Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C Horseshoe Meadows Road -- Mud Slide!!! - 08/03/18 12:02 AM
I just got word that a mud slide ( confused ) has closed Horseshoe Meadows road. Not sure when it will open.

But road crews usually jump on those right away, as there will be hikers trying to drive down from there.

Edit 4PM Friday: Inyo County Road dept reports the mud has been cleared, and they will open the road for 2-way traffic at 4 PM today, Friday, Aug 3. Hows that for fast work!!! They had 6 machines up there working on the problem.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road -- Mud Slide!!! - 08/03/18 03:27 PM
Mudslide update: I called Inyo County Road dept, and the receptionist said, "It's bad." They have crews up there working, but cannot say when it will open.

Heavy rainstorm caused the problem. There are three separate slide locations. There was an accident on the road, and the slide occurred before ambulance could reach the site.

No word on people trapped above the slides.

I'll call and have another report this afternoon (Friday, 7/3/18).
Posted By: Jack C Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road -- Mud Slide!!! - 08/03/18 04:17 PM
Thank you for the updates! Was planning to stay up there to acclimate before the hike. Hopefully everyone is safe and it opens up again soon.
Posted By: Paul Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road -- Mud Slide!!! - 08/03/18 08:08 PM
This is the second one. About 4 weeks ago, I day hiked to Charlotte for lunch on Saturday. I was going to do Cirque peak on Sunday, but someone told me that the road to Horseshoe Meadows was closed. I quickly stopped by the visitors center and they verified the closed. The mud slide at that time was the burn area as you drop into the area.

paul
Posted By: Steve C Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road -- Mud Slide!!! - 08/03/18 10:56 PM
Inyo County Road dept reports the mud has been cleared, and they will open the road for 2-way traffic at 4 PM today, Friday, Aug 3. Hows that for fast work!!! They had 6 machines up there working on the problem.
Posted By: Daybreak Re: Horseshoe Meadows Road -- Mud Slide!!! - 08/04/18 12:30 AM
Good to hear, thanks for the update
© WhitneyZone Message Board