Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: wagga Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 03:17 AM
I suspect that this forum's average reader/poster <peakbagger> has aspirations and achievements exponentially beyond the dreams of your regular couch potato.

So I'd like to see a long running, rich stream of commentary on why we are motivated by special people. Take your time and consider your comment.

Personally, Linus Pauling is my hero, but because he passed away before Al. Gore invented the Internet, I'd like you to consider Burt Rutan's TED video.

I've followed Burt's achievements for some decades now, I've personally met his brother, also Jeanna Yeager, and one of his engineers is a best bud.

TED is one of the better reasons for the existence of the Internet.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 03:28 AM
wagga, no consideration time necessary for me - to this day, Ernest Shackleton's 2-year Antarctic adventure is the most amazing tale I've ever heard of. The triumph of he and his crew's determination, courage, sacrifice and mutual caring over ridiculous odds was what inspired me 20 years ago to get my ass out of the city and into the woods.

Number two on my list is a politician, strangely enough. Teddy Roosevelt. Among other things, he was the power and impetus behind the idea of national parks - my personal pet passion.

By the way, the "TED" link doesn't work. That damn Al Gore and his undependable internet!
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 03:54 AM
Quick call to Al, & it's fixed. Considering the effort it takes him to heave the bulk off the sofa, it's commendable.
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 03:56 AM
I have found Anthony Robbins seminars very inspirational to my life. I have walked on hot coals barefoot 2 times as a metaphor for turning fear into power.It has had a powerful impact in my personal and practice success.
I read Napolean Hill Think and Grow Rich often.It is amazing and way ahead of its time.
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 04:05 AM
Did you ever read Cherry & Birdie's Worst Journey in The Word?.

PS. The expedition's photographer was named Herbert Ponting. I have no idea whether he was related to Australia's Cricket Test Captain, Ricky Ponting.
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 04:12 AM
The guy who once told me he was lucky to get his ass shot off in the Hurtgen Forest so he didn't have to fight in the Bulge.

I usually called him Dad. He's the one next to the sign with target on his helmet.

This was one of very few things he said about his almost 2 years in Europe. From Carentan to the far side of the Elbe River.
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 04:27 AM
wbtravis that reminds me of my dad.He was left in charge of holding off the Germans while his troops went over a bridge in Italy.He said his commanding officer said "Fire at will" My dad said "I guess everyone thought my name was Will because they were all firing at me"
He recieved a Bronze Star for his actions that day even though his commanding officer recommended him in for a Silver Star.
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/06/10 04:37 AM
Probably the very best "Oh Shit!" moment in history...

"Truman had been vice president for only 82 days when President Roosevelt died, April 12, 1945. He had had very little meaningful communication with Roosevelt about world affairs or domestic politics after being sworn in as vice president, and was completely uninformed about major initiatives relating to the successful prosecution of the war--notably the top secret Manhattan Project, which was about to test the world's first atomic bomb."
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 05:00 AM
John Muir of course is a hero and inspiring to most who travel the mountains but i'd say the person I admire and inspires me the most is Christopher McCandless, a man that could have been almost anything he wanted inside society yet choose to cast it all away, burned his money (literally) and took to the tramp life to seek the deeper meanings in life that society tends to shield from our hearts, though his death may be considered by many stupid or wasteful I see no failure in it and find he lived more in those 2 years of adventure then most do their whole lives.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 05:18 AM
The Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Something like 33 men and one woman for two years into uncharted territory and back without a single life lost in the early 1800's when a simple cut on the finger could kill you. The ability of that many men to get along without a murder is remarkable. The leadership of those two men has yet to be matched.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Condron
The Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Something like 33 men for two years into uncharted territory and back without a single life lost in the early 1800's when a simple cut on the finger could kill you. The ability of that many men to get along without a murder is remarkable. The leadership of those two men has yet to be matched.

Mike, my 10 YO daughter was reading this over my shoulder and immediately chimed in with, "And one girl, dad! Remember how important Sacajawea was to the expedition!" I promised I'd share her thoughts. Ambrose's Undaunted Courage is one the best historical reads around.

That 1.000 batting average is one of the things that amazes me about Shackleton's 1914-1916 Endurance expedition as well. Two years stranded in the Antarctic in the most miserable conditions imaginable without a single life lost.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Mike, my 10 YO daughter was reading this over my shoulder and immediately chimed in with, "And one girl, dad! Remember how important Sacajawea was to the expedition!" I promised I'd share her thoughts.

Duly edited my post.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga
Quick call to Al, & it's fixed. Considering the effort it takes him to heave the bulk off the sofa, it's commendable.

Snort!

And the whole global cooling/warming/change thingy has made him so rich that he probably has a couple of Al-Gore-bulk-heavers on the payroll beside him at all times . . .
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: RoguePhotonic
i'd say the person I admire and inspires me the most is Christopher McCandless, a man that could have been almost anything he wanted inside society yet choose to cast it all away, burned his money (literally) and took to the tramp life to seek the deeper meanings in life that society tends to shield from our hearts, though his death may be considered by many stupid or wasteful I see no failure in it and find he lived more in those 2 years of adventure then most do their whole lives.

Now that could be another thread with a whole lotta commentary, as opinions are sharply divided on this guy. One thing is for certain though - park rangers in Alaska (and elsewhere) have seen an increase in behavior by young men modeled after McCandless, which is referred to as the McCandless Syndrome/Phenomenon. I haven't read Krakauer's book or seen the flick, but I guess I need to. There's something in McCandless' ill-prepared adventure that seems to touch a lot of people.

My initial impression, after reading an article on him years ago, was simple and brusque: what an idiot. Apparently that's a very common reaction, especially among those of us who do venture "Into the Wild" - regularly, prepared, and with a healthy degree of respect for Mama Nature's temperament. Clearly though, I'm missing something. I realize I'm a left-brain kinda guy and will view almost any matter from a practical, linear standpoint first, but I have enough right-brain inventory to recognize that other people will see the same pattern differently from me. Anyway, I ordered Krakauer's book from Amazon today to see if I can make sense of McCandless and his story. A lot of people appear to see him as a hero, as you do Rogue. I'd really like to understand it.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 06:42 PM
I had to read the Wikipedia page to find out about McCandless' story.

From that page, a quote from Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian:
Quote:
People, nearly always young men, come to Alaska to challenge themselves against an unforgiving wilderness landscape where convenience of access and possibility of rescue are practically nonexistent

My first impression is that those who are attracted to that mode are probably like McCandless, in that they grew up in a home environment that was always more than comfortable -- more than enough of life's necessities. And I then recall my childhood, where apparently my family was living below the poverty level, barely able to buy necessary clothing and never allowed to have extras like candy or soda pop. (At the time I didn't realize it was that bad; I was a little kid.)

But living that way, and slowly gaining ground getting out of the economic pit, it left me with a strong desire to NEVER return to that mode. So throwing away all those hard-earned worldly goods and "living off nature" are a completely foreign concept to me.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 07:26 PM
In regards to McCandless, suicide by any other name is still suicide. The method doesn't make it something else.

It's like: I'm going to fly my plane west over the pacific until it runs out of gas. My adventure will be the return trip.
Posted By: Ken Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 07:29 PM
First the disclaimer: I consider Jon Krakauer a friend.

My first reading of Into the Wild gave me the same impression as many: a modern product of pampered society, who thinks he can go into full survival mode, without paying the dues, with predicable results.

It talking with Jon about it, though, that was clearly not his take. Not to speak for him, but, he seemed to think that it represented the same process that most people make at some point in their adolescent-->adult journey, although this one had defined exterior parameters that everyone could see. In this case it might be a bull moose, in another a "bull" trainman, or a corner enforcer. Jon really intended this to be ONE EXAMPLE of the journey that most face to a life as an independent adult.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/08/10 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
But living that way, and slowly gaining ground getting out of the economic pit, it left me with a strong desire to NEVER return to that mode. So throwing away all those hard-earned worldly goods and "living off nature" are a completely foreign concept to me.

Add a spouse and, most especially, children to that responsibility cocktail and McCandless' style of philosophical adventurism is completely impractical for most of us, regardless of our motivations. As are many other things, this is an unattached young man or woman's endeavor. I'm not so drastically far removed from my twenties that I can't recall acting on a wild hair, but unnecessary self-denial and voluntary austerity weren't ever in my game plan. No Tibetan monk here.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 12:12 AM
Did you ever read Cherry & Birdie's Worst Journey in The Word?.

PS. The expedition's photographer was named Herbert Ponting. I have no idea whether he was related to Australia's Cricket Test Captain, Ricky Ponting.

No wagga, but been meaning to after it was given quite a bit of space in Huntford's The Last Place on Earth (Amundsen beating Scott to the South Pole). That's one of the biggest challenges I face daily - so many good books, so little time!
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 01:22 AM
Although he lacked the necessary skills to survive completely it wasn't a totally blind attempt at wilderness survival, what really made him think he could do it is he lived for a month in the Gulf of Mexico on only a 10 pound bag of rice and what he could manage to catch, and considering he did quite well in the wild, better then the movie shows.

It is true that if he had only had a map he would not have died, the river he could not cross has a basket pulley system to get across only a couple miles down stream, although foolish you do have to consider the notion of how can you truly have a pioneer type experience in modern day when every inch of the earth is mapped? do like he did and dismiss the map all together! wink

I just relate to his story allot and am stuck in a debate with myself to take to the tramp life like he did because society has nothing to offer me.

The movie is still one of my favorites for sure: trailer the 480p version of that doesn't seem to work but the 360p version does.

I saw the movie before I read the book and I liked it that way because I felt the book then was giving me more insight into the story.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 01:52 AM
Whatever you do there should be at least some basic survival skills obtained and proper equipment carried. It's quite a bit different hoboing it around the countryside and taking off into the wilderness with a match and a knife so to speak. Take on challenges but pass on folly.

Posted By: KevinR Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 02:03 AM
What I took from McCandless story is his very confused relationship with his father, and that was the driver in pushing him to attempt the "heroic gesture", and perhaps drove him to remain when it would have been obvious to most other people that he was in extreme danger early on.

I wasn't up for watching the ending of the movie, of him perishing. There wasn't anything left to learn about a very muddled young man, and little would be served to simply watch him die.
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 02:13 AM
Well he had a .22 rifle laugh it's kind of amazing he managed to kill a moose with it!, but there is one of the skills he lacked, the know how to preserve meat but to be fair he went off the advice from his South Dakota friends and tried to smoke the meat when it would have been better to cut it into thin slices and dry it.

Quote:
What I took from McCandless story is his very confused relationship with his father, and that was the driver in pushing him to attempt the "heroic gesture", and perhaps drove him to remain when it would have been obvious to most other people that he was in extreme danger early on.

Well he actually managed to survive long enough to be satisfied with what he did out there and he did try to leave, the early season melt is what kept him there, then of course the mold on his seeds made him sick and finished him off.

What I find really foolish is his original plan that the movie did not cover was to walk cross country for 500 miles, this plan is nuts when you consider the horrible marsh terrain of early spring and the fact that finding enough food is a full time job by itself but to add traveling and the calories burned from doing so? he spent the night in the bus then traveled for two days and realized how bad his plan was so he returned to the bus and stayed.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 02:34 AM
Re McCandless, Into the Wild, et al, while browsing around this evening I found a site with an article by an Alaskan ranger that touched on Sean Penn's thoughts (on comments by another Alaskan ranger that were less than flattering about McCandless' unpreparedness in the wild and his eventual demise due to it). Penn was the director of Into the Wild. Without a doubt a highly talented individual, but not the sharpest or most balanced knife in the drawer (remember his chaotic, almost comical attempt to "rescue" Katrina survivors in a rowboat - which promptly sank 10 feet from shore?). Penn's comments below (slightly edited for a PG audience) are directed at rangers in general and give some insight into his thinking:

"No, I don't object to a person who wears a brown shirt and a patch on their shoulder and follows instructions all day either. I'm not all that interested in what the park rangers have to say. I accept that there's an automatic instinct to judge those you envy and who have more courage than you do, and I think that while he (the ranger) rides around in his four-wheeler on a CB radio getting fat, Chris McCandless has spent 113 days f(bomb)ing alone in the most unforgiving wilderness that God ever created."

So, BobR and all you other rangers and wilderness personnel of various persuasions out there - how's that instruction-following, four-wheeling, CB radio-chatting, pound-packing job workin' for ya? I never knew you guys had it so easy! Next time you have to perform a SAR in hazardous conditions or any other demanding aspect of your job, you might want to hold up and give Sean a call first to ensure it's done properly. He's clearly the man with the plan.
Posted By: KevinR Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 02:52 AM
Re McCandless, Into the Wild, et al, while browsing around this evening I found a site with an article by an Alaskan ranger that touched on Sean Penn's thoughts (on comments by another Alaskan ranger that were less than flattering about McCandless' unpreparedness in the wild and his eventual demise due to it). Penn was the director of Into the Wild. Without a doubt a highly talented individual, but not the sharpest or most balanced knife in the drawer (remember his chaotic, almost comical attempt to "rescue" Katrina survivors in a rowboat - which promptly sank 10 feet from shore?). Penn's comments below (slightly edited for a PG audience) are directed at rangers in general and give some insight into his thinking:

"No, I don't object to a person who wears a brown shirt and a patch on their shoulder and follows instructions all day either. I'm not all that interested in what the park rangers have to say. I accept that there's an automatic instinct to judge those you envy and who have more courage than you do, and I think that while he (the ranger) rides around in his four-wheeler on a CB radio getting fat, Chris McCandless has spent 113 days f(bomb)ing alone in the most unforgiving wilderness that God ever created."

So, BobR and all you other rangers and wilderness personnel of various persuasions out there - how's that instruction-following, four-wheeling, CB radio-chatting, pound-packing job workin' for ya? I never knew you guys had it so easy! Next time you have to perform a SAR in hazardous conditions or any other demanding aspect of your job, you might want to hold up and give Sean a call first to ensure it's done properly. He's clearly the man with the plan.

Hmmm - I think you're off-base to start a rant on Sean Penn. We'll never know how accurate his depiction of McCandless may be have, but his acting and directing abilities are superb.

Whether you agree with his politics or not - he puts his money where his mouth is and gets involved, whether it's in Louisiana, Haiti, or elsewhere.

As for his take on rangers - I agree that it's harsh. In my experience, I met many rangers who were superb. I've also met many who were arrogant, condescending, and totally convinced of their own self-importance. So what?
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 03:56 AM
Originally Posted By: KevinR
Hmmm - I think you're off-base to start a rant on Sean Penn. We'll never know how accurate his depiction of McCandless may be have, but his acting and directing abilities are superb.

Whether you agree with his politics or not - he puts his money where his mouth is and gets involved, whether it's in Louisiana, Haiti, or elsewhere.

As for his take on rangers - I agree that it's harsh. In my experience, I met many rangers who were superb. I've also met many who were arrogant, condescending, and totally convinced of their own self-importance. So what?

Not ranting Kevin, but I can't speak for Sean. I just supplied a quote relevant to members of this board related to Chris McCandless and Into the Wild. Never mentioned his politics or his commitment to his beliefs, only his lack of common sense (or bad judgement) during Katrina. I also noted his talent as well. What I did zero in on and attack was the sheer stupidity of his comments in this interview.

Was it a thoughtless, ill-conceived, and grossly all-encompassing comment? You bet. Did it piss me off? Oh yeah. You and I, our experiences with rangers in the US must be different. In thousands of trail miles, many of them in 30 or so national parks around the country, I've yet to have a bad experience with a ranger. Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe not. Either way, when I've seen Sean Penn out on the trail regularly for a few years, then I might have an ear for his thoughts on rangers and the job they do. Till then he's simply not qualified to offer an opinion (indictment?) on a subject like this that he clearly knows nothing about. He got ticked at one ranger's comments about McCandless, and he annihilated the entire profession in a sweeping, childish backhand. In my book, that just ain't cool.
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 04:17 AM
Chris McCandless has spent 113 days f(bomb)ing alone in the most unforgiving wilderness that God ever created. (Penn)

Actually he spent 113 dying because he didn't know that 1/4 mile from his "camp" there was a way across the river and salvation which it seemed he actually wanted.
I presume he lost about 80 pounds or more during his 113 days.

His seeds did not kill him.

Oh, one more thing, he was not by any stretch of the imagination in an unforgiving wilderness. He was in a bus for God sakes, and it was spring time.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 04:24 AM
And on "the most unforgiving wilderness God ever created", Sean has clearly never been to the Antarctic.
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 05:19 AM
I had to laugh at Seans comments about the rangers, there may be a couple like that but not many i'd say.

Quote:
His seeds did not kill him

Well it's sort of a mixed bag, the movie portrays him as eating the poisonous look alike of wild potato root but the book goes into the detail to disprove this, the trouble is although he was managing to find food he was burning more calories then he was consuming and after loosing a ton of weight the illness that his moldy seeds gave him could easily be shaken off by someone in fine health but in his already weakened state it drained him to the point of not being able to function which led to his death.

Besides his escape route I guess there were also hunting cabins just 6 miles away that were stocked with food if he had known they were there.

I have to say sorry also, I feel like I have spun this thread way off topic lol
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/09/10 06:47 PM
And now back to our "Heros and Heroines"
Posted By: wbtravis Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/10/10 02:48 AM
Now Rod, are you implying the thread, in good old internet message board tradition, has been hijacked?
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/10/10 03:09 AM
How about Hilary/Tenzing?
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/10/10 03:43 AM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis
Now Rod, are you implying the thread, in good old internet message board tradition, has been hijacked?

Hey, at least this one never got more than two degrees of separation away from the subject matter. We've had other threads that you needed binoculars, a map, and a compass to find the original thought.

Or maybe Mallory/Irvine? Nah - that would get us going again.
Posted By: SoCalGirl Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/10/10 06:31 AM
Ruth Dyer Mendenhall...

And our Elusive California Moose...
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 01:00 AM
Without a doubt one of the greatest men to ever live is John Wooden.His wisdom and humbleness is beyond anyone I have ever met or read.
I just re-read the book WOODEN:A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off The Court. His "Pyramid of Success" is brilliant and inspired.For those who only think of him as a successful basketball coach must read his books.He is a paradox of genius yet a mid-west simple ordinary person.
I had the amazing opportunity to meet him,shake his hand and tell him what a great inspiration he was to me.
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 01:13 AM
Originally Posted By: wbtravis

Hey, at least this one never got more than two degrees of separation away from the subject matter. We've had other threads that you needed binoculars, a map, and a compass to find the original thought.

Or maybe Mallory/Irvine? Nah - that would get us going again.

Getting home trumps first ascent. Always.
Posted By: Ken Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 01:46 AM
Wooden definitely on the list. Not even so much because of his success as a coach, but how he dealt with things with such grace and dignity, as well as how he positively impacted many.

One of mine, along such lines, Nelson Mandela
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 03:52 AM
Getting home trumps first ascent. Always.

Like I said, prime material for an endless, entertaining debate . . .

Personally, I think some Nepalese or Tibetan sherpa's great-great-great-great-great grandpappy probably summitted first, but we'll never know.
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 04:50 AM
Ken,
Wooden cared little about his 10 Championships. He cares about the character he developed in his players.He cares that he challenged them to be their best in life. Great man.His books are some of the most inspirational I have ever read.His down home wisdom and humility are unique amongst those self help guru types.He is so genuine.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 09:09 PM
My turn...

My Dad (RIP): Master Sergeant. U.S. Army. Korea, Vietnam. He instilled in me the values of hard work. What you put into it, you get out of it. If you don't put in enough, you won't get enough. If I didn't do it, BELT!

My Mom: She fed me and my dad made me do the chores to work it off. My mom is a great cook. I cannot duplicate some of the dishes she made. Guess that is what make mom's so unique.

My "American" uncle (RIP): Sergeant. U. S. Army. WWII, Korea. I worked on his farm during the summer during my adolescent years. It ain't easy being a farmer. He was a farmer all of us life. Mulching fields for planting and those ******* hay bales. Bucking square or round bales for 20 cents each. A 1,000-bale day was a good day in the 1970s.

My half-brother (RIP): Corporal, U.S. Army. Vietnam. He served their country while serving in Vietnam. I never got to know him or see him. It was when my parents came out to see me in Quantico, VA, in 1983. We went to The Wall. It was there I saw my father cry for the first time. I learned alot about my half-brother: He never quit. Duty. Honor. Country.

My son (RIP): USMA. 1st Lieutenant. U.S. Army. Duty. Honor. Country.

My daughter: USNA. Lieutenant. U.S. Navy. Naval aviator. She is going to be my "little astronaut" some day. She is tough. Doesn't even know the meaning of quit.

Others: Those who inspire me to do things outside of my "comfort zone." I see them do it, I hear them do it, I read them do it. If they can do it, I can at least try it, too. Then, if I can do it, you can do it, too!

I stop now...
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/12/10 11:28 PM
A lot to be proud of +@tude.
Quite a military family. You make us all proud.
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/24/10 11:56 PM
Scott White passed away recently. I followed his (& Crossfield's and others) exploits. Now you know I am an Old Dude.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=d1d593c8-e4c4-46e1-b8f4-58d829cbd4e5&
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/25/10 01:01 AM
Those test pilots are some of the craziest and most fearless guys ever. Mucho grande huevos.
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/25/10 01:46 AM
Rod, you asked for it:

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual com traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995 (in Tampa Bay, FL) while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex! You want oral sex?! You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

Best of Luck, Mr. Gorsky

Snopes: not so much
Posted By: wagga Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/25/10 02:49 AM
Oh, and Steve McQueen would have been 80 today.
Posted By: Rod Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/26/10 03:05 AM
You are a prize Dave.Had me on that one.I loved Chuck Yeagers book. He was quite a character and one of my all time favorite heros.He used to love to quail hunt in Jawbone Canyon.I wonder if he ever hiked MW? I wonder how many if any of those test pilots out at Edwards( formerly called Muroc) have. Probably never sober long enough between test flights.

"Blessed with exceptional 20/10 vision, Yeager had eyes that could "see forever." He combined this advantage with cunning, concentration, relentless ferocity and superb piloting skills to rack up a final total of 12.5 aerial victories--including five Me109s on 12 October and four FW 190s on 27 November."
http://www.chuckyeager.com/home.htm
Posted By: Bee Re: Heroes & Heroines - 03/26/10 05:01 AM
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Translation: "If it's not true, it's a good story."
© WhitneyZone Message Board