Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Steve C REI trip to Patagonia - 03/06/12 03:22 PM
Nobody commented on rpm's pictures posted in the Picture Gallery from his trip to Patagonia. I am re-posting them here.

All I can say is WOW! That place is spectacular!

Click on each picture for the full-size view.

Posted By: mrshherrera Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/06/12 03:46 PM
I saw the original post but I think I was waiting/wanting more, or a TR.

I also thought WOW!! I pulled up a map (because I had no idea where it was) showed my husband the pictures and quickly decided this place has to go on the bucket list!!

RPM, amazing pictures! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/06/12 03:56 PM
Maybe we can get RPM to describe his trip a little more...
Posted By: CMC2 Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/06/12 05:33 PM
Spent a week in Patagonia area Dec 95/Jan96 while waiting out the weather for a flight to the South Pole. The pictures are marvelous but don't capture all the splender, you have to be there!!

Highly recommend a trip there whether you trek or climb.
Posted By: Lilbitmo Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/06/12 06:36 PM
That last picture with stacked colors is amazing, wish I could go there and see the rest, please do post a TR RPM, look forward to the details smile
Posted By: RoguePhotonic Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/07/12 12:52 AM
When I saw these I thought for the first time that they are so crazy they look fake.
Posted By: rpm Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/10/12 01:20 AM
I've been out of town all week and saw I got a few responses. I included some more information with the pictures I posted. It was an awesome trip. I took those pictures with a simple digital camera. The trip consisted of spending a few days in small towns or villages and day hiking at each location. A few days were spent driving to different national parks in Argentina and Chile. A person could easily make a week long trip of staying in El Chalten and doing several day hikes in the area. Hiking/camping permits are not required, but that will probably change within the next few years.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/10/12 02:30 AM
rpm, thanks for posting.

For others' information, here is what rpm posted in the Picture Gallery with his pictures:
Originally Posted By: rpm
A few people sent me messages asking questions about my rei Patagonia trip. It was a two week trip in both Argentina and Chile. We basically stayed at small towns or villages for a few days and did days hikes each day. My favorite town was El Chalten. A few of the days were spent driving between national parks or hiking locations. I also went on the rei Everest base camp trip a couple years ago. The Patagonia trip was much easier and more "touristy". We had a great guide/driver, there were a total of 14 people in the group.

The cost of the trip was 5K+plus plane tickets. This trip is very doable on your own and would be much less expensive. The national parks do not require permits for hiking and backpacking, but that will probably change soon. The campgrounds used by backpackers were overcrowded and not very attractive in some locations.

If you want a really intense trip, there is a loop trip that include the ice cap on the west side of Fitz Roy.
Posted By: rpm Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/10/12 12:10 PM
If you are interested in exploring this area, be prepared for windy, brisk conditions. I dont' think the temp got above 60 degrees and there was always a strong breeze. Two hikes were in very windy conditions, 35-50 mph (but the best pictures at those locations).
Posted By: Bulldog34 Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/10/12 11:32 PM
Those are four of the absolute best non-professional landscape photos I've ever seen. Awesome job, rpm! I agree - Patagonia sounds like a great bucket list entry.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/13/12 10:31 AM
Photo 4 appears to show a massive thick layer of pumice...

Must have been one helluva volcanic blast.

Do note the under and over strata of the "white" area.
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/13/12 12:26 PM
That prominent light colored band caught my eye too. So... searching "geology Cuernos del Paine",
it turns up this from Wikipedia: Torres del Paine National Park
Quote:
Orogenic and erosional processes have shaped the present-day topography, glacial erosion being the main one responsible for the sculpturing of the massif in the last tens of thousands of years. A good example of the latter are the Cuernos del Paine, whose central bands of exposed granite strongly contrast with the dark aspect of their tops, which are remnants of a heavily eroded sedimentary stratum. In the case of Las Torres, what once was their overlying sedimentary rock layer has been completely eroded away, leaving behind the more resistant granite.
Posted By: + @ti2d Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/14/12 04:10 AM
Dang Wikipedia...There goes my credentials as a geologist...I swear it looks like pumice! grin
Posted By: Lzpup Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/18/12 12:25 PM
Looks like you got great weather when you were there. My fav place on earth, thanks for posting the great photos
Posted By: CaT Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/23/12 09:53 PM
My brother-in-law just got back from a guided (Sobek) multi-day hike/tour in Patagonia. I haven't connected with him yet since he just got back in town yesterday, but I'm sure I'll hear about it. I know he was excited to go there. His dad (my late father-in-law) also went there some years ago, and loved it.

CaT
Posted By: Steve C Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 03/23/12 10:04 PM
Please... if you can get any pictures from him, we'd love to see them!
Posted By: saltydog Re: REI trip to Patagonia - 05/12/12 07:48 PM
Almost ashamed to admit it, but I was in Puerto Natales for two weeks last fall (spring down there) working within sight of the Balmaceda Glacier, across the street from the Sondo Ultima Esperanza, and didn't get in a single day of hiking. Due to national strike, labor was very hard to come by, and the three days I had built in to hit the Torres and Cuernos got eaten up. It is truly unbelievable unless seen, and a trip not to be missed . Except apparently, by me.

Main feature here is the Balmaceda, from a distance of about 100km. Behind it hidden form view is the Torres del Paine, Cuernos Mt Fitzroy etc etc etc.
© WhitneyZone Message Board