Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Katie0316 Aug 3 Day Hike - 07/30/20 06:42 PM
Hi all,

I’m attempting to get to the summit for the 4th time this coming Monday, 8/3. I’m doing this as a day hike, but spending some time in Mammoth prior to Monday. Would love to know if anyone else is going this day as it’s just me.

Also curious, any tips on what snacks you bring on the trail? I’ve turned around due to altitude issues before and in my opinion, not properly fueling on the way up.

Hoping that with hiking 2-3 times a week this summer and staying at higher elevation beforehand helps this time...haha 4th time’s the charm?
Posted By: Team Dirty Boots Re: Aug 3 Day Hike - 07/30/20 08:44 PM
Hi Katie0316 ,

I truly admire your perseverance! My husband and I just read your post and we said , "Good for her!" I will think of you on Monday :-)

Tips for snacks? As I'm sure you've read, bring only foods that your really like. Personally, I found that I really like bagels when I hike and they're easy to carry around. My husband loved those GU energy packets. He ate all of them and they seemed to give him a boost! I love those Clif Blocks Energy Chews. Here's a link to someone who did the hike. Scroll down and you'll see a pic of her food haul.

https://www.ramblestate.com/mt-whit...itney-gear-list-essentials-what-to-ditch

In the past I struggled with eating at high altitudes. I had 0 appetite and it made moving difficult. I made sure for Whitney to get enough calories prior to Trail Camp because I read people often had a problem eating anything above that. It really did help me.

Hopefully others can give you some advice too. Much luck Katie!! Cindy
Posted By: Katie0316 Re: Aug 3 Day Hike - 07/31/20 04:12 AM
Thank you so much for the tips and well wishes smile I will definitely keep those in mind!

Love the snack ideas, especially bagels...I’ll be sure to pack one.

Many thanks - wishing you and your husband all the best!
Posted By: tarheel1 Re: Aug 3 Day Hike - 07/31/20 11:23 PM
Hi Katie, My wife and I have tried the last 3 years to summit as a day hike and didn't make it either. We did get closer each year and last year we were less than a half mile from the top when I gave up. I agree with the other poster to take food you really like and probably avoid anything dry. My appetite definitely was affected by altitude or exhaustion or both. Most hikes trail mix and similar food is all I need but for Whitney I would also recommend those chewy energy bars. A hiker last year realized I was struggling and gave me some of his with caffeine. Without that I may still be trying to get back to the trailhead. Good luck!
Posted By: Katie0316 Re: Aug 3 Day Hike - 08/01/20 11:30 AM
Thank you so much for the tips on food! And I think I was about the same distance away when I called it last time as well...
Posted By: tarheel1 Re: Aug 3 Day Hike - 08/05/20 12:58 AM
Hi Katie, Was curious if your fourth try was a charm. I spent all day cleaning my yard up after the hurricane and am almost as tired as I was on my Mt. Whitney hikes. Let us know your attempt went.
Posted By: Team Dirty Boots Re: Aug 3 Day Hike - 08/05/20 02:33 PM
I'm curious too! I was thinking about her on Monday and hoping she did well.
© WhitneyZone Message Board