Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: MtMikeR 2020 Whitney Lottery - 02/03/20 12:47 PM
Just want to wish everyone luck! Application is in and now the waiting begins! cool
Posted By: Curt Re: 2020 Whitney Lottery - 02/16/20 08:03 PM
I just submitted my lottery application! My question is: Is someone who plans to hike in my party allowed to submit their own lottery application if they are not listed as an alternate leader on my lottery application?
Posted By: Deke Re: 2020 Whitney Lottery - 02/17/20 02:23 AM
I haven't applied in years. Have there been any changes with the permit process? Am I still able to try my luck and just show up to the agency the day before to request permits if I am unable to get them through the online process? From what I remember, they always had permits available mid week in July/Aug.
Posted By: WanderingJim Re: 2020 Whitney Lottery - 02/17/20 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Deke
I haven't applied in years. Have there been any changes with the permit process? Am I still able to try my luck and just show up to the agency the day before to request permits if I am unable to get them through the online process? From what I remember, they always had permits available mid week in July/Aug.

No, the walk up permits are all online now.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5150055
No Walk up Permits during Quota Season
Permits for Mt Whitney Day Use and Mt Whitney Trail Overnight are by reservation only during the quota season. Web reservations will remain open the day before the trip for reserving space from last minute cancelations. Reserved permits may use will call & night box service, follow permit pickup instructions.

Originally Posted By: Curt
I just submitted my lottery application! My question is: Is someone who plans to hike in my party allowed to submit their own lottery application if they are not listed as an alternate leader on my lottery application?

Third paragraph under Lottery Terms:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5150055
"Groups that submit multiple applications will be rejected."

Plus you're a real jerk if you do it. smile
Posted By: Steve C Re: 2020 Whitney Lottery - 02/17/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Curt

If your friend does that, there is no way to determine you are in the same group. However: If your friend wins and you don't, and when it comes time for the trip, if your friend bails, there is no way that you can pick up the friend's permit and go -- you have to show identification when picking up the permit.
© WhitneyZone Message Board