Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: che Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 08/29/18 04:14 PM
Hi all-- we have a group of 12 planning to camp at Outpost and then Trail Camp. (It's my dad's 80th birthday and his 4th Whitney trip!).

I know there are a lot of tent sites at both of those. I'm wondering, if we get a late start and want to stop at Lone Pine Lake instead Outpost, are there enough tent sites there? I just recall it being a small lake and wondering about space.

thanks!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 08/29/18 05:57 PM
I'm not completely sure of this but...

Lone Pine Lake pictures show lots of open space with sandy soil. I don't think your group would have any trouble finding enough space for everyone.
Posted By: che Re: Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 08/30/18 05:35 AM
thanks!
Posted By: hiiker Re: Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 08/30/18 10:16 PM
You will need a "Wilderness Permit" to camp anywhere in the Inyo National Forest which Lone Pine Lake is in. This permit is different from your Whitney Zone permit.

I've never seen anyone camping at the lake. Lots of space to camp there though.

You should be able to obtain the necessary permit where you pick up your Whitney Zone permit.

Have fun!
Posted By: Steve C Re: Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 08/31/18 02:07 AM
Good point, hiiker. Their permit to camp at Outpost or Trail Camp allows them to stop short and camp at Lone Pine Lake.
Posted By: GandC Re: Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 09/02/18 04:11 AM
You'll have plenty of room, there's a lot of good flat ground to stake a tent to there at LPL. We crashed there a couple of years ago when we got a later start than we wanted to and a T-storm opened up on us. We felt like stopping, so we did, and had a nice view come morning. Good luck!
Posted By: che Re: Lone Pine Lake tent sites? - 09/04/18 02:25 PM
UPDATE:

Our group arrived at Lone Pine Lake on Thursday 8/30 at sunset or so. There were already 6-8 tents scattered around. But indeed it's a large sandy, gently sloping area around the lake, and we had no trouble finding 6 tent sites for our group.
© WhitneyZone Message Board