You're right. That should have been made clearer (though I think that was edited from my original...). At the moment, I'm pretty sure that once 911 is activated, there WILL be a response. So stay there or somewhere nearby that's safe. "OK" will not cancel an emergency response, assuming that's the only information transmitted (i.e. no text capability with an explanation or the family/friend doesn't have further information). So far, NPS and other agencies treat that as they would a 911 hangup. A response is still made.

Also, for SPOT, once a 911 activation is made, I think all further SPOT traffic is routed through SPOT until the emergency is cleared, so they'd see the "ok" and update the responding agency.

It's possible, though, that a response will be slower after an "OK" signal. I can imagine a supervisor switching from a helicopter response to sending someone on foot, depending on distance and information about the party that activated the 911.

The main point, though, is that the 911 activator has definite responsibilities once that button is hit. Finally, this whole response protocol is evolving but I think the above reflects a "Best Practice" for those using emergency locator beacons.

George

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.