Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: SierraSlug Clothing - 06/07/22 10:31 PM
Going up Fri. Is puff jacket adequate or need more layer? Gloves too?
Posted By: Paul King Re: Clothing - 06/08/22 09:43 PM
Sierraslug;

Great question. I’ve day-hiked it many times(going again in 2 weeks) and I never believe what the forecast says. I always prepare for the worst: balaclava, gore Tex gloves, waterproof pants, and a good down jacket. Wind chill temperatures can be 50-60 degrees colder on top compared to the portal.
The items I mentioned are extremely light and can be life-saving.

On the day you’re going: 45 Mph winds and a wind chill of 19 degrees is forecasted. Just be prepared. Oh, I never use a bladder in freezing temps. The hose freezes up. Have water bottles and stuff them in your puffer jacket.

Good luck and have a safe trip!
Posted By: tif Re: Clothing - 06/09/22 11:34 PM
The forecast for the summit looks relatively fair: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Whitney/forecasts/4418

always be prepared for colder/worse temps/conditions than what is forecast though - mountains make their own weather
Posted By: G4u2 Re: Clothing - 06/10/22 12:27 AM
Last year I camped at LBSL in August and in the morning there was frost all over the grassy area around the lake. This in spite of that forecast website predicting overnight lows in the 60s for that elevation. These forecasted temperatures definitely don't account for the mountain microclimates. LBSL is such a bowl where cold air settles, and no forecast that I know of, including NOAA, account for that.
Posted By: aastro Re: Clothing - 06/11/22 04:06 AM
Regardless of where I’m going, I always bring enough clothes to survive the night relatively comfortably . Fortunately I have not had to test it out. My friend who broke his leg in the backcountry long ago rarely is without down pants in his pack.
© WhitneyZone Message Board