Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Rix Animals, rodents, critters - 08/29/18 07:13 PM
Hi all,

We're a group of 4 on our first hike on Mt. Whitney trail tomorrow Aug. 30th. We plan on setting up tents at Outpost Camp and hiking up to summit from camp early the next day (31st).

With regard to bears & other animals; after securing all our food items, trash, toothpaste, etc. in bear canisters, is it best to store the canisters inside the tent, outside away from tent or does it matter? I've also read about rodents and other critters that can possibly tear through our tent & packs looking for food. What can we do to minimize potential invasion & destruction of our stuff?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback that can help with this concern.

Rick
Posted By: Wiff Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 08/29/18 09:23 PM
Leave the bear can outside and away from the tent. If you are keeping the tent up, leave it open and roll up your sleeping bag. Marmots are very bold.
Posted By: Rix Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 08/30/18 02:32 AM
Very much appreciate your suggestions, very helpful indeed.
Posted By: hiiker Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 08/30/18 10:22 PM
I second what Wiff said but may I suggest you leave anything open that you leave behind, such as your main pack. Unzip and unbutton everything.

I've personally never heard of anyone having a problem with a critter eating thru something but why take the chance.

Enjoy your climb.
Posted By: Kascadia Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 08/30/18 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: hiiker
I've personally never heard of anyone having a problem with a critter eating thru something but why take the chance.

I take it you've never encountered the Pac NW snafflehound?
Posted By: AndyC Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 08/31/18 02:36 AM
Also be aware that marmots are pooportunists. They can, will, and do crap on everything.
Posted By: Wiff Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 08/31/18 04:56 PM
I accidentally left the tiniest atom of trail mix in my pack at Trail Camp. Marmot ate an entry AND exit hole through the new tent, chewed up the pack, and crapped on everything. I swear I could hear them laughing when I got back.
Posted By: wagga Re: Animals, rodents, critters - 09/01/18 02:13 AM
Just feel lucky you don't have Uromys.

"The Giant White-tailed Rat loves to chew all sorts of materials such as plastic, rubber, electrical wires, leather, tin and canvas. They will often bite cans open and consume the contents. Some people even believe the rats can read the labels! They have been known to damage and disable vehicles too by biting through fan belts and water hoses."
© WhitneyZone Message Board