Doug Sr made a good post here regarding the video:

Originally Posted By: Doug Sr
Hi I started to respond the other day and Laura, Miles and Amy came by so we put the feed bag on instead.

The comments are from years of living with the bears, we see the area from a little different color of glasses.

First the bag of food was not secure , this happens all the time "I was just getting my pack ready and....."

The bear started eating the food "I didn't know what to do...."

I was afraid the bear would attack !!!

And the list grows.

The only reason the bear was in the campground was it /they had found food many times before, The guilty parties were months before and the bears continue to return to the same area each night for more food . The response follows the same pattern THE PEOPLE WATCH THE BEARS EAT THE FOOD!!!! When the food is gone the bears will go to the next feeding area. Repeat. All the signs and warning must only apply to the other people???

So as the bear eats the food the person says I hope it leaves the pack alone ???? Why would it, the bear is not aware of your great plans and how those will change once they destroy the pack and get the food.

OK next you see the bear leave, the food is gone but... notice when the bear returns it heads to the area where the pack was on the ground? This is the level of skill you are facing, the bear had located the pack by sight/smell recorded the location made a choice to finish the big easy bag then return for the small portion. The car/truck had food in it also and would have been the third target. The bear had located it as a food source and if the bear not moved away it would have entered the truck.

The story I didn't have anything out .........or only a small .......... fails the test when you then say the bear got my food, pack clothing bag, ice chest.

What bothers you the most? The fear the bear has on your ego of finding out you are really not much in the food chain? It got your food , destroyed your pack,car and maybe even your trip? Forced you to take charge and protect you property? We don't have a bear problem in the Portal. Do we? Thanks Doug