Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: HikeClimbLove Camping for May Ascent - 01/03/23 03:44 PM
Hello All!

Hope this finds us all content and happy after a wonderful holiday! My wife, buddy and I are hoping to travel down from SEA area to climb the MR on Whitney in early May. I was hoping to camp the night before the ascent nearby to help with acclimitization. I was curious what recommendations you all would have as far as camping areas at elevation (ideally at or near 10k, open to camp higher if possible). I was told to check our Cottonwood Lakes CG, it saw that it’s possible it could be closed in early May.

Any other thoughts/recommendations/option would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Posted By: 805_backpacker Re: Camping for May Ascent - 01/03/23 04:22 PM
The road to CWL campground is sketchy enough, not sure how safe it would be to travel in winter. Being from SEA, I would think a night or two at Tuttle creek CG would be beneficial, and you can day hike up to the Ashram or up some of the slopes around Mt. Langley, etc. All while being able to eat well in Lone Pine to fuel up for the trip. If you are camping on the mountain at all before a summit push, I would think you would be okay from an acclimatization standpoint.

Posted By: WanderingJim Re: Camping for May Ascent - 01/04/23 12:37 AM
A night or two at Mammoth Lakes in a hotel (8,000 feet) might also be a possible good place to acclimatize.

Be aware, that early May could very well be Winter conditions going up Whitney. Especially if we continue to get more snow like we've gotten already (177% of normal).
Posted By: Steve C Re: Camping for May Ascent - 01/05/23 08:21 AM
There are two gates on Horseshoe Meadows Road. The Inyo county roads department closes the lower one for the winter, and opens it in April usually. They need to clear all the rockfall each spring. The upper gate is a half mile from the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead, and I believe is controled by the USFS. It is near the 10k elevation. People park at the gate in the days before it is opened. You could park and spend the night to acclimate there -- Overnight by your car, or maybe walk the last half mile and setup a quick camp site.

Here's the thread from last year concerning the gate. Horseshoe Meadows Road
Posted By: HikeClimbLove Re: Camping for May Ascent - 01/06/23 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone! I will certainly look into all of these as options as we get closer.
© WhitneyZone Message Board