Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/11/21 08:34 PM
I called the Inyo County Roads dept several days ago, and the person I spoke to said they hoped to have the road to Whitney Portal open by April 15.

Also the road to Onion Valley Road is open as of April 8.
Posted By: Paul Re: Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/12/21 03:28 PM
Thanks Steve. I've want to drive up to Onion Valley and the Portal to wander around for a couple days with the dog. We'll sleep in the back of the car.

Can you post when Horseshoe Meadows road opens, or is scheduled to open.

paul
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/12/21 04:00 PM
Paul, sorry I left out Horseshoe Meadows. It is always the last to be opened--probably the most difficult due to potential rock slides. The Inyo county roads person didn't have any ideas when it would open.
Posted By: MikeH Re: Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/13/21 01:44 PM
Thanks for the updates, Steve. smile
Posted By: Paul Re: Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/20/21 01:31 AM
just back from the Portal. The road is closed at the gate just below the overflow parking lot. And on Sunday, there had to be 30 cars parked along side the road, but by 7:30pm, most cars were gone.

Also, I went over to Onion Valley and the road is open all the way tp the trailhead.

And finally, the Horseshoe Meadows road was opened to the last gate which is about half a mile or so to the Cottonwood Trailhead. Not very much snow up there. Road is clear. I'll send Steve some pics and if wants, he can post them.

Paul
Posted By: MikeH Re: Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/20/21 02:32 AM
Thanks for posting that information, Paul.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Portal Road opening 2021 - 04/22/21 05:50 AM
Here are three of Paul's pictures:

Whitney Portal
[Linked Image]

Horseshoe Meadows
[Linked Image]

Onion Valley
[Linked Image]
© WhitneyZone Message Board