Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Team Dirty Boots Water filter recommendations - 07/03/20 11:22 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a water filter? And what is your opinion of iodine tablets vs a water filter? Wondering if giardia will be a concern up Mount Whitney.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Water filter recommendations - 07/03/20 11:44 PM
Here's a recent topic:
  Water sources - safe to drink without filtering?
Posted By: StorminMatt Re: Water filter recommendations - 07/05/20 10:51 PM
I use a Katadyn BeFree. I actually used to use a Sawyer Mini. But I always HATED the squeeze bag that comes with it. Also, you have to squeeze hard and the flow rate is low. The Katadyn BeFree has a much more pliable squeeze bag that is easier to fill. And it flows MUCH more easily than the Sawyer Mini. On the other hand, I hear it plugs up lore quickly. But I am willing to replace my filter more frequently if need be.
Posted By: MikeH Re: Water filter recommendations - 07/06/20 03:30 PM
I use the Sawyer Squeeze (not the mini) and a couple CNOC Vecto bags.
Posted By: kkdavis Re: Water filter recommendations - 07/06/20 06:00 PM
I've been using the Sawyer Squeeze for three years, but it only worked really well the first year. It takes a lot of arm strength to squeeze and needs flushed constantly now, even after cleaning the flow is very slow. I have a LifeStraw bottle like the Katadyn I haven't used yet, if it's not great in terms of flow I will probably get this Katadyn talked about, as it seems the most easy/efficient way to get water. There are also screw on filters for Nalgenes/etc (the Katadyn and LifeStraw are compatible, I think). I've used a UV water purifier which is extremely easy, while expensive, however it isn't a filter so sediment, etc, will still be in the water. Iodine tablets are always in my pack as backup but they leave a bad taste and take a while to take effect. Fine if you're overnight, not so great if you're trying to get somewhere. Never used any of the more expensive gravity filtration systems.

I *always* filter my water on every hike but not everyone does, I guess YMMV. don't know about giardia in particular on Whitney.
Posted By: WanderingJim Re: Water filter recommendations - 07/07/20 09:35 PM
I use the Sawyer Squeeze filter, but not the squeeze bags. I put in inline on my Camelbak. So I just suck my water through it. I can also use it to fill my cooking pot (although it takes a little coaxing to get it to squeeze that through).
© WhitneyZone Message Board