Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: + @ti2d REI Anniversary Sale - 05/17/10 03:32 PM
The happiest time of the year will be here at our favorite store in Fresno!

The REI Anniversary sale will be going on from May 21 - 31, 2010.

Still have our dividend and won't no more!

Have fun!
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/17/10 07:43 PM
Get some good gear Gary - you might need it on some POS route this summer . . .
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/17/10 07:53 PM
Heck, we got everything except for the accordion style pneumatic pads. Gonna need those for our little backpacking extravaganza. Those Thermarests are great, but blowing those things up takes it out of you.

Have fun.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/17/10 08:12 PM
Got a Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite I use for backpacking locally - extremely light, but a far cry from comfy and insulating. I'm gonna trade it in for something more comfortable before I snuggle up to cold granite at 12K' at Trail Camp. For me, a good night's sleep is worth some extra weight.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/17/10 08:49 PM
Thank you for the personal beta, Bulldog34!

Will still make the purchase. Maybe a little experimentation is in order.

Have fun.
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Sale - 05/17/10 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: + @ti2d
Those Thermarests are great, but blowing those things up takes it out of you.

Wimp... wink wink wink
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Sale - 05/17/10 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

Gary... stop it... <stern mom-type look>
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 12:32 AM
A full length Z-Rest under a Thermarest Prolite Small will keep you insulated and comfy any season on rock or snow and the combo weighs almost nothing. And the Prolite blows up with just a few puffs. Even the whimpiest can get it up.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 12:33 AM
'Pologies. I can't help myself sometimes. I'm seeking treatment . . .
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 01:00 AM
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks

Gary... stop it... <stern mom-type look>
Which Gary?
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 01:14 AM
She's chastising me for the tasteless (but witty) "POS route" interjection. I deserved it, being the troll that I am . . .
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 01:19 AM
Thanks Mike - I just may give that a try. If I can find a good combination of weight and sleeping comfort, I'm all over it. Besides, I'd look like a dork hauling my Camp-Mor inflatable up Whitney . . .
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 02:30 AM
She's chastising me for the tasteless (but witty) "POS route" interjection. I deserved it, being the troll that I am . . .

I'm gonna smack you up the mountain, I swear to... wink whistle
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 02:30 AM
Thanks Mike - I just may give that a try. If I can find a good combination of weight and sleeping comfort, I'm all over it. Besides, I'd look like a dork hauling my Camp-Mor inflatable up Whitney . . .

Actually, no, you'd probably blend in with the masses...

hehehe... sorry, I'm in a silly mood tonight...
Posted By: Mike Condron Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 04:34 AM
Would that be the blonde, brunette, or redhead?
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 05:31 AM
Hey! Is this some sort of POSsing match? They're NOT allowed here!
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 06:10 AM
Back on topic... I'm buying my second Thermarest NeoAir small this year. (loaned the first one to some PCT hiker.)

9 ounces of great comfort! (And it takes about 12 breaths to fill.)
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Mike Condron
Would that be the blonde, brunette, or redhead?

Well Mike, as my darling wife is (allegedly) a blonde, there's only one right answer . . .
Posted By: wbtravis Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve C

Damn, it's spilling over to our pristine board...who'd thunk it.

I'm really proud of myself staying out of that food fight.

As for the Return Everything Inc. Sale...I have everything, well at least for now. Hmmm...my ancient and oh so slow GPS needs replacing but my camera died last week...decisions, decisions.
Posted By: KevinR Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 03:46 PM
Is this "Anniversary Sale" the usual run-of-the-mill sale? Or is it something special, like 20% off everything?
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 04:48 PM
It is REI's Anniversary Sale (founded May 1938).

You should have received an REI catalog in the mail. On the back, there is a coupon for 20% off everything (except for items that end with a $._6 or $._9) If you get emails from REI, you should be getting that coupon, too.

One item I noticed in the catalog was the camping kitchen. Regular $109. On sale for $79! Do I want it? Nah. Negotiations are ongoing with my wife to persuade her for me to get it!
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 08:16 PM

Kind of my point, people. Let's move on and TRY to be adults here...

And, for the record, I bought that shirt a few weeks ago, LONG before there was any mention of SHIT of any kind.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 08:35 PM
Did I miss something? confused

I took no offense to Bulldog34's comments...After all I did poke fun at his beloved UGA Bulldogs on another thread in regards to blue and orange gaiters. So, I had it coming.

To me POS could stand for things other than POS...

Anyhoo...life goes on...working on my breathing techniques for my Thermarest!whistle

Have fun.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 08:55 PM

> Kind of my point, people. Let's move on and TRY to be adults here...

Well, I was TRYING to make a joke. (I know, geeks shouldn't even try) cry

Last time I heard POS, it meant Point Of Sale. As in hand-held cashier's credit-card reader.

Now don't get POSsed-off here. (ok ok, I'll stop).
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 09:02 PM
Oh, guys, I'm not pissed. I just don't want this prolonged any further than it already has been.

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm headed out the door to see if I can walk 22 miles... eek laugh wink
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
Oh, guys, I'm not pissed. I just don't want this prolonged any further than it already has been.

Now, if y'all will excuse me, I'm headed out the door to see if I can walk 22 miles... eek laugh wink
That should be a POC (piece of cake or cookie whatever you prefer) for you, MooseTracks!

Anyhoo...I am gettin' the POS outta here (Preferred Outside Setting)

Have fun.
Posted By: KevinR Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 10:07 PM
It is REI's Anniversary Sale (founded May 1938).

You should have received an REI catalog in the mail. On the back, there is a coupon for 20% off everything (except for items that end with a $._6 or $._9) If you get emails from REI, you should be getting that coupon, too.

One item I noticed in the catalog was the camping kitchen. Regular $109. On sale for $79! Do I want it? Nah. Negotiations are ongoing with my wife to persuade her for me to get it!

Thanks.

Am not sure whether I got the catalog or not - most of them don't make it past the PO lobby ...

Spoke too soon - the catalog arrived today.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Sale - 05/18/10 11:44 PM
Gary, check your PM smile
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Sale - 05/19/10 02:30 PM
Bulldog34: Checked.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program...

I erred...anything ending with $._3 or $._9 is NOT on sale. Didn't read the fine print on the coupon. Had to get out my glasses.

Talked with wifey-pooh...she is going to let me get a new wicking shirt! HOW BOUT THAT!

You see, I have this chartreuse yellow shirt from REI. She hates it. Won't be seen in public with me. Won't even let me wear it to bed! I can't even wear it when we hike or camp! I can't wear it when I do the yard work...But, honey! cry

Anyhoo, I was going to wear it tonight (05-19-10) for the monthly WHA Westend Gang at Sequoia Brewery with Steve C and Wagga and Ynottony for some All U Can Eat RIBS! Hah, take that, MoooseTracks...stab stab stab...skewer...skewer...skewer. grin

Should have seen the look I got when I took it out of the closet. Yes, I hang up my T-shirts...at least my wife hangs up my T-shirts...

Anyhoo...

Sounds like a good deal if I can also get a wicking T. BTW, she gets to pick the color.

Have fun!

PS: Didn't anyone realize it was the 30th anniversary of Mt. St. Helens blowing its lid? OBE (overcome by events)
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/21/10 06:05 PM
WOOHOO!

Say goodbye, or is it good buy(?) to the dividend or the divibeginning?

Yes, too much time on my hands today.

Have fun.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/22/10 11:17 AM
Hope you made out like a bandit 'Tude! Let us know what new toys you added to your collection.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/22/10 01:02 PM
Mission accomplished!

REI red wicking T-shirt and a Sahara Shirt for me

Socks and two shirts and assorted energy bars for wifey-pooh!

Got the Zlites! Two of them! One for each of us!

And guess what?

They're chartreuse yellow in color!

My wifey-pooh is doomed! grin

Vengeance is MINE!

Wifey-pooh noted: At least they're grey on the other side!

My wife and her + @ti2d! Not me, her mindset!

Have fun...
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/22/10 02:44 PM
Got the Zlites! Two of them! One for each of us!And guess what? They're chartreuse yellow in color!

That's the other thing about my Z-Lite I can do without - the screaming yellow color. Nice to have during hunting season, though . . .

Glad you had a blast. REI (and similar) is about the only place I enjoy shopping. I do all the rest on-line and stay away from being malled.
Posted By: KevinR Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/22/10 05:32 PM
And guess what?

They're chartreuse yellow in color!

My wifey-pooh is doomed! grin

Vengeance is MINE!

Sounds like you might be in line for a refresher course at the Female Academy... wink
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/22/10 09:53 PM
I see Laura has ESB company . . .
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/24/10 03:22 PM
...That's the other thing about my Z-Lite I can do without - the screaming yellow color. Nice to have during hunting season, though . . .
Don't know about taking it hunting...might scare the feral pigs, turkey, or the deer if they saw me coming! grin

Originally Posted By: KevinR
Sounds like you might be in line for a refresher course at the Female Academy... wink

Naw, I buy her flowers when she does not expect it (no guilty conscience), I make her a hot cup of Japanese green tea every workday as she gets ready, I always open the door for her to get in the car (gentleman I and Marine Corps officer, too), I email her while both of us are at work everyday (I send first)... smile

Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Female Academy! Got that Master's Degree in Chivalry. grin

And we both pack heat and she is a better shot than I so I have to be on my "bestest" behavior!
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/24/10 05:12 PM
...That's the other thing about my Z-Lite I can do without - the screaming yellow color. Nice to have during hunting season, though . . .
Don't know about taking it hunting...might scare the feral pigs, turkey, or the deer if they saw me coming! grin

Should'a clarified that a little better. I don't hunt, but I backpack during hunting season. That bright yellow Z-Lite outside my bright red pack makes me feel a tad safer - unless some drunk hunter mistakes me through the brush for a peacock . . .
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/24/10 05:44 PM

Should'a clarified that a little better. I don't hunt, but I backpack during hunting season. That bright yellow Z-Lite outside my bright red pack makes me feel a tad safer - unless some drunk hunter mistakes me through the brush for a peacock . . .

Good thing I am a "lousy" shot...and I don't drink when I hunt. wink
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 05:30 AM
Dragging this thread back ON topic... wink

I dropped into the local REI to find a Thermarest NeoAir small. But it's an on-line only item!!! ...Oh well, it's now on its way!
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 02:46 PM
Dragging this thread back ON topic... wink

I dropped into the local REI to find a Thermarest NeoAir small. But it's an on-line only item!!! ...Oh well, it's now on its way!

Okay...sorry...conduct unbecoming of a WHA member...don't wanna be a WSB.

Anyhoo...

Hopefully you knew that for orders over $75.00 you can now have it delivered to your home or office for FREE...That's right...FREE for REI Members only! Exclusions apply. How bout that!

Have fun!

BTW...love the color! Wifey-pooh doesn't like it...not one bit...no she doesn't.

Hope you used your 20%!
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 03:58 PM
Well I didn't know about the free shipping part. ...next time!

But since the store is close enough, I opted to pick it up there. It's always been free to have it shipped to a store.

Yeah, I thought about your wife's aversion to that color. It's pretty bright, with a hint of green.

And yes, I used the 20% PLUS my dividend. cool

(And this is the Chat Room. Drifting topics are quite ok.)
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 04:05 PM
Well I didn't know about the free shipping part. ...next time!

But since the store is close enough, I opted to pick it up there. It's always been free to have it shipped to a store.

Yeah, I thought about your wife's aversion to that color. It's pretty bright, with a hint of green.

And yes, I used the 20% PLUS my dividend. cool

(And this is the Chat Room. Drifting topics are quite ok.)

Glad you brought me along, huh?!

Gotta maintain my coordinates, er, I mean, bearing...
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 05:31 PM
Ordered the NeoAir/regular this morning using my 20%, and elected free shipping. Steve sold me. It packs smaller and lighter than my Z-Lite, and is undoubtedly a helluva lot more comfortable. $127 total, but I'm willing to pay extra for a decent sleep.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 05:40 PM
Gary, congrats on the purchase! I am sure you will enjoy it.

I've been using the short version of sleeping pads for years, since it saves a few ounces. All I do is fold my hiking pants and maybe a coat for the area under my legs and feet. I have never wished for any cushioning in that area.

The only time this method would not work is when it is super cold (maybe around 20F, or sleeping on snow). You should try it.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 07:23 PM
Looking forward to it Steve. I appreciate the personal experience 411 on it last week - it's why I chose it.

I always use a full-size pad - not necessarily because I'm a sleep-snob, but because of an experience a few years ago. I was using a piss-poor, thin pad on a one-nighter, and I woke up next morning mostly off the pad and with a charley horse below my shoulder blade that was excruciating. Got progressively worse during the out-hike. By the time I got home I was a mess, and wound up missing a week of work 'cuz I could barely move. I've had broken bones that hurt less.

I'll pay a few extra dollars and carry a few extra ounces to avoid ever going through that again. The regular is only 5 ounces more than the small, so no biggie. Do you have the stuff-sack designed for it? I wasn't sure if it was worth another $15 when I suspect any smilar-size stuff-sack would work just as well. Am I missing something there?
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 08:57 PM
Since I'm a superlight snob...

I use a backpack that has NO padding or back support. So I use the mattress as an internal lining inside my pack.

I make a fan-fold setup with the mattress pad against my back.
Then stuff all the contents into the pack.
Then.... inflate the mattress as tight as possible.

This is my padding against my back plus the only stabilization for my pack.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 09:04 PM
Do I sense the presence of an ULB (Ultra-Light Bigot)? New acronym for your growing compendium, wagga.

So Steve, what weight do you typically carry for an overnighter?
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 10:03 PM
Do I sense the presence of an ULB (Ultra-Light Bigot)? New acronym for your growing compendium, wagga.

So Steve, what weight do you typically carry for an overnighter?

To the new folks: Gotta love this site. Grab your thesaurus, or google the word. Learn something new everyday.grin
Posted By: wagga Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/26/10 10:21 PM
Steve is certainly a ULB. And he's contagious.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 05:38 AM
ULB chiming in... wink

I forget what I carried last summer on a 4-nighter, but I think it was about 24#.

With my son on a 2-nighter, I carried 17#. But he carried stove and other stuff, and his was at 24#.

He's got my pack and neoair ready to go on his PCT adventure, and he told me yesterday his "dry weight" was about 12 pounds.

I'm about to order a new ZPack from ZPacks.com ...June 1st, I'll be the first to hit the submit button! My pack weighs 7 oz with all the accessories I have them put on it.
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 04:23 PM
So I decided to try and take advantage of the REI anniversary sale and buy a Oregon Garmin 550T GPS but then I just find out that GPS is excluded from the sale so I try to find other coupon codes without luck but wait they do have a 50 dollar mail in rebate, well that still would only bring the cost down to 550 dollars then the tax came out to 50 dollars! so I said the hell with this and went to Amazon and they had the 550T listed for 520 dollars and no tax charged! whistle

Sorry REI lol
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 04:28 PM
And as for the light weight discussion you should consider that Zpacks Hexamid I posted awhile ago Steve, I finally got mine and have used it a couple times, light as a feather at 10 total ounces! grin

Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 04:35 PM
Since I'm a superlight snob...

I use a backpack that has NO padding or back support. So I use the mattress as an internal lining inside my pack.

I make a fan-fold setup with the mattress pad against my back.
Then stuff all the contents into the pack.
Then.... inflate the mattress as tight as possible.

This is my padding against my back plus the only stabilization for my pack.

Now THAT is one determined ULB!
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 04:50 PM
> consider that Zpacks Hexamid

I have the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape. It doubles as tent and parka. 11 oz.

Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 10:23 PM
That thing is floorless which means no winged demon protection! the Hexamid is a fully inclosed shelter and even though it has a netting for the floor it's so fine that dirt doesn't really come through.

Now if you want to buy the Hexamid without the floor it comes in at under 5 ounces. grin
Posted By: CMC2 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/27/10 10:51 PM
I believe I just set an all time LOW for usage of the 20% Anniversary Sale Coupon at REI.

Disclosure: I have been a member almost 50 years. Thus I have everything I need, maybe two of each. After wandering
the REI aisles for almost an hour, I gave up and bought a cheap REI large storage sack for our Queen sized down comforter. Cost : $9.50 and my savings at 20% was $1.90 !! Hate to waste a 20% deal. My wife, also a member, bought some $90 shoes and both my children are members and bought things they wanted. I at least got some of the REI sale catalog items, but can anyone beat a meager $1.90 saving?

I might add, I did buy some shoes during the March members sale but feel sort of worthless in not finding something better than a large storage sack this time.

Gary, you will love the Neo Air.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/28/10 06:05 AM
> That thing is floorless which means no winged demon protection!

What??? are you a Bug Wuss? grin

I carry 100% deet in those tiny spray containers. And if I am heading into mosquito territory, I've got one of those springy foldable head-nets. So at night, I am all covered except the hands. So I only need the deet for them.
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/28/10 01:21 PM
Last year I picked up the OR Nighthaven which isn't quite as light as the poncho-tarp thingie, but it's palatial for two people and has an optional floor. Actually, the edges of the walls fold back which does serve as a deterrent for most of the bastard winged specks of evilness.

And, of course, you can spot this thing from about 1/2 a mile away...

Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/28/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
What??? are you a Bug Wuss?

lol not exactly but last summer when I was out for weeks I decided not to use any deet because of how it eats up synthetic fabrics, I have even heard people having all the rubber on their camera being eaten away and at 2700 dollars for my camera body I said no way! but then I also saw some of the worst mosquitoes I have ever seen! having a tent to retreat to for eating and buzz free sleeping was just too nice!

I may give in this season and bring a small bottle of the 100% deet since I got like 15 packs for free and use it to spray on my shoulders because whenever the bugs were not too bad for my armor they would end up biting through my clothes on my shoulders.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/28/10 04:23 PM
I was carrying a container of deet in my pocket, and a pocket camera, too. At some point, a small amount of deet got on the camera, and it removed the painted-on switch markings.

Now I carry the repellent inside a ziploc, and make sure to clean my hands after rubbing it on.

It's a devil chemical, but what else works?
Posted By: KevinR Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 05/28/10 10:33 PM
Clothing treated with Permethrin is said to work well in repelling bugs, but I'm not sure if it's repellent qualities extend to one's face, neck, unprotected arms, etc. But, at least the little buggers won't bite thru the clothing.

As for DEET - I always put mine in a Ziplock, but now do a double Ziplock system. A few years ago the single Ziplock developed a small hole, and somehow the container was activated, and a small amount of DEET bored holes in my Precip jacket. Fortunately the holes were near the waist, so it didn't impact the usability of jacket.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/01/10 07:41 PM
I'm about to order a new ZPack from ZPacks.com ...June 1st, I'll be the first to hit the submit button! My pack weighs 7 oz with all the accessories I have them put on it.

Dang -- snooze and lose! I finally ordered the pack about noon today, and there is already a 6 week backlog on orders!

That guy needs to expand his business.
Posted By: Rod Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/01/10 10:11 PM
Can't you just seran wrap your stuff to your back Steve? That's what the zpack looks like.

They actually look pretty awesome if they are comfortable and carry weight well balanced.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/02/10 12:15 AM
wagga . . . seriously dude . . . gotta get "ULB" in the Abbrevia. Or ULS. Maybe that's better - UltraLight Snob. Steve is obsessed, man. He wants to haul all his measured-to-the-gram UL stuff in a glorified grocery sack - which he's standing in a long to pay $160 for. The ULs are takin' over.
Posted By: MooseTracks Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/02/10 12:37 AM
Not if I can help it... mad
Posted By: wagga Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/02/10 01:24 AM
Bulldog:

OK you asked for it. I'm sending you the entire Abbrevia via PM.
I'm up against a deadline for getting code out, so it's all yours to alphabetize/spell-check/edit/link till Friday.

Have fun.
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/02/10 02:40 AM
Uh, gee wagga, it's pretty late here on the east coast - y'know, that 3-hour time difference and all <simulated, highly expressive yawn>. It's PMBT . . .
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/02/10 05:42 AM
> It's PMBT . . .

How come I recognized that abbreviation instantly? grin
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/03/10 11:13 PM
My REI anniversary sale stuff arrived today - the NeoAir mattress (man is it small!!!) and my new REI Flash 65 multi-day pack. The Flash 65 is about 4100 ci, but it's incredibly light. My old overnight pack was a Kelty with less capacity, and it weighs a lot more than this sleek REI pack. I know it was a 2009 Backpackers Choice pack, and at first blush there's a lot I like about it. Anyone out there own a Flash 65 and have opinions?

Just may have to head to the mountains this weekend and give this new gear a trial run!
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/04/10 06:08 AM
It looks like a nice pack, Gary. I'm sure it will be more comfortable than my plastic garbage sack with straps.   wink

> Just may have to head to the mountains this weekend and give this new gear a trial run!

Just watch for those drunken grizzlies.

...And stay DRY!
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/26/10 02:53 PM
Steve, you'd be proud of me - got my base weight for Whitney down to less than 20 pounds with this pack. That includes a full tent, a 20-degree bag, JetBoil, a (real) water filter, the NeoAir, and all the other misc stuff I plan to take with me. Minus food and water - 18.9 pounds.

Am I in the UL Kool Klub yet?
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/26/10 04:39 PM
Well, I'd say below 20 pounds is commendable.

UL Kool Klub it is!
Posted By: DUG Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/26/10 07:27 PM
The Flash 65 is a monster huge pack. I usually use the Flash 30 for a huge day hike or an overnighter and the Flash 45 for those huge hikes (with the top removed).

LMK when you get your weight under 20 pounds WITH food and water. smile

..............................................DUG
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI Anniversary Sale - 06/27/10 02:55 AM
DUG, ain't never gonna happen with food and water, but if I can hit the trail on the 1st Whitney day with 25 pounds I'll be a happy camper. The cool thing about the Flash is that on summit day I can strip out the internal frame and have a super-lightweight daypack for just the essentials. I'm sure the marmots will be great caretakers of what I leave behind at Trail Camp . . .

I'll never be in the same UL class as Steve and Brett - I love my Quarterdome UL too much, and a filter is a must for me - but I don't think I've ever hit the trail for an overnighter with a base weight that low. This Flash is easily two pounds ligher than my old Kelty, but holds a lot more. Also, the NeoAir mattress might as well be a bag of feathers.
© WhitneyZone Message Board