Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: thsftw Whitney Portal Road on Thursday/Friday? - 10/31/22 05:58 PM
Hey everyone! I've known about this forum forever but just joined since you'd all probably know a bit better than me - I'm travelling to Lone Pine for my birthday on Thursday-Saturday and have never been there so I really wanted to check out the Whitney Portal area (I know the store closes today). Since there's a storm that might leave a bit of snow on the road, what do you guys think the chances it will close are? Should I bring tire chains? Any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: NVG Re: Whitney Portal Road on Thursday/Friday? - 11/01/22 04:30 AM
I was just up there today and there a ton of vehicles and activity, even with the pending storm. I don't see the roads being closed but there could be some snow on them. I could be wrong.
Mountain Forecast calls for snow showers Tuesday and Wednesday nights. The National Weather Service is predicting up to a total of 2" of snow for the Portal over those days. Temps in the teens and 20's at Whitney Portal elevation, but getting into the 40's on Friday. We're expecting 3-9 inches around the Tahoe basin, but it sounds like less for the Whitney area. Seems unlikely that chains would be needed, but bringing them wouldn't be a terrible idea. And I'd say chances of the road closing this week are close to zero.
© WhitneyZone Message Board