Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 57 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: What size backpack for early season day trip Owen Strolle 04/18/24 09:41 PM
I'm attempting the mountaineers route. Currently planning on going this April before the quota kicks in but we will have to see if weather is permitting on my dates.
2 181 Read More
Re: Lottery Results Snacking Bear 04/09/24 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Steve C
Joshua, after those two trips, either she's a keeper or she'll be fleeing for someone/someplace more civilized! grin

Haha, this will be the REAL test.
19 1,433 Read More
Re: Outpost or Trail Camp 395North 04/01/24 06:13 PM
We've done both and they have certainly their pros and cons. The thing we loved the most about starting from Trail Camp was we could roll out of our tent and have the switchbacks literally in your backyard, and later in the day when coming down it was glorious to have your tent there waiting to lay down in after you descended.

However, we enjoy Outpost a lot more as the water sources there feel cleaner, you got shade and it doesn't get as windy. Starting from Outpost was a lot more challenging for our old legs, but it was a very easy 4 mile hike to haul the gear up to that point, we acclimated for two days and then went for it.

This year we're still on the fence on the strategy. Trail Camp feels like you're on the moon, it's boring, but oh so darned convenient when it comes to the push to the summit.
2 337 Read More
Re: 2 night options for exit - lottery Steve C 03/29/24 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by HikerGirl111
I won the lottery for July last week. I wanted to seek out ideas for exit points which are about 2-3 nights including summiting Mt Whitney ..

In other words, where can I exit from which can give me 2 nights on the trails. I looked up cottonwood lakes but that seems more of a 4 night. So I am looking for options where I can camp for 2-3 nights

Any advice or guidance or ideas appreciated…
I assume you won a slot to enter the Mt Whitney main trail and spend a night (or any number of nights) in July.

There just aren't many options for two nights, unless you simply take your time, and enter and exit at Whitney Portal. Other options, as in backpacking over Trail Crest and spending more nights pretty much involve at least 3 nights, and 4 if you don't want to go for long days.

If you felt strong, you could do the Mt. Whitney hike, and spend an extra night, and climb Wotan's Throne, the peak just north of Trail Camp. From its summit, you get a grand view of Mt Whitney and the surrounding peaks.
2 313 Read More
Everest joins Mt Whitney in the 5.5 mile high poo bag club! WanderingJim 03/25/24 02:32 PM
(or 2.75 mile high poo bag club in Whitney's case)

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/25/travel/everest-climbers-poop-bags-intl-scli/index.html

Of course, most Everest climbers will have Sherpa guides/porters to carry the bags down. So, hopefully less bags left along the trail like on Whitney.
0 148 Read More
Re: First timer seeking advice 60North 03/25/24 12:33 AM
Not big campers, ended doing the night at Trail Camp. Didn’t sleep much, altitude didn’t help, but getting up early and hiking out before sunrise was also a treat.
Couple 60+, even as 2 hour half-marathoners, and several longer hikes, treks, we figured we would be 16-20 hours on feet, and that was too long for us in a day. That’d be our slog. Many do it way faster. By memory Elbert is in the 10 miles, 4,000 feet range, Whitney is 20+ miles, 6,000 feet so offered us a little different challenge. We decided to drive through Yosemite, into Mammoth Lakes, motel overnight there @ 8,000 feet rather than camp at the Portal, save the tent night for Trail Camp. Drove into Portal early, started hiking 6:00 am-ish. Figured Portal to Trail Camp was decent enough acclimatization hiking. Summited next day with light daypacks, picked up the tent on the way down, hotel and hot shower by 8:00 pm or so. Trail Camp - well, not my total favorite, got some poor high country bathroom etiquette happening, but there’s space, wise choices can be made…. For us an overnight felt right afterwards, we wouldn’t have enjoyed a day hike so much. Many do it though, lot of trail runners.
Whichever you choose, stay safe, enjoy your trip, it was a highlight of my hiking/trekking experiences. I’ll be back this summer to try Langley, we really enjoyed the Inyo, Lone Pine, Portal vibe, great people in great surroundings.
3 348 Read More
Re: Whitney in EARLY OCTOBER malman 03/25/24 12:31 AM
Hi Penny! We just got awarded permits for October 12th, 2024 and are pondering the same question you had. Did you end up doing the hike on October 6th? If so, how was it, any and all detail would be much appreciated!
6 1,866 Read More
Re: HIGH ALTITUDE LODGING JIMMY22 03/24/24 04:13 PM
Thank you!
2 374 Read More