Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: Fishmonger Gore-Tex repair - 09/20/11 02:38 PM
anyone ever use one of those Gore-Tex patch kits REI and other places are selling?

I have a 1" cut in the butt of my $$$ ArcTeryx pants and really no time to send to a pro repair shop. Will one of these patches last for a 2-week trip that may see a lot of use of those shell pants?

Or should I just put some gaffer tape on both sides and bring a few more strips just in case I peel it off? got duct tape in the fix kit, too.
Posted By: CMC2 Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/20/11 04:17 PM
Might consider trying Gorilla Tape on both sides of pants. I have found it is stronger and stays on longer than ordinary duct tape.
Posted By: KevinR Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 01:18 AM
Kenyon makes a Gore-Tex tape in different colors. It's very thin, sticky, and flexible. I got mine at EMS, although REI probably sells the same stuff/similar. It does work, and will last 2 weeks without a problem. It will eventually come off, but when it does - just reapply.
Posted By: So.BayMark Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 02:51 AM
Speaking of pro repair shop, where in los Angeles or send away, could I send my 3ply winter pants to shorten the length and take a inch in on the waist..

mark
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 01:03 PM
got what REI had in town - McNett makes it - seems thin enough. Sales dude told me to use as much heat and pressure as I dare to use on the garment. Well, going to try it tonight with the blow dryer. I don't own an iron and am proud of it ;-)
Posted By: wagga Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
I don't own an iron and am proud of it ;-)

What is this "iron" you speak of?
Posted By: Steve C Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 04:31 PM
Fishmonger> I don't own an iron and am proud of it ;-)

wagga> What is this "iron" you speak of?

I don't play golf either.   smile
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: wagga

Posted By: KevinR Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: So.BayMark
Speaking of pro repair shop, where in los Angeles or send away, could I send my 3ply winter pants to shorten the length and take a inch in on the waist..

mark

I'd ask that question of a drycleaner's shop. They usually have arrangements with a seamstress.
Posted By: Fishmonger Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 09:49 PM
for proper repair, I'll be sending my pants to this outfit:

http://www.rainypass.com/
Posted By: dbd Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/21/11 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger
Originally Posted By: wagga

That must be one of those snowshoe waxing irons. The iron I use for waxing my snow skiis is smoother than that.

Dale B. Dalrymple
Posted By: So.BayMark Re: Gore-Tex repair - 09/22/11 01:20 AM
Thanks fishmonger, pants will be in the mail next week...

mark
© WhitneyZone Message Board