Topics5,994
Posts53,790
Members4,181
Most Online1,443
Jul 29th, 2019
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Trip Reports Jump to new posts
Re: Alta Peak/Sequoia - Oct 25 G4u2 10/27/20 05:52 AM
Thanks for the report. I've done Alta peak a couple of times. It's a fun "mini Whitney" hike from Wolverton. Your route sounds much more interesting though!

It's funny you mentioned the summit rock at Alta. The first time I was there there was too much snow even though I went in July, so I didn't get less than 100 yards from the summit. The second time the summit was snow-free, but I gave up getting to the register box on that final exposed move. That bolder looked slippery!
1 61 Read More
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Predictions for extensions? bobpickering 10/25/20 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Paul
So Bob, the trail to Kearsarge Pass for day hiking is open? New Army Pass? Road to Horseshoe Meadows open?
The John Muir Wilderness within Inyo National Forest is closed through December 31. That means both day-hiking and backpacking, on trail and cross-country. Kearsarge Pass and New Army Pass are in the John Muir Wilderness, so they are closed. As far as I know, roads, including the one to Horseshoe Meadow, are open.
16 1,490 Read More
Re: White Mountain Peak next weekend WanderingJim 10/20/20 07:02 PM
Well, went up last weekend and made it to the summit! When I have a chance, I'll put up my photos and a short report.

I almost gave up after only 1/2 mile and 400 feet climbed. I felt horrible and had a headache. I only had one night at altitude and 4 days of Diamox to acclimatize, so it wasn't surprising that I'd feel some altitude problems. Just how fast it hit me was surprising. After more breakfast and some Advil, I enjoyed the sunrise from the trail and then felt better so decided to continue to the summit.

Did tweak my ankle on the way down, so it was a slow descent.

Road was in good condition (similar to last year). As for the pavement, it ends after Schulman Grove. But there is a short section of paved road around Patriarch Grove for some odd reason.

No smoke over the White Mountain area itself, but plenty down around Bishop and a little to the east over the Nevada side.
10 791 Read More
Trip Reports Jump to new posts
Re: Middle Palisade (8/3/2020) BFR 10/15/20 05:58 PM
West side
2 264 Read More
Re: Inyo NF Partial Reopening, Wilderness still closed) Paul 10/12/20 10:47 PM
Thanks Bob.......

So I can probably just do the NRT from Lone Pine Campground to the Portal and back for exercise. about 6 miles round trip?

paul
26 2,037 Read More
Owens Valley smoke SoCal Jim 10/09/20 01:00 AM
I spent the night in Bishop last night while traveling back from Nevada. As I approached Bishop on US 6, I was struck by the impressive amount of smoke visible over the Sierra and Owens Valley. It looked like fire was burning IN the Sierra, not on the opposite side of the range. Much of the view of the mountains was obscured by haze, and the setting sun was blood red. Just as hazy this morning. I'd read that the smoke was bad, but seeing it with my own eyes... My sympathy to the residents of Bishop and the surrounding area; that's horrible air to be living in. For those lamenting the closure of the Inyo NF wilderness, you wouldn't want to be hiking and climbing in that air right now.

For a nice (further away) alternative, take a look at Wheeler Peak in Great Basin NP, second highest point in NV (after Boundary Peak in the White Mountains). I hiked it Tuesday in perfect conditions.Trailhead at about 10K, summit is 13,044 feet. About 1,000' of elevation gain in the last mile above timberline of limber and bristlecone pines makes the summit feel well earned. There's a cave system in the park as well, unfortunately closed due to the frickin' pandemic. I arrived too late to get a campsite in the park, unfortunately. Sure seems like there are a LOT more people than average recreationing in the outdoors right now.
0 191 Read More
Re: How long to acclimatize? jaym 10/08/20 03:18 AM
Captain Obvious here: I am still recovering a month later from my smoke, ash and AMS summiting of a 13700 foot Sierra peak near the "Camp Fire". Likely, smoke and ash do not mix well with the AMS proto-HAPE (lung altitude problems)." Just say NO to climbing in smoke and ash!

I bought a Nonin Bluetooth pulse oximeter ("Made in USA" because I am a sucker for USA made stuff) and I can't wait to try it at high altitude. Thank you Bob for the O2 percentages (if I go below those I will call in a rescue chopper (just kidding)). I will have to do some online research to try to get some data on O2 percentages at various altitudes. I did find a research paper that correlated subjects with low O2 levels having AMS problems.
22 3,350 Read More
Available room at Whitney Portal Hostel - Oct 19-21 bellafour 10/05/20 04:52 PM
Hi all, we have an available room that we won't be using at the Whitney Portal Hostel, Oct. 19-21. It's a Double Room with Two Double Beds - $270.01 for both nights. Would anyone like to take this off of our hands? Thanks!
0 163 Read More
Re: Suggested maps/reading bobpickering 09/29/20 03:34 PM
Lazarus, I sent you a private message.
6 540 Read More