Originally Posted By: KevinR
To view this another way - many of the GPS units today are "mapping GPS's", so whether someone points out their location a paper map, or the same map located within their GPS ... is there really such a difference?

Yes, for the tech-trusters, the ability to find their place on the map disappears when the batteries die or the LCD breaks.

I've carried a GPS for years, and also have a compass in my pack. Am quite familiar with the compass, as I used to teach map and compass courses. ...

So you have learned to travel responsibly. Some of the tech-trusters don't think they need to learn any skills as long as they have the technology.

I think we have an obligation to view each new technological tool with some degree of caution until it's proven and tested, in much the same way we did with cell phones and now with PLB's.

I like the way you think about obligation, but there may be better examples to give than the way some people believe they should use their cells and PLB's.

In fact, if you carry a GPS, a compass, a map, and know how to use them, I don't think you qualify as a technology-truster. Congratulations!

Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com