Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Brett Dean Trail Camp/Summit - 06/23/13 10:08 PM
Any chance someone could give me the current (estimated) night, morning and day temps at Trail Camp? And maybe summit?

Thanks
Posted By: John Sims Re: Trail Camp/Summit - 06/23/13 10:24 PM
Look to the left side of this page, and you will see a "Mt. Whitney Weather" link. Click on the link, and then select either Whitney Portal, or Whitney Summit. Looks to be high in the upper 50s, lows in the mid 30s. You can click on the map to the right of these weather pages and reposition the area of interest. Normal drop in temp/1000' is ~3 degrees "C", or ~5 "F", although the NOAA weather site does not show this drop. I'd suggest being prepared for mid 30s during the night. Also note the chance of rain or snow on Monday.
Posted By: Brett Dean Re: Trail Camp/Summit - 06/23/13 11:04 PM
Thanks John

The NOAA link does help, and I've used it and the calculation before, I was hoping to get an temp report from a an actual person thats recently spent a few days up in that area.

Kind regards
Posted By: JorgeP(arg) Re: Trail Camp/Summit - 06/24/13 05:55 AM
I was sleeping at Trail Camp last Wednesday with an estimated temps of 54 / 36 F. but when I woke up around 7:00 am water was frozen near the tent and an hour later at the switchbacks. The night before was very windy even at Outpost Camp.
I summited at 1:00 pm under a bright and cold day using base layer, fleece and windbreaker.
Posted By: Brett Dean Re: Trail Camp/Summit - 06/24/13 02:01 PM
Thank you, this is very helpful.

Originally Posted By: JorgeP(arg)
I was sleeping at Trail Camp last Wednesday with an estimated temps of 54 / 36 F. but when I woke up around 7:00 am water was frozen near the tent and an hour later at the switchbacks. The night before was very windy even at Outpost Camp.
I summited at 1:00 pm under a bright and cold day using base layer, fleece and windbreaker.
© WhitneyZone Message Board