Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3294 Members
13 Forums
5363 Topics
49703 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#52605 - 02/13/18 08:02 AM xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin
Yoseman Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I am looking at doing a xcountry stretch from Charlotte lk. area through 60 lks. Basin - Gardiner Basin - Lakes Basin and meeting back up with the JMT somewhere in the Palisade Basin/ Le Conte Canyon area. I am thinking of 3-5 nights along the route with some peak bagging along the way. Mt. Bago, Mt. Gardiner ect.....I appreciate any route help!

Edited by Yoseman (02/13/18 03:00 PM)

#52613 - 02/13/18 11:50 AM Re: xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin [Re: Yoseman]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Yoseman, have you hiked anywhere in the Sierra, or is this your first trip? Unless you can fly, there is no way possible to cover in 1-2 nights anything between Charlotte Lake and Palisade Basin. Forget climbing any peaks, just covering the JMT from Charlotte up to Leconte is a 2-3 day hike, and that's if you're fast.

Hiking off-trails, over uncharted passes and canyons, is something only the most experienced hikers would attempt.

#52615 - 02/13/18 02:58 PM Re: xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin [Re: Steve C]
Yoseman Offline

no the 1-2 nights was only for the Gardiner/60 lks. area.......and yeah I have about 600 miles in Yosemite and about 300 in Seki mostly on the western side. When I did the HST and then looped back around to Lodgepole 2 years ago I decided to stop putting off the JMT but the more I look at it the more I want to see along the way. I am most likely going to split the trip in 2 so I can do all the extra stuff.

#52617 - 02/13/18 04:31 PM Re: xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin [Re: Yoseman]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
Ah, sorry about my BIG misunderstanding! You know the Sierra well, then. If you're looking for routes alternate to the JMT, you might also google "Big SeKi Loop". It covers less-traveled parts.

If you haven't climbed the southern Sierra Fourteeners, they are all accessible from the JMT. Beyond that, I need to defer to more enthusiastic cross-country hikers. I'm just not sure where you would cover much of the area north of Paradise Valley. The Kings Canyon drainage looks really gnarly from the topo maps.

#52621 - 02/14/18 01:10 PM Re: xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin [Re: Steve C]
Maverick Offline

Loc: CA
Yes, you can do it crosscountry, from the top of Glen Pass head north west to Rae Col into 60 Lakes Basin>60 Lakes Col>King Col>White Fork Pass or Explorer Pass>Cartridge Pass>Dumbbell Pass>Cataract Pass and down to Deer Meadow to get back on the JMT.
This is at least 5-6 days, you must have a solid class 3 crosscountry pass experience, with a pack, to even consider doing it!
White Fork Pass is easier than Explorer Pass, but the Window Creek/Window Lake drainage is spectacular. King Col is listed as a class 2, but it is a nasty class 3, northern side of Dumbbell and Cataract Passes are solid class 2's and not be taken lightly either.

Edited by Maverick (02/14/18 04:06 PM)

#52624 - 02/15/18 01:49 PM Re: xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin [Re: Steve C]
Yoseman Offline

no problem at all, I would've thought the same thing reading it. I think I came across Big Seki loop before I will look it up. Thanks!

#52625 - 02/15/18 01:52 PM Re: xcountry route-Gardiner Basin-Lakes Basin to Palisade Basin [Re: Maverick]
Yoseman Offline

Thanks for the Heads up Maverick, being solo I will look for slightly more melo xc maybe not go in as deep. Thanks!