Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Weihrock Check In: - 06/21/21 09:41 PM
I'm having the hardest time trying to check in to my Mt Whitney hike this week. I have reservations for this Thursday and I sent them an email last week and never got a response, I've also been calling the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center and Wilderness Permit Office non stop and nobody will pick up. Anyone else having issues? I'm coming in from Ohio and I'm starting to feel really frustrated.
Posted By: Wiff Re: Check In: - 06/21/21 09:51 PM
Hey are you aware of the fire? Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's a fire on the hill. They've evacuated Whitney Portal and I think cancelled trips, probably for a few days is my guess. There's another thread on it. Sorry about that.
Posted By: sdm Re: Check In: - 06/21/21 10:56 PM
I'm watching very closely, too, as I'm heading up on the 30th for hiking up on the 1st. Some concerning news is that this individual on Reddit claims that their campsite in the campground was cancelled for the 27th. https://www.reddit.com/r/SEKI/comments/o4k1qw/whitney_portal_fire/
Posted By: fit2climb Re: Check In: - 06/21/21 11:42 PM
Weihrock,

The reason they are not responding or not answering the phone is not due to the current fire. My day hike permit was for June 14 and I emailed the Eastern Sierra Interagency two weeks before and never got a response (emailed three times). I called every day - no one picked up. So, I drove to the Visitor Center the day before and waited in line for my permit. There was no one behind the desk issuing permits when I arrived. I waited over an hour and finally someone showed up. The employee was very nice and told me that they are severely understaffed.

You're going to have to go to the Visitor Center and get your permit. Get there when it opens. Be prepared to wait. However, with this developing Inyo Creek Fire in the area, you'll need to monitor and check if the road is going to be open to the Portal.

Let's hope that fire crews get the upper hand on this fire quickly!
© WhitneyZone Message Board