty nervous descending the chute. Using an ice axe I glissaded very slowly to the first rocky area and scrambled down a couple hundred feet before glissading down the less steep area. Everyone else inched their way down with micro spikes on facing the chute and stabbing the ground in front of them with shortened poles. It took some of them 2+ hours to get from the top of the chute to trail camp.

I would highly recommend an ice axe if you’re planning on going up in the next couple weeks. I bought one specifically for this trip and only had a couple hours at trail camp to practice the night before. Even with my lack of experience I was much better off than other people in my group. Everyone was wishing they had purchased/rented one.
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/11/18 03:57 PM
Thanks for the report Robbie! I hope those other hikers are OK. We're heading up next week, but I probably won't take my wife/son past Trail Camp without the switchbacks clear.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/11/18 05:55 PM
Robbie, thanks so much for the report.

It is good that people are being warned by reports like yours.

What I don't understand this year, is that usually, a couple of hiking groups will push up or down the switchbacks, which will make a good boot track, and then everyone hears the news and uses them. It takes about a day for the masses to really open up the switchbacks.

I just don't understand why that hasn't occurred yet this year!!!
Posted By: PeteK. Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/12/18 03:06 AM
WOW. If anyone read my trip report from Thursday, and other peoples, they would see that microspikes/Yaktraks and hiking poles are not the way to go up or down the chute....you need an ice axe and crampons to ascend and axe to descend safely. My buddy and I saw lots of people really struggling to ascend with 'spikes and poles...no idea how they fared on the way down..luckily no one got hurt that day (I don't think!?).
Stay safe out there folks!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/12/18 05:57 AM
This posted by Ellen S: Mt Whitney multiple injuries on 6/10/18

Quote:
My daughter and I left Whitney portal at 2:45 a m on June 10, 2018. Arrived at trail camp at about 7 a m. Started up chute and were considering turning back when four people slid down at over 30 mph completely out of control. They fell over 1,000 vertical feet. Screaming, bouncing, did not stop til bottom snow pack. Head injuries, broken bones, hypothermia, among injuries. Helicopters took between 5 and 8 hours. Worst accident I’ve ever witnessed. Please please do not let summit fever cloud your judgement on this stretch of the whitney trail. If anyone has an update of these climbers please post.
Posted By: KevinR Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/12/18 12:22 PM
It's also worth pointing out that just because you may be a skilled mountaineer, are competent with an ice axe and crampons, you're not out of danger when descending the 'chute below Trail Crest. Always keep an eagle eye out UPHILL for people (and rocks/ice, etc) which may be hurtling in your direction, and always have a plan about which way to go (right or left) in the event someone/thing is falling rapidly towards you. Falling without crampons is bad enough; having them on and falling is even worse. Don't become a casualty yourself.
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/12/18 06:48 PM
I keep hoping to hear any updates on the switchbacks, but nothing yet. It definitely sounds like plenty of inexperienced folks taking their chances on the chute. Not us.
Robbie, thanks so much for the report.

It is good that people are being warned by reports like yours.

What I don't understand this year, is that usually, a couple of hiking groups will push up or down the switchbacks, which will make a good boot track, and then everyone hears the news and uses them. It takes about a day for the masses to really open up the switchbacks.

I just don't understand why that hasn't occurred yet this year!!!
Posted By: trillmix Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/12/18 07:35 PM
Hi everyone - I also wanted to give back to this community thread as I relied on it heavily to prepare for my overnight trip to Whitney, and my trip had a lot more action than usual…we summited on Sunday 06/10/2018.

I was a part of Robbie's group from the prior post above, and was the last/slow group. The main Whitney trail was very well graded - it's the distance and elevation that would play the biggest factors in your ascent. I am from SoCal and did the 6 Pack of Peak challenge and that really helped me prepare for the hike, distance-wise. For the elevation, I had Diamox prescribed to me and will attribute 95% of my summit success to it. If you can get your hands on some - do it!

The hike up to Trail Camp was smooth. Beautiful trail. Trail Camp was very windy Saturday night and made it feel colder than it should have been. If it wasn't for the wind then the weather would have been a perfect temperature. The wind came in spurts but the time frame when it is the worst/really picks up is usually between 3pm-7pmish. Overall, the entire weekend had great weather! We were able to practice self-arresting and glissading on some of the slopes near Trail Camp. I highly recommend doing this before doing the real deal.

Our group of 10 split into sub-groups because of different speed and schedules. I know my body and pace and that I'd need more time for everything. My partner and I started the ascent from Trail Camp around 4am and was surrounded by celestial beauty until daybreak around 5am. You don't really need headlamps after 5/530am. From Trail Camp, follow the path to the switchbacks and hike up until the switchbacks eventually disappear into the snowy parts.

It took us 3 hours to get to the top of the chute: arrival at 7am. Chute conditions were perfect. Hard packed snow that was favorable for cramponing up. I initially was going up with hiking poles but did not feel safe or comfortable and switched them out for my ice axe. Glad I did. Don't underestimate this part. The climb up the chute was brutal for me - but the views at the top are breathtaking! Just go slow and be careful. If you can, try to find a route that already has footsteps in them. It will make for a much easier climb - think of it as climbing up steps, like on a stair master machine! Dig your toe in and secure your footing. Throw your ice axe in front of you for a self-belay.

If you want to skip some of the snow then an alternative (that was recommended to us by the Whitney Portal store owner and other groups) would be to crampon up to the pile of rocks on the chute. It's a long stretch of boulders that are pretty obvious - you can't miss it (I'll try to post photos later). Boulder-hop on those to skip some snow = once at the top, you'll have about 200-300 feet of snow left to climb up on! I would definitely recommend using the rocks if you only have hiking poles. Some people from our group had only micro spikes and hiking poles and were carefully and slowly making their way down to the pile of rocks.

It took my partner and I 2-2.5hrs to ascend from Trail Crest. Perfect weather. Even with the diamox medication, it was very hard to breath on the last 1.9 miles from Trail Crest to summit. Take it slow…

The 1.9 miles from Trail Crest to summit was in good condition! There were 2-3 sections of snow and a bit of ice, but you can get through it without traction if you do a little careful maneuvering. It wasn't enough for me to feel like I had to put on my crampons/microspikes (I had both) but definitely be careful traversing it.

On our way back down, we were told the horror stories of the series of unfortunate events that happened… We got to Trail Crest by 10am and the chute conditions were slushy/the sun was melting it already. Don't forget to wear sunscreen!! Because I sure did…

I glissaded down with my rain pants, rain shell jacket, gaiters, waterproof gloves, and an ice axe (among other things). I went very slowly as the beginning is very, very steep. I was braking with my left arm and my entire left arm is sore/done for the next couple of weeks. It is a workout! I got down the chute in 2 hours or less. From the bottom of the chute there is still a stretch of snow to walk on until you're back at the open part of the switchbacks that lead into Trail Camp. You can walk this snow stretch with just your boots, hiking poles, and careful maneuvering.
---
As for the multiple injuries that happened - they were very unfortunate and terrible. Bless those kinds souls who forgo' d their summit to become trail angels and help these folks out! I met the BF of one of the injured people and he told me that his group started to ascend from Trail Camp around 6am. His GF had crampons, no ice axe. Somewhere along the way she had unstable footing/missed a step and slipped….and it was downhill from there. Literally. Thankfully some kind souls were able to help slow down her momentum (I don't know how, didn't ask for details) so she didn't get as injured as she could have been. She had broken bones, sprains, bruises, etc. But shortly after she fell it was a domino effect. Another girl fell 30-60 seconds after she did and sustained worst injuries. The 2nd girl wasn't as high up as the 1st girl but had more serious injuries. She was initially unconscious but on my way down I saw her wrapped up in emergency space blankets in the snow, wailing/groaning. The 1st girl was wrapped in blankets on a rock, not too far from one another. I don't know how long it took search and rescue to come but I did see the helicopter attempt to land multiple times. The chute isn't exactly a place for safe landing. I could still hear the helicopters coming and going as I was making the hike back down to my car between 3pm-7:30pm.

Just some personal tips: Remember to hike your own hike and ascend slowly to acclimate properly! It's a marathon, not a race. Seriously. And, I would highly, highly, recommend crampons and an ice axe. You can get by with micro spikes, but definitely not just hiking poles. Better safe than sorry!! Doesn't matter if you're experienced or a novice - these tools will save your life! Other than that, if you have the right tools and don't underestimate the trail (aka mentally prepare and practice self-arresting/glissading) then you'll do alright! It was my first time doing anything like this and yes, it was scary, but I think it's doable with the right preparation.

Before we started our trip we were told that the temperatures were warming up and that the chute was getting slushy earlier on. I would recommend getting to the top of the chute before 8am latest and down it by 12 noon. It might be too slushy if it's any later and would bring on more potential hazards.
Posted By: Snick&Boo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/13/18 04:27 PM
Hello. I am new here, so be nice. smile
I have a day pass for 6/21. I have microspikes and an ice axe. Have used it before, but it's been awhile. I know my limitations and do not want to slide down the mountain. Que, silly question: Can I walk down the chute or sliding the ONLY option? I don't care what people think, I want to live and not see SAR on my hike. Last year we did Whitney in August, so didn't have to deal with this issue. Any advise helps!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/13/18 05:33 PM
Other posts have stated that people with microspikes have down-walked the steep slope, and have done it facing the snow. It can take two hours to get down, but it is possible. Crampons would sure be best.

If I were you, I'd plan on following the switchbacks using those spikes, both up and down. It only takes a few people to establish a walkable path on the switchbacks, even if they have snow.
planning on a day hike mid July, does anyone know if the switchbacks are typically hikable during this time of year? I know it wasn't a heavy snow year from looking at the stats on this site.
I don't have mountaineering experience so all the conversation about glissading/ice axes/crampons is a little intimidating to say the least!

Thanks!
I've got another thread going in which I've been trying to analyze the risk of climbing Whitney on a PCT/JMT hike I'm doing next week. I would be at Whitney on either Thursday June 21 or Friday June 22.

• I do not have winter mountaineering experience.
• I do not have an ice axe, nor know how to use one.
• I do have Kahtoola Microspikes (but not crampons).
• I do have trekking poles.

In my other thread...
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/53432/Whitney_reality_check:_hike_pl#Post53432

...wbtravis states:
Quote:
9 people have died in SoCal the last 3 winters...8 were utilizing light traction devices and poles.

If the trail is not an option on the north side of Forester Pass or at the Chute, skills, helmet, crampons and axe are required. You cannot self-belay with a collapsible trekking pole.

Though I really want to climb Whitney (and believe I have the physical conditioning to do it), I'm not going to assume even slight risk (much less serious risk). If necessary, I'm prepared to change my southbound hike (Kearsarge Pass to Whitney Portal) to an out-and-back hike from Kearsarge Pass.

So for me, the critical factor that will determine my hike itinerary will be: will the Mt. Whitney Trail be safely walkable (without ice axe or crampons) in its entirety by Thursday, June 21?

I'm not sure how I can know by this weekend, which is when I'll be starting my hike from Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass.

I'm an extremely fit and competent hiker who is not easily spooked. But I'm not going to assume that because some people have successfully navigated The Chute with microspikes and trekking poles means "it's safe." (Some of those people have also gotten seriously hurt.)

I'm looking for suggestions as to any other good sources of up-to-the-minute intel on the Mt. Whitney Trail (besides here!)—if anyone has any, please post up!

Thanks,
Scott
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/13/18 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: OChikers8073
planning on a day hike mid July, does anyone know if the switchbacks are typically hikable during this time of year? I know it wasn't a heavy snow year from looking at the stats on this site.
I don't have mountaineering experience so all the conversation about glissading/ice axes/crampons is a little intimidating to say the least!

Thanks!

Switchbacks should be wide open in July.
Posted By: BFR Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/13/18 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: SWriverstone
So for me, the critical factor that will determine my hike itinerary will be: will the Mt. Whitney Trail be safely walkable (without ice axe or crampons) in its entirety by Thursday, June 21?

No
Awesome! Thank you for the reply smile
Posted By: Robert W Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/13/18 09:12 PM
Why are you making the statement NO? I will be up there with large group on the 21st this month and I plan on my 8th Whitney summit via the 99 switchbacks> I know show conditions will be a little tricky but the 99 are starting to open up!
Posted By: Caroline H. Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/13/18 10:29 PM
Hi,
I am scheduled to summit on June 25th. What are the chances to have the switchbacks open by then? And even if they are open, should we assume there will be snow still and we will require ice axe and crampons?

Anyone experienced going up there on that day that wants to partner? smile

Thanks,
Caroline.
Posted By: Greg6182 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 12:51 AM
I’m with you on this one. A buddy and I intend on doing the switchbacks on the 19th next week. We’ve done them in April before so I’m not too worried about a little bit of snow. We’re happy to pack the trail for everyone else if need be.
Posted By: dunavice321 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 12:59 AM
Will my long johns tucked into my socks be enough to protect me in case my pant legs ride up while glissading or will gaiters be necessary?

Don't want to buy gaiters just for this occasion. Thanks.
Posted By: Blair Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 01:49 AM
Hey all,

I am planning a trip for the 22nd. This will be my second time on Whitney and we plan to take the switchbacks. Figured this time of year microspikes shall do. With the ever so melting snow conditions i'm hesitant on bringing an ice axe but that will be tentative pretty much the day prior to our hike. Hopefully people have been breaking in trail! If anyone has completed a summit would love to see more pictures of switchbacks and current snow conditions! Hot weather looks to be in favor of more melt off.

Cheers!
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 03:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg6182
I’m with you on this one. A buddy and I intend on doing the switchbacks on the 19th next week. We’ve done them in April before so I’m not too worried about a little bit of snow. We’re happy to pack the trail for everyone else if need be.

We will be on the trail along with you Tuesday, the 19th. If you’re camping at Trail Camp, we’ll be the family of 3. We will be taking the switchbacks early on the 20th in hopes they are passable. We’ll be traveling with micro spikes, hiking poles, and ice axes packed just in case. We might be boot packing the switchbacks along side you!
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 04:17 AM
Heard from a PR past Monday that the switchbacks are open already. But she still recommended taking the Chute.

Yesterday, I heard (will try to post the FB link once I get it) the warm weather today and tomorrow should pretty much clear the switchbacks of snow.

We are planning on using them on Jun 17th (this Sunday).
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: 203WEST
Originally Posted By: Greg6182

We will be on the trail along with you Tuesday, the 19th. If you’re camping at Trail Camp, we’ll be the family of 3. We will be taking the switchbacks early on the 20th in hopes they are passable. We’ll be traveling with micro spikes, hiking poles, and ice axes packed just in case. We might be boot packing the switchbacks along side you!

Robert W, Greg6182 and 203WEST:
You guys are to be commended for committing to the switchbacks. You will be making the hike a whole lot safer for lots of inexperienced first-timers. I can't believe people haven't packed a path on the switchers by this time already.
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 04:33 AM
Thanks! We’ll hope the best!
Posted By: al_novice Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 01:43 PM
Summited on 06/13/18. Hike Time= 8:00 ascending, 1:05 at the summit, and 6:40 descending, total time 15:45.

Left the portal at 12:45a

Got to the chute at around 5:15, conditions were perfect for climbing wearing "Hillsound Trail Crampons" and an Ice axe.

Summited around 8:45 and stayed for about an hour

Made it back to the chute around 11:00 and glissaded down. I had an ice axe, but 0 experience. It was probably one of the scariest things i've ever done.

Made it back o the portal around 4:30p

My take away: The chute is serious. Like I took it serious, after reading about it and seeing pictures on this forum, and I still under estimated it. I'm an endurance athlete, did a half ironman May 20th, and the chute killed my legs and energy going up. I only took one break from the portal to the chute, took one break before and after the chute, but then had to take 3 breaks between the chute and the summit. This may have been contributed to by the altitude as well.

Like i said I have 0 experience glissading, so maybe 11 o'clock is perfect for descending, but the snow was absolute slush and I felt like I didn't have control some of the time. I went slow, took me like 30 min to glissade, but there were a couple times i didn't think I was going to be able to stop. I would aim to try to descend the chute by about 10 o'clock.

I would not make an attempt at the chute without an ice axe, just my opinion.

Switchbacks are getting close. Like an admin said, all it will take is a couple groups to trudge through the remaining snow, and it will melt quick.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 03:39 PM
Stephen S posted a video on Facebook of a person sliding/tumbling completely out of control down "the chute" above Trail Camp, west of the switchbacks. I think you need to be a facebook member to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.schneider.969/videos/1746826488726698/
His main videos: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.schneider.969/posts/1747914878617859

WZ thread: Mt Whitney multiple injuries on 6/10/18
Can someone enlighten me as to the cables on the route up? Where exactly are they? (I'm assuming along the trail/switchbacks somewhere, but don't know where.) Are they between Trail Crest and the summit? Or between Trail Camp and Trail Crest?

A photo on page 1 of this thread showed them completely exposed and (seemingly) easy to grasp. Are they in fact there for the purpose of hanging on to while moving along the trail or ridge? Are they safe?

It sounds like many people will be taking the switchbacks over the next few days. Please keep us all posted (I wouldn't be there until Thursday June 21). I'm still waiting on a decision to go for Whitney? Or abort completely and do a different hike.

It sounds like conditions for non-winter-mountaineering experts could become considerably safer over the next 5-7 days...(allowing for continued warm, sunny weather).

Scott
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 07:10 PM
See this image http://www.whitneyzone.com/docs/BobR/switchbacks_waynep.jpg
(Make sure you are viewing full resolution)
You will see the numbers on the bottom left to the top left marking the switchbacks.
(I don't know the date of this photo though)

The fence(not really cables) is between 45 and 46.

As of June 8 this is what it looked like https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Whitney/i-d9jXJ3W/0/b5184590/O/WhitCables180606.jpg

Hope this helps.

p.s. As of today my plan is to take the switchbacks on Sunday(June 17) morning.
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 07:11 PM
Stephen S posted a video on Facebook of a person sliding/tumbling completely out of control down "the chute" above Trail Camp, west of the switchbacks. I think you need to be a facebook member to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/stephen.schneider.969/videos/1746826488726698/
His main videos: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.schneider.969/posts/1747914878617859

WZ thread: Mt Whitney multiple injuries on 6/10/18
Holy smokes! In the skiing world, we call people like that a "Jerry". Is there a comparable term in the mountaineering community?
Posted By: Mermaid14 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/14/18 07:29 PM
This is my favorite map of the switchbacks: http://www.icorva.com/Photography/Whitney/Switchbacks.JPG

There is more good information on the Hiking Guy's website.
Thanks sumo and others for the info on the cables. Great map of the switchbacks too. I'm driving from Oregon to Bishop, CA tomorrow and Saturday (arriving Saturday). I hope by then to have reliable news about the status of the switchbacks! If not, I may just hike up to Rae Lakes and go fishing. <grin>

Thanks,
Scott
Originally Posted By: Snick&Boo
Hello. I am new here, so be nice. smile
I have a day pass for 6/21. I have microspikes and an ice axe. Have used it before, but it's been awhile. I know my limitations and do not want to slide down the mountain. Que, silly question: Can I walk down the chute or sliding the ONLY option? I don't care what people think, I want to live and not see SAR on my hike. Last year we did Whitney in August, so didn't have to deal with this issue. Any advise helps!

Hello, Snick&Boo. While some of us can get frustrated and a little impatient with newbies who think they know everything, nobody will jump on you for asking an honest newbie question. We all started as newbies, and, admit it or not, we all did stupid stuff when we were starting out.

Glissading is mostly a newbie thing. Newbies usually think it’s cool and fun, and “everybody” does it. Sometimes it really is the best way down, but it usually it isn’t. You can easily get hurt, you can destroy an expensive pair of pants, and you can get your ass cold and wet (which may not matter in June, but it can be a big deal in winter). The first professional guide service I climbed with discouraged glissading, and I’ve only done it a few times since.

The safest way down is to face the snow and walk backwards, kicking steps as you go. Depending on conditions, it can work with or without crampons and with or without an axe. I descended a couloir near Mt. Colosseum this way just yesterday. It was soft snow, and I got by with crappy boots, crampons, and no axe.

My favorite way to descend is to face out, and just walk down plunging my heels into the snow. Depending on conditions, you can do this with either an axe or ski poles. I did this just yesterday with bare boots and ski poles lower on the mountain.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 12:01 AM
Originally Posted By: SWriverstone
Can someone enlighten me as to the cables on the route up? Where exactly are they? (I'm assuming along the trail/switchbacks somewhere, but don't know where.) Are they between Trail Crest and the summit? Or between Trail Camp and Trail Crest?

A photo on page 1 of this thread showed them completely exposed and (seemingly) easy to grasp. Are they in fact there for the purpose of hanging on to while moving along the trail or ridge? Are they safe?

It sounds like many people will be taking the switchbacks over the next few days. Please keep us all posted (I wouldn't be there until Thursday June 21). I'm still waiting on a decision to go for Whitney? Or abort completely and do a different hike.

It sounds like conditions for non-winter-mountaineering experts could become considerably safer over the next 5-7 days...(allowing for continued warm, sunny weather).

Scott

Scott, you can see them in the upper right corner of this SAR rescue picture from Sunday's mess -- click on the second picture. The cables are visible in the upper right of the picture.
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/53410/Mt_Whitney_multiple_injuries_o#Post53445

They are in fact there to help people navigate that section when the snow covers the trail like that. People walk on the outside until the snow melts down enough. Going up the switchbacks, until the cables section clears up, everyone should have some sort of traction devices. It is worst early in the morning when everything is icy. And things ice-up in the late afternoon when the sun drops behind the crest on the west.
- - - - - - - - - -

Mermaid14: Wayne Pyle created your favorite map. He has since passed on, but his map lives. (Big version here). He also added the switchback numbers to the picture linked by sumo (above). Here's a thread from 2011 where he posted a reply: Counting Switchbacks
Posted By: NaniTree Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 01:20 AM
I will be hiking up Whitney this Sunday (The 17th) and am trying to make the call on whether or not crampons and ice axes will be necessary for us to bring.

Last year I hiked up July 2nd and from what I'm hearing on the board, the conditions are comparable to last year in July(after the very snowy/wet winter) when it was still very snowy but clearing up.

Last year was my first time using crampons and an ice axe. After watching a bunch of YouTube videos and talking to the people who I rented the gear from, we felt pretty comfortable using it. Glissading is fun if you get the hang of it. The key is to begin the glissading decent down the snow while the snow is still soft. Also, know how to self arrest. I'll also mention that last year my sister and I glissaded to the right(facing downhill) of the chute as to avoid the traffic in the chute and the slickness of the chute. It worked out for us.

Planning on calling the Park Rangers tomorrow so I can make a good call on whether to bring the ice axes or not. I'm hoping to take the 99 switchbacks. I'm a pretty experienced hiker, I'm comfortable with scrambling, but I don't want to be stuck on a snowy/icy slope without the support and leverage of an ice axe.

If anyone comes back and can share the conditions before Saturday, it would be much appreciated! I'll make sure to loop back here and share my experience next week when I return.
I too will be summiting on the 21st. Party of four. We are planning for switchbacks. Staying at trail camp on Wednesday the 20th. My son and I summitted last year on July 11th. From photos I’ve seen, it doesn’t look much worse now than it was then. We did switchbacks then too. Just be safe and smart!!!

I’ll post photos after the trip as well as trail conditions.
Posted By: AC780 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 03:01 PM
I am planning on climbing Whitney as a day hike on June 27th. I hear that the switchbacks should be usable very soon and plan to take them. Does the trail after trail crest have snow/ice on it as well? Also, do you think the conditions will still require microspikes/crampons by the 27th?

Thanks
Posted By: Robert W Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 04:17 PM
Thanks and have a great hike! My team is doing the 22miles in and out same day starting at 2:30 am on the 21st. Say hi if you run into a 6'6" guy on the trail

Robert is my name.
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: sumo
Heard from a PR past Monday that the switchbacks are open already. But she still recommended taking the Chute.

Yesterday, I heard (will try to post the FB link once I get it) the warm weather today and tomorrow should pretty much clear the switchbacks of snow.

We are planning on using them on Jun 17th (this Sunday).

Spoke to a PR again and as of today they are still recommending the Chute with crampons and ice axe. She claims the cabled section of the switchbacks still has snow and no traffic through it yet for any hiking path.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 09:20 PM
sumo, who is this "PR" you are talking to? By "PR" do you mean "Park Ranger"?  
The Whitney Zone isn't in any "park", so PR is confusing. It is in the Inyo National Forest. While the peak is in Sequoia National Park, I doubt anyone from that park is paying any attention to trails outside their park.

Whoever it is, I wish they would stop telling people this. It is now way past the time, compared to other years, when people have switched over to using the switchbacks. If you have an ice axe and crampons, there is NO place on the switchbacks that cannot be easily navigated. If you DON't have traction equipment, then using the chute is highly dangerous when it is icy (mornings and later afternoons through the night).

Posted By: Adventurous Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 10:19 PM
Is it easier/safer to ascend the Chute before the sunrise (3am) while it is icy or it is best to do so when the snow soften up in early morning (7am)? We will be using ice axe and crampons. Also, any last updates on the switchbacks? The conditions change daily in this time of the year so I thought to check for one last time before summiting on Monday. I’d really appreciate your help.
Hopefully we’ll hear something by later this evening of people starting to use the switchbacks!
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 10:56 PM
sumo, who is this "PR" you are talking to? By "PR" do you mean "Park Ranger"?  

Yes. But I'm getting my information from calling the Eastern Sierra Visitor Center. Is US Forest Service better? I can edit my posts so no one else is confused.

Whoever it is, I wish they would stop telling people this. It is now way past the time, compared to other years, when people have switched over to using the switchbacks.

I'm hoping you are right! Will be there tomorrow.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/15/18 11:17 PM
> But I'm getting my information from calling the Eastern Sierra Visitor Center. Is US Forest Service better?

Well, the desk-rangers at the VC seem to love to dole out advice to people, and sometimes it isn't quite on the mark. I've seen cases where they got their information dead wrong.

Good luck tomorrow!! Let us know how the switchbacks look. smile
Great news the switchbacks are good to go! Just got a response on my Instagram that about 10 people cleared them a few days ago!
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: BohemianJess
Great news the switchbacks are good to go! Just got a response on my Instagram that about 10 people cleared them a few days ago!

Thank you!!

I'll sleep better tonight.
Someone also responded that there was a small stretch tues that may need a ice axe and micro spikes but the rest was completely clear... hoping the first person is right
Just spoke to someone who finished hiking today and the switchbacks are cleared, only a few small patches of light snow!&#128077;
Posted By: Snick&Boo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 04:11 AM
@bobpickering Thank you so much for your advise! This newbie appreciates it!!
Posted By: Snick&Boo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 04:12 AM
Thank you Steve C!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 05:28 AM
B.Jess: Thanks for reporting this. By the way, what Instagram feed are you following?

This early, the switchback trail at the cables will still have significant snow. There may be so much yet that people might need to hang onto the cables and walk on the outside. If you're sure-footed and trust your own grip, you might be able to go without microspikes or anything, but that makes it a bit more risky.

It is amazing that it took SO long this year for anyone to come through and tell everyone that the switchbacks are open. In previous years with similar snowfall, it certainly happened earlier.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 05:39 AM
Here's a picture of the top switchback of the 99 switchbacks, posted today 6-15-2018) on Instagram by mg_needs.

You can see how little snow there is on the trail.
It was reported (above) today that "about 10 people cleared The switchbacks a few days ago!"   See the trip report just below.

Second picture showing the crest between the JMT junction and the summit.

Posted By: Bojo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 02:32 PM
Thanks Jess and Steve for the Switchback updates. I will be attempting to make the summit via the switchbacks in the early morning hours of Monday June 25 will two 11 year olds. If anyone has any beta on the switchbacks as it comes available, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Posted By: altra_ben Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 02:37 PM
I led a group of 10 up to the summit yesterday and successfully took the switchbacks in both directions. I can confirm that the switchbacks are not only open, but actually very clear!

Like most on this board with permits around this time, I scanned for the last few weeks waiting for a glimpse of the conditions with no luck. My group was extremely mixed in experience (not ability) with some having never used any of the equipment; ice axe, crampons, microspikes, or trekking poles. With that in mind we made a group decision that we would take our time and go up the switch back blazing the trail if necessary for those in our group (and others on this forum) with less experience.

The switchbacks were 90% dry, 9% light ice that melts by mid morning into running streams, and 1% snow that becomes slushy by mid morning. I feel very confident that nearly anyone with any level of experience can make it with microspikes (true microspikes, not those ones with little pins like golf shoes) and poles. We had one in our group with no poles (or ice axe) and a couple that never got their microspikes out of the bag - for reference.

The first of the 2 primary "tough" sections is the cables... the snow is down to about a 15 foot section where the cables themselves tilt perpendicular to the trail. We had a little bit of anxiety with one of our noobs in this section, so we actually used the ice axe a carved out about a 12-15" wide path to walk it... you still want to be surefooted each step and I would use microspikes for safety, but it should be good - our anxious member made it and was later crossing other snow sections with confidence!

The second of the 2 primary "tough" sections is the very top of the switchbacks headed into Trail Crest. This section is about 75 feet long and is not difficult when the snow is still frozen from the night, you just need to watch your step and use a pole for balance... the tricky parts are: 1) there has been some post holes made that you don't want to fall down and 2) after mid morning when things get slushy its obviously more slick and easier to post hole. If you're patient it shouldn't be a problem - even our least experienced person in the group took no more than 4-5min to cross.

In my opinion, I would not be glissadding the chute at this point... I did watch people successfully do it, but there are little exposed rock points all the way down and I would hate to catch one on my a$$ and ruin a great trip! A few in our group (the more experienced) wanted to do it to speed things up, but we wanted to keep everyone together as well...

Timeline for us:
2:20am - Portal
5:20am - Trail Camp (20min for water fill ups)
6:20am - Cables (about 20min here clearing trail with ice axe)
8:10am - Trail Crest
9:20-10:30am - Peak (split into two groups for the descent at 10:30a)
11:15am & 11:45am - Trail Crest
12:05pm & 1:20pm - Trail Camp
1:40pm - Portal (first group)
4:15pm - Portal (second group)

I would love to post pics and may get to eventually, but others in my group have them and we're off to some work events in Mammoth and Tahoe areas... feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer as available. In a nut shell, if you have microspikes and poles, I have little doubt you will make it up the switchbacks with a little patience, a sunrise ascent and late morning, early afternoon descent.

Thanks!
Posted By: Bojo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 03:02 PM
Thank you so much for the update. Now I can start to get excited about our trip!
Originally Posted By: altra_ben

Timline for us:
12:05pm & 1:20pm - Trail Camp
1:40pm - Portal (first group)
4:15pm - Portal (second group)

Thanks!

The first group went from Trail Camp to Portal in 1 hour 35 minutes? Were they trail runners?
Posted By: altra_ben Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 04:11 PM
Yes, our entire group is a mix of runners (some trail/ultra) that work for Altra and some were itching to open it up a bit on the descent ;P. Others not as accustomed to the mountains were content to hike it out...
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 04:27 PM
Thanks Ben for the great update!
You’re probably the one I spoke to on ig, or someone from your group! Regardless thank you for the detailed update!! Much appreciated!!!
Posted By: Adventurous Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/16/18 11:50 PM
Just picked up our permits from the ranger station. We were informed the switchbacks are certainly usable and currently safer than the Chute. We intend to summit through the switchbacks on Monday.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/17/18 03:10 AM
Andrew W posted these pictures at the cables on 6/16/2018   ( from facebook ):

Andrew W posted these pictures at the cables on 8/16/2018  

Cool, can I borrow his time machine?:)
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/18/18 05:37 AM
Here's an excellent report posted on FB by Abhijit K:

Quote:
For the people who are interested in switchbacks and in general hiking Whitney soon. Our group of 6 summited it on June 15. We started our hike on June 14, from Whitney portal and stayed at trail camp. Next morning (June15) we started around 6am for summit, reached trail crest at 9:45 am and summit at noon. We had micro spikes, poles and Ice axes and used switchbacks for going up and coming down. Switchbacks are not completely snow free but with ice axes and micro spikes we managed it and after us we met many people who actually used them.

There are couple of major spots though, where you need to take precaution. First is at cables ( in fact we saw a couple walking down after they saw snow at cables, as they were not comfortable), where we have to use caution and ice axes to cross the section. The other part is where switchback connects trail crest. That part is still under heavy snow and difficult to navigate. To avoid that, we hiked up the mountain behind it and traverse to trail crest (20 minute detour and no snow). This part was bit strenuous and may not be useful for everyone. It is important that you take your own time and pace. We were slow but super-cautious in our ascent and took almost 4 hours to reach Trail crest.

After that, last 1.9 miles were like 5 miles, very tiring but worth it at the end. Started heading down around 12:30. Going down on the switchbacks also was little tricky at the same spots I mentioned before, so we followed our exact same strategy that we used for ascent. This is our journey and use this information as per your hiking and navigation skills.

His picture:
Posted By: JMH Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/18/18 01:23 PM
We have overnight permits for june 26th. No one in our group has ever used an ice axe, crampons, or micro. The plane tickets can be rebooked. So we are on the fence as to whether we should reschedule. For me these snow fields are too sketchy. So my question is how much melt might occur in this next week. This is my 5th trip to Whitney so I know the exposure with snow being at the cables and last switchback is more than I want to deal with.
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/18/18 05:18 PM
From my post on the Trip reports section.

Originally Posted By: sumo
Completed an over night trip to Mt. Whitney Summit starting on Saturday June 16 and summiting and descending on June 17.

Whitney Portal to Trail camp is great and clear. There is one part with about a foot of snow on a flat area and it's well packed to cross just before trail camp.

Many people are using the 99 switchbacks. I can estimate in the time that we were on it we saw at least 20 people. Some with just hiking shoes and poles.

Many people are also using the chute to glissade down and hike up. But the snow is getting thin on the chute.

The 99 switchbacks still have 7 snow patches that are fully covering the trail. 2 of them were a bit tricky.

Note: The snow patches are melting heavily but hard to estimate when they will completely clear.

Unfortunately, in my opinion two of the trickiest parts may take the longest to clear. Good news is they are being crossed by hikers now and the snow is well very well packed by usage in these parts. The snow is hard early morning so offers for better grip if you are using ice axe and micro crampons or yak tracks. It was was getting soft and slushy by 11am where there is better grip on the packed trail but ice axe may simply sink into the snow completely. For details read below.

Not so tricky parts of the snow patches...
There are 4 parts on the trail and 3 at the edge of the switch backs. Both at the edge of the switchbacks can be avoided by simply scrambling up/down to the next level. Easy! Or you can use the snow path that is packed. Little difficult. So look for scrambling paths where there is snow covering any switch back turns. Note: The path to the cables is one of these.

The two straight paths on the trail are well packed by foot so they can be crossed easily as well. However, having an ice axe helped me feel safe. One of the paths had about a 20ft slide slope.

Now the 2 tricky parts...
One is by the cables which about only 10 feet long but it's at a very steep part of that stretch and it's iced at the top due to lots of snow melt that is falling from above and freezing on the shaded snow on the trail. The packed path is setup in a way that you have to walk above the cable fence height to cross.

The other is near trail crest. This is about 40ft long. This is where the glissaders start their slide from the top. So there is a good 1000+ feet drop from this point.

We had to use ice axe and crampons/yak tracks to cross these points. We saw some people do it with just hiking poles and shoes.

Good luck to the hikers that are going in the next couple of weeks. Be safe, careful and enjoy!

Please post any questions you have and I'll answer.

Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/18/18 05:22 PM

Confirm this is how it was as of yesterday. This is only 10 feet long. Be safe, feel safe and use micro crampons or yak tracks and ice axes to cross these parts.

It helped that we had a person in our group who had experience using ice axes for support.
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/18/18 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: JMH
We have overnight permits for june 26th. No one in our group has ever used an ice axe, crampons, or micro. The plane tickets can be rebooked. So we are on the fence as to whether we should reschedule. For me these snow fields are too sketchy. So my question is how much melt might occur in this next week. This is my 5th trip to Whitney so I know the exposure with snow being at the cables and last switchback is more than I want to deal with.

This is a bit tricky. The snow is melting fast and it's possible it will all clear by the 27th. Watch the weather reports. (I assume you will stay at the trail camp on 26th and attempt to summit on 27th).

I can tell you having someone with ice axe experience helped me tremendously. Without this person I would have turned around at the cables. I summited and returned through the switchbacks on June 17.
Posted By: sumo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/18/18 09:27 PM
Pic(taken on June 17, 2018) of the snow covered trail near Trail Crest.

https://prnt.sc/jwh1qf
Posted By: Twee Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/19/18 12:14 PM
Hey everyone, I just got back from Whitney today 6/18/18 (same day as Andrew W, pretty sure his date was a typo but I totally understand he’s probably exhausted because Whitney was no joke)

First of all, I notice there are lots of people here with different experiences such as altra-ben who is Superman, people who hike long distance/high elevation a lot, and there are people like me (37 y.o) who hike 3-6 mile trails and work out everyday thinking that I’m fit enough for Whitney.

I’ll skip the hike to Trail Camp since that’s pretty straight forward but the elevation on that hike was like level 6/10, and since we were camping on Sunday the 17th, we did take our time, took us 7.5hrs

As for the switchbacks, we started at 4:30am and got to trail crest 9am. Parts of the trail were very icy that early in the morning so be very careful. We found that there were 3 “death obstacles” and about 4 “oh shit” parts. Some “oh shit” parts were scrambling rocks but on a steep hill with lots of sliding rocks and some snow. Scary yes, difficult no. Going up was way easier than going down

Death obstacle 1: by the cables, that picture that Andrew W posted is accurate. It’s a steep drop off and icy because ice melts coming down on it and the sun doesn’t hit it as much but it’s a short stretch. The 4 of us were very scared for our lives since we have no experience with ice axe or microspikes. It literally scared the shit out of one girl in our group and she took a shit right after that snowed in cable

Death obstacle 2: after the cable there’s a long stretch of thick snow that covered the trail but there were deep obvious foot print and the snow was hard enough so we didn’t use spikes but it’s kinda long but half as scary as the first one

Death obstacle 3: right before trail crest, this one is a little sketchy, not enough snow to feel safe because on the mountain side it was down to rocks in some parts so I couldn’t stab the axe in. Couple foot path spot were wet dirt, and not enough foot print to follow so I would say scariness level close to the first but this part will probably clear next week since there’s not much snow left

Trail crest: like veryone said, longest 1.9 miles ever! We took 2-3 breaths per step because elevation. Level 9/10 for sure. Took us 2.5hrs to summit

The switchbacks on the way back was not as scary because we’ve done them before but they were more difficult because it’s hard to stablelize your axe in slushy snow and steps were a little more icy but we took our time and made it back

The hike back to portal same day was as brutal. Elevation wise no problem but I was hurting everywhere and it seems like I’ve been walking for days. Took us 4hrs down from trail camp

I know our pace may seem really slow but I just wanted to put some perspectives for novice hikers on here so they know what to expect. We did see a lot of people blazing that trail fast like elevation was no big deal (although they did have only a day pack and we had 35lbs each). We did see some people going thru those death obstacles with ice axe and no spikes so it depends on how confident you are with ur footing and whether you want to take that risk

Anyway, have a good day everyone. I think those snow patches will completely clear in a couple of weeks but not before that unless another big group will trek through and clear it.

Please be careful and be safe out there. Remember to wear sunscreen or better yet one of those neck uv protection thing and cover your face. My face is completely sunburn, windburn, chillburn and it’s kinda dusty out there so it helps protect your throat and nostrils since you’re breathing pretty hard
Posted By: Mauricio Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/19/18 04:32 PM
Excellent report, Twee. I thank you profusely for it, as I'm leading a group of 6 this Friday (to Trail Camp and Saturday to the summit and back).
Posted By: shri Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/19/18 10:51 PM
Very true Twee!
Our group (3 of us), summited the same day (Mon, 06/18) and we had the same moments that your report mentions.

We started at 3.30 am, and the icy patches on the switchbacks were very slippery. At times, we were using the ice axe to break the ice on the trail to get a better grip. We did carry crampons, it was too taxing to put them on and remove them for the occasional patches, and walking with them on for all the other rocky parts of the trail would have taken a toll on our knees. As of the snow patches, since it was a cold early morning, neither could we kick in steps.

I have climbed the shoot last year, but this time, one of us was a first timer, so preferred the switchbacks.

Apparently, I think the mistake on our part was that we came prepared to climb the shoot, but not the switchbacks. Microspikes would have been easier to use.

Here are some of the images - https://imgur.com/a/4XWA5OV

Overall it was a great hike, but for folks attempting for the first time, please look the pictures being shared and be careful on the trail.
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/20/18 04:03 AM
I was also hoping for someone to post the latest on the switchbacks. We are hiking this Friday and hoping the snow patches are gone.
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/20/18 04:09 AM
Thank you for your detailed update. We are going on Friday and I am like you, hiked shorter trails and work out but nothing like Whitney. My biggest fear is the icy and slippery parts. So you would say crampons or microspikes? I just got my permit this morning for Friday and running around trying to get all my gear. Microspikes were expensive at REI and they only had one kind at my REI. Can't order online because we are leaving Thursday morning.
Posted By: WSC Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/20/18 04:18 PM
Maybe just buy some at REI and keep them in your pack, then return them unopened if you don't end up using them! For future trips, Amazon has some for $20-30 FYI
Lone Pine also has some mountain shops that are pretty well stocked surprisingly. I'm sure you can find some there!
Posted By: Twee Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/20/18 06:34 PM
Evelyn, if you’re sure footed and not afraid of height unlike me then I think you can do without (But please don’t take that as good advice) and I would hate to get all the way up there and have to turn around because you don’t have the right tools to summit. I agree with the others to get into town early and check their supplies.
Good luck!
Evelyn
I hiked the switchbacks on tuesday. I used just hiking boots and trecking poles. I would call it very unsafe. Clearing the cables was the most dangerous thing I've done in a looong time. I crossed without incident but if I was a praying man i would have been praying to the lord incessantly that the snow didn't give out as I was holding on to it. It is a very precarious situation. I'm not sure what it will look like Friday but it was still very much an obstacle on Tuesday.
Posted By: JMH Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 01:22 AM
Thanks Mike and all who posted updates. What is everyones best guess for how much will melt by june 26th. We are scheduled to fly out Friday. We can reschedule because we don't want to cross that snow field. We don't know how to use an ice axe or any of the traction shoes. I've seen the exposure at the cables and the last Switchback and the snow is not for us.
Posted By: Professor Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 02:33 AM
Thanks to everyone who has posted current conditions and pics. If anyone is going soon please keep us updated right after until the snow/ice conditions are gone. I am going June 28th and will post the next day for those going right after me.
Posted By: NA327 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 04:49 AM
Here's an excellent series of pictures/videos from Instagram showing the cables section. I don't know when these were taken-- I don't know this person, I just searched Instagram for #mtwhitney-- but they were posted just a few hours ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkREJ-jAbHQ/?hl=en
Thanks to those who posted trip reports. Appreciate it. Looking to do the hike this weekend, day trip.

For those who recently did the hike, at the cable section - it looks like the foot path is well defined for crossing. Is it as scary as people make it seem? Even if something happens and you accidentally slip, wouldn't the cable stop you from continue down further or no.. unless you slip underneath the cable, if that makes sense.

I haven't been on the switchbacks before so just curious. Did the chute last year.
Posted By: Brian in VT Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 05:29 PM
Like others posting, I will be hiking Whitney via the switchbacks soon and am anxious for information on conditions, particularly at the infamous cables and any other trouble spots, as well as for advice on gear.

My permit is for June 28. Day hike with my adult son.

I realize conditions will be changing over the next week, but I am flying out from Vermont on 6/23 and 6/24 will be my best chance to buy any gear I might need, so I'll have to make some decisions ahead of time.

I plan to take my ice axe, but not my crampons. I have traction devices - one pair StabiLicers, one pair Diamond Grips (made by YakTrax, I think). Will these suffice or should I buy microspikes?
I plan to pick up an ice axe for my son and then was thinking of getting one pair of hiking poles, so we'd each have an axe and one pole at the icy spots. I have never felt a need for poles, but looking at the photos posted here, I can see how they might give an extra sense of balance at the difficult spots.

Of course, it would be great to not have to buy anything or to carry the extra weight, so if anyone can tell me that it has melted enough that gear is not necessary, it would be great to hear that.

Opinions? Advice?
Posted By: WSC Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 06:59 PM
I'm hiking this weekend (overnight permit for Saturday 6/23). Can anyone tell me what temps to expect at Trail Camp overnight? From this site I'd estimate lows in the 40s, does that sound reasonable for folks that have been up recently?
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 08:52 PM
Thank you. Was able to find 3 permits for July 12th so now going in three weeks and will order my microspikes on Amazon.
Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 10:40 PM
Hey all... My wife, son, and I just finished our hike. We started Tuesday (6/19) and summited from Trail Camp on Wednesday (6/20). The switchbacks are clearing, but as noted, there are few snowy/icy spots that need a little caution, but aren't too scary for most hikers. I would recommend taking microspikes for the next couple weeks, since those snowy/icy spots are tramped in solid, and not a lot of sunlight hitting them.

Oh, and if the rangers at the permit desk pull out the photo posted above of the helmeted kid clinging to the snow, and tell you that the Chute is the preferred route - don't believe them. I didn't see a single person ascend or descend the Chute on our trip.

The cable section is mostly clear (a dry path downhill of the snow, but uphill of the cables). Two to three switchback sections are being bypassed, which makes for a little bit of scrambling, but not too difficult. It's unstable ground though, so I found these spots the most precarious. Careful scrambling up these as you might send a bowling ball-sized stone down on your climbing partner.

There are two straight-line sections (photo posted earlier by someone else) with one of them being right before Trail Crest. These spots will probably remain for a while, but aren't difficult with microspikes and hiking poles. There is one funky path that's been created at the western edge of the last section that takes you up and over a muddy spot. Be careful here as you're probably so focused on the snowy stuff and might forget the muddy stuff.

Hope that helps! Good luck to all, and thanks to those prior that helped us out with important info!

If I can get this to work right, here are some shots looking west through the cable section on Wednesday, June 20th (6am ish)

Posted By: 203WEST Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: WSC
I'm hiking this weekend (overnight permit for Saturday 6/23). Can anyone tell me what temps to expect at Trail Camp overnight? From this site I'd estimate lows in the 40s, does that sound reasonable for folks that have been up recently?

Trail Camp on Tuesday night was surprisingly mild, and not windy. I estimate it was in the 30's, but didn't freeze. I'd recommend you Google "Whitney Weather" and look for the Trail Camp forecast. It will vary day to day.
Posted By: Wiff Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/21/18 11:17 PM
This guy has good weather for base, trail camp and summit:

https://www.timberlinetrails.com/WhitneyWeather.html
Yay I'll be hiking the same day. Happy trails smile
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/22/18 12:55 AM
Thank you for posting. I am going for a day hike on July 12th and your posting helps a lot. Couldn't open the links to your pictures.
Posted By: Kendell Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/22/18 01:42 AM
Super excited and nervous for our scheduled hike on July 2nd. Thank you everyone for all of the updates on the conditions and suggestions for equipment.
We are day hiking Whitney and will definitely practice with our headlamps prior to our registered day. Please keep the information and pictures coming......love seeing everyone's success stories!
Posted By: Caroline H. Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/22/18 05:07 AM
Thank you all for the great feedback, it helps to get ready! I am going this weekend, first time ever, trail camp on Sunday and summit on Monday. Definitely bringing crampons and ice axe.
Will provide feedback when I come back! smile
Posted By: bighead Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/23/18 02:29 PM
Any new updates? We are coming from the west side of Mt Whitney July 2nd and trying to decide if we need to carry axes or micro spikes.
Hiked to trail camp on Wednesday. Group of four. Two of us are in our forties, two aged 17. Me and the (then) 16 year olds successfully summitted in July 2017. Snow conditions were much worse then than they are now.

A word of caution: last year I made sure my son and his buddy hiked at my pace. About a mile an hour. This is recommended to help your body acclimate. We all made it, successfuly summitted, no problems with altitude. This year, my son and his buddy booked it up the mountain (carrying 35 pound packs), got terrible headaches, and were unable to summit.

My friend and I however took a slow pace. 6.1/2 hours to trail camp. (This includes stopping for lunch on the way) Neither of us had any problems with altitude.

We summitted on Thursday 6/21. Four hours from trail camp to summit. We took the switchbacks. We had microspikes but they were not needed. Very few snow crossings. Trekking poles still very useful at snow crossing at cables.

There are no water crossings that require water shoes. Trail is good. Lots of places to resupply water on trail from portal to trail camp. But, take lots of water from trail camp! I took two liters to summit and still ran out.

Took us 2 1/2 hours to get from summit to trail camp. Packed up our gear, left trail camp at 5:00 and got down to portal at 8:00. With the exception of my boy and his buddy getting headaches, it was a good trip. Really windy at trail camp and summit tho. Stake your tent, bring ear plugs, and dress accordingly. It was not cold except for the bite of the wind.

Be safe. Happy trails.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/24/18 07:54 AM
Thanks, hsmike! VERY interesting story regarding the tortoise and the hare experiences. I'll post your report for the Altitude Acclimatization fb group.

...so where do you frequent around Fresno?
Hey Steve! Didn’t notice you were from Fresno. I live in sunnyside area (Fowler and kings canyon), teach philosophy at FCC, and get over to metalmark when I can. I also spend an inordinate amount of time at REI lol. Otherwise, I try to get up to Sequoia/Kings Canyon and Yosemite as often as I can. Let me know if you want to meet up some time.
Posted By: Jay Garcia Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/25/18 06:09 PM
if I understood correct they did it in 3 hours, portal to trail camp which is a little above 3000 elevation gain, I agree they ware moving fast.

thanks for the report.
Posted By: meltedcheez Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/25/18 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: highsierramike
Hiked to trail camp on Wednesday. Group of four. Two of us are in our forties, two aged 17. Me and the (then) 16 year olds successfully summitted in July 2017. Snow conditions were much worse then than they are now.

A word of caution: last year I made sure my son and his buddy hiked at my pace. About a mile an hour. This is recommended to help your body acclimate. We all made it, successfuly summitted, no problems with altitude. This year, my son and his buddy booked it up the mountain (carrying 35 pound packs), got terrible headaches, and were unable to summit.

My friend and I however took a slow pace. 6.1/2 hours to trail camp. (This includes stopping for lunch on the way) Neither of us had any problems with altitude.

We summitted on Thursday 6/21. Four hours from trail camp to summit. We took the switchbacks. We had microspikes but they were not needed. Very few snow crossings. Trekking poles still very useful at snow crossing at cables.

There are no water crossings that require water shoes. Trail is good. Lots of places to resupply water on trail from portal to trail camp. But, take lots of water from trail camp! I took two liters to summit and still ran out.

Took us 2 1/2 hours to get from summit to trail camp. Packed up our gear, left trail camp at 5:00 and got down to portal at 8:00. With the exception of my boy and his buddy getting headaches, it was a good trip. Really windy at trail camp and summit tho. Stake your tent, bring ear plugs, and dress accordingly. It was not cold except for the bite of the wind.

Be safe. Happy trails.

I'm pretty sure I ran across your boys on Wednesday while doing a prep hike up to Lone Pine Lake on the 20th. They were moving pretty fast and passed me right as I was getting to the lake junction. I remember because I asked where they were from and they mentioned Fresno. I was raised in Fresno but live in southern Cali now. Then I saw them on my way back down from the summit on Thursday and they mentioned not summitting due to altitude symptoms.

I summitted on Thursday(21st) with my cousin. We were the ones smoking a cigar up there. ;-)

We started at 2:15am: 4 1/2 hours to Trail Camp and 4 hours from trail camp to summit. An hour and forty minutes at the summit (due to cigar) and 6 1/2 hours back to the portal from summit.
Posted By: meltedcheez Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/25/18 07:01 PM
Originally Posted By: bighead
Any new updates? We are coming from the west side of Mt Whitney July 2nd and trying to decide if we need to carry axes or micro spikes.

Summitted on the 21st wearing trail runners and using trekking poles. Had microspikes but didn't use them. My cousin left his ice axe in the truck at the portal and it worked out not having to carry that extra weight. It was a little icy on a few sections of the switchbacks but careful foot selection and taking it slow is enough. In the afternoon the sun made it slushy which presented a different issue with footing, but again just be cautious and take your time through those sections if they still have snow on the 2nd.
Posted By: hikerkev Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/25/18 07:14 PM
Hey guys -- long time reader but first time post. I've hiked Whitney a couple times as day hikes and doing it again July 9. I usually just fill my 3 liter camelbak and bring a lifestraw, but I saw Bob's list of water sources and about how they are safe to drink from. I was curious about the runoff (or spring?) on the south side of bighorn park. Where exactly is this, and is it easy to find? Is he talking about the waterfall on the west side of the park? Thanks!
Posted By: hikerkev Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/25/18 08:18 PM
Also,

I just read about using the old trail to save .3 miles each way that joins up with the main trail near the Muir Wilderness sign. Has anyone used this recently? Is it easy enough to find/follow?
Old trail is easy enough to find/ follow, but the new trail is much easier to hike. It's not worth the distance saved. I have done both.
Posted By: jokismo Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/26/18 02:06 AM
My gf and I summited 6/24 around 3.30PM coming up from the backside at the end of a cross country trip.
Not sure what time I got to the switchbacks, must have been around 4-5ish. The snow on the couple sections mentioned previously in posts was EXTREMELY SOFT. I was very glad to have my ice axe, as my foot postholed into the snow 1+ feet at times, causing me to almost slip over the edge.
At the cables section, a man ahead of us actually postholed and slipped off the snowpatch, his skid was luckily stopped by one of the cables posts, and the person infront of him dragged him up. Microspikes / crampons are useless at this hour due to the extreme softness of the snow.
I was still able to get a good anchor with my axe on the snow mound.
In conclusion, not sure when these patches will melt out, but if you do not have an ice axe I recommend descending early before the snow becomes too soft.

Edit: We were carrying overnight packs but the guy that slipped was carrying basically nothing, so not a weight issue.
Yep. Those were the boys. Sigh.
Posted By: Kimmy Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/28/18 05:26 PM
Thank you, this was extremely helpful and gave me much needed perspective.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/28/18 07:00 PM
Here's a picture of the last snow along the cables section of the switchbacks, June 27, 2018. Looks like this is pretty easy to pass. Additional comments reported that this is the only snow to walk over on any of the switchbacks. The top section near Trail Crest is also clear.

Note that it has taken just 12 days to go from just-passable to nearly dry. See the old pics here.

Posted by Angie M on fb.

(click to enlarge)
Amazing. Thank you for posting, any news about the area around trail crest that had a lot of snow as well?
Posted By: rdev Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/29/18 02:30 PM
Hello
We were 3 people that went up the mountain yesterday, 6/28.
1. Update on snow at the cables: its clear and not a hazard anymore smile. You can easily walk up and down on one side on solid rock (going up, cables on right). I would guess the remaining snow on this section will be all clear in next 10 days max.
2. absolutely no snow anywhere, ex small parts where you have no real exposure or risk of fall. So you definitely don't need spikes.
3. Given the low snow-pack, what surprised us was the amount of water still on the trail. The usual approach to Outpost had decent water and very surprisingly decent amount of water coming down the switchbacks, till the cables, so about midway. This is nothing you need to worry about but just need to be more alert. This should hopefully stop soon, but if you reach switchbacks pre-7am then expect this water to be frozen, so need to be a little alert going up. Coming down by 11am everything melts.
4. Hiking poles are a blessing and their use can keep your feet dry through the whole trip.
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/29/18 03:22 PM
Thank you for your post. I am so relived that the snow has melted. I am hiking Whitney for the first time (day hike) and never used an ice axe etc so was worried. You have put my mind to rest. Will take hiking poles. Never used those either but will be hiking the next two weeks with hiking poles to get used to it. Going on July 12th to hike Whitney.
Have a great weekend.
Posted By: Kimmy Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/29/18 04:35 PM
Hi Evelyn,
I'm relieved the snow has gone too! I'm doing a day hike on July 15th. Best of luck to you! smile
Posted By: Hannah Rose Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/29/18 07:10 PM
This is amazing news, thank you so much for sharing! I'm headed up to camp at Outpost Tuesday, summit on Wednesday the Fourth of July!
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/29/18 07:17 PM
Awesome!! Wish you all the best.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/29/18 10:25 PM
Picture from June 28:

Posted By: RichardK Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 06/30/18 01:07 PM
It has been 9 years since our last Whitney summit (number 5). I don't remember the cables being bent out as seen in the picture. When did that happen?
Posted By: PatientFool Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/01/18 04:47 AM
how are the temperatures going up lately? debating on what to wear exactly..
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/01/18 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: PatientFool
how are the temperatures going up lately? debating on what to wear exactly..

On the Whitney Weather page (link above on the left), there is a
"Cottonwood Lakes, elev. 10150' 7-day Temperatures" link. It shows highs and lows there about 37 to 67 F. With temps dropping roughly 7F per 2k elevation, that puts Trail Camp at 30 and 60, and the summit at 23 and 53. These, of course, are rough estimates, no prediction of what you will find.

I would look at the NOAA forecast pages for another good prediction (links also on the Whitney Weather Page. ) NOAA forecast puts summit highs at 55-59, lows 30-38.
Posted By: plumber Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/03/18 05:30 PM
Hey hikers my girlfriend and I left at 1:30 am in shorts and long sleeve hiking shirts on June 30th, needed gloves just past outpost, other than that it was sweet we left an american flag up there for all to share! Back to portal at 1:00 pm .
Posted By: SoCal Jim Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/03/18 11:10 PM
smile
Posted By: Warmhands Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/04/18 02:35 AM
I love the American flag everywhere and anywhere and was happy to pose with it! Thanks for your service, SoCal Jim! 🇺🇸❤️🇺🇸
Posted By: Kendell Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/06/18 03:48 PM
We hiked Whitney on July 2nd and the cables were completely clear. The hike up was 8 hours 20 minutes and down about 6. I went through 4 liters of water as it was really warm. I would recommend starting no later than 2 am for a day hike. We hiked the last 2 1/2 miles in the rain (welcomed rain because we were nearly finished). The thunder I am sure lightning as well was terrifying to anyone above the tree line.
Posted By: Dan R Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/09/18 05:14 AM
Not sure everyone's aware but the #GeorgesFire has closed Whitney Portal Rd and I believe led to the evacuation of all hikers in the area

https://twitter.com/InyoInfo

Obviously putting out this fire and avoiding loss of life/land/etc is most important but how the fire moves and how fast it is contained will inform the likelihood of somewhat normal operations in the Whitney Portal this week and next.

Fire update link:  USFS official fire info

Wed, July 11: This just showed up, Wed, July 11, 12 noon:
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5907/43913/
Quote:
Georges Fire Wildfire
Whitney Portal Road, Whitney Portal and Trailhead to Re-open

Shepherd Pass Trail also Re-opening

The Inyo National Forest is planning to re-open the Whitney Portal Road and access to the Mt. Whitney Trailhead at 6:00 pm today. The Shepherd Pass Trail is also re-opening.

The evacuation is also being lifted for the Whitney Portal area, including campgrounds, residents, and the Whitney Portal Store.

The opening is tentative and could change if unexpected fire behavior were to occur...

Posted By: MHS Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/09/18 12:29 PM
We have a permit for July 19-20 for Mt Whitney via the Whitney portal. Travelling from Tampa and would appreciate any updates on trail conditions and the wildfires. Thanks
Posted By: Evelyn Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/09/18 03:27 PM
We have a permit for July 12th. Thank you for posting. I had no idea. Called the Whitney permit office and they confirmed they are closed today and to call tomorrow. It seems the fire is 2,000 acres and 0% contained. This is the second time I tried to go and both times it didn't happen. The first time, I tore a tendon and had a surgery and now a fire. Both valid reasons, so trusting in God and glad we found out now versus driving up there.
Posted By: Wiff Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/10/18 07:45 PM
My guess is that the fire will not be an issue by then. For what that is worth.
We are currently in Lone Pine and have spoken to forest service firefighters who told us the Whitney Portal road definitely will not open today. They said they are focusing their efforts on the area around the Whitney Portal in order to protect that area. From what is visible to us from the 395, the fire doesn't look that bad, and the active areas are North of Whitney Portal Road. Of course we can't see into the canyons, and there is a lot of activity, helicopters and firetrucks going into the onion valley road area between Lone Pine and Independence. We checked into the inter-agency visitor center and all Whitney permit holders for today have been automatically refunded. They are honoring permit holders within the next 7 days if the road reopens but at this point it doesn't look like it will today or tomorrow. They are very helpful and will look for alternate permits for you that are available so your trip isn't a total wash. There is no additional charge for another permit for a different trail if that's what you want to do. Alternatively, if you have a few days to spare, you can begin the trail in horseshoe meadows and hike about 15 miles to the junction, from there it is 8 miles to the summit of Whitney. You still need a permit for this however, and I believe it is a PCT permit which we were told you can get on line. Unfortunately we don't have time for a 4-5 day trip which is about how long that would take to do round-trip. Good luck to everyone who has plans in the next few days!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/10/18 10:44 PM
Here's a blog from a gal who hiked out as the fire began. She talks about hiking down the 99 switchbacks in the thunderstorm. She passed about 20 pairs of abandoned hiking poles.

Golden State of Minds

Her blog covers...
AMS -- barfing several times on the way to the summit

Being abandoned by her hiking "friends" -- they were waiting for her in their car at the trail head. (With their behavior, it's surprising they actually waited.)

Meeting two bears at outpost camp

Activating her InReach SOS due to the fire, and getting reports that it was ok to exit.
Posted By: Kendall22 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/10/18 11:54 PM
I too summited Whitney on July 8th and got stuck in the storm while on the switchbacks. Our group summited at different times, my boyfriend and I being the first two at 10:15am. We knew the weather was going to turn so we left at 12 when we ran into the rest of our group 5 min from the summit. We returned with them. My sister was the last to summit at the same time as the the girl who wrote the aforementioned blog and her two friends. We heard thunder and I apologized to my sister for not letting her enjoy the summit and we all started down, a storm at 14,000 ft is not to be messed with. The two girls who were with the blog girl knew it was dangerous and told her multiple times to please leave with them; she rudely refused. As we all hiked down they waited for her MULTIPLE times for long periods of time. With all due respect she should have never continued after getting AMS and a picture on a summit is not worth risking your own life or that of your friends.

All of us made multiple mistakes: not setting a turn around time for my sister, waiting on the summit past my own turn around time, and not bivouacing during the storm. We wanted to get down, and down fast. Lessons were learned and it is important to take responsibility for our own actions.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/11/18 03:31 PM
Thanks Kendall22. It's illuminating to read the other side of that story.
Posted By: RichardK Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/11/18 04:40 PM
Quote:
I noticed the switchbacks were littered with at least 20 pairs of expensive brand-named trekking poles.

On our first ascent of Whitney, we were coming down the switchbacks amid heavy cloud cover, graupel, and an occasional thunderclap. I heard a buzzing sound and noticed that the hair on my arm was standing on end. I thought about ditching my Leki Makalu's ($125), but decided that conditions weren't that bad yet.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/11/18 07:09 PM
Information on permits where you couldn't enter due to the Georges Fire: Kurt Wedberg reported this:
Quote:
Whitney Road & Fire Closure Info: ONCE THE ROAD OPENS all of you who have permits that were valid for entry during the dates of the road closure you will be given a 7-day window to use your permits. The clock starts ticking once the road opens.

Also, https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5907/43913/ reports:
Quote:
Whitney Portal Road, Whitney Portal and Trailhead to Re-open

The Inyo National Forest is planning to re-open the Whitney Portal Road and access to the Mt. Whitney Trailhead at 6:00 pm today.
Posted By: MHS Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/16/18 08:40 PM
What's the best website for checking weather for Mt Whitney trail and summit? Thanks
Posted By: VigilAuntie Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/16/18 08:53 PM
https://www.mountain-forecast.com
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/16/18 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: MHS
What's the best website for checking weather for Mt Whitney trail and summit? Thanks

You should check multiple sites. The best ones are easily accessible from the Mt Whitney Weather page, in the Feature Topics box, above on the left. I prefer the NOAA site over Mountain-Forecast.
My husband and I reached the summit at 8:30am on Saturday July 14th. We left Whitney portal on Thursday at 6:00am and hiked to Trail camp arriving at 11am. It didn't rain on us at all until later that afternoon but by that time we'd already set up camp and finished all our camp chores. The temperature was very mild around 56 degrees. Along the trail on our way to trail camp the creek crossing were all very easy. There is one spot right before Outpost where people were bottle necked all trying to figure out how to cross because the rocks were submerged about 2" under water. We just walked right though it and it was fine. If you have water proof boots it's not an issue. On Friday (summit day) we departed from camp at 4:30 am. By the time we reached the summit at 8:30am clouds were already starting to form and quickly rolling in. Within 30 minutes the summit view was completely obscured looking East. We're glad we got there before it was completely covered in clouds. In hind sight I would have started around 3:30 rather than 4:30. I would say if weather is a concern get up there as early as possible. It was crystal clear when we began and beginning to drizzle on our way down from the 99 switchbacks back into trail camp. One other 'trail condition' that I did notice, not weather related however was the amount of trash in trail camp. It was really shocking to me to see how many items were just strewn about and discarded. From old tent stakes, to plastic eating utensils, to food packaging and many, many, many, wag bags (several near the water). I couldn't believe people could be so careless about such a beautiful place. After we summited I used an empty grocery bag to gather up as much as I could minus the wag bags and carried it down. I'd hope others who see trash would try to do the same. Enjoy the hike and LNT.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/17/18 04:42 AM
OChikers: Thanks SO much for picking up all the trash.

Too many people don't care, because they're never going back to Whitney.
Posted By: MHS Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/17/18 08:06 AM
Thanks
I'm in love! I can see why people hike many times, including 'crazy jack' from the Whitney Portal Store who we met on the trail and again while having our cheeseburgers smile apparently he has hiked over 170 times!. We also met a ranger along the way with a huge black trash bag, I mentioned the wag bags and she said they'd just removed over 30 of them the week before. There is a way hikers can volunteer to pick up trash on the trail with rangers (and get a free permit!) I'll check it out and post the link here if anyone is interested.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/17/18 03:29 PM
OC: Please do post the info!
Posted By: dbd Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/17/18 04:59 PM
Friends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer.
Check their site for a full calendar of events.
https://friendsoftheinyo.org/

Immediate examples:

Trail Work Thursday — Whitney Portal
July 19 from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm

Join us for the summer’s southernmost Trail Work Thursday in the shadow of Mount Whitney on July 19. Meet at 9AM at the Whitney Portal Store to tackle crucial trail work on some of the Eastern Sierra’s most iconic trails.
The Whitney Portal Store is generously donating French fries to reward all volunteers!

All ages welcome. Bring water and sunscreen and wear long pants and closed-toed shoes. We will provide work gloves and tools.

Inyo National Forest Wilderness Project
July 25 - July 29

Five lucky volunteers will get to spend five glorious days in the Inyo National Forest's wilderness, stewarding trails and swimming in creeks! Stay tuned for details... Space is limited—RSVP now to hold your spot!

Dale B. Dalrymple
Posted By: futbol Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/22/18 01:13 AM
Originally Posted By: dbd
Friends of the Inyo is among the organizations with opportunities to volunteer.
Check their site for a full calendar of events.
https://friendsoftheinyo.org/

Immediate examples:

Trail Work Thursday — Whitney Portal
July 19 from 9:00 am - 12:30 pm

Join us for the summer’s southernmost Trail Work Thursday in the shadow of Mount Whitney on July 19. Meet at 9AM at the Whitney Portal Store to tackle crucial trail work on some of the Eastern Sierra’s most iconic trails.
The Whitney Portal Store is generously donating French fries to reward all volunteers!

All ages welcome. Bring water and sunscreen and wear long pants and closed-toed shoes. We will provide work gloves and tools.

July 25 - July 29

Five lucky volunteers will get to spend five glorious days in the Inyo National Forest's wilderness, stewarding trails and swimming in creeks! Stay tuned for details... Space is limited—RSVP now to hold your spot!

Dale B. Dalrymple

I met these people while heading up the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek trail. They were making that trail entrance more open and obvious, and did a good job of it (I noticed on the way down). That part of the Mountaineers' Route and a supposedly un-maintained trail.

One of the two rangers with them checked my permit.
Posted By: MHS Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/22/18 03:03 PM
From Tampa with a group of 4. Stayed in Lone Pine day 1. Hit the trailhead the next day and pitched tents at Trail Camp. All of us pre-medicated with Diamox. Awoke at 2am and hit the switch backs at 3am. I think the switchbacks are easier in the dark(keeps you from looking up and seeing how much farther you need to go). Reached the summit July 19th 3 hrs after leaving trail Camp. I usually never have a problem with altitude or with accents, my biggest challenge is the descent, very tough on my 58 year abused old knees. It took me longer to descend to trail camp the the accent. The hardest part for me was the descent from Trail Camp to Lone Pine Lake. Stayed 1 night at Lone Pine Lake and had an easy decent to the trailhead in 1.5 hours. My younger companions found the decent easy. One of the party struggled on the accent and was hours behind us, but did summit. One of most beautiful places I've visited. I appreciate all the posts that help our crew having a successful summit.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/22/18 07:05 PM
MHS: Congratulations!!! Thanks for the report. I can relate regarding the old knees. I used to run down parts of the trail! ...not anymore. frown
And good for you on the Diamox use. Your ascent directly to Trail Camp without first spending a night at altitude is ambitious. I have to assume the Diamox had a positive benefit.

Regarding "hours behind us"...
    For everyone:  It is NOT a safe practice to leave a slower hiker behind.  In 99% of the cases, they make it just fine, but it is often the "left-behind" hiker that ends up in a Search and Rescue situation, especially when they are trying to descend in darkness.  Please take care of everyone in your party.
Posted By: Kascadia Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 07/31/18 11:14 PM
Hello - Can anyone tell me if there are any visibility/smoke issues in the Whitney area at this time? We will be coming down from Seattle to do a one day hike (hoping to obtain an unused permit) and would hope to not be there under suboptimal conditions for visibility. One member also has asthma (although I think they have abnormally large lungs also, lol), so if it's really bad, would probably be best to wait. Thanks for any information!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/01/18 03:25 AM
There are over a dozen fires burning in Calif now. Conditions are definitely suboptimal. The fire burning just west of Yosemite is sending smoke all over the Sierra.

Watch the webcam. There are times during the day when the webcam view is almost all smoke. And other times it is nearly clear.

Two images from a day ago. These change daily -- they're from the page I use to find good overnight pics:
-- http://www.whitneyzone.com/webcam/whit/sm/wc2.htm
MICROSPIKES?? Are they needed for next week on the MWT?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/01/18 07:20 PM
No microspikes necessary at all.
Posted By: Kascadia Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/02/18 05:33 AM
Thanks. We'll wait a few weeks and see what happens. Everyone is watching California, stay safe.
Posted By: Proxy Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/13/18 04:05 PM
Nothing particularly remarkable... but my group spent 4 days on the main trail late last week (8/7 - 8/10) with a successful summit and descent originating at Whitney Portal.

The water crossings were easily navigable, no frozen precip anywhere near the trail. Abandoned wag bags were most noticeable near trail camp, where we saw a FS employee gathering them. The employee also requested to see the paper copy of our permit.

Smoke/haze was present, but low. Mosquitoes only between Whitney Portal and Lone Pine Lake. Lots of sun.
Posted By: BGDCPA Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/14/18 09:15 PM
Can anyone tell me how the water is at Trail camp? Is there plenty of water to pump?
Originally Posted By: BGDCPA
Can anyone tell me how the water is at Trail camp? Is there plenty of water to pump?

There will always be water from the Tarn to use at Trail Camp.

Or were you talking about the spring on the switchbacks?
Posted By: BGDCPA Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/14/18 11:14 PM
Yes the tarn I wasn’t sure if it ever dried up... I know this time last year it was full but that was a heavy snow season
Posted By: Wiff Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 08/14/18 11:26 PM
Don't think that water ever dries up. Three weeks ago there was plenty for you and all your elephants. Definitely filter.
Summited Whitney for the first time on Tuesday, August 21, 2018, with a day hike permit. This was an accomplishment for me since I am about half a century years young and have hiked a lot during my life but not much mountaineering. It was a great experience, (despite the fact I had a cold) hiking with a couple of awesome mountaineering friends who were a perfect encouragement to me along the trail. We camped at Whitney Portal for a couple of nights before the hike and one night after (saw a big bear in camp 2 of the 3 nights, but no interaction with it). Camping at the portal and hiking Mt. Charleston a few times during the last few months helped to climatize, so no real high elevation problems were encountered during the hike. Started at 3:45 am, summited about noon and was back at the portal for a celebration burger at about 6:30 pm. We lucked out with perfect weather on the hike, even though there are a few creek crossings on the trail, my feet were dry the entire hike. I was impressed with the great condition of the trail and that the trail was not very steep at any one place, with the many switchbacks helping to keep the trail steepness to a minimum. So happy I accomplished this goal...and the views, so beautiful...I just might try it again next year! Thanks for the comments on this website, it helps to know a bit what to expect on the trail.
Though I doubt it is, I have to ask; is the spring at switchback 23 still flowing?
Posted By: bruce Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/12/18 12:08 AM
There was a small flow yesterday around 7:20 am on two of the switchbacks.
Posted By: DUG Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/12/18 03:19 AM
There was a FANTASTIC flow there at about 3:30 pm that I truly enjoyed since I had been out of water since the JMT junction. I would rate that water as among the best I have ever had. smile.................................DUG
Posted By: bruce Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/12/18 02:39 PM
I believe it was still flowing due to several days in a row of above normal temps, but that's supposed to change very soon.
Posted By: stone Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/14/18 01:18 PM
I'm headed to the trail in a few days. I'm wondering if you could share the conditions between high camp and trail crest? Was there any snow or ice at that time? I'm obviously trying to determine what the right footwear (boots, microspikes, crampons) is barring any significant change in weather.

Thanks in advance-
Posted By: bruce Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/14/18 01:35 PM
No snow but there may be a few patches of ice now that the weather is cooler. I hiked last Monday and I remember only one tiny patch of ice (can't recall if it was on the switchbacks though). But you may want to check to see if there is any snow or precipitation in the forecast.
Just got off the phone with Eastern Sierra Interagency and they said Temps from upper 30s to upper 40s and winds of 15-20. No precipitation and they didn't mention ice or snow. I don't expect snow or ice but I am getting ready for cold wind on the west side. I'm going up Sunday 16th and I'm going to leave a bit later so I don't freeze in the early morning on Trail Crest.
Hope this helps!

-Dan
No water on the Switchbacks. On Sunday, Sep 16th, in the morning, I could not find any water around the 23rd Switchback. Nor is the spring under the rocks near the trail at Trail Camp running. (Some have reported that these sources are there, but they are frozen until late afternoon.) Earlier in the year those are both reliable sources, but not now. If you're going to refill, the highest place you can count on right now is the lake (tarn) near Trail Camp.
Thanks Scott!
Posted By: NaniTree Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/25/18 06:30 AM
Haven't been to Whitney in the fall and wondering if it's worth the visit. Does the terrain change much- any fall colors?

Other question: does it ever get "too windy" to summit? Looking at the forecast right now for the weekend and here's what it's saying:

Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 54. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. Windy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 50. Windy, with a south southwest wind 15 to 25 mph increasing to 30 to 40 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph.(!!!)
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 29. Windy, with a west southwest wind 25 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 47. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 15 to 20 mph becoming south in the afternoon.

Weather source:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.6&lon=-118.28#.W6nUIi2ZPOQ
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/28/18 07:34 PM
Looks like the great September weather is about to end.

NOAA weather predicts a storm hitting Mt Whitney on Monday, Oct 1. The beginning of October is the usual time for the first storm to hit. Often, though, there will be more fair weather, and the snow from the first storm may dissipate so that there are a few more weeks of good hiking.

Watch the weather carefully from now on!!

From the Mt Whitney Weather page:     NOAA: Whitney summit weather
Posted By: balsss Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 09/30/18 07:03 PM
just back home after 3 day backpacking... we summitted on 9/28 thanks to ripper/cbc..

1. weather was perfect and as predicted;
2. friday night was really windy at trailcamp, had tough time with tents and sleeping.. somehow the noise and the elevation gave me zero sleep on that day..
3. there is no water on switchbacks so the trailcamp is the last option
4. no snow/ice on the trail except few patches you see at a distance, a tiny lil patch on the whitney cables but not blocking your way

other than that, the rangers and other hikers are extremely friendly.. there was a dayhiker who was lost for 2 days and started seeing whales in the consultation lake just before getting rescued.. o my my..

overall what a trip it was.. will surely do whitney again. thanks a ton to this forum for keeping us informed all this while.
We have a two night overnight trip planned for this Thursday (10/4) thru Saturday (10/6). A bit concerned about the weather forecast which is now calling for 11 inches of snow up top on Wednesday afternoon and evening.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Whitney/forecasts/4418

With a lesser amount of snow expected down to trail camp, will the switchbacks be navigable? How treacherous will the trip be from trail crest to the summit? Will crampons be advisable?

Thanks in advance for your sage counsel!!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/02/18 04:35 AM
You need to look at the NOAA forecast. I kind of trust NOAA over all the others. Mountain-forecast has always over-estimated the snowfall. ...Of course they could be right once in a while.

The snowfall will be light. Even if there's almost a foot, you can tramp through it and pack it down. That will slow people way down, though. Microspikes might come in handy. But the trail will still be navigable, if the cold doesn't convince you to turn back.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/05/18 03:36 PM
This picture posted on FB by Jack T

His report:
Quote:
As requested, the trail conditions on Mount Whitney Trail on Oct 4th after the first storm of the 2018-19 wet season.

First snow and thin ice encountered on the trail at 11000ft. The ice dissipated by trail camp and snow accumulation increased to about 3-4 inches by the cables on 97 switchbacks. Snow depth remained consistent until Trail Crest where the depth increased to 5-6 inches in some spots where it was not packed down. Snow depth at the summit was 6-7 inches with small drifts of about 10-12 inches.

During my descent I noted as large difference in the snow as the sun had worked its way around the ridge. Snow was melting and packing fast and there was quite a bit of slush on the ridge line. The snow on the switchbacks became very "grippy" and I was able to move at full speed with microspikes and poles. The trail was free of snow from Trail Camp back to the Portal except a few tiny patches here and there above 11000ft

That's all fine a dandy but just remember one thing. All the snow melt and slush will freeze tonight and on the 5th there will be a lot more ice from the cables on up to the summit.

Hope this helps. 😉

Posted By: Su Ven Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/07/18 10:41 PM
Summitted on 10/4. Significant snow accumulation after the storm but 4th was clear and sunny. many portions of the trail snow melted away, mainly in the switchbacks. MIcrospikes recommended for safety
Posted By: Freek Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/09/18 04:59 AM
What is the water situation like at this time up at Trail Camp? Hoping everything is not frozen over. Heading up this weekend. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/09/18 03:23 PM
If the pond has ice on top, it will be easy to break the ice to get water. However, if you are carrying a water bladder for your drink, the tube can freeze, so bottles carried inside your pack might be better.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/09/18 04:17 PM
Posted on FB by Heidi V

"October 7, 2018 Welcome to the winter hiking. We had snow and some slippery ice from the switch back to the top."

Posted By: hikersteve Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/09/18 09:03 PM
Any idea when this last picture was taken? I know it says posted on Oct 7th. Wondering if the picture was taken on the same day...seems contrary to a previous poster who said that most trail snow had melted away.

Hiking on Thursday 10/11. Was hoping for better trail conditions.

Thanks for the info
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/10/18 12:07 AM
Overnight on 10/6, a small storm went through, and dumped more snow. Note the Williamson webcam tonight -- it shows the coverage there on the morning of 10/7, showing new/fresh snow.

It is likely that by 10/11 lots of tracks will have packed down the snow, but you should take crampons or at least microspikes to make the travel easier.
Posted By: hikersteve Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/10/18 03:44 AM
OK. Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Aaron S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/11/18 06:59 PM
How were conditions on 10/11? Heading up 10/17. Would love an update and perhaps a picture. Thanks!
Posted By: hikersteve Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/12/18 01:22 AM
Hike was awesome. Trail conditions were fine. No trail snow until the middle of switchbacks. We didn't need to wear the micro spikes going up. But we did wear then coming down. Back side of trail had more accumulation, but was still accessible. Sumitted at 0930. Weather was perfect. Clouds started rolling in at 1030 but never got above trail crest. I wouldn't even call the amount of snow fall a dusting. Just specks of it. Would attach a couple pics, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Here's one: West side view.
Posted By: Aaron S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/12/18 03:04 PM
Congratulations on the day and thanks for the report. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/14/18 10:36 PM
MoLea posted a good trip report here.

A picture of hers of the switchbacks from Facebook:

Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/16/18 04:40 AM
Picture of the JMT / Main Mt Whitney Trail junction, just west and below Trail Crest. Picture posted on FB by Inyo SAR member Ed Carlson, provided to him by Alec D.

Depending on temperatures, that snow can turn slick and icy. Traction devices will definitely help. May be mandatory.

Posted By: Aaron S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/18/18 08:27 PM
Summit 10/17

I am not sure where to put this post but the general discussion and postings by people were so helpful to my and my hiking buddy that I wanted to pay it forward with our experience. So, here was ours...

Got to Whitney Portal campground after picking up our permit on 10/16. Heard a lot about camping with bears and the aggressive nature of the bears at the campground. Sadly, didn’t see a one. Loved the campground. Good sites and easy car camping. I would highly recommend staying at the campground versus down in Lone Pine. You are probably at 8K feet versus 4K feet so it helped us acclimatize. Plenty of water. Firewood available. Bathrooms are clean. Note that I said firewood - it’s is starting to get pretty cold. We went to bed with temps in high 30’s. Whitney Portal store is running at odd hours given off season. We never got in there but we’re prepeared with food. From everything we read, that store is pretty stocked and the burger after the hike is rumored to be legendary...if only it had been open.

To the hike - two dudes in their late 40’s. If you read the post from the Reno couple, we strived to be as awesome as them. We did a fair amount of training. I was running a lot at sea level (I live in Houston) and my partner was doing lots of hikes around LA. We did one training hike up to Mt Baldy, which was a good way to get a few miles in above 10K feet. We paid a lot of attention to this message board and the webcam shots and the weather forecasts. We found them to be great resources.

By all accounts 10/17 was going to be a epic day. Forecast at the Portal was low in the 30’s. Forecast at the peak was highs in the 30’s. No wind. It did not disappoint.

We got a tad cocky about getting up early. Most people talk about being on the trail at 3am. We thought that was a bit early. It ended up being a mistake going back to the randomness of the portal store’s opening. Trust it. Leave at 3am.

We got up at 3am and left at 4:30. 20 pound packs. Gear for cold, microspikes, poles, 4.5L of water. Headlamps all the way to Trail Camp. We tried to keep a reasonable pace - 2.5mph, which felt kind of slow. The hike to Trail camp is pretty easy relative to the rest. Maybe 6’ish miles. Not too steep. Easy to stay on trail. We could’ve pushed harder but were worried about what was ahead. Stopped at trail camp as sun was coming up. Great views. Frigid. Super cold. No clue what the temp was but I took off my wool gloves and hat for the time it took me to open my pack and they froze solid (wet with sweat). Someone suggested handwarmer in a post. We had them and used them here. It was a great call. I honestly thought one of us might get hypothermia. Can’t believe people camp there.

Thankfully, movement and Mother Nature kicked in. Sun came up as we hit the switchbacks. Loved the warmth of the sun. Hit the switchbacks to the cables without microspikes. Put them on there and they stayed on for a while. Surprised how many people did not have any traction and went all the way up. Maybe we were conservative but the cost of a mis-step seemed pretty severe and they were suggested so we went with them. Switchbacks were more of an endurance walk than anything hard. Lots of people. We chatted folks up. Enjoyed the sun and camaraderie. Even saw some guy take his pack off and it went tumbling down. Saw writing in the snow later that he had found it.

Got to the gap after switchbacks before John Muir Trail intersection. Don’t know what it’s called but it was sunny and a good place to stop and grab a rest and food after switchbacks. Took off microspikes here but shouldn’t have. Put them on pretty quickly later. Sunny. Bluebird day. NO WIND. We had amazing conditions.

Pushed on to summit - the famous 1.9 miles that takes 2 hours. Believe it! I am not a great fan of heights so this part was a tad outside my comfort zone. The windows are awesomely terrifying. The trail was both technical - big boulders and ankle twister holes- and icy. We were in and out of the microspikes. It was a pain but we wanted to stay safe.

Hit summmit at noon. My buddy did not feel great so we only stayed about 20 minutes. For my part, the relative pace of the switchbacks and the last two miles made the elevation totally bearable. I honestly didn’t think two old dudes who drink too much could make it. But we did. I cried. (My only emotional part of this matter of fact story. Had to share it with someone. Sure not gonna tell my wife!)

The way down, we just focused on being smart and not going too fast. The two miles to JMT is just as tough down. Just boulders and height and ice. Maybe we are wimpy. Switchbacks down with microspikes were very nice. Just never ending. Trail camp to Lone Pine was beautiful. We had passed through there in the dark so we got to appreciate that. Then on down to the Portal. We focused on drinking lots of water and eating food - even though neither were appealing. We both felt pretty good when we got done at 6pm.

All told 13.5 hours and almost 23 miles.

Commentary - passed, interacted, saw a lot of people along the way. Tried to be good trail dudes so always said hello, how are you doing, etc. That totally made the experience better. Saw most of them along the way multiple times. Sometimes in trouble - all elevation derived - so we’re able to give people food or water or tums (old dudes that we are). Many of them struggled immensely with the altitude. Didn’t make it. Ended up in hospital. Be careful. Some folks handle the altitude differently. Don’t make bad decisions. Drink water. Eat. We also saw a lot of them down in Lone Pine the night we finished and enjoyed a beer. Fun to hang with kindred spirits.

What else can I tell you - we carried our water 4.5L - but brought tablets. We did fine on what we brought. Probably took too much food but, as mentioned above, were able to give to folks who needed it. We both went with solid ibuprofen plans. Starting the day before through the night we finished. Amazingly, neither one of us were sore after. I had one heel wrecked from blisters but what can you expect.

I hope this is helpful. So many other posters have been to so helpful in our preparation.

It’s a great hike.
Posted By: CMilller14 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/18/18 09:59 PM
Howdy y'all, reading all the trip reports over the last couple weeks I have a pretty good idea what the main trail looks like. But anyone know what the mountaineer's route looks like right now?

Best I've been able to gather is the chute is clear and the north side of the summit is snow covered. Sounds like similar conditions to my climb a couple years back but don't want to underestimate the late season conditions.

(I have a day permit with a couple other experienced guys for this Saturday.)

-Chris
Posted By: laohe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/19/18 10:27 PM
I am searching for any MR current conditions too. Planning to be there first week of November when no permit (with quota) is required. Would appreciate any latest trip reports of MR.
Thanks,
- laohe
Posted By: Benski Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/20/18 01:46 AM
What is the condition of the water sources? Are they frozen? What is the last available water?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/20/18 03:14 AM
As for the Mountaineers Route, I would expect you will find snow in places about like the picture posted above on 10/09/18. Nothing much has fallen since that storm went through. I am sure there is some snow in the chute. You definitely will need crampons for any ice-covered places.

Benski: The pond at Trail Camp may ice-over, but you should be able to break the ice and get water. High temps at Cottonwood Lakes are in the low 40s, and that's 2k elevation lower.
Posted By: Aaron S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/20/18 07:03 PM
Confirm Steve C’s comment on water. Froze at night and in the mornings. Thawed out when sun gets on it. Easy to break through and get water. Lots of hikers on 10/17 minimized their weight and filtered as they went. Not sure what sources, if any, are available after trail camp. Plenty below trail camp still flowing.
Posted By: CMilller14 Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/22/18 06:23 PM
Climbed Mountaineer's Route on Saturday 10/20. Departed from Portal at 3:30a, Summit at 11a. Trail was clear of snow up to the chute. Some snow in the chute but ultimately no additional gear was required, just some extra care in the snow/scree mix. We had crampons but never pulled them out.

Microspikes were beneficial on the first 80 of the 99 switchbacks on the way down.

Also, flowing water on all water crossings.

-Chris
Posted By: laohe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/23/18 05:48 PM
Thanks, Chris!
I might be there on 11/3-4 backpack.
- laohe
Posted By: SUPAJIANNI Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/24/18 02:59 AM
I’m going to be attempting a solo summit this Friday at 4 am (maybe earlier) and was wondering if anyone would let me join their crew? Or even just follow from behind. I realize it’s asking a lot and also very last minute. I’ll be attempting either way but would rather go up with others. Suppose to have 5 friends join me but they all bailed because it’s gonna be a little chilly and and they didn’t train that hard. If you got room for one more then I’d really appreciate it!

Cheers
Posted By: lugosi Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/24/18 04:53 PM
We're planning to do mountaineering route on 10/27 - how was it from the notch to the top? Did you go the class 3 way or take the way around?
Posted By: C_S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/26/18 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: lugosi
We're planning to do mountaineering route on 10/27 - how was it from the notch to the top? Did you go the class 3 way or take the way around?

Also looking for conditions for the mountaineers route. We'll be there next weekend.
Posted By: Jay Garcia Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/29/18 06:33 AM
The mountaineers route? but then you mention the switchbacks, I think the mountaineers isn't optional at this time.
Posted By: laohe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/29/18 12:52 PM
For day hike, you can do MR up, main trail down. Maybe that was Chris did.
Posted By: C_S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/30/18 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: C_S

Also looking for conditions for the mountaineers route. We'll be there next weekend.

Anyone make it up the mountaineers route last weekend?
Posted By: bruckbau Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/31/18 10:33 PM
I did the Mountaineers Route solo on Sunday 10/28. I went up the MR and down the Main Trail.

Left the Portal at 4:55 am to warmer than expected temps. First sign of any ice on the route was on the big slabs between Lower Boyscout Lake and Upper Boyscout Lake. The ice was mostly avoidable through this section, but I threw on microspikes for a quick second at one spot where I had to cross the water/ice flow line. Other than that, the route was clear and dry until the Chute.

The Chute had a few big patches of snow in the middle. It was mostly avoidable, and when I did need to cross it, it was soft enough to kick steps with just my boots. I carried ice axe and crampons, but ended up not using them, because the snow was soft enough and the snowy sections didn't seem big enough to necessitate a transition. Trying to avoid the snow made routefinding a little more challenging, but not much different than finding an optimal line in any other conditions.

I would still strongly recommend carrying ice axe and crampons on this route, because they may be necessary if the snow hardens at all this week.

Once I hit the notch, the wind from the west hit really hard. I decided to go up the first gully. There were some visible patches of snow and ice, but I thought it looked dry enough to safely avoid those. As I climbed this section, I came across a few more hidden patches of snow/ice, so routefinding became a little bit challenging. There were a couple spots I had to downclimb/reroute, because my chosen line ran into an ice patch or a climbing move I wasn't comfortable with. With some patience it was certainly passable, and I made it to the summit at 11:40 am.

There were about a dozen other people on the summit. I passed by five others on the MR, but they were going slower and I'm not sure if they summited. The summit was windy, but I was comfortable in just a fleece with gore-tex shell, and hat/gloves.

I departed the summit at 12:10 pm. I decided to take the trail down, since the ascent was a little more demanding mentally and technically than I expected, and I didn't want to downclimb the route solo with the snow/ice patches.

Between the summit and trail crest, I passed two dozen or so others on their ascent. The trail was mostly dry in this section. There were a couple icy spots, but they were avoidable by walking on the rocks.

From Trail Crest down through the upper north-facing switchbacks, the trail was covered in hard-packed snow and some ice. Traction devices are definitely necessary in this section. I used YakTrax, and had a couple icy spots where something a little more aggressive would have been more comfortable. The trail became dry where the switchbacks become more east-facing.

After a long and steady descent on the trail, I reached the Portal at 4:25 pm.
Posted By: laohe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/31/18 10:52 PM
Thanks, bruckbau! Great TR!
From notch, did you take a look at the condition of the death traverse or easy walk-off?
- laohe
Posted By: bruckbau Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/31/18 11:12 PM
The "easy walk off" looked to be at least half snow covered. There were definite footprints through it. It's looks like there are intermittent dry spots, and like it would be passable depending on the snow conditions.
Posted By: laohe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 10/31/18 11:17 PM
Thank you!. It's very helpful!
Posted By: laohe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 11/06/18 09:38 AM
We hiked Mt Whitney via MR last weekend (11/3-11/4). Camped at UBSL on Saturday. On Sunday, summited via MR, came down same way, then back home. The route condition is pretty much same as @Chris and @bruckbau descriped. (Thank both!). We carried crampons, ice axe and microspike, used microspike twice very briefly on slabs between LBCL and UBSL, nothing been used in Gulley and final 400. Now waiting for snow season.
-laohe
Posted By: C_S Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 11/07/18 05:45 PM
Main gully looks like this as of Sunday Nov 4

Final 400 was easily descended picking our way down the most solid rock away from the little snow and ice there is.

Posted By: Philippe Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 11/12/18 06:17 PM
Main trail as of Sunday Nov 11 afternoon

- Trail is clear of snow/ice until the switchbacks
- Switchbacks have some sections covered with hard snow. Microspikes were perfect to zip through this section.
- Trail crest was almost snow/ice free. We did not use microspikes there.

We had an ice axe and a helmet - but did not use them.
Have fun out there!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 11/15/18 09:46 PM
Shared on FB by Karen L. From Sunday, Nov 11.

Posted By: RootsRuby Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 11/16/18 11:37 PM
Somebody know the lake is frozen ?
Posted By: jevdet Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 12/09/18 05:46 AM
Greetings. The expat is returning for a late-Dec Sierra climbing trip. Any current BETA circulating re Big Willy, and Whitney MR (and/or the main trail)? Best, jr
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 12/10/18 05:36 AM
JR, this might help:   MR in Winter
Can anybody advise about the current trail condition of Whitney main route?
I am going to go at this Saturday, 12/22.

1. Whitney portal road actually blocked with fence? USDA indicates the status of closed.

2. Snow at outpost camp and upper trail camp: Should I bring snowshoes? or just crampon?

Any advice will be helpful.
Thanks.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 12/19/18 11:33 PM
There isn't much info out there. From what I can find on remote snow depth sensors appears to be only a few inches of snow, so I doubt snow shoes would be of much use. Of course, what you may find could be different.

The road certainly has a road closed sign. In the past if that is all there is, people can drive past it, but at their own risk, of course. Not sure if there is a hard-closed gate on the road. It would be great if you could post what you find, both with the gate and the trail conditions.

Be careful, good luck, and have fun!
...and pictures are worth thousands of words. wink
Posted By: ronan Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 12/21/18 07:07 AM
Was going to take a stab at mountaineers route sometime after xmas before new year if the weather is nice. Let us know how it looks up there after your attempt, mainly on north fork of lone pine trail/mountaineer route if you observe it smile

Safe travels!
Posted By: jevdet Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 12/22/18 05:36 PM
Thanks, Steve.
Posted By: Saurabh Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail - 01/03/19 01:32 AM
I attempted Whitney using mountaineering route on dec 21st .. we took permit from rangers office (yes its open and they issue permits even there is no quota limit in winter) and started to whitney portal road around 10:30 am. road closed sign was there for 4 miles before the trail head and if you decide to pass through that then u will find road closed about a mile after. we parked our car near the sign and hiked 4 mile to trail head. it took additional hour and half .. trail condition was good for about 0.5 mile we started MR. After that trail can only be find through foot step from the people who passed earlier. it was good amount of snow and many times we were under snow till knee and find riskier .. E ledge had some ice and snow on top of it which we crossed carefully using crampons. most of the time we hiked without crampons .. but for certain area we had to use crampons as it was climb and no trail .. we took 5-6 hrs to reach lower boy scout lake and camped there..it was certain if we need to go to summit than we will need to stay another night .. we decided to retreat and came back next day .. mistakes i did was i forgot my gators ..even i wore ski pant snow was inside my boots and made my boots wet. that time we were the only party ..
© WhitneyZone Message Board