Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Granola Mountaineer's Route - 06/30/18 02:07 PM
It was a long day but totally worth it.
The Granola Chronicles

White Mountain Peak a couple of days before. The granola Chronicles

Thanks again to this forum. It was a tremendous resource!

Cheers!

Tom
Posted By: Panorama Paul Re: Mountaineer's Route - 06/30/18 06:42 PM
Did you take long enough on top to really take in the view? You might want to remember the names of the other peaks: https://www.summitpost.org/labeled-mount-whitney-panorama/1002719/c-841725 . FREE Download before your trek, go on-line while on top AND/OR buy a 2x3-foot fine print from https://www.panoramapaul.com/ .
Posted By: futbol Re: Mountaineer's Route - 06/30/18 07:14 PM

Nice blog post!

Quote:
I learned a valuable lesson when we picked up the permit. Apparently you have to re-confirm your permit two weeks before your entry date after you've already won it though the lottery and accepted and paid for it. Well, I didn't know that. The ranger dude was cool about it and said its not a problem and happens all the time.

This is the first time I've heard of this. Is it new?

Quote:
We got some funny looks from all the people up on the summit since we'd come up from the opposite direction of the trail. There were a lot of people in fact, but we weren't too surprised. There was a guy flying a drone, and, uh, yeah, I gave it the finger. Two in fact. Come on man!

Yup. Drones don't belong on this trail.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Mountaineer's Route - 07/01/18 12:37 AM
Quote:
I learned a valuable lesson when we picked up the permit. Apparently you have to re-confirm your permit two weeks before your entry date after you've already won it though the lottery and accepted and paid for it. Well, I didn't know that. The ranger dude was cool about it and said its not a problem and happens all the time.

> "This is the first time I've heard of this. Is it new?"

Well, it's more complicated...

If you don't show up in time to pick up your reservation by the pick-up deadline (noon the day before), and you haven't re-confirmed it online, they hand out your reserved slots to anyone who shows up and asks for one. Slots confirmed online in the last two weeks are never given out to others.

Granola didn't say, but I will assume he showed up after the noon deadline. The reason it was no problem is that there are plenty of no-shows this time of year, so pretty easy to pick up a walk-in permit. On weekends (Friday/Saturday) late July and mid-August it might not be as easy.
Posted By: BFR Re: Mountaineer's Route - 07/01/18 12:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C

If you don't show up in time to pick up your reservation by the pick-up deadline (noon the day before), and you haven't re-confirmed it online, they hand out your reserved slots to anyone who shows up and asks for one.

I thought it was 2pm.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Mountaineer's Route - 07/01/18 08:29 PM
2 pm is when they become available for walk-in requests. I'm guessing they have a pad of time (12 - 2) so someone can go through and identify all the no-shows.
© WhitneyZone Message Board