Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: jackeichler Alta Peak/Sequoia - Oct 25 - 10/26/20 03:42 PM
Did a quick trip up to Sequoia this weekend. Hiked up the Lakes Trail, via the "Watchtower" loop, up to Pear Lake (the Watchtower is a pretty impressive climbing wall, and the trail from there to the lakes basin gives you great views of the Kaweah River drainage; definitely worth taking that loop). Camped there, then ascended the drainage on the north side of Pear Lake, traversed across the granite benches east of the lake, then gained the summit via the northeast ridge. Hiked down the Alta trail back to Wolverton. The air quality was near perfect. Had a crystal clear view of Whitney off to the east. Still some residual smoke in the fires in the Mineral King area, but they are not impacting the air quality in the region (at least based on visual inspection).

The ascent from Pear Lake was a fun class 2 climb that requires a little bit of route finding, and I have to say was much more enjoyable than the regular Alta trail. The summit block was a lot more interesting than expected. An easy scramble up, but there is some exposure so just a bit of pucker factor as you perch yourself on the summit block. The Lakes trail was pretty busy with people, and there were at least two dozen groups camping at Emerald Lake and Peark Lake. We had the summit to ourselves, and only saw three people going up the Alta trail Sunday on our descent.

Here is a shot from the summit that shows the air quality:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BXuCH5tB8hcc4YW19
Posted By: G4u2 Re: Alta Peak/Sequoia - Oct 25 - 10/27/20 05:52 AM
Thanks for the report. I've done Alta peak a couple of times. It's a fun "mini Whitney" hike from Wolverton. Your route sounds much more interesting though!

It's funny you mentioned the summit rock at Alta. The first time I was there there was too much snow even though I went in July, so I didn't get less than 100 yards from the summit. The second time the summit was snow-free, but I gave up getting to the register box on that final exposed move. That bolder looked slippery!
Posted By: jackeichler Re: Alta Peak/Sequoia - Oct 25 - 10/27/20 11:02 PM
Yea, that summit block was cool. Just enough slope to the west to make you watch your step, and to the east it was at least a 100 foot sheer drop. If you took a tumble to the west side though you would likely not be able to walk down the mountain...we left the packs at the base and just went up with water bottles.

I put in a picture of the Google Earth image of the GPX track from the top of the Pear Lake drainage to the summit in the link provided in the original post.
Posted By: Steve C Re: Alta Peak/Sequoia - Oct 25 - 10/28/20 05:16 AM
Great picture of Whitney! I did the loop, but in the opposite direction some years ago--long day hike!

I left my hiking poles at the base of the rock, and when I got back, marmots had chewed up the rubber hand grips. They must have tasted the salt from my hands. REI replaced the poles (Replace Everything Inc.) grin
© WhitneyZone Message Board