Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: NVG October 31st Halloween Day Summit - 11/01/22 06:33 PM
This is my first year climbing Mt. Whitney and I have been lucky enough to summit three times in 2022. A lot of this has been with the help of @bobpickering who has helped guide me from hiking and trail running to actual mountaineering. I climbed Whitney solo in February on the trail (if you can call it a trail in the winter), in April on the Mountaineers Route with Bob, and I had a permit for Nov 1 that I changed to the 31st due to this weather system. I' am extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to be up there so much this year.

There isn't a ton to report because of this new weather system coming in today, but at least it can give a base line of what the trail was looking like before the system.

Overall it was wide open; no real snow anywhere on the trail except extremely small spots up near the cables and switchbacks. But it was very very minimal and did not affect hiking. I saw about 12 people going up and was told that the night before three people got stuck in the shelter due to summiting too late. As I was coming down a chopper flew over my head towards the summit also, hopefully it was nothing. As I write this, there are people going up today that were camping when I came down. Hopefully they checked the weather because its about to change up there.

This was the first time I climbed Whitney where I could see the actual trail so it was an interesting experience. The day started off in the 30's, but up higher the wind made the temps drop a good bit. But the sun was high in the sky and kept everything where it should be. Overall another good day in the Whitney Zone.

Edit: Last pic: supposedly a company laser engraved a new Whitney summit sign.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]