Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Bob R Whitney Trail, June 22 & 23 - 06/25/11 02:21 PM
I started up from the Portal at noon on Wednesday. My pack was extraordinarily heavy (19 lb) because, being alone, I had no help with the bear canister, stove, etc.

There were only infrequent small patches of snow on the trail until just below Trailside Meadow. Then it was constant snow the rest of the way. There were several parties camped in the slabs east of Trail Camp, but only a couple at Trail Camp itself.

I took a bivy sack, but ended up only using it for a ground cloth because the night was so balmy. It didn't get close to freezing, and I was cozy in my 40 deg Marmot Atom.

On Thursday, I left camp around 7:00 and reached Trail Crest in a couple of hours, having been passed by several youngsters. (At my age, everyone else is a youngster.) Some were outfitted properly with ice ax and crampons, but others had neither. And some of the latter didn't even have hiking poles; they climbed up the slope on all fours. I worried about whether they would be able to descend safely, but all went well I guess and there were no bad outcomes by the time I left the area.

There were tracks of people who had tried the switchbacks, but bailed after the cables section. I'm guessing that it will be around 3 - 4 weeks before the switchbacks can be done safely by most.

Details are in my pictures and their captions.

39 Last sun
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: Whitney Trail, June 22 & 23 - 06/25/11 03:24 PM
Bob, phenomenal pics.

Thank you for taking pictures of the "Fountain of Youth."

With your permission, I would like to "borrow" some of your pictures of the FoY et al. for my REI Fresno presentation. I promise to put them back!

Since your photos show the most current conditions and with the second REI on July 11, I feel this will give those first-timers in attendance a first hand look at current conditions.

As for them younguns, they probably had no idea as to who you were. Had they known (maybe you introduced yourself to them since you had your ranger regalia donned), my how their worlds would change talking with you during and after the hke.

Yes, hopefully some of that snow will melt by 3-4 weeks and that the SBs will be clear.

Take care.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whitney Trail, June 22 & 23 - 06/25/11 04:20 PM
Bob,

I really enjoy going through your pictures, thanks for taking time to do all those captions - I know it takes a while. It's interesting to look at the way other people handle water/gear/etc, especially someone with so many miles under his feet. I'd be interested to see if I could make do with a 19 pound pack, my cold weather climbs have me carrying just shy of 50 lbs. Lot's of shaving to do.

This bivy you've got, it looks like it could be one made by that gent from SAR that has created a few designs - I think Doug has one in the shop. Is that correct?
Posted By: mja Re: Whitney Trail, June 22 & 23 - 06/26/11 12:58 PM
Bob

Great pictures and thanks for the TR.

Went up the MWMT last weekend with my nephew and he surprised me by pointing out the "purest water on the planet" as we neared Outpost Camp. Your experience and trip reports are reaching a new generation.

Mike from Ohio
Posted By: Steve C Re: Whitney Trail, June 22 & 23 - 06/27/11 04:22 AM
And reaching all across the country! I have a link to a northeastern Meetup group that is coming out to do Whitney in two weeks. The group leader has alerted everyone on the trip to Bob's pictures.
© WhitneyZone Message Board