Originally Posted By: Ken
...Oh, one other comment. Your start time from Trail Camp of 3am is VERY unusually early, and in my mind, unnecessary.

I disagree with this part of your post, and am not sure what's unnecesary about it. I use 3AM as a goal for Whitney dayhikes via the main trail. I never make it, as usually it's closer to 3:30-4AM before I actually get on the trail, but invariably there are others above me who left much earlier. Occasionally I'll overtake someone, and compare notes with departure times. Sometimes I'll learn they left as early as midnight.

Getting an early start has much to commend it, as it's safer to hike up in the dark when you're rested than to hike down in the dark when you're tired. Sometimes when I'm having a strong day I'll be back by 3PM, but sometimes it's 6:30PM, especially if I visit with too many people. And, since I'm frequently affected by AMS, I have ample time to stop, take a drink of water and rest for a few minutes, letting the headache "twinges" subside before pushing on without feeling the pressures of time.

There's lots of good advice to give people, including "slower is better", not only because it can minimize the impact of AMS, but because you're less likely to exhaust reserves of glycogen. The conditions of the permit allow the dayhiker to leave after midnight.

Getting enough sleep is very important, as is proper food and hydration. But, going to bed at 7 or 8PM the night before the hike will, in my experience, offset the early start to a large degree.

As always, everyone's MMV.