Mt Whitney Zone
I'm currently on Thanksgiving break from college, which is all the way in Indiana. I would like to really do Whitney already since its been on my mind for like 2 years now, but I never got the chance to make the trip. Finals for me end in about two weeks, and I would like to do the Mountaineer's route. I'm looking for good conditions (snow up to the final 400 but not enough to require serious winter mountaineering skills and ideally dry rock up the final 400). Do you guys think I can luck out with those conditions within the next 2 weeks, or is that just very unrealistic and naive of me to consider this?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Is this a good time to do Whitney's MR - 11/27/20 06:05 AM
Sorry I didn't see this until today. The MR will likely not be dry rock. There is a lightly iced over trail at the cables on the main trail, so there will be at least a light coating of ice on the Final 400. You could take the Main Trail ok, but the MR would take some careful skill. See the pics in the Current Conditions thread.
Posted By: Ian B Re: Is this a good time to do Whitney's MR - 11/27/20 06:33 AM
Not a great time to do the Mountaineers Route. The ice that Steve mentioned makes the final 400 pretty dangerous, a fall on that section is almost always fatal. Plus the ~10 hours of daylength this time of year leaves not much daylight (or warmth) to climb the MR.
Here is an old trip report.
© WhitneyZone Message Board