Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Zamora When does snow usually arrive in the fall? - 08/26/18 04:44 PM
First, I apologize if this has already been asked. I did a search and some quick browsing and didn’t see a discussion on this topic.

I know that in autumn there may be ephemeral snow... it will snow a few inches and then be all melted / sublimated after 2 or 3 days. So what I am trying to find out is when snow falls and is there to stay for the season. Also, I understand that each year is different, so I am hoping to get responses from people who have hike the trail in fall over several different years.

Thanks!
Last year we summited Mt Whitney October 19th and I think ~10 or so days later it snowed enough to make the main trail difficult to pass, and stayed that way until Spring.
Four years ago we were to make our attempt in the first week of Oct. but a BAD blizzard hit the day we were suppose to start our hike. Up to that point the weather had been pretty good.
Generally mid to late Sept. to early Oct.
Posted By: bruce Re: When does snow usually arrive in the fall? - 08/29/18 02:22 AM
Permanent snow I think mid to late October, but that's just from what I remember reading the forums.
© WhitneyZone Message Board