Mt Whitney Zone
Posted By: 63ChevyII.com Gear Review: Hillsound Trail Crampons - 12/29/14 04:08 PM
Here is my initial review of Hillsound Trail Crampons. The review will get updated as I log more miles on them. Does anyone have any experience regarding the durability of Hillsound products?

Gear Review: Hillsound Trail Crampons
Posted By: KevinR Re: Gear Review: Hillsound Trail Crampons - 12/30/14 11:19 AM
The durability of the Hillsounds is good - about the same as Kahtoolas. Have used (and worn out) a couple of pairs of each brand. The Hillsounds have slightly longer spikes, and more in the heel, than Kahtoolas, which are the reasons I like them better. They also have a strap over the instep, so they rarely fall off/slip (an occasional problem with the Kahtoolas). The model Hillsound also comes in a few flavors - I prefer the one with the stainless steel teeth rather than the chrome-moly plate.

Hillsound also makes a slightly more aggressive version called the Trail Crampon Pro (http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon-pro/). The length of the teeth are in between those of the ones above and a standard alpine crampons, like the Grivel G10 or the BD Contact Strap. The advantage of these is that with the shorter teeth you tend to trip less/catch clothing, and they weigh less. While not a replacement for a G10/G12 general alpine crampon, for some locations in the country where winter hiking is popular they're all that's necessary in icy/hardpacked conditions.
Thanks for the input Kevin. I have heard great things about the Trail Crampon Pro. I am hoping to get my hands on a set of them soon.

The binding system on the Trail Crampon Pro looks great and the points look aggressive enough to handle any of the terrain I cover. Their line of gaiters looks good too.
I've noticed there's some confusion regarding the different products Hillsound makes. Here's a link to a table I made showing the differences:

http://www.hikinggeek.com/2015/01/05/hillsound-equipments-winter-traction-devices/

I hope it helps eliminate some of the confusion.
Thanks for this information. I did not know about these. I have only used Kahtoola Microspikes.

Never had them come off despite use in Virgina mountains on one snow and ice steep hike, California Mt Baldy in snow 4000 ft up and down with Doug Thompson in 2012, and this year for a day in Nepal on the Cho La.

The Hillsound safety strap reminds me of the simple lesson I just learned. I put on my gaiter first, then the Microspikes. Stupid. I watched as my friend put on first his Microspikes, then the gaiter. The gaiter strap wraps under the arch of the boot. Placed on last, this is like an unofficial safety strap for the Microspike.
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
I watched as my friend put on first his Microspikes, then the gaiter. The gaiter strap wraps under the arch of the boot. Placed on last, this is like an unofficial safety strap for the Microspike.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that! My friend that had a microspike come off did not have gaiters at the time. During that trip he saw how useful they are. He owns a pair now. grin
© WhitneyZone Message Board