Mt Whitney Zone
Report from Anchorage here.

"Officials said this attack was the first known fatal mauling in the park's history."
I feel sorry and sadness for the bear....rules are rules....this guy broke the rules and caused the death of a beautiful animal and his own. I grieve for this bear...my heart aches for this bear....

In Yellowstone....visitors are quickly reminded nearly everywhere they go to keep their required distance from all wildlife....in Hawaii tourists are warned to keep their distance from wildlife such as swimming near sea turtles ..Yosemite also requires distance from deer and not feeding deer and other wildlife....simple rules that save the life of animals and humans.

And the thing that bothers me most about this guy is that he was 49 years old...totally inexcusable behavior for a man his age.

I watch National Geographic channel if I want to see a closer view of animals.
I just arrived at Denali today - and have heard all about this from my cousin who works at a lodge up here. Apparently, the word here is that the victim's camera showed images of the bear as it was starting to attack. I guess the guy was too caught up in photographing the bear to realize that he was in danger.

Such a shame that his careless actions led not only to his death, but to the death of a bear.
Wow...Bryan your post shocked me because you wrote that reports are his camera shots revealed the bear right up to the time of the attack.....a normal person would drop the camera and run if a bear was running towards them or at least stop shooting pictures and do what is normal to do if a bear is about to attack...like play dead or get in festal position...I am not sure what a person is suppose to do except back away....this guy sounds like he had a death wish. Almost like he was committing SUICIDE BY BEAR.
© WhitneyZone Message Board