Perfect weather this past weekend for the last no lottery permit weekend. We drove up from San Diego on Friday morning and made it to trail camp. (FYI, push to get to trail camp instead of base camp. It makes for a much easier summit push.)
On Saturday we got up and started towards main trail to trail crest. In snow/winter conditions all the switchbacks are covered in snow or ice depending on the weather conditions. Here you might need crampons/ice axe. (They are not a necessity. I didn't need them going up but did going down when the sun was starting to go behind the mountain.) On colder/cloudy days or early morning/evening the snow pack will be hard and icy. For us it was sunny 40-50 degrees. It did take us a bit to make it to trail crest, but after making it there you will feel like the summit is just around the corner. We then followed the trail round the backside of Mount Muir and up to the backside of Whitney. For this area it was mostly rocky gravel but there were some hairy areas with snow and long falls if you slip. We made summit around 3pm, hung around for about 20-30 min with two other climbers who made summit just before us.
I would say make summit by 3pm, 4pm at the dire latest. Otherwise you will be hiking in much colder weather, and all the snow that was easy to walk in will now be icy. At trailcrest we slowly butt scooted/glissaded down. And were back at our trail camp around 7pm. Made a quick dinner, then to bed for a Sunday morning hike out. Then of course the celebratory beer and burger at the portal store or the Whitney restaurant in Lone Pine.
Okay, quick tips (especially for first timers):
1)Waterproof your boots, and then waterproof them again. Wet boots will be frozen the next morning.
2)Make it to trail camp first day.
3)Pack light, bring the right gear for the weather and time of year you are hiking(iceaxe/crampons)
4)Sunscreen. Snow and Sun will make a quick sunburn of your face. Lather it on thick repeatedly. I had 65spf on and still got sunburnt and raccoon eyes from my sunglasses.
5)Melt snow for water, save packing weight, and if you are still wary add a few water treatment drops.
I'll add pics as well in the pic message board. Good luck to all and safe hiking.