Mt Whitney Zone
finally got around to putting some photos into a proper gallery - captions=trip report, I guess.

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/gallery/sierra_2011spring/index.html
Mousie must have pointed the camera in the wrong direction for the Mt. Whitney picture. It is a great photo from Rogers Peak, but the mountain in the center is Mount Sill. Unfortunately, Mt. Whitney did not get in the picture. If you would like me to label the other mountains in the photo, please let me know. Beautiful photo though, especially when Mt. Sill is nearly 100 miles from Rogers. Mt. Whitney is only 72 miles away, but to the left of the photo.
Originally Posted By: Wayne
Mousie must have pointed the camera in the wrong direction for the Mt. Whitney picture. It is a great photo from Rogers Peak, but the mountain in the center is Mount Sill. Unfortunately, Mt. Whitney did not get in the picture. If you would like me to label the other mountains in the photo, please let me know. Beautiful photo though, especially when Mt. Sill is nearly 100 miles from Rogers. Mt. Whitney is only 72 miles away, but to the left of the photo.

Mousie is from Wisconsin - what does he know? grin

not sure which photo you are talking about - the one in the early morning light from the Kilns? I was just guessing there and don't think I even went beyond calling it "southern sierra" an not Whitney.

This frame I labeled to be Whitney is Whitney for sure, trust me on that one. Zooming out and down to the right, I can see the portal road, etc. Sill is WAY off to the right of this frame and can be found on other frames not in the gallery.

Sill is somewhere in this fuzzy far right corner of the entire panorama - about where you find the Palisades, I guess. zoom out and over ot the left and you'll get back to the frame I labeled Whitney in the trip report.

Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
This frame I labeled to be Whitney is Whitney for sure, trust me on that one. Zooming out and down to the right, I can see the portal road, etc. Sill is WAY off to the right of this frame and can be found on other frames not in the gallery.

Is that Lone Pine Peak near the left of the photo?
Mt. Sill is like Mt. Whitney's little brother it terms of looks.
the one labeled as Whitney enlarged/cropped and with more contrast:

Fishmonger, yep, looks like you nailed it. I'm wrong about Mt. Sill. Good work...and photography!
© WhitneyZone Message Board