The "leader" I spoke with was the gift shop/cafe complex manager. I believe the management company is Aramark, similar to national park operations. I was asking him if they required applicants to undergo any type of high altitude tolerance screening, and he said they did not. Since most folks that live in Colorado Springs are at approximately 7000 feet, and often spend time at higher elevations, it was not a pre-employment requirement. He did say, however, that about one in five hires found in the first week that they could not tolerate working at 14K' and quit their job.

He also told me that even seasoned staff were occasionally hit with symptoms of AMS while at work, especially after returning from any extended time off (makes sense - acclimation generally dissipates after a couple of weeks). He said that there was rarely a week that went by in which he didn't have to deal with at least one employee altitude issue - especially if someone came to work after a night of hard drinking.

The customers are another matter entirely - people-watching on Pikes Peak is one helluva spectator sport. There's a lot of stumbling around and holding on to things as people get back on their feet at 14,110' after riding or driving up from 7000'. Many get off the cog railway excited and eager - an hour later they look like they can't wait for the tram to get them off the damn mountain! Pikes Peak is a study in the negative effects of 14K' being too easily accessible to the general public. My wife re-christened the mountain as "Pikes Puke".