Jessica

Posted by: wagga

Jessica - 10/23/09 07:08 AM

Not so much hiking as GPS & adventure.

She has already hit a cargo ship, but seems to be going OK now.

They will be setting up some kind of tracking feature sometime.

http://jessicawatson.com.au/
Posted by: Steve C

Re: Jessica - 10/23/09 11:34 AM

Whoa!!!

Blogger user profile:
Quote:
Jessica Watson

About Me

Ambition: Become the youngest person to sail solo, nonstop and unassisted around the world

How old is she?

Re: Jessica - 10/23/09 12:15 PM

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,26252731-421,00.html?from=public_rss

My brother lives in the area, which is how I know about it.

More info & a picture:

http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2009/09/jessica-watson.html
Posted by: Rod

Re: Jessica - 10/24/09 07:54 AM

I tracked Zac Sunderland who is the youngest to successfully circumnavigate the world sailing.He was 16 when he started. Now his 15 year old sister wants to do it.It was such a scary and dangerous trip for Zac. Scary on the ocean with pirates and crzy weather.
http://www.zacsunderland.com/
We have been helping Zac at Hops. Since he finished he has been like a Rock star and too busy for us.

Re: Jessica - 10/25/09 06:49 PM

Well, Jessica's made a week so far, doing a little better than the expected average speed. Wish you well, girl.
Posted by: melville1955

Re: Jessica - 10/27/09 11:18 AM

sailing! nice. That is what I did this last weekend (10/25), it was a less competitive event than usual...
http://blog.beatsarcoma.org/
check out the pictures, I am the one blowing up the balloon at the bottom of the blog entry.

Re: Jessica - 10/27/09 11:31 AM

Whoa! Lotsa pictures on that blog page! Looks like everyone had fun.

Re: Jessica - 10/28/09 11:30 AM

Wow melville1955 I had no idea you were a frog.You kept that secret really well.
Posted by: Ken

Re: Jessica - 10/29/09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: melville1955
sailing! nice. That is what I did this last weekend (10/25), it was a less competitive event than usual...
http://blog.beatsarcoma.org/
check out the pictures, I am the one blowing up the balloon at the bottom of the blog entry.

We need to talk sometime

Ken
Commodore
Fairwind Yacht Club

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 11:43 AM

Courts rule girl too young to attempt around the world sail.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4608269

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 11:59 AM

I'm sorry, but I think this record-chasing is just wrong.

In the recently posted article, it quotes someone as saying that the girl's motive is not the record, but just to sail.

BS. It is about the record.

She is going to sail on a 26 foot yacht? That is a VERY small boat. She is a very inexperienced sailor. It is emblematic, that she'd not even had an appropriate first aid course, and had not seen the need for it. This is the problem with people of that age....they cannot see that bad things might happen.....and on these voyages, they DO happen.

One of the most difficult things in these types of voyages, is the need to keep watch, 24/7. When do you sleep? It is very problematic. And yet, how to you keep a watch on what is going on? You trust to luck.

A very telling tale, is that of the first, Robin Knox-Johnston, in "A world of my own". Truly hair raising, at a time when none of the electronic safety stuff existed. However, he was a professional sailor, with many years of experience on the high seas.

This chick sounds like a typical clueless teenager, not fathoming what is possible.

I don't agree with this, I don't agree with the progressively younger attempts on Everest, or even such things on Whitney.

The statement:

"The good news today is that we have established Laura is capable of making this voyage," her lawyer, Peter de Lange, said.

is just so wrong on so many levels. The ocean establishes whether Laura is capable, not a court, and not some oaffish self-serving lawyer.

I'm getting grouchy in my old age. sleep

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 12:29 PM

I was wondering if you have an opinion on the subject Ken?LOL!!
I agree with you completely on this.
This is a great line Ken.
"The ocean establishes whether Laura is capable, not a court"
I followed Zac Sunderlands sail around the world.You are right about keeping watch as there were days without sleep. Storms, pirates,boredom, mechanical problems,electronic issues,food storage, preparation and an appetite are just a few of the constant moment by moment issues for at least a year on the seas.

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 12:33 PM

Ken wrote:
> The ocean establishes whether Laura is capable, not a court, and not some oaffish self-serving lawyer.

You might add to that, "and not some self-serving parent". I just know that that parents are hoping to also put themselves in the spotlight by urging their child to pursue such a voyage.

And the ocean establishes whether she is even worthy of living or dying!

World record keepers should abolish age as something to be beaten, because it will lead to tragedy.

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 01:35 PM

Helium balloons are much cheaper & the child doesn't even have to be aboard.

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve C
Ken wrote:

World record keepers should abolish age as something to be beaten, because it will lead to tragedy.

And in all of these things, eventually that will happen. And at that point, it will be the fault of the particular parent (it will seem), and they will take a lot of heat. But are those parents any worse than the ones that sent their child out, and the kid was lucky? Not in my estimation.

In the pro-level mountaineering community, there has been a controversy for years about whether it is responsible for a parent to go into dangerous terrain, such as K2. This has particularly been true of mothers who where killed with very young children. I remember Rob Hall calling from the top of Everest, and speaking to his pregnant wife, as he was dying. These people have taken a LOT of heat, but were they any less irresponsible, than the parent who successfully summitted?

I hear what you are saying about parents, Steve, and their motivations. I can't help but think that there is something warped there, in these attempts. Does that come from the current concept that every child is "exceptional" in Every Way? That they are the 1 out of 100 that survives..everything?

I sure don't know. But it just makes me shake my head.

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 05:41 PM

A rich man asked a Zen master to write something down that could encourage the prosperity of his family for years to come. It would be something that the family could cherish for generations. On a large piece of paper, the master wrote, "Father dies, son dies, grandson dies."

The rich man became angry when he saw the master's work. "I asked you to write something down that could bring happiness and prosperity to my family. Why do you give me something depressing like this?"

"If your son should die before you," the master answered, "this would bring unbearable grief to your family. If your grandson should die before your son, this also would bring great sorrow. If your family, generation after generation, disappears in the order I have described, it will be the natural course of life. This is true happiness and prosperity."

Re: Jessica - 10/30/09 11:40 PM

Ahh sooo, Master!
Posted by: AlanK

Re: Jessica - 11/01/09 01:21 PM

Ken, you are a voice of sanity.

From the LA Times reporting of Zac Sunderland's trip:
Quote:
Notable was the pirate scare. In October, he was 150 miles beyond Indonesia, on a course from Australia to the Cokos Keeling Islands, when he encountered a mysterious boat. The 60-foot wooden vessel did not appear on his radar screen.He tried unsuccessfully to raise its crew on the radio. He changed direction; it changed direction.

Winds were light and he could not escape, so he clutched his satellite phone -- his lifeline -- and dialed his home in Thousand Oaks.

A sister answered. Laurence Sunderland heard his son's panicked voice, grabbed the phone and rushed into his office. Zac's heart raced as he digested the instructions: Load your pistol and flare gun, then issue a radio security alert with your position.

Fire a warning shot if necessary, but at the first sign of aggression, shoot to kill because they'll try to kill you.

Laurence recalls: "For two hours we're sitting here not knowing what the situation was or whether Zac could handle it."

Re: Jessica - 11/03/09 02:46 PM

Jessica's site now has a tracker. Nice, too.

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage

Re: Jessica - 11/19/09 04:04 PM

Jessica crossed the Equator today. She'll sail about a hundred miles north & round one of the Line Islands. Then South. A long way South.

http://youngestround.blogspot.com/2009/11/big-day-pictures-tell-thousand-words.html

Re: Jessica - 11/19/09 04:19 PM

Wow! She has hundreds of people watching her progress from all over the world. Can,'t count the posts for just today!

Re: Jessica - 11/19/09 05:51 PM

Hundreds of comments - millions of lurkers. Most-watched blog in Oz.
Posted by: Karen R

Re: Jessica - 11/20/09 09:42 PM

I agree with Ken. There is no way this young woman has the experience or maturity to deal with what she may encounter. I think it's plain reckless for her parents to allow this. When she is 18 and is free to make her own decisions, then it is her decision. There's a reason they don't let kids in CA drive after a certain hour until they're 18. Experience. We know that's what counts when you're in deep doo-doo on the mountain--no different in the big blue sea. Craziness!!
Posted by: CMC2

Re: Jessica - 12/08/09 04:17 PM

I have been impressed with Jessica's Blogs and also the News
reports about her trip. She is immensely better qualified
to undertake this sailing than the Dutch girl Laura who admittedly is a couple of years younger, but definitely not as experienced.

CMC

Re: Jessica - 12/13/09 04:29 PM

Mentioned in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/jessica-watson-alone-but-not-lonely-20091214-kr1p.html

Re: Jessica - 12/17/09 05:04 AM

Class 6 climbing?. And she's into the 40s.

http://www.youngestround.blogspot.com/

Re: Jessica - 12/17/09 09:04 AM

Now HOW OLD is she? She writes like a professional author!

And climbing that mast and taking a picture... (what's that term for bravery? ...no, just doesn't go with a woman)

Re: Jessica - 12/17/09 09:58 AM

She recently turned 16 ! You won't catch me climbing
a 12 meter (almost 40') mast. Great picture of the deck
below from the top of the mast. Quite a gal !!

Re: Jessica - 12/20/09 09:40 AM

Just read that the Dutch girl, 14 yr old Laura, is missing
from her home. Her boat is still docked but there is
speculation that she might be headed for New Zealand as she
has dual citizenship. Last I heard the courts denied her
request to sail around the world with an updated decision
next summer to perhaps allow it.

Update: she was found in Dutch Caribbean Island St Maarten
Posted by: SanDi_carole

Re: Jessica - 12/20/09 06:42 PM

St Maarten is a nice place to be lost/missing in.
=)

Re: Jessica - 12/21/09 03:41 AM

Here's the story:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/dutch-teen-solo-sailor-found-on-caribbean-island-20091221-l7pc.html
Posted by: ClancyOfTheOverf

Re: Jessica - 12/25/09 07:44 AM

Jess says Merry Happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8F6EHpGLE

Re: Jessica - 01/07/10 01:17 PM

Jessica was in heavy winds & didn't post for a few days. She's popped up again, 500 nm. from the Horn. Cabin heater is broken & she can't fix it.

Re: Jessica - 01/09/10 06:28 AM

Jessicas's parents are flying out to watch her round Cape Horn.

Re: Jessica - 01/13/10 05:00 AM

Jessica has rounded Cape Horn!
She also spotted land for the first time since Sydney.

Re: Jessica - 01/23/10 04:01 PM

She's weathered a monster storm & some knockdowns...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/jessica-watson-weathers-a-monster-storm-20100124-mrzf.html

Re: Jessica - 01/24/10 08:20 AM

All kinds of news here.

Jessica turned turtle and broke her dunny.

Abby Sunderland (Zack's little sister) has set sail.

Laura Dekker may get permission to try, after she gets first-aid training and some proof that she can actually handle a boat.

As some have commented, the ocean is the ultimate judge of a sailor's competency. Jessica has gotten a good verdict this week.

As this thread monolog started out about GPS, it's interesting to note that Jessica's EPBIRB was automatically activated while she was upside-down. She had the presence of mind to use her sat-phone to call home & cancel the alert.

Re: Jessica - 01/24/10 10:19 AM

Have to admire these girls adventerous sprits but would I let my 16 year old daughter attempt something this dangerous? No way in hell.Not only is the challenge physically hard and demanding,withstanding storms that knock your boat over and in Zacs case break your masts, but it is a scary world out there with pirates that will steal your boat and kill you.God bless you Jessica and Abby. I will pray for your safety.I will also pray that thses kids parents come to their senses about letting 16 year old girls sail around the world for a stupid record and place in Guiness.

Re: Jessica - 01/31/10 07:48 AM

Abby's had leccy problems, & will be restarting from Cabo.

Not generating enough juice for all the stuff.

Jessica is flying along, has fixed the dunny and is now less than 2000 nm. from COGH.
Posted by: CaT

Re: Jessica - 01/31/10 07:35 PM

From having read through most all of Jessica's blog posts, I think she's doing it for more than just the record. I would venture to say that if you have the requisite skills, then being 16 doesn't increase or decrease the inherent dangers one way or the other. Even if you're our age, if pirates want to get you, they probably will. Ditto for knockdowns. From reading her many posts, I sense a maturity and healthy self-confidence well beyond her 16 years.

Re: Jessica - 02/03/10 03:29 PM

Abby is parked moored in Cabo.

She's not abandoning the attempt, as she is still north of the equator. Her finishing point will now be Cabo.
Posted by: So.BayMark

Re: Jessica - 02/04/10 06:51 PM

hows this for the oppisite of ages i've been following saito since just after he started from japan he's trying for his 8th time around the globe, this time the wrong way, hes had his share of problems....mark

www.saito8.blogspot.com

Re: Jessica - 02/08/10 12:41 PM

Jessica has passed well to the north of Tristan de Cunha, one of the world's most isolated islands.
She's followed by a fleet of hundreds of dolphins (or whatever a group of dolphins is called). You'll need to zoom out to see her progress.

Our other girl has left Cabo, so is officially starting over.
Posted by: + @ti2d

Re: Jessica - 02/08/10 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: wagga
...She's followed by a fleet of hundreds of dolphins (or whatever a group of dolphins is called)...

A group of dolphins is called...

If the dolphins were on water bikes then it would be a peloton.

I crack myself up sometimes...grin

Re: Jessica - 02/08/10 02:29 PM

I currently have a bike of ants in the kitchen.

Re: Jessica - 02/09/10 06:35 AM

The Official Jessica Watson Blog now has a new home here. I think the readers broke the server.

Abby's dad has a report on the Cabo stop.

Here is a summary if you are catching up.

Re: Jessica - 02/10/10 09:52 AM

Thanks for the updates wagga.Wow It really makes me nervous for these two girls. The power of nature is so strong. 4 knockdowns for Jessica. Wow I would cry mommy and quit and go home if it were me.Amazing spirits for these two young adventurers.

Re: Jessica - 02/10/10 03:53 PM

You mentioned that you were involved with the Zac's trip. Did you ever meet Abby or her dad. I think he might be Oz.

Re: Jessica - 02/10/10 04:44 PM

I met her dad. He is a great guy. Zac was suppossed to come up and meet with us all but then went on a whirl wind media trip across the country and we haven't heard from him since.

Re: Jessica - 02/12/10 08:53 AM

Jessica's blog has reverted back to the original site.
Changing servers is a little like changing spark plugs whilst driving down the road...

Re: Jessica - 02/12/10 09:17 AM

Sounds like maybe they couldn't overcome the issues with the comments that they were dealing with.

Both versions are good, but I actually liked the layout on the (briefly used) newer server better.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 02/12/10 09:58 AM

I suspect that they are getting a serious number of hits. Maybe Steve knows how to read the site meter?

Re: Jessica - 02/16/10 06:50 PM

Both Jessica & Abby have been stuck in light winds lately, but both are moving now - Jessica into the Eastern Hemisphere, Abby towards the Equator. Getting colder for Jessica, warmer for Abby.

Jessica

Abby

Re: Jessica - 02/16/10 07:37 PM

Thanks for the links and updates. I followed Zac's daily blogs religiously. There was a rogue wave that hit Zac's boat that wiped out his electronics including his batteries and chargers for his Sat phone. They had no word for several days from him until they got a SPOT message saying he was OK.

Re: Jessica - 02/18/10 05:56 PM

Abby will be crossing the Equator before the day is out.

Jessica has been at sea for 4 months today. Apparently she doesn't like banana chips, unlike Dick Rutan. After returning from the first non-stop flight around the earth, he was asked to return Voyager from Edwards back to Mojave. "There are not enough banana chips on this planet to get this monkey into that cockpit", he said.

Re: Jessica - 02/19/10 02:48 PM

Abby posted several hours ago that she was 6 miles from the equator. Should be in the Southern Hemisphere by now.

Day 28 (2/19/2010) - Abby crossed the Equator at 3:07pm Pacific Time at 120 15 West
2/19/2010

Re: Jessica - 02/21/10 05:35 PM

Sunday Update:

Jessica's ripping, almost at COGH.

Abby is over the line.

The Jules Verne trophy is being contested by Groupama 3. (The record for sailing non-stop around the globe is just over 50 days) Some amazing hour-by-hour action here. (Click the minus button at the lower RHS to see the bigger picture) This 115' trimaran has covered more than 850 nm. in a day, sees hourly average speeds over 42 mph.

Saito-san's 8th circumnavigation is on hold due to gear failure and & an injury.

The first Indian circumnavigation attempt has entered the Eastern Hemisphere. Commander Dilip is not going nonstop/unsupported, though.

Re: Jessica - 02/21/10 06:58 PM

If Abby is paying attention, the shuttle Endeavour should be passing right overhead right now.

Re: Jessica - 02/22/10 04:46 AM

Jessica is trying for the new blog location again.

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 06:04 AM

Jessica's caping quite well:

Quote:

Well that's it. Another ocean and cape down! It took a while with light winds for the last few days but Ella's Pink Lady has passed under Cape Agulhas, but being 400nm south of land I couldn't quite see it this time. A bright orange half moon and a spectacular sky of stars was enough of a celebration. But of course, I also put a bit of a dent in the chocolate supplies and let off a few party poppers!

She's only 16, but she knows chocolate is food!

Cape Leeuwin is next, 4200 nm. away.

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 09:18 AM

wagga wrote:
> Cape Leeuwin is next, 4200 nm. away.

Ok Dave, what's the difference between km and nm?

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 10:07 AM

A km. (kilometer) is 1000 meters (about .6 of a statute mile).
A statute mile is 1760 yards.
A nautical mile is 2000 yards, and a knot is 1 nm. per hour.

TMI?

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 02:39 PM

Or, as expressed in feet:

One mile (sm) - 5,280 feet
One kilometer (km) - 3,274 feet
One nautical mile (nm) - 6,000 feet

1 knot = 1.14 miles

CaT

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 07:30 PM

Ok Dave, what's the difference between km and nm?

Just in case Steve meant "nanometer" instead of "nautical mile", the difference is a factor of a trillion (American meaning of "trillion" not British).

That would mean that Cape Leeuwin was only 4.2 micrometers away!

Nerd humor. smirk

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 08:48 PM

Thanks Alan. Because nanometer was truly the word being processed in my brain. I was SO CONFUSED!   confused

Re: Jessica - 02/24/10 08:59 PM

My mind was all out to sea. Need chocolate.
Posted by: Mike Condron

Re: Jessica - 02/25/10 12:26 AM

So she should have done the whole trip in a few msecs then?

Re: Jessica - 02/25/10 08:11 AM

Things would be easier if everyone would use proper units. For example, velocity would be expressed in furlongs per fortnight.

It goes without saying that there is a Wikipedia page on this subject. Unfortunately, Wikipedia seems to think it's all a joke. cry

Re: Jessica - 02/25/10 08:50 AM

Proper units are over at El Reg, with some additional standards here.

And here is your Standards Converter.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: CaT
Or, as expressed in feet:

One mile (sm) - 5,280 feet
One kilometer (km) - 3,274 feet
One nautical mile (nm) - 6,000 feet

1 knot = 1.14 miles

CaT

Not quite. A knot is a measure of speed, not distance. A nautical mile and a knot are not the same thing.
Posted by: KevinR

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken
Not quite. A knot is a measure of speed, not distance. A nautical mile and a knot are not the same thing.

Yup. My ice boat tops out at 50 knots, which is considerably faster than 50 mph.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
My ice boat tops out at 50 knots, which is considerably faster than 50 mph.

I understand a nm and a knot are not the same thing and that a knot is a mesure of speed and not distance. As a long time weather spotter for the NWS, I do know that the minimum criteria speed for wind to be "severe" in a severe thunderstorm is 50 knots, which is also the same as 58 mph. Obviously, distance is a part of how speed is calculated - thus, my less than perfect expression of 1 knot = 1.14 miles. I had original expressed this as 1 knot (per hour) = 1.14 miles (per hour), but resulting from a corrective comment made in a PM by another member here, I deleted the (per hour) notations shortly after my original post on this.

So since 50 knots = 58 mph, then it follows that 1 knot = 1.14 mph. I don't really desire to get into a technical discussion about this. My original "clarifying" post above was merely to try and express the various nm, sm, etc. in one common denominator (feet), to make it easier to understand.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 03:10 PM

To bring this thread back on topic, has anyone besides me wondered if and/or how the tsunami created by the 8.8 Chile quake this morning will affect Jessica?

I could only find a map showing the incremental wave dissemination throughout the main Pacific basin. But from that map, it appeared that the waves would also head out into the Southern Ocean (which is where the map cut off), which would eventually affect Jessica.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 03:39 PM

Abby is out to sea, so she is safe.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 04:38 PM

Night has fallen in Chile.
The Jules Verne Trophy racer, is again, well out to sea, probably did not even notice the waves, which only get tall when they hit shallow water.

Mexico did see some effects.

Jessica is in the Indian ocean, so is safe.

Abby has a special message on her blog.

Commander Dilip is in harbor at Cape Town.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 06:10 PM

Plus I think the period of a Tsunami is quite long thus the low amplitude at sea. Many minutes as opposed to a normal swell which is way less than a minute like between 15 seconds to 30 seconds.

San Francisco Bay can get 6 foot swells with a 9 second period. The America's Cup could be interesting.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 06:24 PM

CNN's Hawaii coverage suggested 8 peaks in 4 hours, so a 30-minute period.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/10 11:22 PM

I understand a nm and a knot are not the same thing and that a knot is a mesure of speed and not distance.
CaT

I wasn't really meaning to think that you didn't, but were using shorthand, which you were.
As a sailing instructor, I'm continually educationg people as to the meaning of the units, about which most people are confused. As a mathematician (statistics), I'm somewhat anal about keeping track of units in any discussion, to make sense of things.

It just jumped out at me as something that would be confusing, like stating that 1 mile = 60 minutes. Huh?

Re: Jessica - 02/28/10 06:43 AM

Abby has reported in.

Re: Jessica - 02/28/10 06:41 PM

No problem.

You're a sailing instructor?? What *don't* you do? smile
My brother-in-law took a series of courses for some level of sailing licensure (not sure what license it is).

CaT

Re: Jessica - 03/03/10 03:59 PM

Jessica has posted some pictures.

Abby has a weather pic and shows off her weather software.

The big tri is very close to Cape Horn, and has posted a video. Note the wake towards the end.

Be thankful computers don't have Smell-O-Rama yet.

Re: Jessica - 03/03/10 05:48 PM

Both of theses girls are amazing. I bet Abby will have less mechanical problems that her brother Zac just because she is a girl and seems to be on top of everything. Always checking, performing maintenance, tightening and cleaning.As long as she doesn't get hit by a rogtue wave or run into crazy weather. She has quite a weather station at her disposal.
Jessica's pics are great.

Re: Jessica - 03/04/10 12:11 PM

The big fast tri has rounded Cape Horn.

Re: Jessica - 03/05/10 03:52 PM

Abby found her hairbrush, so now she's posted a video.

Re: Jessica - 03/05/10 04:00 PM

I am so glad she found the hairbrush. She might have sailed into a port to find one. Do they have any convenience stores in the middle of the Atlantic?

Re: Jessica - 03/10/10 05:42 PM

Jessica has fixed the dunny.

Abby appears to be wandering North-East to Easter Island!

Re: Jessica - 03/12/10 03:02 PM

Abby's team has answered some interesting questions.

Quote from a comment:

"Update on solo sailors out there now:
Jessica Watson, doing fine, non-stop.
Abby Sunderland, doing fine, non-stop.
Dilip Donde, doing fine, planned stop.
Bernt L

Re: Jessica - 03/14/10 05:40 PM

Jessica chatted with a nearby ship & aircraft.

Abby had a 200-mile day.

The Jules Verne trophy blokes crossed the equator and might be able to break 50 days for the circumnavigation. An amazing photo here.

Re: Jessica - 03/14/10 11:15 PM

Appreciate the updates Dave.

Re: Jessica - 03/15/10 05:04 PM

Abby noted her daily position in miles from the Bloop.

Jessica is boring. Holes through the ocean.

Re: Jessica - 03/18/10 08:05 AM

Jessica's almost half-way across the Indian Ocean. She spoke with the captain of the QM2 by RT.

Abby hit some heavy weather for St. Patrick's day.

The big tri is on track to break the Jules Verne Trophy record.

Re: Jessica - 03/19/10 01:35 PM

A summary, noting that the 14-year-old intends to try.

The Jules Verne challenge tri should arrive tomorrow. Check progress here.

Re: Jessica - 03/19/10 03:25 PM

I was reading some stuff on Jessica's web site and this stood out as something all young people should give a lot of thought to:

"Attitude: Always make the best of everything, Positive, ask questions, lots of questions."

So many youngsters feel they have the answers already and don't need to ask the questions.

Re: Jessica - 03/19/10 03:32 PM

A summary, noting that the 14-year-old intends to try.

Who can help but love material like this:
Quote:
This week Jessica Watson is at 35 South, about 18,000 nautical miles and 5 months into her journey. She is hoping to reach Sydney by the middle of May, sailing her S&S 34, also a solid, if slow, cruising yacht, which was also chosen by Jesse Martin in his successful non-stop circumnavigation. In her most recent gale she had 15-foot seas and 40 knots of wind. With her feet above her head to wedge herself into her bunk, Jessica was alternating between typing her blog, and studying for her learners' driving exam when she arrives home.

What? she wants to be allowed to drive?

Re: Jessica - 03/19/10 04:30 PM

Amazing!!!

Re: Jessica - 03/19/10 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: AlanK

What? she wants to be allowed to drive?

For better or for worse, when she turns up in Sydney, she'll have so many endorsement opportunities that she may very well earn more than you or I in a lifetime.

So she hires a car & driver.

Re: Jessica - 03/19/10 07:54 PM

My sense is that when she arrives in Sydney, it will probably be a media frenzy -- quite an adjustment for her after being at sea for so many months.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 03/21/10 07:15 AM

The big Jules Vern tri crossed the finish line for a new record, beating the former by 2 days & 8 hours.

Re: Jessica - 03/22/10 07:05 PM

Abby was knocked over while she was asleep. Wondered why she had dishes in her lap and was sitting on the cabin wall.

Jessica is enduring a different kind of tragedy.

Re: Jessica - 03/22/10 09:40 PM

Oh NO!!! No more lollies???!!! How can she survive?

...she uses "fortnight" a lot. Can someone refresh my sorry memory as to what it is?
Posted by: Bee

Re: Jessica - 03/22/10 10:03 PM

Fortnight: Two weeks; you will hear this term in any country that has its roots in colonial english.

B

Re: Jessica - 03/22/10 10:09 PM

fortnight is 14 days or two weeks.

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 04:38 AM

Jessica travels about a hundred miles a day, so her speed is 11,200 furlongs per fortnight.
Posted by: Bulldog34

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 05:09 AM

For what it's worth, it's a shortening of the Old English for "fourteen nights". More ammunition to win big in Trivial Pursuit.

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 07:53 AM

Who needs school when we have this MB?? It's a virtual academic potpourri here! smile

Speaking of Jessica, a friend of mine who is also following her adventure online commented to me recently that "she'll never have to work another day of her life if she doesn't want to, with the book and movie deals." Probably true.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 08:54 AM

> "fourteen nights"

THANKS Bulldog! Now that is something that will finally stick in my brain. I just couldn't find any connection between fortnight and 2 weeks.

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 09:35 AM

Apparently the Old(e) English spelling for 14 was something like "fortene", so it made sense to them at the time. Guess they needed a handle for a time frame between a week and a month - "bi-monthly" probably didn't fly back then.

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Apparently the Old(e) English spelling for 14 was something like "fortene", so it made sense to them at the time. Guess they needed a handle for a time frame between a week and a month - "bi-monthly" probably didn't fly back then.

Neither did "semi-monthly." smile

Originally Posted By: Bee
Fortnight: Two weeks; you will hear this term in any country that has its roots in colonial english.
B

Yeah, around here you'd get the colonial Spanish version.

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 10:44 AM

bi-monthly -- twice a month.

So I have seen bi- used to mean "every other" and also twice with in the period. Google "biweekly definition" and see what turns up. How can one tell the difference???? confused cry

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 11:20 AM

I was taught that "bimonthly" means every two months and "semimonthly" means twice per month. However, the Miriam Webster site gives two definitions for "bimonthly:
Quote:
1 : occurring every two months
2 : occurring twice a month : semimonthly

On the same site, you can find "biannual" meaning "semiannual" and the opposite of "biennial."
We have a screwy language.

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 11:34 AM

Well, working off of a word that is probably more well known -- "semi-annually" -- which means twice a year, it would seem to indicate that semi-monthly would mean twice a month, and bi-monthly would then mean every other month. That's the way I learned it, too -- Miriam notwithstanding.

I also work for attorneys, and they must fulfill "x" number of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) hours per two-year period (known as a biennium). So since a biennium (or bi-annually) means every other year, ditto for bi-monthly -- every other month. As one other example, a bi-monthly newsletter is sent every other month.

And yes, we do have a screwy language -- ask any non-English speaking person who has had to learn our language.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By: AlanK
We have a screwy language.

American English is no longer a language with strict meaning in it's vocabulary - not that it ever really was, I suppose. It's more a collection of formal Queen's English at it's base, heavily blended with very broad colloquial terms, auxiliary slang, and contextual you-figure-it-outs, augmented nowdays with successively more techno-speak and ethnic spice. Plus, I've read that we have more compound words than any other language. I've also been told by several folks who speak numerous languages (between 5 and 9) that American English is by far the hardest Western language to master because of this lack of rigidity and its free-form style.

Anyone who watches the show NCIS sees this regularly with Ziva, the Israeli team member who can never get a colloquialism right.

In other words Alan, yeah we have a screwy language. For all intents and purposes, semi-annual and bi-annual are the same - only different . . .

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 09:03 PM

So you sailers help me out here.Sounds like a wave knocked Abby's boat over on its side.When that happens do these type of sail boats right themselves? What is the sinking danger? I imagine its has something to do with whether the keel stays in the water or does that matter?

Re: Jessica - 03/23/10 10:09 PM

Below applies to keelboats, only.

Yep, she apparently had a "knock down", where the mast touches the surface of the water, generally meaning that the boat was over 90 degrees. Virtually any modern keelboat will right itself from that position, barring severe structural damage. Most boats on such a voyage will experience such an action, and are built for it. Just from the knock down, there is virtually no sinking danger.

Much more problematic is if the boat turns "turtle", when the keel is sticking straight up, and the mast straight down. Unfortunately, there is a bit of stability in that position, and the boat can stay there. However, the action of waves will almost always push the boat out of that stability window, and the boat will right itself.

ASA 101, 103, 104, 105, 110 instuctor.

Re: Jessica - 03/24/10 08:50 AM

Thanks Ken. Wow so even if it "goes turtle" completely upsidedown it can right itself.Very unlike flying in that if you get into an unusual attitude you better make the right correction immediately or down you go.

Re: Jessica - 03/24/10 03:05 PM

Jessica had a bit of excitement.

Abby's rocking & rolling, and says...

"It seems from the blog comments that some of you don't realize that I do know Jesse Watson. She was in touch with my brother Zac last year on his circumnaviagtion (sic) and we have been in touch with email back and forth during the trip. My mom has also been in touch with Julie Watson, Jesse's mom. They are great people and a lot like our own family. Hopefully, we will be able to meet one day!"

Re: Jessica - 03/24/10 07:08 PM

Abby's making some good progress.

"Dad flew out today but won't be to Ushuaia until tomorrow night. Thanks to Julie Watson and their team, he has hooked up with the right people to get him out to say hello."

Re: Jessica - 03/31/10 04:52 PM

Abby becomes the youngest person to sail around Cape Horn alone.

Re: Jessica - 04/01/10 10:42 AM

Her route was quite interesting. If you look on her "where's Abby" map, and use the "satellite" setting, you'll see that she stayed far offshore, and off the continental shelf...meaning that she stayed in deep water. This should have had the effect of reducing the waves/swells, and particularly reducing the encounter of a Rogue Wave (Palin wave?)

Re: Jessica - 04/01/10 10:46 AM

Quote:
Rogue Wave (Palin wave?)

Good one, Ken.

Re: Jessica - 04/01/10 10:56 AM

Months ago, when the book came out, CNN reported it as "Going Rouge" I corrected them.

Re: Jessica - 04/02/10 03:40 PM

I'm a bit behind on posting...

Both girls had periods of drifting around & fixing machinery.

Jessica's making progress. So, if you want a peek at her washing or a sunset picture...

Abby has a LA Times mention today. Can you spot the factual error?

Great posting from Team Abby yesterday.

Her dad is in the area - to date he has not been able to get out to see her.

Remember Jessica being knocked down & turning turtle?
Abby's moving into that area soon.

Re: Jessica - 04/13/10 05:29 PM

So much as happened...

Jessica got a mention in the Sydney Morning Herald

She entered Australian waters over the weekend, and sailed through a lightning storm. She saw the 'rents as they flew overhead.

Abby is seeing some nice weather in the Indian Ocean. Broke a wind turbine generator, though.

Solo sailing is not without it's dangers. Another solo sailor apparently went missing in that area at about the same time.

Re: Jessica - 04/13/10 08:03 PM

Abby's mom just posted. We have a tired girl.

Re: Jessica - 04/14/10 07:30 PM

Jessica has encountered strong winds and torn a sail.

Re: Jessica - 04/15/10 06:00 AM

I have always admired the adventurer and their amazing drive to push the envelope in their endevors. Zac,Abby,and Jessica all have my Walter Mitty jealosy for attempting those adventures I can only dream about.
I still scratch my head wondering what parents would not only allow their 16 year olds to attempt but actually enable their children to do seriously dangerous and ridiculously expensive pursuits.

Re: Jessica - 04/15/10 06:24 AM

Quote:
wondering what parents would not only allow their 16 year olds to attempt but actually enable their children to do seriously dangerous and ridiculously expensive pursuits.

Probably parents that have raised their kids well, know they have the maturity level of someone much older (we would have no qualms about a 21-year-old doing this), and probably families for whom this kind of expense is not such a big deal (and don't forget all the sponsors Jessica and others have).

CaT

Re: Jessica - 04/20/10 05:30 PM

Jessica's been at sea for 6 months now, has had light conditions - so she replaced one of her generators. She also found a moth on board 500 miles from land.

Abby also has light weather and is learning patience. Her Kindle died, though.

Re: Jessica - 04/22/10 11:07 AM

The latest on Jessica:

Jessica is facing more challenging conditions over the next week of her around the world voyage, with large swells and gale force winds predicted.

Having been on the receiving end of 50-knot winds and monster seas off the West Australian coast, Jessica now has to confront more of the same as she approaches Tasmania.

But Jessica and her 34-foot boat Ella's Pink Lady, having now sailed over 21,000 nautical miles, are well prepared and now less than 1,700 nautical miles from Sydney.

Despite the forecast, Jessica remains positive.

"The forecast is not ideal, but we just have to take it one day at a time," said Jessica.

Jessica remains on target to achieve her dream of becoming the youngest person to sail around the world and in time to meet her goal -- to arrive in Sydney before her 17th birthday on May 18.

Posted by: So.BayMark

Re: Jessica - 04/23/10 06:13 AM

And of course one for the ages, Saito has had a rough year out there but heading towards Japan...

Day 565 [April 20/10] -- A little party with King Neptune
Today's Report
April 20/10 0800 JST

00°10'N, 94°29'W (North Pacific Ocean, Equator)

The traditional sake toast was raised on board the Nicole BMW Shuten-dohji III in late afternoon, as Saito-san crossed the exhilarating, if invisible, line that separates south from north, and symbolizes both the final miles back home and completion of slightly more than 70% of a voyage of impossibilities.

He had reached the place on the globe where "the wrong way around" was now the right way, as the currents, winds, and waves would no longer conspire against him. He'd left behind the portion where, along much of the way, he had bashed against contrary waves and virtually unrelenting headwinds. Even the skies were clear, and the temperatures warm and soothing. (Meanwhile, back in Punta Arenas, where he spent a long, now-returning winter, on this day it was just a few degrees above freezing.)

The crossing into the North Pacific also marked his 565th day of the circumnavigation, his 20,400th mile, and his 27,862nd day on Earth. That's 76 years, 3 months, and 13 days.

"I'm really happy," he crowed to us this morning. "It's great!" He has lost count of the number of times he's crossed the Equator on solo voyages, but it would have to be at least twice for each of his eight circumnavigations, plus a number more during long ocean passages.

The Equator has, since the earliest voyaging days, been a point that invokes the loud cheers of crews either just beginning -- or no doubt, even more poignant -- just finishing, extended voyages. On the way out, shipmates subject novice "pollywogs" to various, sometimes brutal, rituals that invariably would include a seawater dunking of those on their first time across. In British sailing ships an extra measure of grog was the order of the day. And of course in the celebratory cup of present-day Japanese sailors, you'll find rice wine.

King Neptune got a splash as well yesterday to keep him happy.

http://saito8.blogspot.com/

Re: Jessica - 04/23/10 07:53 PM

Jessica has sailed past Western Australia and is now in South Australian waters. Took her a week to sail past WA, but WA is about three times the size of Texas.

Abby is still having autopilot woes. I wondered why she didn't have a wind-powered auto-pilot like Jessica, she (Abby), posted that apparently her boat is not suitable for wind-powered autos. Still, her trouble-shooting skills are exceptional, for a man, woman or child.

Quote from a comment:

"Years ago I installed a Morse hydraulic steering in a boat for a long cruise. I inquired about what types of fluids would work in an emergency. I was told, to my amazement, that in an emergency salt water could be used."

So long as Abby doesn't run out of salt water she should be OK.

Re: Jessica - 04/23/10 08:26 PM

Yeah, I think there's plenty of salt water available... shocked

Re: Jessica - 04/23/10 08:42 PM

This just in...

Re: Jessica - 04/24/10 06:14 AM

Jessica just posted. She's had another knockdown!

Knockdown, Huge Seas and a Buzz from Customs.

Looking at her picture - she really looks a lot more mature than when she started out.

Re: Jessica - 04/24/10 07:30 AM

All I can say is those girls have amazing fortitude and sheer will power to handle all the forces of nature on the open sea and problems with their vessels.I would be crying "mommy" come get me.

Re: Jessica - 04/24/10 02:45 PM

Abby has news!

Because of the partial failure of her automatic pilot, she will pull into Cape Town for repairs. She intends to continue.

Re: Jessica - 04/25/10 08:33 AM

WAGGA I assume you have already signed up for a couple of copies of the book: Jessica Watson - True Spirit.

Just read on her NEWS site that the book will be coming out this fall and they show the cover, very cute pic of the young lady.

Re: Jessica - 04/25/10 05:05 PM

I expect I will. I did score an autographed copy of the Daily Coyote from Shreve.

Re: Jessica - 04/25/10 05:12 PM

There is a lot of MSM attention on Abby.

Here and here and here.

And the LA Times version, too.

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 01:35 PM

Just noticed on the map of eastern Australia that's there's a town/city not far west of Canberra that's named -- are you ready for this? ... Wagga Wagga!

CaT

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 01:55 PM

No back water town either.

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 03:22 PM

Just noticed on the map of eastern Australia that's there's a town/city not far west of Canberra that's named -- are you ready for this? ... Wagga Wagga!

CaT

Now... try to guess where wagga hails from. wink

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 04:57 PM

This is from a Column 8 thread in the Sydney Morning Herald...

April 15, 2010
Patrick St George, of Narrandera, notes the existence of Wagga Wagga, Woop Woop and Woy Woy, and asks: ''Why is it that it sounds OK to say that you are going to Wagga, but you would never say you are going to Woop or Woy?''

April 16, 2010
We have to hand a theory regarding the Wagga, Woy and Woop question of yesterday, courtesy of Christopher Woods, of Mount Victoria: ''It's long been apparent (to me, anyway) that a place with a double name, where each name is a double syllable, is usually shortened to just one, eg, Wagga, Kurri, Tilba. A place where each name is only one syllable isn't, eg, Woy, Bong, Curl etc. I counted 54 in an old postcode book, 28 doubles and 26 singles. I haven't been to all of them, so this theory is yet to be fully tested. Are there readers in Wool Wool and Banka Banka who can confirm this?''

April 19, 2010
''Christopher Woods's theory on double-syllable, double-worded place names seems sound, until you get to Goonoo Goonoo,'' opines Kevin Lamond, of Windsor (Column 8, Friday). ''The pronunciation I've heard used most often is Goona Ganoo, so saying the first without the second not only doesn't work, it also spoils the wonderful rhythm of the words.''

April 20, 2010
''Your Monday item from Kevin Lamond offers an incorrect pronunciation of Goonoo Goonoo,'' we are informed by Neil Ronald, of Newtown. ''The locals call it 'Gunna Gunoo', or just Gunna, as in, 'I'm gunna pronounce it any way I like'.''

April 21, 2010
The pronunciation of Goonoo Goonoo is not, as claimed by Neil Ronald yesterday, ''Gunna Gunoo'', but ''Gunny Gunoo''. We have had shearers and stockmen and publicans from all over the state swearing that this is the case, and we're not going to argue with them.

Walla Walla, Washington: The exception that proves the rule?

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 05:10 PM

This from Column 8, in Steve C's honour. Or perhaps it's a goal-setting thing.

We did it! We've found the 18th-century grandad. Well, we didn't do much, but the ancestors of Theo Boehm certainly did. Over to Theo: ''My grandfather, Johann Georg Boehm, was born in Muschten in the province of Brandenburg , Prussia, on February 29, 1796. In 1838 with a wife and six children he migrated to Australia in a ship called the Zebra, settling in South Australia. When his wife died, he remarried and had a further six children, the youngest of whom was my father, born in 1896 (an original Anzac at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915). I was born in 1922 and am now not only a grand-, but a great-grandfather. I trust that this meets the object of your search.'' Meets the object of our search? Not half it doesn't - this is heroic stuff! Especially fathering a child at that age!

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 05:51 PM

You may have noticed that Jessica mentioned ANZAC day.

I'm perhaps the only Oz on this board, so here's an explanation.

ANZAC is an acronym for Australian New Zealand Army Corps.

On April 25, 1915, they were tasked with landing at Gallipoli.

This was a cynical move by the British to divert attention from a Pommy attack on another site.

So the military failure, unlike any other nation pair, has become the most significant national celebration.

There are no more Gallipoli veterans, and a very few WWII veterans. My Dad (RAN) passed away several years ago.

If you scroll down a page or two, on the left-hand side there is a pic of the ANZAC parade in Wagga.

"One of the traditions of Anzac Day is the 'gunfire breakfast' (coffee with rum added) which occurs shortly after many dawn ceremonies, and recalls the 'breakfast' taken by many soldiers before facing battle."

There is a huge groundswell of participation by the younger generation of Australians & New Zealanders - this is widely recognized as a generational statement of the futility of war.

Oh, yeah, they play 2-up, footy & get drunk.

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 06:06 PM

This just in from Abby.

Sounds like the auto-pilot is like Windows - just reboot when it breaks.

I've offered to send a hairbrush with a hole drilled in the handle so that it can be tethered. She really should get a kitty. On second thoughts, they have really big kitties in Africa India.

"It looks like a few people think that I am ending my trip in Cape Town. Just in case I didn't make it clear enough in the last blog, I am not ending my trip!!! I am ending my non-stop and unassisted attempt. I will continue on to hopefully become the youngest solo circumnavigator. Jesse Watson will become the youngest solo, non-stop and unassisted circumnavigator. The way I see it is that we both win which is great because neither of us liked being in 'competition' with each other. Go Jesse!"

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 07:57 PM

Off topic guys.

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 08:23 PM

Those posts were pretty much on-topic. This, however is off-topic.

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 10:37 PM

I can't help but think.......her record was, it turned out, totally dependent upon an electronic device. It was backed up, but both failed, one almost immediately, the other gradually. In her blog, she talks about how "foolish and irresponsible" to hand steer the boat.

Actually, that is how it was originally done.

It shows, I suppose, how "dumbed down" the whole thing has become. It hardly seems like any of the original elements remain, from communications, to weather forecasts, to navigation.

Somehow, the whole thing saddens me.

Re: Jessica - 04/26/10 11:23 PM

> It shows, I suppose, how "dumbed down" the whole thing has become. It hardly seems like any of the original elements remain, from communications, to weather forecasts, to navigation.

On the other hand, she'd never have come through alive without all that hi-tech gear and support! She's just the first to put it all together and go do it. In ten or twenty years, her feat will be small compared to whatever is new at that time.

It's pretty funny to read a paragraph from wagga's link:
I was on the phone with several of the guys on my team and we decided to try one last thing. I restarted the system, which is almost impossible when it's rough out - you have to put the tiller first to starboard, set that limit, then to port and then center it. The tough part is that to do this, you have to set it on the auto pilot display which is down below at my chart desk. By the time you've gotten down below the tiller is pretty much never in the right place. I have strings tied to the tiller and running around the poles on my dodger through the two little windows right down to my chart desk. I remember the first few times I had tried to restart the pilot without the strings set up, running back and forth millions of times and never getting it quite right. Anyway, this time after I did the restart and got things set up it worked!

Here she is, out in the middle of nowhere, but able to communicate with an entire crew of helping hands. Amazing! Sure it's high tech. But it's fun to read along as it unfolds.

Re: Jessica - 04/27/10 07:43 AM

Quote:
You may have noticed that Jessica mentioned ANZAC day.

Yup, I noticed it, and immediately Googled it, and ended up reading pretty much the entire Wiki article on it.

So OK, wagga ... are you originally from Australia? Didn't know that, if you are.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 04/27/10 08:54 AM

> So OK, wagga ... are you originally from Australia?

Dude's been here for 30 years or so, but he refuses to ditch the accent from Oz.

Re: Jessica - 04/27/10 02:25 PM

Oz?

Re: Jessica - 04/27/10 03:03 PM

Oz, as in Oztralia. smile

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Etymology

Pronounced [əˈstɹ

Re: Jessica - 04/28/10 06:09 AM

Some fresh new Abbica news...

Stalling and Over again

Jessica was tipped again, a bottle of detergent broke open so the cabin (and computer) is really clean.

"I was sorry to hear about Abby having to pull in to Cape Town for repairs. But like Abby said so well in her blog the other day, in one way it's great that we're now aiming for slightly different records, so that we don't have to be competing with each other. I'm also totally jealous that she's probably going to beat me to a hot shower!"

Jessica is hanging around (in the washing machine!) until the weather will be better for sailing around under Tasmania.

A mention in the Sydney Morning Herald.

Nice and Sunny.

Followers have been sending nasty email to her auto-pilot's manufacturer.

"I have to just ask that people please not send nasty emails to Coursemaster. They have received a few very rude emails and I just would like to make it clear that Coursemaster has been extremely helpfull"

I noticed this:

Day 94 (4/26/2010) - About 1,486 miles Southwest of Cape Town, South Africa

Day 95 (4/27/2010) - About 1,150 miles Southwest of Cape Town, South Africa

That's more than 300 miles.

Re: Jessica - 04/29/10 05:24 AM

Jessica is Taking It As It Comes.

"The bad news is that there's MORE rubbish weather headed our way. After looking at the weather charts showing this new low pressure system expected over the weekend, I'll admit I had to dig real deep to stay cool about it all. Right now I've got more than a few bruises and sore muscles. Overall I feel pretty drained and would kill for some easy sailing but seeing as that's not what I'm going to get I'm just going to have to toughen up some more and deal with it!"

Re: Jessica - 04/30/10 05:28 AM

Here's a summary of Jessica's voyage to date, with pics & video. Click on the flyover at WA to see how small Ella's Pink Lady is on the ocean.

Re: Jessica - 04/30/10 09:01 AM

From tomorrow's Sydney Morning Herald.

"After surviving 120km/h winds, multiple knock-downs, six months alone at sea and even a collision with a freighter on a test run, Jessica is back in Australian waters, although wild conditions off Tasmania this week whipped up frightening 10-metre waves and forced her into a holding pattern near Bass Strait."

"On land, her progress has been equally remarkable. Last month, her agent signed a deal with News Corporation valued at $700,000, far in excess of what most celebrities get paid for their stories."

Re: Jessica - 04/30/10 11:10 PM

Why I opposed competitive extreme sports:
======================

Zion National Park (UT)
Two Rafters Drown In Virgin River

On Sunday, April 25th, rangers received a report of an overdue party from a float trip down though the Virgin River Narrows. Investigation revealed that two 23-year-old men from Las Vegas had hiked into the Narrows with the intent of constructing a log raft and floating approximately 50 miles through the Narrows to Hurricane, Utah. The men were not equipped with wetsuits or PFDs, did not have whitewater rafting experience, and had limited camping experience, little food and no overnight gear. They told their father that they intended to record their entire trip on video camera as an entry into the "Man vs. Wild" competition. The SAR operation concluded on April 26th when both bodies and a small amount of personal gear were recovered from the river. [Submitted by Cindy Purcell, Chief Ranger]

Re: Jessica - 05/01/10 05:57 AM

More Abbica news.

Jessica posted a pic of a BIG swell.

"Pic: From the big swell during the week, with the drogue trailing behind Ella's Pink Lady, shaking off one wave with the next 10m monster coming up behind."

Abby is heading in.

"I should get to Cape Town Tuesday or Wednesday all being well and we should be able to finish the repairs in no more then a week."

Re: Jessica - 05/02/10 02:05 PM

Latest on the Abbica front.

Abby has been out for 100 days now.

She's starting to sound like a solipsist - on the other hand she wrote:

"After all, it is a little bit of a waste to sail the world yet not actually get to see any of it."

Re: Jessica - 05/02/10 05:05 PM

Jessica has rounded The Last Cape.

"It's been pretty breezy for the last few days, but gusted to not much more than 40 knots last night. The wind is sitting on about 25 knots at the moment and the swells are starting to die off as we pass into the lee of Tasmania."

A 16 year-old girl acting pretty blase about 40 knots!

Here is the map.

She's got just one Sydney-Hobart race race to run (backwards).

Re: Jessica - 05/03/10 06:35 PM

Some Jessica news from tomorrow via the Sydney Morning Herald.

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 03:50 AM

Jessica's on the home stretch, should be entering Bass Strait today.

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 08:23 AM

Actually, passing by Bass Strait east of it, since she didn't actually go through it.

I hope she's enjoying to the hilt these final days of her adventure. Her life is about to change, once she finishes this.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 08:37 AM

Deliberate phrasing, to see if anyone is paying attention. There will be a quiz at the end.

How can she top this? Perhaps the Megaburger double?

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 04:20 PM

Here is a new twist. Did she or didn't she do it?

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 05:15 PM

Oh my goodness! She'd better circumnavigate Australia or something or nobody will recognize her feet. smirk

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 06:08 PM

They will recognize her feet.They are unique and belong to her. They won't recognize her feat though. Am I starting to sound like wagga?

Re: Jessica - 05/04/10 07:14 PM

Any discussion of Jessica's feet after 7 months at sea is in poor odor.

Re: Jessica - 05/05/10 04:01 AM

Abby's getting close to Cape Town. Busy with possible shipping, so her Mom posted for her.

Re: Jessica - 05/05/10 07:00 AM

Here is a new twist. Did she or didn't she do it?

And here's the formal response to that.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 05/05/10 07:08 AM

NASA should shortly be issuing a statement that, since she didn't achieve an altitude of > 100 Km, she won't be awarded astronaut's wings.

Re: Jessica - 05/05/10 08:57 AM

Oh my goodness! She'd better circumnavigate Australia or something or nobody will recognize her feat. smirk

Hey wait a minute!!! I spelled that feEt on porpoise!

I'll grant her astronaut's wings to wear on her feet any day. grin

Re: Jessica - 05/05/10 01:47 PM

Abby's landed in Cape Town. Note: the URL for this specific post is broken.

Re: Jessica - 05/05/10 06:07 PM

Here are the landing plans.

I've been in touch with Janet Glover regarding internet video streaming. She will get back to us. Remember, though, 11:30 am. Saturday is around 6:30 pm. Friday here (PDT). Or something like that.

Also, after nearly a year, the fracking lawyers have gotten on her case over the name Ella's Pink Lady.

During my University days, there was a cement truck company who's enormous trucks were all painted shocking pink - with "THINK PINK" emblazoned on the bumpers. That was before I had a dirty mind...

Re: Jessica - 05/06/10 04:32 AM

Jessica puts in her two-bob's worth on record-making.

Link on Abby's blog is fixed - she's posted arrival photos.

Re: Jessica - 05/06/10 08:07 AM

OK Wagga as someone who has followed your countrywoman's
progress from day 1, why don't you invite her to broaden
her life experience and have her come and join you in a Mt
Whitney climb? She could stop off during her USA book tour!

Of course once Laura meets her that would mean an around the
world sail in the future for our favorite adventurer from
Bishop. How are your sea legs Laura?

Re: Jessica - 05/06/10 11:24 AM

Good idea. I have a contact email for her publicist.

In the meantime, Abby has posted more photos and also a video.

Everybody in the video speaks English! Sort of...

Re: Jessica - 05/07/10 08:47 PM

Jessica has had over a thousand comments on her last post.

Ms. Abby can walk in a straight line now. But waking up in a hotel room lots of times to check your course...

Rod, you've met Zack - in the photos he towers over his sister - is she really a such a shorty?

Re: Jessica - 05/08/10 06:09 AM

My previous post about Jessica's arrival time was rife with errors.

Arrival is Saturday 11:30 Australian time, not Sunday.
Whitney Zone time will be around 6:30pm on Friday.

If you look at the map, it seems she'll have to sail in circles to delay her arrival.

Jessica's having engine (and dunny) problems on ELP. She's also eaten all the best food. She's warmer, though, 20 degrees (68F). Post is here.

Abby is having a great time in Cape Town.

Re: Jessica - 05/08/10 08:08 AM

Actually I only met Zack's dad Laurence.Can't remember if he was South African or Australian but he sure talked funny. Zack did a no show when he was supposed to meet with us.Something about he would rather be on the Today Show than meet with us at Hops.

Re: Jessica - 05/10/10 10:25 AM

Quote:
it seems she'll have to sail in circles to delay her arrival.

Maybe the extra mileage will get her the "official" record. wink j/k

Re: Jessica - 05/10/10 11:03 AM

Jessica's got A Working Engine!

"The little Yanmar engine is going again! A little delicately, but it is running with a water transfer pump rigged up in place of the fuel pump which had stopped working. It's pretty dodgey with all the miss matching hoses but should do the job. Apart from the kick I got from actually managing to fix something, it was quite a relief as we've pretty much had no wind at all the last two days, so the batteries were lower than I'd thought."

I wonder if the water pump came off the dunny?

Re: Jessica - 05/10/10 11:11 AM

Abby just posted photos from Cape Town.

The Saffies are probably glum, 'cos they just got tossed out of the World Cup.

Re: Jessica - 05/13/10 05:30 AM

Jessica waxes philosophically about her homecoming in So Close and What I'm Going To Miss And there is a great photo, too.

The NSW Minister for Ports & whatnot has a lech for Jessica - Simpson!

Re: Jessica - 05/13/10 12:22 PM

Abby's boat Wild Eyes has been tipped over!.

Re: Jessica - 05/14/10 04:13 AM

Sydney prepares for Jessica.

Some MSM stories from the last few days:

Here and here and here plus this.

Re: Jessica - 05/14/10 03:47 PM

I have been in touch with the event organizers, hoping for a live video link to post here.

"For all the international fans, we will endeavour to post vision and quotes from Jessica's arrival as soon as possible. But please be patient with us, as all the shore team will be out greeting Jessica in what is shaping as a monumental day."

Vision(Oz) equals video(USA).

Re: Jessica - 05/14/10 11:01 PM

My wife found a live streaming feed from Nine News in Australia, and none too soon. So I got to watch Jessica come in from an hour or two outside the "Heads" as the entrance to Sydney Harbor's headways is called, and then gradually make her way up to the dock next to the Sydney Opera House, followed by a very close-up camera shot of her first meeting with her parents and family and supporters, and then the big welcome home ceremony with the Prime Minister and the local provincial Premier all in attendance, among others. As she was walking toward the stage (and walking fairly well for someone who had just been at sea for 7 months), an older gentleman handed her an exact model replica of her sailboat with the sails unfurled, mounted on a very nice base, the whole thing looking like it was a good 12" or more tall. I thought that was an incredible gift from a total stranger. It was obvious throughout this entire time -- from the finish line to the end of the welcome home ceremony -- that she was, to say the least, very overwhelmed. All the attention and good wishes were very well deserved. There was an absolute flotilla of boats surrounding her as she made her way through Sydney Harbor. The zoomed-out view of all those boats making their way down the harbor, as shot from the helicopter overhead, was breathtaking. Two of the young men who previously did the same circumnavigation before Jessica, got to board her boat early on after the finish line and then ride with her the rest of the way through Sydney Harbor. Actually, one of them steered the boat which was now being powered by the engine once the sails were lowered, so she could enjoy the rest of the trip in from the finish line without having to drive the boat, which also allowed her to get herself somewhat cleaned up to meet the Prime Minister and everyone else. This was truly an amazing and historical thing to watch from start to finish! The only other thing I remember staying up all night to watch was the entirety of Princess Diana's funeral and service and drive back to where she was laid to rest in early September 1997. The historical significance of both that and this event (though starkly different in tone), felt similar to me in their historical significance, each in their own way, and in their emotional impact, also each in their own way. Jessica has inspired so very many people, and she has truly made Australia proud, and rightfully so.

I'm going to really miss checking in on her blog and voyage map every day as I have been doing ever since wagga first began this thread. Wagga ... thanks!

CaT

Re: Jessica - 05/15/10 12:11 AM

Thanks, CaT. Would have been good to watch.

All right, somebody post some links to the Oz-News where I can see some of this!!!

Re: Jessica - 05/15/10 03:24 AM

Here's the Jessica's blog and the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald.

Thank you for the kind words, CaT, don't forget Abby's only half way.

Re: Jessica - 05/15/10 04:31 PM

Wagga. I'm reminded of a song I believe that was from WW I.

"Australia Will Be There". It is unfortunate that with all

your interest in Jessica's round the world trip that you

couldn't be there at the finish to see history being made.

Re: Jessica - 05/15/10 08:27 PM

Yesterday was quite an emotional roller-coaster for me.

First off, the Oz team in the T20 World Cup were so far behind Pakistan that I pretty much gave up on them. Then this happened! Tomorrow it's Oz vs the Poms. That's 8:30 WZT, so don't bother me. Ask me & I'll expound on crickies being much more exciting than baseball.

Then Atlantis left the planet like a homesick angel. I was present for the first & second Shuttle landings (Oh! that sonic boom!), and have missed few televised Shuttle events. Worst case, if the Shuttle program had only supported the Hubble 'scope, it would have been worth the cost, but it did much much more than that. You do know that there are only 2-3 launches left, right?.

Then Jess came home. Kept the Prime Minister of Australia waiting for hours.

I'm in awe & shock of our two nations, "separated by a common language". (GBS).

Re: Jessica - 05/15/10 08:46 PM

Jessica's trip is pure Aussie.

Re: Jessica - 05/16/10 04:31 PM

Abby just posted:
Congrats Jesse and Still Working!

Re: Jessica - 05/17/10 04:09 PM

Abby posted a video of sea trials to check out Wild Eyes. That place has a Table Mountain too!

Jessica is home safely, so shall we continue our Jessigail thread with Abby?

Perhaps it will end up with our members inviting both girls to summit Whitney with us...

Re: Jessica - 05/17/10 10:05 PM

> Perhaps it will end up with our members inviting both girls to summit Whitney with us...

Now THAT would be a remarkable hike.

Re: Jessica - 05/18/10 07:37 AM

Steve the perfect chaparone for those two young ladies, since
we tend to be sort of a motley crew, would be our uniformed
Ranger, Bob R. Bob always seems to attract the pretty women
even before the uniform. Wagga could be his backup & translate for the oz lady.

Re: Jessica - 05/18/10 07:39 AM

From Column 8:

"I would have thought that Jessica Watson's passport would be something of a collector's item,'' writes James Shipstone, of Berowra Heights. ''Apart from the obvious association with the young adventurer, what other passport would have exit and re-entry stamps, 210 days apart, with the owner apparently having been nowhere?"

Re: Jessica - 05/18/10 07:41 AM

Moose for leader!

Re: Jessica - 05/18/10 11:19 AM

More Jessica news and a picture.
A very different picture !

Re: Jessica - 05/19/10 02:53 PM

Abby finally posted the photo from top of the mast.

Departure date is now set for Thursday.

Re: Jessica - 05/20/10 10:36 AM

Abby has posted some more photos. Planning to leave CT tomorrow.

Re: Jessica - 05/21/10 11:10 AM

Here's a wrap up on the girl sailors.
Abby is back at sea.

Re: Jessica - 05/21/10 03:53 PM

Abby's posted from offshore.

Re: Jessica - 05/22/10 06:48 AM

Jessica has posted back on land.

The quiz is nearly ready. Do you want the answers on the same post, or wait a day or so?

Re: Jessica - 05/23/10 10:34 AM

Also posted on the Romero /Everest thread:

Some comments in the Christian Science Monitor.

Re: Jessica - 05/23/10 03:26 PM

Abby's passed her second Cape, and is well out to sea.

Re: Jessica - 05/23/10 06:53 PM

I promised you a quiz.

There might be several trick questions. For our ultra-intelligent board members, A) is not one of them. Maybe.
Score yourself out of 25. The extra question is a bonus.
I'm betting on CaT for the best score.
Post away, answers on Wednesday night.

The Prize: If you live on the beach, A lifetime supply of salt water.

The Quiz:

A) What is Jessica's first name?
B) How long is her S&S 34 boat?
C) Name one 'S' in S&S.
D) Jessica suffered about how many knock-downs?
E) What is the worst thing about a knock-down?
F) What is a 'dunny'?
G) Name the 4 Capes Jessica sailed around.
H) Jessica sailed a lot in the "Roaring Forties". She was also in the "??? Fifties"
I) From what official location did Jessica depart & return?
J) What brand of diesel motor did she use?
K) How did she jury-rig the motor when it failed?
L) Why did she need to run the motor?
M) When she returned, the steel solar panel frame was bent. What caused that?
N) Where did Jessica see the highest waves of the journey?
O) What is Jessica's auto-pilot's name?
P) How many fish did Jessica catch and eat?
Q) Name Jessicas favourite food item. Sara's & Abby's, too.
R) Other than Australia, she saw land only once during her trip. Where?
S) How many feet of rope did Jessica have aboard Ella's Pink Lady?
T) Did Jessica set an official record for the youngest solo/nonstop/unsupported circumnavigation?
U) How long did Jessica keep the Prime Minister of Australia waiting?
V) Why did Jessica need to be driven to her hotel after arriving in Sydney?
W) What did she profess to want most of all when she arrived?
X) Was this her boat's first circumnavigation?
Y) What color is Ella's Pink Lady now?
Z) What is the shortest possible global route that satisfies crossing the Equator twice, crossing all lines of longitude, & visiting an antipode?

Re: Jessica - 05/23/10 07:21 PM

wagga. Dude. You need to get away from the computer for a while.

Steve, Gary - take the waggameister out for a brew and a burger and let the poor guy decompress. I thought that when Jess made it into Syndney Harbo(u)r safe and sound, he would relax a bit. Ain't happenin' - instead, he found another gear. It's intervention time!

Re: Jessica - 05/23/10 07:39 PM

So, you have no answers? F-.

Re: Jessica - 05/24/10 04:34 AM

I'm guessing Jessica is her middle name, but my thought that her autopilot's name might be HAL 9000 is probably wrong. Can I pull that grade up to just an F if I say 4 knockdowns?

Re: Jessica - 05/24/10 06:02 AM

I'm guessing Jessica is her middle name, but my thought that her autopilot's name might be HAL 9000 is probably wrong. Can I pull that grade up to just an F if I say 4 knockdowns?

Abby's old A/P was HAL 9000. She pulled out it's brain, then got another one.

Re: Jessica - 05/24/10 01:17 PM

A) What is Jessica's first name? Jessica
B) How long is her S&S 34 boat? 34 feet (10.23 meters)
C) Name one 'S' in S&S. Sparkman
D) Jessica suffered about how many knock-downs? I kept hearing 7 (although I can only remember 6)
E) What is the worst thing about a knock-down? The inside of your boat gets trashed.
F) What is a 'dunny'? Toilet.
G) Name the 4 Capes Jessica sailed around. Good Hope; Horn; Leeuwin; South East.
H) Jessica sailed a lot in the "Roaring Forties". She was also in the "??? Fifties". Fearsome.
I) From what official location did Jessica depart & return? Sydney Harbour.
J) What brand of diesel motor did she use? Not a clue.
K) How did she jury-rig the motor when it failed? I thought the fuel pump failed, not the motor.
L) Why did she need to run the motor? To recharge her batteries and/or run her electronic communications equipment, primarily.
M) When she returned, the steel solar panel frame was bent. What caused that? Her third knock-down (which was a complete "turtle").
N) Where did Jessica see the highest waves of the journey? Not far into the Atlantic (during her 4 knock-downs -- see Question M).
O) What is Jessica's auto-pilot's name? Parker.
P) How many fish did Jessica catch and eat? One fish; one squid.
Q) Name Jessica's favorite food item. Sara's & Abby's, too. Chocolate.
R) Other than Australia, she saw land only once during her trip. Where? Cape of Good Hope.
S) How many feet of rope did Jessica have aboard Ella's Pink Lady? Not a clue.
T) Did Jessica set an official record for the youngest solo/nonstop/unsupported circumnavigation? No. [No comment...]
U) How long did Jessica keep the Prime Minister of Australia waiting? About 2 hours beyond the expected original time.
V) Why did Jessica need to be driven to her hotel after arriving in Sydney? It was too far away to walk.
W) What did she profess to want most of all when she arrived? A hot shower.
X) Was this her boat's first circumnavigation? No.
Y) What color is Ella's Pink Lady now? Still mostly pink, but with some added brown on its sides and underbelly from sea organisms growing there during the voyage).
Z) What is the shortest possible global route that satisfies crossing the Equator twice, crossing all lines of longitude, & visiting an antipode? 23,000 nautical miles -- Jessica's route.

Additional questions:

1) What one word did Jessica probably (over)use the most on all of her videos during her journey?
2) When Jessica docked her boat next to the Sydney Opera House, did (a) she climb off the boat and greet her parents, or (b) her parents pull her off the boat to greet her?
3) What is the name of Jessica's PR company?
4) When was Jessica's 17th birthday, and what color of dress did she wear for the occasion?
5) Did Jessica sail west or east of the Falkland Islands when she went by them?
6) How many days was Jessica at sea altogether?
7) How old was Jessica when she first began sailing?
8) How old was Jessica when she first got the idea to circumnavigate the globe?
9) When Jessica first began sailing at the age in Question 7, did she like sailing, or was she afraid of it?
10) Did Jessica contradict the Australian Prime Minister in front of the crowd at her homecoming?
11) Once Jessica crossed the finish line of her voyage, which two previous circumnavigators boarded her boat shortly therafter (not counting customs, obviously), and which one of those two drove the boat to the dock?
12) Reportedly, at the height of her triumphal entry into Sydney Harbour, before docking, how many boats turned out to escort her in?
13) During her homecoming, what did a complete stranger give her as she made her way from Ella's Pink Lady up to the welcome home ceremony (the answer is not flowers)?
14) Did Jessica ever cut her hair during the voyage?
15) What symbolical gesture did Jessica do to herself when she crossed the Equator into the Northern Hemisphere for the first time?
16) At what Cape did her parents circle her boat overhead in a small plane to see her and talk to her?
17) What kind of bird did Jessica say she would miss that occasionally kept her company along the way?
18) What are the first two words of the name of her upcoming book about her voyage?
19) For how much (in Australian dollars) are they selling limited edition, autographed sections of her mainsail?
20) Where did the name "Ella" (of Ella's Pink Lady) come from?
21) How long did Jessica keep NSW Premier Kenealley(sp?) waiting?
22) At what time (Pacific Daylight Time) did Jessica finally dock her boat on May 14 (again PDT)?

CaT

Re: Jessica - 05/24/10 02:11 PM

OK CaT, I'm thinking you might need a time-out as well . . .

Maybe someone in the know should put together a MooseTracksTrivia competition. That could get fun, I'm betting.

Re: Jessica - 05/25/10 05:11 AM

Maybe someone in the know should put together a MooseTracksTrivia competition. That could get fun, I'm betting.

MoosiePedia?

Re: Jessica - 05/27/10 12:15 AM

The Quiz:

A) What is Jessica's first name?
B) How long is her S&S 34 boat?
C) Name one 'S' in S&S.
D) Jessica suffered about how many knock-downs?
E) What is the worst thing about a knock-down?
F) What is a 'dunny'?
G) Name the 4 Capes Jessica sailed around.
H) Jessica sailed a lot in the "Roaring Forties". She was also in the "??? Fifties"
I) From what official location did Jessica depart & return?
J) What brand of diesel motor did she use?
K) How did she jury-rig the motor when it failed?
L) Why did she need to run the motor?
M) When she returned, the steel solar panel frame was bent. What caused that?
N) Where did Jessica see the highest waves of the journey?
O) What is Jessica's auto-pilot's name?
P) How many fish did Jessica catch and eat?
Q) Name Jessicas favourite food item. Sara's & Abby's, too.
R) Other than Australia, she saw land only once during her trip. Where?
S) How many feet of rope did Jessica have aboard Ella's Pink Lady?
T) Did Jessica set an official record for the youngest solo/nonstop/unsupported circumnavigation?
U) How long did Jessica keep the Prime Minister of Australia waiting?
V) Why did Jessica need to be driven to her hotel after arriving in Sydney?
W) What did she profess to want most of all when she arrived?
X) Was this her boat's first circumnavigation?
Y) What color is Ella's Pink Lady now?
Z) What is the shortest possible global route that satisfies crossing the Equator twice, crossing all lines of longitude, & visiting an antipode?

The Answers:

They previewed perfectly - but display wrongly UniCode issue.
Will fix.

A) ˙ɐɔıssǝɾ
B) ˙sɹǝʇǝɯ uǝʇ ɹo ʇǝǝɟ ɹnoɟ-ʎʇɹıɥʇ
C) ˙suǝʌǝʇs/uɐɯʞɹɐds
D) ˙xıs ɹo ǝʌıɟ
E) ˙

Re: Jessica - 05/28/10 01:29 PM

Abby's had some rather exciting times.

Re: Jessica - 06/01/10 06:37 PM

Jessica's back at sea.

She'll be back in home waters this next weekend.

Re: Jessica - 06/01/10 06:41 PM

Abby caught a fish (sort of).

She's also posted some photos from the Indian Ocean.

Re: Jessica - 06/02/10 08:59 AM

Jessica's on the way up the coast, has a busy and back on the water post up now.

Re: Jessica - 06/02/10 08:04 PM

Here is some MSM coverage of Abby's restart. Late, and maybe not so MSM.

Re: Jessica - 06/04/10 06:07 PM

Abby's drying out after her last big weather. This is short notice, but apparently she will be featured on ABC around 7 pm WZT today. (That's Whitney Zone Time).

Correction:

That would be 10 pm WZT, also features Romero (13 yo Everest Climber). I think.

Re: Jessica - 06/05/10 12:38 PM

Jessica should be arriving in Mooloolaba sometime this evening WZT.

Abby's got her heater working, which is helping with drying out.

Re: Jessica - 06/06/10 04:07 AM

Jessica's last post from the water.

Re: Jessica - 06/07/10 05:08 PM

Abby just posted from half-way across the Indian Ocean.

Re: Jessica - 06/09/10 04:07 PM

Abby's had a tough few days, big winds, tore her sail and the Internet has gone down again. She called her report in from her satphone.

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 11:19 AM

Emergency rescue effort is launched for teen sailor Abby Sunderland

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 11:29 AM

Oh hell, this isn't good. Hang tough Abby!
Posted by: SoCalGirl

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 12:50 PM

Oh wow... prayers being sent...

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 12:59 PM

Access to the main page of her website is either blocked or swamped.

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 01:02 PM

I was just on her blog a minute ago... but every news article out there (including on just picked up by CNN) is linked to it...

Her parents just posted an update on her blog:
"We were helping her troubleshoot her engine that she was trying to start to charge her systems. Satellite phone reception was patchy. She was able to get the water out of the engine and start her up. We were waiting to hear back from her when American Search & Rescue authorities called to report having received a signal from her emergency beacon (EPIRB). We initially thought that the signal was sent automatically from her water-activated EPIRB and that it had been activated during one of her knockdowns. As we pulled the paperwork from her EPIRB registration, we learned that the signal had come from her manually activated EPIRB.

We were referred to Australian Search & Rescue and while we were on the phone with them another signal came in from her handheld PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Her water-activated EPIRB has not been activated so we are hopeful that the boat is still upright. "

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 01:18 PM

People have survived for weeks in a life raft - with good emergency supplies. However, because the salt-water-activated EPIRB did not go off, it's probable she's still in the boat.

"Abby has all of the equipment on board to survive a crisis situation like this. She has a dry suit, survival suit, life raft, and ditch bag with emergency supplies. If she can keep warm and hang on, help will be there as soon as possible. Wild Eyes is designed for travel in the Southern Ocean and is equipped with 5 air-tight bulkheads to keep her buoyant in the event of major hull damage. It is built to Category 0 standards and is designed to self-right in the event of capsize."

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 01:52 PM

This is latest from the LA Times.

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 02:36 PM

This is not good. I've been following her blog daily, and the picture is one of a person with progressive fatigue, who is sometimes making poor decisions. For example, a day or two ago, she went to bed with the wind rising, without reefing her sails, a standard precaution. This happened apparently, because she hoped it would settle down. It didn't. She did this in the most problematic area on her trip. Bad decisions in this environment tend to "stack", creating much more dire situations. I'm not quite sure what would have made her trip her manual EPIRB, but not trigger her automatic. The problem is that all the electronics that were enlisted to compensate for her inexperience and lack of strength, are failing.

Let's hope she is ok, but time is critical, and a lot seems to have passed.

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 02:44 PM

Let's hope she is ok, but time is critical, and a lot seems to have passed.

Everything I've read says that the nearest waterbased support is 40 hours away (down to about... 28-30 now? It's been about 10 hours or so...)... and the family is having to actively search for air support teams because of the location where Abby triggered her message...

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 03:02 PM

This seems to be the most-frequently-updated news source.

Steve C are just about to leave for the webcam sortie, will be thinking about her, will post if we can.

Re: Jessica - 06/10/10 03:54 PM

They apparently are going to have a commercial aircraft fly over tomorrow and see if they can contact her via VHF radio. However, she was attempting to start her engine to recharge her batteries.....one wonders if she would have it on, if she is trying to conserve battery power.

Re: Jessica - 06/11/10 04:24 AM

She was contacted by the commercial aircraft, and is fine, although her rigging is down. A French ship is on its way to pick her up sometime in the next ~24 hours, from what I read on her website.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 06/11/10 06:53 AM

Outstanding!

We are out at the Holy City, installing the Webcam, and just got connected. Much anxiety.

Re: Jessica - 06/11/10 07:15 AM

A message posted on Jessica's blog.

Re: Jessica - 06/11/10 07:49 AM

Thank goodness for answered prayers!

Abby rescued - 06/12/10 03:47 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37656836?GT1=43001

Re: Abby rescued - 06/13/10 09:00 PM

Abby has posted again, this time from the French fishing vessel Ile-de-la-Reunion

"I have started writing. At first I decided that I wasn't going to write a book. But then I started to think about all the good times Wild Eyes and I have had together. All that's left of the voyage of Wild Eyes are my memories, eventually they will get fuzzy and I won't remember all the details. I don't want that to happen. Wild Eyes and my trip have been the best thing I have ever done or been through and I don't ever want to forget all the great times we have had together, or the bad ones for that matter."

"The story of Wild Eyes is over, but my story is still going. I'm still out on the ocean headed to a little island called Kerguelen and then will be on another boat for ten days up to an island near Madagascar. From there I will eventually make it home."

Check the last item under Popular Culture in the Kerguelen wiki! And yes, I've read some of the books.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/14/10 11:02 AM

Sunderland "reality" show preplanned before Abby's misadventure
13 June 2010

Sunderland "reality" show was preplanned before Abby's misadventure: Adventures in Sunderland (Reality TV Show) Distribution Rights: Magnetic Entertainment Exec Producer: Magnetic Entertainment "A family oriented Adventure show, based on the Sunderland Family of Thousand Oaks, CA. We follow the family in their day-to-day lives as shipbuilder Laurence Sunderland and mother/teacher Marianne try to balance work and family."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/sail_kid_parents_set_cour_for_tv_crGRuKCVBcBCM5v3s23ULK

I heard she was never even in the balloon, I mean boat.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/14/10 11:18 AM

Ken provides yet another dose of reality.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/14/10 06:27 PM

Long before Abby Sunderland set sail on her around-the-world attempt in January, Sunderland was approached by Magnetic Entertainment about the possibility of a reality show, he said. His wife, Marianne, was against it, he said, but they eventually agreed a show focusing on "inspiring kids doing inspirational things" was a story that needed to be told.

Sunderland's son, Zac, became the youngest person to sail around the world at age 17.

Magnetic did some initial filming but could not sell the show, said Sunderland, a shipbuilder. He also had a falling out with the partners over the angle they wanted to take, he said.

"They were assuming Abigail was going to die out there," he said. "They were relying on her dying, and so we cut the ties."

==============
Oh, after it's over, he cuts the ties.......

Re: Abby rescued - 06/14/10 07:20 PM

Nothing parents do with/to their kids - and I mean nothing - surprises me any longer. Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical about the overall quality of parenting nowdays - or lack thereof - but it seems that the entertainment industry is in perpetual collusion with Crappy Parents 'R Us to see who can be the most irresponsible with their children.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/14/10 10:46 PM

Actually the Sunderlands are really good people. I have met the dad and have patients who know them well in the sailing community. Abby posted that there is no reality show going forward. Laurence really loves his kids and has encouraged them to be adventurers. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Beats sitting around doing drugs drinking or watching TV. I wouldn't be too harsh on them. I hope someone gives them a million dollars to tell the kids stories. Real life adventures and not Hollywood reality crap.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/15/10 12:02 AM

It is really difficult to sort through all of the media interviews, releases, commentary...and possibly sour grapes due to deals gone south, so I have been pretty much ignoring it. However, I do have one question that has been nagging for a bit: Why did they push forward with the trip, even though the window was nearly closed for the "traditional" departure months for such a trip? (Nov-Dec)When addressed, the query is mostly waved off as "you can get bad weather at any time". This is true (as we see in our glorious mountains) however, logic would dictate that seasonal influences would definitely be against you, much like there being more of a chance of a thuderstorm in July than there would be in October, when one hikes Whitney.If the trip was for accomplishment, adventure, and self-reliance, would a nine-month delay matter that much? I can only conclude that perhaps prudence was set aside for a shot at the age record.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/15/10 06:50 AM

The official report from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau states that Jessica & the bulk carrier Silver Yang were equally responsible for their collision.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/15/10 11:35 AM

Team Abby has posted some answers to criticism.

Re: Abby rescued - 06/15/10 11:47 AM

Here is an interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald about extreme kids.

An 11-year-old bullfighter!

Re: Abby rescued - 06/15/10 03:26 PM

From Abby's blog (although signed by Abby, written by her mother):

"TOO FAR SOUTH AND TOO LATE IN THE YEAR

We have removed the previous comments here from Abby's meteorologist/router as the comments in it were from a personal email between us and not meant for public viewing. We apologize for the major inconvenience this has caused. Abby's parents take FULL responsibility for Abby's sailing strategy and in no way blame, nor should anyone else, the team that was behind her."

So apparently even her parents did not trust Abby's ability to create and execute a sailing strategy. Sort of like the coach who calls in the plays for the team on every down, because the quarterback doesn't know how.

Re: Jessica - 06/15/10 04:28 PM

Bad decisions in this environment tend to "stack", creating much more dire situations.

In hindsight, Ken, that was a good call.

For some reason she was unable to use a wind-powered autopilot, which ran up an energy deficit. That required nearly 2 weeks at Cabo for more batteries & fuel. Above a certain windspeed the hydraulic system went on standby & she needed to stay up & hand-steer. And then she hit the early Southern Winter. I don't know this, but she was probably down below desperately trying to get some juice for the system when the wave hit & everything came tumbling down.

Here is a picture of Abby leaving the fishing boat at the Kerguelen Islands.

Re: Jessica - 06/17/10 03:56 AM

Abby's blog has a family post signed:

Laurence & Marianne Sunderland.

"We will continue to update our blog with Abby's progress and in due course Abby will be available to tell her story."

Re: Jessica - 06/19/10 11:00 AM

Jessica's blog now has an entry (under Latest News) which is pretty much an advertisement for the book True Spirit.

Re: Jessica - 06/20/10 05:12 PM

New post on Abby's blog, she is expected on Reunion Island June 24-25th, will be on her way home soon after.

Re: Jessica - 06/21/10 05:38 AM

Time magazine chimes in the the adventure/age equation.
This article was sent to me. Written by a sailor, it has a different point of view.

Re: Jessica - 06/21/10 11:54 AM

The article by the sailor was excellent.

Re: Jessica - 06/22/10 09:18 AM

And here is a transcript from TALK OF THE NATION on NPR.

No mention of Jessica, though.

Re: Jessica - 06/22/10 03:02 PM

Jessica posted today that she's been busy writing her book & it's going to the printers next week.

School?. Do you think she's going to school?.

Re: Jessica - 06/23/10 08:09 AM

School?. Do you think she's going to school?.

Summer vacation... cool

Re: Jessica - 06/23/10 09:19 AM

Gotcha! Just lay out some bait & wait for a pounce...

Re: Jessica - 06/24/10 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: wagga, approx. May 16
* * * Then Jess came home. Kept the Prime Minister of Australia [Rudd] waiting for hours.

Well, it seems like Jessica completed her circumnavigation none too soon.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 06/24/10 02:23 PM

Yup, she has to deal with the style police. At least it's an equal-pay position.

Re: Jessica - 06/24/10 05:41 PM

Here are some new details about Abby's rescue.

Abby Sunderland rescue made possible by EPIRB.

Beacon credited with quick rescue of teen sailor Abby Sunderland.

I wondered how Abby was able to communicate with the Qantas airliner:

"Following the EPIRB and PLB beacon activations, Abby was able to communicate with the Qantas airliner utilizing the handheld VHF-FM radio from the emergency ditch bag."

Which means that even if Wild Eyes had sunk, she would have been able to communicate from the life raft. Remember, all of her other comm devices relied on mast-mounted antennas - no mast no mas.

Re: Jessica - 06/25/10 07:07 AM

Just in from AP news:

Brother braces to greet US teen sailor.

Re: Jessica - 06/25/10 09:17 AM

Abby to arrive at Reunion Island tonight, at 9 pm WZ time.

Re: Jessica - 06/27/10 06:06 PM

Abby's a step closer to home.

Re: Jessica - 06/29/10 06:36 AM

Abby is back in California.

Re: Jessica - 06/29/10 06:02 PM

Here is the LA Times take on the press conference today.

Another article describing the outfitting of Wild Eyes.

"Abby's sailboat, "Wild Eyes," which was floating in mid-ocean more than 700 miles from the nearest land as Abby's plane landed in California, continued to drift east with the current and wind, making about 24 nautical miles per day toward the coast of Australia, more than 2,000 miles away."

Re: Jessica - 06/30/10 10:24 AM

My response to the second article:

"Jane, you lay out a clear enumeration of the boats features, but you end with a flat statement of cause, without any reason to believe you know what you are talking about. Wild Eyes was, indeed, well outfitted and designed. The only thing missing was an EXPERIENCED and capable skipper. Abby was exhausted by the time of the dismasting, and was making a series of mistakes that an experienced sailor would not make (going to bed with sail aloft in a blow, "hoping" that the wind would go down--it went up, resulting in a knock-down). She didn't have the experience, knowledge, or most importantly, judgement, to deal with the situation. It was clearly thought that the redundant advanced communication would allow her to talk to people with the skills and knowledge to tell her what to do. As Abby has learned, many many people have attempted to substitute technology with skill in attacking nature. Some have been lucky, but most often, it fails, often tragically."
Posted by: JWolf24601

Re: Jessica - 06/30/10 12:27 PM

My response to the second article:

"Jane, you lay out a clear enumeration of the boats features, but you end with a flat statement of cause, without any reason to believe you know what you are talking about. Wild Eyes was, indeed, well outfitted and designed. The only thing missing was an EXPERIENCED and capable skipper. Abby was exhausted by the time of the dismasting, and was making a series of mistakes that an experienced sailor would not make (going to bed with sail aloft in a blow, "hoping" that the wind would go down--it went up, resulting in a knock-down). She didn't have the experience, knowledge, or most importantly, judgement, to deal with the situation. It was clearly thought that the redundant advanced communication would allow her to talk to people with the skills and knowledge to tell her what to do. As Abby has learned, many many people have attempted to substitute technology with skill in attacking nature. Some have been lucky, but most often, it fails, often tragically."

Harsh, but true.

Re: Jessica - 06/30/10 12:40 PM

A classic stack failure. As I recall, Jessica got beat up after COGH and veered Northward into calmer seas for a breather, to get some sleep, eat, etc. Was that her or her "crew" making that decision?

Re: Jessica - 06/30/10 05:02 PM

I suspect Abby's family was so motivated to get back the youngest record & also maybe for some $$ that they pushed too
hard for success.

Jessica on the other hand was more experienced, the entire voyage was planned better and executed alot better than team
Abby. She is lucky to be alive and had she died the family doesn't know how criticism now would compare to that situation.

Re: Jessica - 07/01/10 02:19 AM

Well, Jessica's earned her driver's licence. And the spelling is correct.

Off to the excitement of the PCT!

Re: Jessica - 07/01/10 08:28 AM

Is this thread really ending?

Before it fades out, I wanted to say that I really appreciate Ken's comments.

It seems like a whole lot of people have very strong opinions on this business. (I am referring mostly to people outside of this message board.) I claim no knowledge of sailing and have refrained from expressing strong opinions, but what Ken has said rings true for me. If nothing else, he makes sensible comments that seem to be entirely lacking in the media coverage.

Re: Jessica - 07/02/10 10:58 AM

Thanks, Alan!

You know, I'm not blind to the concept of adventure and pushing the envelope. In fact, quite supportive. Even in my sailing circles, there is great disparity in opinion on this subject, quite passionately held. I guess the line that gets crossed for me, is rooted in my experiences with families that have lost a child. There is nothing that compensates, it is a loss that never goes away. However, when what is involved is something avoidable, the guilt is unbelievable, at least among most people. I just can't fathom going into that water voluntarily.

Re: Jessica - 07/17/10 06:42 PM

Jessica's gone backpacking - I knew she was one of us.

She hiked about 30 miles with her brother on the Cooloola Great Walk.

The Picture:

In other news, Abby has met her new brother and has taken to the air.

Who amongst us would like to see my fantasy dream plan to have Jessica & Abby summit Whitney together?.

And Sir Richard Branson doing Jessica's voice-over for her doco! Wow!.

Re: Jessica - 07/17/10 07:59 PM

Here we go again? Deja Vu all over again as 14 yr old Dutch Girl Laura Dekker has received permission from her Mother to go solo around the world in an effort to become the youngest to sail the seas but not non stop. A court will meet on Tuesday to perhaps lift their ban on her trying to do this.

All this today from MSN.com . Jessica was exciting, Abby sort of so so.

Re: Jessica - 07/17/10 08:15 PM

wagga - Perhaps you should post a Whitney hike invitation to Jessica in response to her most recent blog post about backpacking -- see if she takes the bait. I would be surprised if she did, but stranger things have happened.

Re: Jessica - 07/17/10 09:05 PM

This thread has had more than a 1000 views since the last post.

Would not be surprised at all if J. & A. accepted the challenge.
and yes, we are working on it.

Re: Jessica - 07/19/10 07:11 AM

CLARIFICATION; Those sailing comments were strictly about Jessica, Abby and Laura DEKKER. My comment about Laura & being boring was certainly NOT about my favorite and your favorite PT Laura Molnar. Steve has deleted that sentance so that there should not be any misunderstanding . Finally anyone who might think Laura M is boring must lead a very sheltered & unexciting life. Thanks Steve and CaT

Re: Jessica - 07/19/10 02:37 PM

The Moose boring??? Not on your life!! Anything but! grin
Yeah, I understood your "Laura" meant Dekker (the 14-year-old), although "our" Laura is probably a 14-year-old at heart. smile

CaT

Re: Jessica - 07/19/10 02:45 PM

The Moose boring??? Not on your life!! Anything but! grin
Yeah, I understood your "Laura" meant Dekker (the 14-year-old), although "our" Laura is probably a 14-year-old at heart. smile

CaT

Amen and pass the pitcher!

Re: Jessica - 07/19/10 02:48 PM

Amen and pass the pitcher!

Is this a baseball or adult beverage reference? Assuming the latter.

Re: Jessica - 07/19/10 03:25 PM

Assumption cor-rect!

Re: Jessica - 07/27/10 05:49 PM

Laura Dekker cleared for voyage.

Here is another report from the CS Monitor.

Here's Laura Dekker's Blog. Mostly English... I guess meer means more.

Abby has a newish post congratulating Allesandro-di-Benedetto, who circumnavigated in a 21-foot boat.

Re: Jessica - 07/27/10 11:01 PM

I was out sailing in Marina del Rey today, looked over at the boat next to me, and recognized that it was Intrepid, crewed by Abby and Zach.

Re: Jessica - 07/28/10 10:41 AM

A shame that they weren't crewing Wild Eyes.

Re: Jessica - 07/29/10 08:42 AM

Abby has a new post up wishing Laura good luck.

Re: Jessica - 07/29/10 08:46 AM

And Jessica met Sir Richard, and is heading our way in September.

Re: Jessica - 08/01/10 06:27 PM

Laura has set a date to leave for Portugal. Note the schoolbooks on the shelf.

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 12:55 PM

Some of you may have noticed that I read the Sydney Morning Herald Column8. For decades now.

From last week:

"The mystery of the missing statues in Sydney's heritage Lands Department building - of 48 niches only 23 have statues (Column8, Wednesday) - has been solved by Robert Curtis, of Lilyfield, who provided supporting documentary evidence. ''It seems that when we ran out of explorers and NSW was 'settled' there were no more appropriate men - and the statues are all of men - to fill the blanks,'' he writes. "

From today: (and you thought this was really off topic, didn't you!)

"Dave Wallace, of Fresno, California, suggests Jessica Watson, and asks: ''And since I'm from Wagga, is Charles Sturt already there?'' Yes, he is. "

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 01:37 PM

Congratulations on getting your name in print, wagga!

And there couldn't be a better suggestion for a new statue.

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 07:39 PM

There is an Australian/Dutch connection here.

Ignore the posuer with the violin.
Ignore the fat cat with the nasty cigar.
The video quality is just plain awful,
And you can accept or ignore the religious content,

But the voice is transcendent...

Enjoy.

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 08:51 PM

Having my degree in music, and having worked with soloists over the years, I have some familiarity with voices; and hers is nothing short of other-wordly, rarified, pure, not your typical operatic voice. Her ability to switch "gears" effortlessly and her amazing voice and breath control is truly incredible. I could listen to her sing for hours!

Oh, and her hair is wonderful, too. But that's off-topic.

CaT

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 09:40 PM

I was once married to a young lady with an astonishing voice - but that's off-topic, too.

Solveig's song, perhaps?

But Marusia turned into a true Oz, anyway.

Farewell to old England forever,
Farewell to my rum culls as well,
Farewell to the well-known Old Bailey
Where I once used to look such a swell.

Chorus:
Singing too-ral, li-ooral, li-addity,
Singing too-ral, li-ooral, li-ay,
Singing too-ral, li-ooral, li-addity,
Oh we're bound for Botany Bay.

There's the captain as is our commander,
There's the bosun (''boatswain'' )and all the ship's crew,
There's the first- and the second-class passengers,
Knows what we poor convicts go through.

Oh had I the wings of a turtle-dove,
I'd soar on my pinions so high,
Slap bang to the arms of my Polly love,
And in her sweet presence I'd die.

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie1 Oi! Oi! Oi!

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 09:40 PM

....But that's off-topic.CaT

That is okay; at the rate that these sailing records change hands, next year, a four-year-old will probably attempt it, and folks will be saying "Jessica, who??"

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 09:43 PM

Jessica who?

Re: Jessica - 08/02/10 10:08 PM

My brother, who is pretty much a neighbor to Jessica, and who got me started on this 20,000+ view topic, sent me this puzzle:

How come Jessica - 100% Oz, completed the trip, while Abby, 1/2 Oz, got halfway round?. He says it is something to do with maths.

Re: Jessica - 08/06/10 07:56 AM

Laura has a new post but it's written in Dutch (I suppose)

Babelfish thinks:

"After all upheaval and interest at last underway to Portugal. During this sniffing speed my father still to test the boat even well for the large adventure starts and godfather regulates my matter in the Netherlands. "

"Sailing well only goes terrible we much south west wind therefore has had we cross. Guppy lie to the pace borders in water but I have it a lot to my sense and enjoys the rest and the sea. We are meanwhile at Toulaville in France our rate at present W 286 degrees speed 7 kn and wind is SW 5 bft. I am very terrible glad that I am now at last gone."

Re: Jessica - 08/06/10 09:48 AM

> Babelfish thinks:

LOL!

Re: Jessica - 08/06/10 02:37 PM

Here is some food for thought in this Wired article.

Looking at the picture, I see:

1) A fabric dodger, which blocks the way forward. Jessica & Abby had hard protection.
2) A wheel. J&A used a tiller, which lets you sit on the side of the boat with an unobstructed view forward. I'm guessing, but I think it's a lot harder to break a tiller.
3) The canvas cockpit cover. Laura looks set for a cruise in the tropics, which is the plan. Still, a knockdown...

There is a chunky wooden object behind her - tiller? self-steering?

Re: Jessica - 08/07/10 04:58 AM

New post for L. De radio is kapot.

We needed Babelfish for that? Here is the rest:

"Hello all it goes very well here only radio is unfortunately gone further seems get Guppy more on a dive boat then on a sail boat we thus much water concerning. It can be come on that we many zwerfvuil against and much old pieces fishnet and especially with that last must watch out you, I have, however, seen during my last sniffing to United Kingdom. We have the sail on and the engine assists, we sail now 5.9 knts and wind is south West 4-5 bft our rate is SW 249 degrees. It is not real holiday much rain and it is cold especially s' night, the temperature are degrees now 18. Meanwhile we have already taken off 387 miles and at present sail we middle in English the canal, between Plymouth in United Kingdom and Saint-Pol-de-Leon in France."

Update in English.

Re: Jessica - 08/08/10 11:22 AM

wagga:
1) A fabric dodger, which blocks the way forward. Jessica & Abby had hard protection.

As did Zac. Certainly better, but I don't think a deal-killer.

2) A wheel. J&A used a tiller, which lets you sit on the side of the boat with an unobstructed view forward. I'm guessing, but I think it's a lot harder to break a tiller.

Most modern larger boats use wheels. They give a great mechanical advantage, and can be controlled sitting on the side, like a tiller. It is a "system", though, so there is the possibility of parts failure...so as always, increased complexity increases potential failure issues. However, I'd think this would be the way to go.

3) The canvas cockpit cover. Laura looks set for a cruise in the tropics, which is the plan. Still, a knockdown...

Yeah.

There is a chunky wooden object behind her - tiller? self-steering?

Neither. Can't tell what exactly it is, because of the angle. would not be a tiller, on a wheeled boat. The autopilots on these boats are electronic.

Looking at a review of this boat model, which was discontinued in 1980, I don't like this notation: "The boat is not well set up for singlehanded sailing."

The other thing I see in that picture that is disconcerting, is that the winches are not self-tailing. I would think that would be critical in heavy conditions.

Re: Jessica - 08/08/10 01:17 PM

L. has posted again, but she's gone back to Dutch.

The Fish has:

"We have best hurried up and now started with cross of the golf of Biskaje. At last it is nicely and the sun seems it is almost calm and we have hoisted the spinaker and have a top speed of, however, 1.9 button haha. The sea is splendid blauw and I have made macaroni for pa ready and he finds it very nice. Also are I glad with groetjes of grandpa and granny with derision goes it fortunately also terrible well further has I also all what done to my school. By means of iridium sateliet tel. I can keep happy contact with the team and my family. We miles now 526 have sailed and the rate is degrees now 190. Doei Laura"

Ken:

Thanks for the comments. Still think that dodger is an obstacle course, if she needs to go forward.

Re: Jessica - 08/08/10 01:39 PM

Oh, I was thinking you were talking about the stoutness and protection of the dodger. I can't tell the the exact configuration of that particular dodger from the picture. Some have stout handles on the sides, this appears not.

However, in the the review of the boat I read, it said:

http://www.sailingmagazine.net/boats/6-used-boat-notebook/551-jeanneau-gin-fizz

"The side decks are wide, but there isn't much to hold onto once you leave the cockpit until you can grab the shrouds"

So, potentially, a dodger could give additional handholds (ie, safety), when one goes forward. Personally, I'd never go forward singlehanding without being clipped in, but even so, I hate being outside a cockpit without a solid handhold, and I'm never in the conditions they have to anticipate!

Re: Jessica - 08/10/10 04:10 AM

Laura is still chatting in Dutch.

BabelFish:

"What a terrible day today we have still good and I have seen dolphins and a whale really groovy and super seeing cool. We hurry up good and are already wide concerning half in the golf of Biskaje. Even if 685 miles sailed, rate degrees now 235 and speed 3 button. Doei"

Re: Jessica - 08/10/10 08:44 AM

Tougher to read than some of those messages out of the wps. But I can still get most of the point.

Any ideas as to what "speed 3 button" translates to? 3 knots??

Re: Jessica - 08/10/10 09:39 AM

I can't quite imagine what else it could be. Pretty slow progress

Re: Jessica - 08/10/10 10:02 AM

According to this sailing terms xlation site, knot = knoop, and nautical mile is zeemijl.

Re: Jessica - 08/10/10 12:10 PM

According to this sailing terms xlation site, knot = knoop, and nautical mile is zeemijl.

And according to babelfish, Dutch to English, knoop = button. I suppose actual tied knots might have been used as button-like fasteners way back when the language was evolving.

And for the origin of knots being used as a nautical unit of speed, read this:
    Chip Log on Wikipedia   ...interesting.

Re: Jessica - 08/10/10 12:12 PM

I emailed the contact at that site, asking about the meaning of "button".

I don't know if there is any connection, but as of lunchtime, "button" is out & "knoop" is in!.

Re: Jessica - 08/11/10 10:25 AM

Laura is sailing & cooking and breaking more equipment.

"Moan that we the guest book must turn off because bores solicit strange letter. With me the terrible good goes and pa is in devours bui he eats my complete stock on, chips, nootjes, biscuits, Coca-Cola, chocolate nothing is safe. We have had since yesterday problems with the salt hydraulic pump which has broken down and also the new gps/radar have kuren, valen zomaar functions. That was, however, cumbersome with in the fog sail because you must pay attention then extra without radar. Fortunately godfather with all new stuff comes to Portugal. Furthermore is weerzien there not much and to do but it is complete nicely here. I with bruinebonen potatoes and also still tomato soup have made. It also quietly therefore I have time for my school book and have a grating have been made I am also still a book for reading. Vanmorgen I have baked fresh rolls and I dofijnen today have seen and also a shark we are already at North Spain (cape Finisterre). All sails stand breed now on 2, sail and the bazaan wind is but strength 2-3 but we obtain nevertheless almost 6 button. to later."

Re: Jessica - 08/11/10 10:53 AM

When she refers to the wind strength as 2-3, she is almost certainly referring to the Beaufort scale, just most places out of the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Re: Jessica - 08/12/10 05:34 PM

Laura D. is half-way down the coast of Portugal.

It seems they have fixed the web site so that English is accessible again.

Re: Jessica - 08/15/10 05:51 PM

Jessica's book has hit #1 non-fiction/fiction book.

And she's back from Western Australia.

Laura has reached the marina in Portugal. No more detail.

Shame, she'll have an additional half her lifetime so far before she can legally enjoy a vintage Port like a Grahams. And it should be older than her present age.

Re: Jessica - 08/15/10 06:44 PM

Shame, she'll have an additional half her lifetime so far before she can legally enjoy a vintage Port like a Grahams. And it should be older than her present age.

The drinking age in the Netherlands is 18 - 16 for the weaker beverages.

Re: Jessica - 08/15/10 07:05 PM

I could have looked that up, I suppose. I do know that Europeans in general allow younger children a sip at the dinner table.

Re: Jessica - 08/18/10 04:39 AM

Abby is in good company. The sailors met up with the mountaineer.

The text is weird. Just select it all and then you can read it.

Re: Jessica - 08/20/10 08:40 AM

Laura has posted from the Marina Portimao.

Babelfish continues to amuse and amaze...

"It was the previous days this way busy that it shot just as in to write blog. The first day to country desalinates the complete boat and the wax gedraait, we had 3 washing machines full! everything this way salt had become because the boat the first days more under if above water its excursion started to the south. With my fathers toe it goes meanwhile what improves. Furthermore we are of course still what small jobs on the boat to winding up. New the radio new for the radar which became by Seiwa immediately available is put there and has been also again inaugurated. Is splendidly here but and I have just as descended of my fur coat, which had I complete gone to Portugal, however, because when it was not this way warm. Here a t-shirt and shorts are sufficient. Laura"  

Re: Jessica - 08/21/10 10:21 AM

According to the LA Times Laura sneaked out of port on (our time) Saturday morning and is on her way.

Here's the New York Daily News with a video. Note: video has a 30-sec. commercial.

Re: Jessica - 08/23/10 03:53 PM

Making some sense of this now. The English post is just the title, the text is available only in Dutch.

So firing up the trusty??? Babelfish:

22-8-2010 - Start Solo

"I have at last left for my traveltravel travel from Gibraltar. In Portimao I was already approached after a day by the press and tourists. The complete day ran there dozens of people concerning the wharf. And everyone had zonodig all foto' s make! That found I really annoying. Guppy had be tested still with new introduced equipment. I decided to Gibraltar sail because it a piece was quieter there. Moreover with that no adult needed in the 12 miles area. I am also the rock of Gibraltar opgeweest. The monkeys which live there its even car ingeklommen. Also I found the old casemates on the rock really interestingly. Zaterdagmorgen 21 augusts threw my father mooring ropes there separately and went I at last solo!"

23-8-2010 - Freedom

"I am already two days underway and enjoy the rest and space for me gone. At present a good wind after a day little wind, therefore engine. By rolling Guppy a smattering charge of seasickness have. But that goes now fortunately improves. I am already concerning half of my first stage. It goes nicely"

Re: Jessica - 08/25/10 05:39 AM

I find myself mocking Laura's English, forgetting that it is not Laura, but Babelfish torturing her words. Any Dutch speakers on this board?

Here is the latest post.

"Sea miles still 170 to the Canary islands. Guppy run terribly. With two " zeiltjes" on, I obtain the genua and the storm foresail 6 tie. Yesterday Guppy rolled rather because I wind slantingly of achteren had. I became even a smattering seasick. But today I am entirely in my rhythm, I am days now 4 on sea and feel myself very well and macaroni tastes best. From time to time to see I in the verte a sail boat. Also a sail boat me has come, a very separate experience on sea! Dolphins come regular look at if it goes well with me."

English version now up...

"170 nautical miles to go until the Canary Islands. Guppy sails great. With only two sails
up, the Genoa and the storm jib, we are doing 6 knots. Yesterday Guppy was rolling
pretty much with the wind coming from behind. I got a little bit seasick. But today I found
my rhythm after being at sea for four days now, I feel fine and the macaroni has a better
taste. From time to time I can see a sailboat in the distance. Actually one sailboat came
to my encounter, a very special experience to have at at sea! Dolphins come by
periodically to see if all goes well with me.
"

Re: Jessica - 08/25/10 04:51 PM

Laura has posted Land in Sight.

Some more Babelfish torture:

"After 4 days only water vanochtend a bit country appeared. I could it country unfortunately earlier on the radar see then outside because the visibility was not this way terrible well. That improved by the afternoon and all clouds even pulled away fortunately and made place for nicely warm zonnetje. Now I lie on the Canary islands with the first ettape of my travel behind the back. It was terrible first ettape where I can look at feeling with a good on. Sleeps, food navigate and all other things to border descended me good, and both it and my rhythm on the boat became with the day improves. I provisionally just as against country to must look at, but with the delicious and splendid view here that will succeed, however. Sorry that the English site was not updated and that the blogs sometimes what of information was briefly. But it succeeded not entirely to get everything on sea well. I will try it fix now. Laura"

Re: Jessica - 08/28/10 01:20 PM

Laura Posted today.

Here is the official Babelfish babble.

"Is still splendid here and on a couple fall bindweeds after it is not endure calm and therefore almost in the full sun. Fortunately I have zonnezeiltje above the tank and stay there I therefore the complete day under. It was nice a complete night sleep. But I want nevertheless also the sea. Now I here nevertheless am I want see gladly more islands. it lasts still even before the storm season is concerning and I have enough time therefore all before I to a another island sail. In the Netherlands, and I have again started most the schools also but slowly in the school books have therefore dove. Because that belongs, but I find it this way a lot do not hear. Laura"

Re: Jessica - 08/28/10 06:58 PM

So shouldn't we close the Jessica/Abby thread and start a new Laura thread? We as in Steve or someone.I know it was discussed about putting the Jessica thread to rest in an archived file.It is like 17 pages long now.

Re: Jessica - 09/03/10 05:06 PM

Jessica & Abby are still actively posting, & Jessica will have a US book tour this month so there is a lot to post. Laura will be hanging around the Canary Islands for as long as two months 'til the Atlantic hurricane season is over. So we'll stay in a holding pattern & see whether Laura actually continues on.*

*last week I met a gentleman from the Netherlands who hinted that the educational authorities might be a problem...

Right now I've got 2 bad lines of code in 700,000, when I find & fix them I'll keep up to date more.

Re: Jessica - 09/08/10 05:26 PM

Jessica has arrived in New York for her book tour.

Several TV appearances, as well.

Never mind, I didn't notice the am bit...

Re: Jessica - 09/10/10 06:21 PM

A Book review of Jessica's "True Spirit" in the San Jose Mercury News.

"Not that the trip is without drama. Watson rounds the treacherous Cape Horn of South America uneventfully. But about a week later, a gale near the Falkland Islands grows bigger than forecast. She records winds of 65 knots (75 mph) before the instrument breaks. The large, steep seas knock her boat sideways into the water four times, once at a 180-degree angle. (Although she doesn't see the wave, she can tell how far the boat has tipped by the dingy water line the marine toilet leaves on the wall.)"

Re: Jessica - 09/10/10 06:40 PM

Abby has visited New York and Washington DC.

A great photo of the Lincoln Memorial. Actually, there are some great bouldering moves there. After a few decades I think the Statute of Limitations would have expired, and in any case we cleaned up the smears... I really prefer granite over marble. Both are way better than sandstone.

Re: Jessica - 09/10/10 07:01 PM

Laura has been posting about her activities in Dutch with pictures, so read the English version & click on NED for the piccies.

Re: Jessica - 09/13/10 05:18 PM

Jessica has landed in LA, and met up with Zac Sunderland.

Re: Jessica - 09/15/10 06:03 AM

Here is an article from Brisbane's Daily Mail.

"Like many I was dubious of the whole trip when I first saw Jess on the TV news back in 2009 talking about her plan. What are her parents thinking? I mumbled shaking my head. Why isn't she at school? I muttered rolling my eyes. I mean, for Pete's sake, this slip of a girl looked like she weighed about the same as my left thigh (possibly less). And she wanted to embark on an eight-month solo journey at sea? Had she not seen the cautionary tale that is Gilligan's Island? "

Re: Jessica - 09/16/10 09:25 AM

Jessica's leaving LA & heading for London.

Re: Jessica - 09/16/10 05:31 PM

This is getting confusing. Abby is in Amsterdam, which is Laura's town, & Jessica is in London, & Laura's in the Islas Canarias, waiting out the hurricane season.

Re: Jessica - 09/16/10 11:18 PM

What would we ever do if you weren't keeping track of them? grin

Re: Jessica - 09/17/10 01:34 PM

Laura posted today. The Babelfish xlation was horrific, so here is the Google Translate effort:

"After one day with lots of wind and clouds, was today again surpassed by wind and a red-hot Sun
Today the marlincup started. That's a big two-day fishing competition that orginiseert Marina Rubicon.
Tonight at 9 o'clock all the boats with a lot of noise on the water for 5 hours and repeated the ritual is the other way.
Fish should not be taken into that building so there are only pictures.
I've spent days making a math test and some other people chatting.
Yesterday I had dinner with other Dutch people also go round the world, just like they do in 5 years instead of two years.
"

Re: Jessica - 09/18/10 05:54 PM

Today fractured English can give we by Google xlate.

"Last night was a celebration of the harbor there was a group with drums gave a beautiful performance. It was beautiful to see.
Especially how people with simple tools and a little imagination, so a good performance can give.
Today when I first woman to send the ship off the fishing competition (a big Beneteau) meegeweest.Het had to get used to a different boat to sail.
After the start we sailed back into port. The rest of the day I have to await our Guppy.
"

Re: Jessica - 09/21/10 08:03 AM

Interesting technology in Jessica's book.

Re: Jessica - 09/21/10 08:11 AM

Laura just turned 15.

Dutch to English translation:

"Yesterday was my birthday, thank you very much for all the congratulations. I have a great day.
Morning called me, my mother and me, My sister woke me up and soon afterwards a phone call from my father and other family.
When I was doing my schoolwork came first presents, the Dutch where I had dinner.
Later came a cake of people rubicon rubicon marina itself.

The day before yesterday I went with another Dutch rejected a volcano hike to make.
That was very nice, then we had dinner and I got on squid. It struck me as very much to taste really.
But I tried.
With one of these today, being Dutch, I snorkel. It was incredibly beautiful. I've seen many different types of fish with all kinds of colors.
And those rocks under water are also a wonderful sight. (Even though I actually hate it because you take the boat to be huge for fit)
Then we ate together. When I came back at night on the boat was still a gift.
Someone on the island where I already had a chat with.
I also have some cards and things from people. In short it was a great 15th birthday.

Today I went to the bow direction Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and I leave, marina rubicon beautiful here and everything else behind. To new things and get to know people.

Laura
"

Re: Jessica - 09/26/10 03:55 PM

Jessica is having a good time in London & Paris.

Is there any interest in making a bulk purchase of autographed copies of Jessica's book/DVD? I contacted Shreve ("Daily Coyote") last year and she volunteered to personally autograph a dozen books (which I sent to my friends).

Re: Jessica - 10/01/10 09:45 AM

Jessica's on a roll in Paris.

"Paris is such a beautiful city and solo sailors are very popular with the media. So whilst it is a busy few days, I'm really looking forward to spending some more time here," said Jessica from Paris.

Re: Jessica - 10/01/10 10:47 AM

One year ago, she was about two weeks from beginning her trip. I wonder if she misses being out there alone -- just her and the elements?

Re: Jessica - 10/03/10 06:13 PM

Laura, apart from plaiting bananas on her solar panels, just isn't doing much.

Re: Jessica - 10/05/10 09:56 AM

Is there a second attempt from southern California?.

Re: Jessica - 10/05/10 10:42 AM

Is there a second attempt from southern California?.

There is an attempt at something, but it won't involve sailing around the world.

Re: Jessica - 10/05/10 01:46 PM

Yeah, the loose backstay & the furled sails are a good clew.

Re: Jessica - 10/05/10 02:20 PM

Yeah, the loose backstay & the furled sails are a good clew.

But it was good clean fun. grin

Re: Jessica - 10/08/10 08:02 AM

Round-the-world teenage sailor Jessica Watson has been named the Australian Geographic Society 2010 Young Adventurer Of The Year.
Story in the smh.

Re: Jessica - 10/11/10 02:33 PM

Teen sailor Laura Dekker pondered suicide as ward of state.

Here's the story.

"The time before I decided to run away and when I tried to slash my wrist was the hardest. I did not want to hurt anyone else, so I hurt myself. I really felt I wanted to die."

Re: Jessica - 10/11/10 04:47 PM

Earlier in this saga, I did mention an Indian Navy officer, Dilip Donde, who solo circumnavigated. Belatedly, (very!) he's home, and has been for a while.

"And the most important and cherished! A link to Sir Robin Knox-Johnston's blog on becoming the 175th. member of the exclusive Solo Circumnavigators' Club! I can't think of a greater honour than being personally welcomed by Sir Robin to this elite club!"

So here is the list. Note that Zac Sunderland is not included, due to Suez/Panama passages.

How many peeps have climbed Everest? A lot more than solo circumnavigators.

Re: Jessica - 10/12/10 10:45 AM

Jessica is now in Brazil. Her homecoming won the Australia's Favourite Event award.

"So while all this has been going on back in Australia and since my last update, I've been back to Paris (see pic below) promoting the book launch there, down in the south of France for Mipcom in Cannes, then on to Brazil, where I am now sitting in my room with a view looking out to Christ the Redeemer in Rio De Janeiro!"

Abby's blog has been stuck in Amsterdam for nearly a month. No idea where she is.

Laura continues to post, but right now she's more of a touron. Still not sure that she will allowed to sail west.

Re: Jessica - 10/13/10 09:50 AM

Perhaps Abby reads this thread...

She's been found on yet another boat with a faulty autopilot. And no compass.

Blog here.

"It would definitely be easier having the other boat to follow in as part of our steering problem was that there was no compass on the boat. We were going off a computer hooked up to a GPS that had about a 40 second delay."

Re: Jessica - 10/17/10 03:14 PM

Laura has had a little tiff with her media company.

"I will stay put for a few days and afterwards I can stay at Mog

Re: Jessica - 10/18/10 05:27 AM

Jessica is out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. And today is the 1-year anniversary of her leaving Sydney.

Re: Jessica - 10/20/10 04:35 AM

Here is the official version of her anniversary.

Re: Jessica - 10/24/10 04:45 PM

Jessica received a prestigious award a few days ago. I waited to post this until the missing were found.

Re: Jessica - 10/31/10 05:49 PM

Now Abby has received a different, but nevertheless worthwhile award.

She also visited NASA to meet the SARSAT team.

"Currently, the SARSAT system has saved more than 205 lives in the United States this year alone. However, Affens and his team are developing new technology that will detect distress signals in less than five minutes, a process made possible by placing repeater technology on the Air Force's network of Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites. "

Two posts on her blog:

A week in Maryland and day 2 in Washington.

Re: Jessica - 11/03/10 03:20 PM

Jessica has been appointed the Ambassador for the China Cup International Regatta. Here and here.

"The China Cup International Regatta is currently in its fourth year running and has grown leaps and bounds into the definitive sailing regatta in Asia with an international bill of teams from all around the world including UK, United States, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, France, Israel, Estonia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong and China."

Re: Jessica - 11/07/10 08:38 PM

Jessica turned up at the Melbourne Cup in fancy gear. Amazing the difference a year makes at her age. But she's still Jessica. And she can pick horses, too.

Re: Jessica - 11/08/10 04:16 PM

Jessica is named a finalist in Queensland Australian of the Year.

Re: Jessica - 11/09/10 03:25 PM

Jessica just posted quite the TR.

Laura is talking about actually getting out on the ocean.

"Guppy is filled with boxes of food and drink. The diesel and water tanks are full so we are ready. Today I recently sailed with a good friend, there was a lovely breeze and I really wanted to sail it right now. Unfortunately there was a stowaway on board so I had to go back to Anfi for that off. But tomorrow I'm really about kicking back a little sailing. 'm Really curious how the Cape Verde will be. And I can not wait to go back to St. Maarten.
I think I will leave tomorrow afternoon from Anfi. And then a week at sea will sit until the next island is in sight.
"

Re: Jessica - 11/17/10 01:08 AM

Laura has sailed to the Cape Verde islands.

Details here.

Re: Jessica - 12/09/10 03:47 PM

In a way, I was kind of hoping this thread would die a natural death, but SteveC and others via PM seem to think otherwise.

Here is a good summary of what is going on. It seems that Laura is finally moving out, Abby has a ghost-written book and Jessica has won more rewards. More later.

Re: Jessica - 12/13/10 05:42 PM

Jessica went on holiday on the Pacific Dawn. Apparently she wasn't required to steer the ship. Not that that stopped her. (see photo).

She's the State finalist for Young Australian of the year. She won't be sailing in the Sydney to Hobart race, because she just isn't old enough. And there are more awards. More later.

Re: Jessica - 12/13/10 05:46 PM

Abby is leading a normal life, (so she says), writing her book & getting her driver's license.

Re: Jessica - 12/13/10 05:53 PM

Laura is on her way across the Atlantic. Her web site apparently doesn't have permalinks, so each link is to the current post. Or something like that. And the en route mapping page doesn't work, either.

"The wind decreased again last night, but fortunately, there is a slight breeze now. Still about 750 nautical miles [1389 kilometres; 863 land miles] to go, so I think that I will arrive in Sint Maarten around December 20th."

Re: Jessica - 12/16/10 03:45 PM

Jessica is gearing up for a different kind of Xmas.

She has reindeer antlers on her MINI - no reindeer in Oz, everybody knows that Santa's sleigh is pulled by six white boomers.

Re: Jessica - 12/19/10 11:47 AM

Laura has landed in St. Maarten after crossing the Atlantic. Check yesterday's entry on her blog - she lost & replaced her wind vane steering system rudder.

Re: Jessica - 12/22/10 06:16 PM

Jessica met up with Sir Robin Knox-Johnston in the build-up to the Sydney-Hobart race.

"She may have braved some of the most heinous conditions imaginable during her round-the-world voyage but Jessica Watson was just an excited teenager yesterday when she and one of her heroes accidentally crossed paths in Sydney."

Re: Jessica - 12/31/10 12:36 PM

Well, here's an end-of-year wrap on our intrepid sailor girls.

Laura has turned back into a touron in St Barts. Her webby people have never gotten the hang of permalinks, so the pointer is always to the most recent post, which breaks all archival references. Besides that, the "Where is Laura" tracking page has never worked.

Abby wishes us all a Happy New Year. She's thinking of taking on the bagpipes. Somebody needs to tell her that the bagpipes were invented by the Irish & given to the Scots as a practical joke, who, to this day, haven't gotten it.

Jessica had a great Christmas and is sunbaking on the beach.

On a different note, Jeanne Socrates, who is not a teenager, is approaching Cape Horn. The link takes you to the home page, click on the link under "Latest Logs" for the newest.

Re: Jessica - 01/05/11 08:15 AM

Abby made Yahoo's top ten survivor story list. Jessica & Laura got a mention, too.

Re: Jessica - 01/06/11 02:42 PM

Jeanne Socrates has suffered a knockdown near Cape Horn. She is apparently OK.

Re: Jessica - 01/07/11 04:51 AM

There is a full account of Jeanne's knockdown on her blog.

She, unlike Jessica & Abby, has posted pictures of the mess.

Re: Jessica - 01/08/11 03:49 AM

Jeanne is anchored at Cape Horn.

Re: Jessica - 01/09/11 04:30 AM

Jeanne made landfall in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world.

Re: Jessica - 01/11/11 04:50 PM

Jessica is close to the Queensland floods. Not as much beach time as she wanted.

Jeanne is catching up on things, moored at Ushuaia.

Re: Jessica - 01/16/11 02:53 AM

Jessica is involved with a fundraiser for the QLD flood victims, then is off to Germany to launch the German edition of her book.

Re: Jessica - 01/23/11 04:01 PM

Nothing new from Jessica and Abby.

Laura is moored at Īsles des Saintes after sailing from Sint Maarten.

I emailed Jeanne Socrates with a link to the Zone & received an email back from her.

"Thanks for the good wishes! Happy New Year to you!
Sorry for the long delay - rather a lot has been happening of late....
Cheers,
Jeanne
"Nereida"
Ushuaia
"

Re: Jessica - 01/25/11 05:03 AM

Jessica has won the Young Australian of the Year award.

Re: Jessica - 01/25/11 07:19 AM

Excellent! Glad she got it.

From the Australian of the Year website:
Quote:
Young Australian of the Year 2011

Jessica Watson
Sailor

From the age of 12 Jessica Watson dreamt of sailing solo, unassisted, non-stop around the world, and at the age of 16 she made it happen. She overcame a lack of funding and respect, along with her own fears, to circumnavigate the world. Defying criticism from those who said her task was destined to fail, she sailed through dangerous conditions and some of the world's most challenging seaways, such as Cape Horn and the Southern Ocean. The teen adventurer survived multiple knockdowns in her yacht, Pink Lady, and endured 12-metre seas, 75-knot winds, storms and loneliness throughout the seven month journey. She kept in contact with followers through her blog and after 210 days out at sea, returned to a hero's welcome as she sailed into Sydney Harbour. Since her voyage she has displayed maturity and dignity, becoming a role model for young people all over the world. Her voyage has inspired thousands of people of all ages to take up sailing, and has shown that if you put your mind to it you can achieve what may at first seem impossible. Her courage and determination to defeat all odds is truly exceptional.

Re: Jessica - 01/25/11 08:32 AM

There is a picture here, with more details. The awards are announced on Australia Day, Jan 26th. Oz is 8-12 hours ahead of WTZ.

Re: Jessica - 01/26/11 02:26 PM

Jeanne has been beavering away, getting Nereida shipshape again.

Laura is moving on to Dominica.

Re: Jessica - 01/30/11 04:33 PM

Jessica's site has more information on her award, including a photo with Julia, the Prime Minister.

Laura is in Dominica, slaughtering coconuts.

Re: Jessica - 02/01/11 05:23 PM

Jessica had a lot of fun on Sydney Harbour on the Ella B. 18' Skiff. These "boats", though only 18 ft. long, can be 18' wide, with 1000 square feet of sail area. Thirty knots or more, as much in the air as in the water.

Re: Jessica - 02/01/11 06:57 PM

Whoa! That video is fun to watch!

Good pic of Jessica, too:

Re: Jessica - 02/03/11 08:49 AM

Laura has begun sailing to Bonaire from Dominica

Re: Jessica - 02/03/11 02:01 PM

Laura has a new friend who gepoept all over Guppy.

Her English is definitely getting better - and there is a sense of humor starting to peek through.

Re: Jessica - 02/03/11 03:01 PM

Jeanne has a long, chatty post with a picture. She probably won't resume (actually, start over) her solo, nonstop 'til the end of the month.

Re: Jessica - 02/05/11 11:30 AM

Laura has arrived in Bonaire.

Re: Jessica - 02/06/11 11:47 AM

Jessica joins the fight to save the Bilby

Re: Jessica - 02/07/11 03:35 PM

Abby is learning to drive.

"Makes me laugh at the thought that 16 is too young to take on a big sailing trip but not too young to drive... I for one feel much safer on a boat!"

Re: Jessica - 02/07/11 03:48 PM

Jeanne is still in port. I sometimes see international deliveries from my clients as much as 10 minutes late. Jeanne, at the end of the world, doesn't complain much about 10 days late. Not to mention an Irish pub with no Guinness available.

Re: Jessica - 02/07/11 04:02 PM

There is a French bloke a week or so into a solo circumnavigation. He's single-handing an almost 100 foot trimaran in an attempt to beat the record 57 something-days record. 30 knots at times.

Unfortunately, the English posts are rare, & my French is fried.

If anybody with a good command of the Gallic tongue wishes to xlate & post, that would be un merveilleux.

I wonder what old Joshua Slocum would think of this...

Re: Jessica - 02/08/11 11:21 AM

Jeanne has posted some interesting bird portraits.

Re: Jessica - 02/12/11 02:04 PM

Here's a geo-position two weeks out for the French solo sailor. He's running at about 25 mph.

Re: Jessica - 02/16/11 05:34 AM

Jessica is on the road with her new Driver's Licence.

Re: Jessica - 02/16/11 10:22 AM

Just another teenage driver. Look out! wink

Re: Jessica - 02/17/11 12:16 PM

Jeanne is still in port, waiting for bits & pieces to arrive and get through Customs. Some interesting photos, though.

Re: Jessica - 02/19/11 11:14 AM

Laura thinks sailing is safer than driving.

"I have found out that it is safer being at sea than being on land.Tuesday, I went biking along with my grandparents and some friends. However it is quite dangerous to ride here especially in the dark, but since it is not hilly it is also quite easy to do. But traveling by car is not safe either. On Wednesday I went kayaking the mangroves, and on the way back as we were driving over a dirt road a big truck hit us from behind at full speed. I was sitting in the back of the car and I have to thank my good star that the driver accelerated otherwise I would be as flat as a pancake now. So I have a big bump on my head and my back hurts a bit.. I am a little better now, but it was just by a hair's breadth that my trip didn't end right there. Yesterday my father and my sister arrived. It is soooooooooo nice to be together again. I have to get used to all the hustle and bustle but since it is the pleasant kind of flurry, i am getting used to it quickly." Laura

Re: Jessica - 02/20/11 07:24 AM

Coville has rounded the Cape of Good Hope. Since then he's traveled halfway across the Indian Ocean.

Re: Jessica - 02/21/11 12:35 PM

This is Laura's latest post. She answers some questions...

"I am feeling completely well again. The bump on my head is a lot smaller and my back is fine. Today I went biking but it wasn't much of a success. We started too late so it was very hot. Yesterday, I saw someone assembling a Mini-Cat. A really small, inflatable catamaran. My sister and I went over and we asked if we could have a sail with it. Well, we did and are just back. It was very funny. It sails extremely well if you keep in mind that it is an inflatable catamaran. Moreover, it was funny to sail with a real 'Guppy'.

But I would also like to give some answers to some comments.

When I started to prepare for my round the world trip at ten years old, I had never heard of Jessica [Watson], Abby [Sunderland], Zac [Sunderland - Abby's brother] or Mike [Perham]. It is quite funny that everyone compares me with them. Jessica, Abby, Zac and Mike tried something totally different from what I planned to do. They set off to sail around the world non-stop which is not what I am aiming to do. I avoid storm seasons, and I would like to see something of the world and learn about it while doing so. Because of that, my journey will take two years. I cannot go forward right now because then I would have to wait in Tahiti. I'd rather stay at berth here. In short, I am trying to achieve something different from Jessica, Abby, Zac and Mike's records. My trip is better compared to those of Tania Aebi and Robin Lee Graham. Tania was 18 when she sailed around the world from 1985 to 1987. She also flew back home during her trip and she had regular visits by her family.

This does not affect the record attempt in anyway. Unfortunately, her record was not recognized since she had a passenger aboard of her boat for one day while she sailed westerly and she did not go back on her path to sail it solo again. Robin was 16 and he sailed around the world between 1965 and 1970 with a 24-foot boat. However, both did it without GPS or nowadays equipment. Moreover, Tania did not have any sailing experience when she departed from New York. I write about this because I have been told that I should not go to the HISWA ( a boat show in the Netherlands) since this could endanger my record attempt. Because this was said so often to me I just wanted to answer. In fact my record will not be recognized as a real record. The Guinness Book of Records stopped recognizing all of the "youngest" records.

By the way, it is really funny to read all the comments going on the internet. Before I departed from the Netherlands, everyone thought that my trip would be too dangerous and that it would prove to be mentally disturbing to me. Now I read that even a baby could do it and that I am on a holiday trip??? Dear people, you should first make clear to yourselves what it is you are judging. I will certainly listen to negative comments, but they have to be based on facts and they should be well proven. In short, for real there are no, or just a few, negative comments because most naysayers actually do not know what it is they are talking about.
"

Laura

Re: Jessica - 02/25/11 01:15 PM

Thomas Coville has zoomed under Australia and is past Tasmania.

Position here.

Re: Jessica - 02/27/11 03:52 PM

Jeanne is dealing with bribery and corruption to get needed boat components on board.

If the following rant is out of line, then I expect SteveC or the Moderatrix to step in.

B&C is rampant in this country, even though we feel self-righteous compared to most other countries. It just occurs at the highest levels, <Google "Cheney"> or at your local union.

/rant.

Re: Jessica - 03/07/11 03:36 PM

Jessica's playing with bilbies again, and has a press conference on Wednesday to announce her next challenge. Whitney?

Abby's book is off to the printers, and she went sailing in an Open 60.

Jeanne is experiencing boom times - some great photos.

Thomas Scoville is almost at Cape Horn and has caught up around 600 miles of the deficit over the record-holder. 20 days to go.

Re: Jessica - 03/09/11 04:16 PM

Abby gave a talk at the TEDx Conference & lots of other fun stuff, but she still has school, homework & exams. Here.

Laura is in the Netherlands for a boat show.

Coville has posted his Cape rounding in English. Click on the "Cartographie" icon to see where he is now.

Re: Jessica - 04/20/11 06:10 PM

So what was Jessica's next big challenge which was announced on March 10?

Jessica's planning to captain a Sydney-Hobart race team. She couldn't participate last year because she was under-age.

I'm behind on posting our adventurer's travels, because I've got deadlines & not so much traveling was happening.

Thomas Coville finished his solo circumnavigation in a 100' tri., but was several days outside the record. Read it here.

Jeanne has left the Falkland Islands and is still in the Atlantic.

Laura has traversed the Panama Canal & reached the Pacific.

Abby is back from traveling & has her book, brother & kittens.

Roz Savage left Fremantle a few days ago in attempt to be the first person to row solo across the major oceans.

Her blog is here. Roz, remember the sunscreen!

Even though there have been no postings for weeks, the number of views is still astonishing.

Re: Jessica - 04/29/11 05:04 PM

The weekly catchup post.

Jessica met a smart young lady in Kiwiland and is getting a little political and visited a replica of the original Endeavour.

No new news from Abby.

Laura found the Equator and discovered the Galapagos islands.

Jeanne didn't quite make to Gough Island - wherever the hell that is.

And Roz turned back to land for some needed fixes, discovered Australian mateship, watched some weird pommy ceremony on the tube, and is back in the water again. From personal experience, American kindness to strangers is very much like Australian mateship. This is worth watching. She's a Pom.

Re: Jessica - 04/30/11 04:13 PM

Roz is out to sea again, after repairs in Geraldton.

Re: Jessica - 05/02/11 03:17 PM

Roz is having battery problems, hopes to get all fixed up at the Abrolhos Islands. Perhaps she'll meet up with a Tammar Wallaby.

Laura has been swimming with sharks and has overcome her phobia.

Jeanne has crossed the Greenwich meridian.

Re: Jessica - 05/03/11 04:57 PM

Roz is doing Electrical Work at the Last Chance Saloon. All fixed.

Re: Jessica - 05/05/11 04:50 PM

Roz is on her way. For real.

Re: Jessica - 05/07/11 03:30 PM

Roz talks about fear.

Re: Jessica - 05/09/11 04:27 PM

Roz has posted Top tips for cooking on a rowboat. Lots of familiar stuff for peeps on this board.

"The next time you're eating your meal outside your tent while gazing contentedly into your campfire, just imagine trying to prepare your meal on a pitching boat, juggling stove and spoon and mug and trying not to lose anything overboard. It definitely adds a certain liveliness to the cooking experience!"

Laura has started to cross a major chunk of the Pacific. Her next stop is planned to be the Marquesas Islands.

Map here.

Re: Jessica - 05/16/11 05:17 PM

Well, it's been one whole year since Jessica arrived home.

Abby is speaking & doing book signings.

Laura is just over half-way through this leg of the Pacific Ocean.

And Jeanne made a dramatic landfall at Capetown.

Roz, though, seems to be tying knots in the ocean. The wrong kind.

Re: Jessica - 05/23/11 04:54 PM

Jessica turned 18.

Laura is down to 400 miles to go.

And Roz keeps pushing on, one oarstroke at a time.

Re: Jessica - 05/23/11 05:57 PM

Wagga, what are you going to do when this thread hits six figures? cool

Re: Jessica - 06/16/11 06:32 PM

Won't happen until tomorrow.

Jessica has been a busy young lady woman now that she has turned 18. She's in France for the mini-Fastnet. Details here.

It's been over a year since Abby was rescued.

"Earlier in the day I had sent a blog home to my mom to post. It started off with a bad attempt at humor, saying "its been a crazy few days out here, the long and the short of it is, one long wave and one short, meaning a two inch stub of a mast." It wasn't funny, but at the time my choices were pretty limited, cry, or cry, or make a lame joke and pretend its funny. I went with the third option."

Laura is moored at Moorea.

And Jeanne must be enjoying Cape Town - she hasn't posted lately.

Re: Jessica - 07/01/11 02:45 PM

Jessica completed the Mini Fastnet (in a boat named "Skippy"). She started Round The Island race, but crashed. Or is that collided in boat racing?

Laura is back to crossing the Pacific, and is reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire" of the 'Millennium' series. Excellent books(s).

Jeanne flew off to London, she's back now & climbed Table Mountain

Roz has been rowing, making very good progress, but because of the Horn of Africa pirate situation is not showing her position. here is the most recent post.

Re: Jessica - 07/14/11 04:56 PM

Jessica is racing around the Whitsunday Islands.

Jeanne posted more pictures from Table Mountain. That animal looks like a pika. I wonder if they have marmots in SA.

Laura is en route again, about 400 land miles to Fiji.
She posted some pictures. So it really is happening.

Roz is somewhat becalmed, but never stops thinking.

Re: Jessica - 11/18/11 03:37 PM

Even though this thread has fallen off the page, it still gets some hits.

So let's update our adventurers:

Jessica is well into training for the Sydney-Hobart race. Last year she was too young to enter, this year she has her own boat & crew. Story here.

Abby, et al are winning film nominations & awards - here.

Laura has visited Durban in South Africa - & just missed running down a whale.

Jeanne is still in Capetown - with a joke:

My latest on the slow pace of work.....

Q: "Why is Cape Town called the 'Mother City'?

A: "Because it takes nine months to get anything done!"

More here.

And, finally, Roz is in Colorado, having rowed across the Indian Ocean. Story here.

Re: Jessica - 11/20/11 10:21 AM

Thanks for the updates wagga

Re: Jessica - 12/27/11 02:17 PM

Rod, here are more (belated) updates.

Jessica is doing well with her teenage crew on the Ella Bache in the Sydney-Hobart race.

Laura is entertaining flying fish in her cabin in the middle of the night.

Roz and Jeanne met each other at a shindy thrown by the Queen.

"An awesome evening in Buckingham Palace .....! What a privilege! Amid the splendour of the State rooms with their magnificent paintings and with several relevant displays of original letters, photos and other objects from explorations and adventures over the last two centuries, we were all presented to the Queen and Prince Philip who were hosting a Reception to mark the centenary of Capt Scott's final expedition to the S. Pole. The Reception was intended to recognise the accomplishments of those involved in exploration and adventure in all its forms. "

Re: Jessica - 12/30/11 02:32 AM

Jessica has reached the finish line.

Re: Jessica - 05/05/12 04:54 PM

Well, it's been a while, so let's catch up with our intrepid young ladies:

Jessica & her crew won the Three Peaks Race in Tasmania.

Jessica is now in the third week of something called Dancing With The Stars.

"I've seen a lot of incredible things in my career, but never have I seen such a transformation llke that. You have gone from a duckling to a swan, it was beautiful," said Richey.

Picture - or it didn't happen:

Laura is waiting to pass through the Panama Canal.

Jeanne has left Hobart and is nearing New Zealand.

Roz is attending conferences. Check out the Lytro light field camera. Just simply amazing. She will be rowing the Atlantic to get to the Olympics!

Re: Jessica - 05/15/12 11:07 AM

Two years ago today.

Re: Jessica - 05/22/12 05:45 PM

Jessica has survived two more rounds of that dance thing.

Laura should be at the Galapagos Islands today. She has a kitty named "Kiwi" on board. And some blokes.

Roz has regretfully postponed the XAtlantic row to the Olympics due to abnormal icebergs.

"I weighed up the pros and cons of carrying on with the row. There were 7 points on each side. But when one of the "con" points is "risk of death significantly higher than anticipated", you really have to give that one a higher weighting. "

And Jeanne is on her way to Tahiti.

Re: Jessica - 07/17/12 04:13 PM

I've had occasional email correspondence with Jeane on "Nereida".

Today I received this:

Re: You, Jessica, Abby & Laura

Hi there

- they may have stopped but I'm still going...

On final leg of solo RTW via 5 Five Gt Capes of Southern Ocean...

ETA Vic, B.C., 2-4th Aug.

Cheers,

Jeanne
"Nereida"
28N, 159W

www.svnereida.com

Current tracking is here.

Encourage her with emails to KC2IOV@Winlink.org

Re: Jessica - 03/11/17 11:55 PM

Taken at the Queensland Maritime Museum several years ago...

Re: Jessica - 05/21/18 03:52 AM

Bump.
Posted by: John Sims

Re: Jessica - 05/21/18 11:13 AM

Epic post Wagga!

Interesting that the post morphed from "the youngest woman to attempt an around the world sail unassisted", (with many stops along the way) to "the oldest women to attempt an around the world sail unassisted".

Seems like it will be going full circle:-)

Re: Jessica - 05/21/18 08:17 PM

I have some new stories, still getting pics, etc together. Here is a preview.

Posted by: John Sims

Re: Jessica - 05/21/18 09:50 PM

First woman pony express rider to cross Australia unassisted?