Originally Posted By: Bulldog34
Cool TR Steve! I'll have to give that a shot some day (if the whole permit thing ever becomes something other than it's current free-for-all). It looks like it would be a fun day, especially without the summer crowds. So how did you guys descend?

I see I left out some details.... Sorry!

It took us about 30 minutes to climb the cables, taking pictures and videos, along the way.

It only took 5 minutes going down. I put on some leather gloves, grabbed the cable, and just walked backwards, sliding the cable through my hand. I only stopped once or twice on a ledge to rest to give my forearms a little rest. I used smooth-leather work gloves, but in the past, used rough-side-out split leather. I think the split leather type are the best to get the right combination of sliding ability and friction safety. My smooth-leather grabbed at times.

Others down-climbed by holding and releasing the cables in a hand-over-hand mode. I think the cable sliding through the gloves is the best.

By the way, if you aren't intimidated by the cables being down, or the lack of the cross-bar (wooden 2x4s), I highly recommend climbing in May. It was a very nice experience.

In fact, I'd have to say, the best time to visit Yosemite Valley is in May, before Memorial Day weekend. I saw so many new waterfalls, and all the foliage is so fresh. And the dogwoods! Truly the best time!

I should say, though, that the next day, my back was sore due to the strain of bending over and holding the weight of the cables. The strain completely disappeared by day 2. But the sore quads are still with me (due to all that descending on the trails)

Last edited by Steve C; 05/23/11 01:50 PM. Reason: A little gushing :-)