Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Respiratory infection? Wiff 09/23/21 10:12 PM
Not to be dramatic, but I think our marmot friends can carry plague. Did you mention your trip to your doctor?
5 705 Read More
Re: Forest Closure WanderingJim 09/19/21 07:51 PM
In late August, the smoke from the Oregon/California fires wasn't that noticeable in Colorado (maybe a little haze could be seen in the distance from the top of the nine 14ers I climbed).

When I drove back from Colorado at the beginning of September, the smoke got progressively worse through Utah along I-80. In Nevada it was very bad all the way through the state. Very limited views of the surrounding mountains and you could smell it.

But it started clearing up as I got into California and was pretty much gone by the time I hit the Bay Area.

Compared to last year, the fires this year have spared the Bay Area's skies for the most part.
26 3,210 Read More
Re: Air Quality & When to Call It Snacking Bear 09/19/21 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by SoCal Jim
Just because you've been seeing bad AQIs doesn't mean it will stay that way—

I now use purpleair.com to check the AQI. PurpleAir is a network of private and public air quality sensors which are constantly updating every few minutes, so it's more realtime.

Second this recommendation. Use PA check AQI, I try to avoid hikes longer than an hour at an AQI 140+ I've been reckless and persisted up to 200, but as years pass I take more of these threats seriously.

Now if I took every weather forecast seriously I would never hike in the Sierra. On days tickling the unhealthy AQI zones I bring an N95 when I hike, hope for the best but when it gets bad on these days during the smoke season I come ready to bail.

That's me though.
5 741 Read More
Missing Hiker Alert 9/6 Yosemite Maverick 09/13/21 06:58 PM
0 326 Read More
Gear Heads Jump to new posts
Re: Sleeping quilt vs bag MikeH 09/10/21 06:23 PM
It's basically a sleeping bag without a zipper. Guess it saves some weight(?). Some have closed foot boxes (lower third), some have a 1/3 zipper so you could actually open the quilt all the way like a blanket.

Yup, you sleep right on your pad with the quilt over you like a blanket. The idea being the part of a sleeping bag that you sleep on provides essentially no insulation since it's being compressed, so why have it.

I don't like the feeling of bare skin on the pad so I always bring a thin pair of long johns or sleep in my hiking clothes.

You don't need a special pad. There are some matched sets- pad and quilt- I think from Big Agnes- but other quilts come with straps or cords that go under/ around the pad. I like the straps the best. The cord you wrap around the pad and the quilt has clips that connect the quilt to the cord. You can slide the slips in and out to create as much or as little cocoon effect as you want.

Take a look at the video here to give you an idea of how this particular quilt works.

https://katabaticgear.com/products/flex-22-ultralight-quilt
3 269 Read More
Sept 21 Available Marty 09/10/21 01:01 AM
I have to relinquish my 2-person overnight permit for 9/21/21. I will do this tomorrow (9/10) I hope someone will be able to take it.
0 250 Read More
Trip Reports Jump to new posts
Re: Redemption: Cottonwood Pass to Whitney loop Snacking Bear 09/07/21 07:01 PM
I'm very glad you got to take your trip before the closure. Congrats on reaching the summit too!

Thanks for sharing your report and pictures as well.
4 577 Read More
Re: Ansel Adams/Tioga Pass - Aug 31 jackeichler 09/02/21 01:50 PM
Yea, my buddy and I tried for Ritter, but we left Agnew at 7am and didn't quite have enough time to get up to the summit. Made it up to the SE glacier, but the loose rock and talus had slowed us down too much. Here is a pic of the glacier. Thing were melting out fast up there...[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZ2WE_9c6-g77z5lETNnrzyeNuDXN6dZ/view?usp=sharing[/img]
3 369 Read More
Picture Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Whitney Hut Snacking Bear 09/01/21 02:30 PM
This is a really incredible photograph. Thank you for sharing this.
1 749 Read More
Re: Successful summit 8/23-8/24 katrina 08/31/21 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Steve C
Hey, congratulations on the successful summit and two-way proposals! That's pretty cool.

We did a wedding on the summit a few years ago!

Steve that is amazing!! Thanks for sharing. I love the veil, and your "take a hike" line. What a special experience.

And thanks so much, Felix!
5 577 Read More
Re: Permit Pickup - Inyo National Forest Select your Orga 08/30/21 01:03 AM
Thanks for the good info. On Inyo national forest site, it states "Wilderness Permits must be reserved through www.recreation.gov. Once reserved, permits can be received one of three ways - see these Pick up instructions. Please note that Wilderness Permit Pickup is not currently available at the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center." When people cancel their reservation, does recreation.gov update the site in a timely fashion so people can reserve permits couple of days before the trip for example or last minute reservations may be picked up by walk ins?

I ask cus I remember seeing slots there marked with 'W' and there was no legend to explain what this W really meant other than walk in.
33 8,371 Read More
Re: Mt Williamson any advice for a two days trip ? jevdet 08/29/21 08:47 AM
george creek bushwhack!
i'm headed up there on 9/11, dayhike summit push up big willy/trojan.
if im whipped, ill bivy a nite and scramble out 9/12, in the am.
be safe and sane.
jr
4 630 Read More
Re: Question regarding Mt Whitney Conditions Steve C 08/29/21 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Raj Patel
Q. I wanted to know if the itinerary that I have to mention in my overnight permit is flexible? What if we are not able to make it to the campsites mentioned in the itinerary and want to camp at an earlier campsite?

It is flexible. Naming where you plan to camp is only for documentation in case you are reported missing. It's purpose is to give search and rescue people an idea where to start looking. Rangers do not check that you are camping in the location stated.
2 667 Read More
Re: Goliath Traverse Steve C 08/29/21 05:52 AM
Seems like I've seen posts from him here, but can't recall his "display name".
2 503 Read More