Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: BFR Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/23/18 09:14 PM
Can anyone comment on conditions around the Whitney zone? Interested in conditions at: shepherd's pass, kearsarge pass, tuttle creek / mount langley PLUS any surrounding peaks.
Posted By: Bob West Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/24/18 12:20 AM
There is still snow on all the high passes, including the approaches. Conditions will improve in another month or so.

Streams have started to run very high with the rapid warming we are experiencing. Normal for this time of year.
Posted By: jorvack Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/24/18 04:13 PM
I am heading up Shepherd's Pass this weekend. I am expecting Spring conditions (winter-like). I will update when I return next week.
Posted By: pcieluch Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/24/18 08:38 PM
Are the PCT though hikers skipping from Kennedy Meadows to pass the higher elevations? Or are they getting though OK this year?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/25/18 05:05 AM
The Mt Williamson Motel/Base Camp has posted several pictures of PCT thru-hikers in the past week. I think the hardy ones are plowing through.
Posted By: jorvack Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/29/18 07:13 PM
Here are some photos from my Tyndall climb of Shepherd Pass.
I ascended in micro spikes with trekking poles and descended with crampons and ice axe in the softer snow.

I ascended roughly along the trail route - some edges of the switchbacks are melted out in the rock patch and then tucked behind the gendarme.

On the descent I cramponed down the central line - the zip zag boot track is mine. The top section is the steepest and was a bit dicey in the micro spikes, especially when the cloud descended limiting visibility.

I met a couple folks at Shepherd Pass to ascend Tyndall with and met skier up there who climbed and skied Williamson and Tyndall that day- a very stout trip.

Definitively spring climbing conditions at the high passes and will be a bit before the melt out.

Shepherd Pass photos
Posted By: Scott Barnes Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 05/31/18 10:25 PM
Hey jorvack -- how were the various creek crossings, and if there were there any snow bridges on the way up to Shepherd's Pass, what were their conditions?

(Edit: phrasing)
Posted By: jorvack Re: Conditions outside of whitney zone - 06/02/18 04:55 PM
Creeks were at typical levels, nothing that was especially difficult. No snow bridges patchy snow above 10k with boot tracks. The issue is really getting up to the pass.
© WhitneyZone Message Board