Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: sfalmanjr Winter Routes Near Los Angeles - 03/06/15 11:39 PM
Good afternoon all,

Thanks to everyone for the wisdom provided on these forums - it's been very helpful on my Sierra trips.

My fiancee and I are relatively new to Los Angeles, and I'd like to take her to some local mountains that have "winter" conditions so that I can teach her safe snow travel (i.e., self arrest, glissading, etc.) before taking her to some of the bigger Sierra mountains.

Does anyone have any recommendations near the Los Angeles area?

Thanks!
Posted By: goldscott Re: Winter Routes Near Los Angeles - 03/09/15 06:28 PM
Mt Baldy (San Antonio) and San Gorgonio are two classic peaks in the SoCal area.

I just went up San G yesterday via the South Fork Trail, departed the trail after Dry Lake (was on skis/skins; dug a pit to evaluate the snow pack, low avalanche danger) and headed up the north face chutes for some amazing powder. For mountaineering, I'd suggest leaving the trail at Mine Shaft Saddle (http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=34.108064,-116.827123&z=16&t=t4) and head up the NW ridge. Crampons and ice axe necessary in these conditions.
Posted By: Chicagocwright Re: Winter Routes Near Los Angeles - 03/09/15 09:20 PM
In Southern California I think I would just find a ski resort to learn the basic skills. I would be afraid that any of the hiking mountains could quickly get over the learner's ability level. I would want to practice falling with an ice axe and self arresting on a slope where you aren't going to get hurt if you can't stop correctly.
Posted By: 63ChevyII.com Re: Winter Routes Near Los Angeles - 03/10/15 07:46 PM
You'll probably have to hike 4-5 miles from the South Fork TH to find a good place to practice, but this is exactly what we did a few weeks ago.

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/02/24/sou...mb-feb-21-2015/
Posted By: sfalmanjr Re: Winter Routes Near Los Angeles - 03/11/15 01:15 AM
This is some great info. Thanks very much to everyone for the suggestions!
© WhitneyZone Message Board