Quote:
Originally Posted By: hike500
Yes, it's called common sense. Kind of like crossing a crevice on a glacier, you don't do it unless you are roped off. Come on Bee

Well, um, thanks for the advice -- I feel so much better, now.

Perhaps I was a bit vague; my query was in regard to any visual cues that a bridge may be weakening. I am not that experienced, thus, trial & error is very unappealing at this point.

I will keep your advice close at hand should I decide to wander over any glaciers/crevasses.

Bee's question was very reasonable. To add to Steve C's advice, I don't believe common sense or being roped covers a real solution. There's no good way to tell and very few hikers carry ropes that would hold a belay.

I usually pound on snow bridges with both ski poles and, at the edge, with my foot. Best is to continue upstream where it's not just a snow bridge, but an entire field of snow (though that appears to be the case in this incident). I step very cautiously and softly. The woman here carried a long stick, on the theory that if it gave way, the stick would catch her on either side. Not bad, but it didn't work. But that shows she was worried. Not to second guess, but if you're that worried, an extended search for a better crossing might well be in order.

Finally, try to cross only in the morning -- to about 10 AM. Hard to follow that advice, but afternoons are going to be the most dangerous as the snow melts and sags.

g.

None of the views expressed here in any way represent those of the unidentified agency that I work for or, often, reality. It's just me, fired up by coffee and powerful prose.