Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: WanderingJim Good 4-5 day Winter backpackign trip - 01/14/21 03:41 AM
With Yosemite closed to overnight, I want to try to decide on a good target for a 4-5 day winter backpacking trip. Made harder this year, of course.

Anyone have some ideas?

Not sure about trying Whitney in the Winter, but I've done dumber things. smile

I was thinking the Tahoe Desolation Wilderness, but no idea of how that is in the Winter and current conditions.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Good 4-5 day Winter backpackign trip - 01/14/21 06:48 AM
Jim, all the areas I can think of are snow-bound in winter. Somewhere in the desert maybe, but I don't know of any.

I just day-hiked Kaiser Peak (almost) due to the dry winter, and climbing part way up and camping might be fun. Until near the top, you could find dry ground to camp, and snow to melt for water. Kaiser Pk is east of Fresno, at 10,000' elevation. But there isn't a lot of miles where you could backpack for more than a day.

...Oh, there is a low-elevation trail in Sequoia National Park, that follows the Middle Fork Kaweah River (near the Three Rivers entrance). I don't know anything about backpacking that trail, though.
Sorry, should have indicated that snow isn't a big issue. I've got winter gear, so actually looking for some nice snow-scapes to explore.
Posted By: jackeichler Re: Good 4-5 day Winter backpackign trip - 01/14/21 06:43 PM
Convict Lake provides easy access in the winter. You could do a loop connecting Convict Lake to the McGee Creek trailhead, hitting various peaks and/or lakes along the way (Mt. Baldwin, Red Slate Mt. are two that are on my to-do list in that area).
© WhitneyZone Message Board