I really didn't know for sure that I was going to do this hike until thursday 6/23. My wife and I were negotiating our schedules and it was pretty clear that this was the last weekend I would be able to go until August or September. So, I got the go ahead and did some shopping at 11pm thursday night and sparked up the BBQ at midnight to cook my chicken breasts for my famous (in my mind) backpacker's chicken soup/stew.

Made it to the MW visitor's center having called ahead to find out that there were "plenty" of permits available. Got my permit, swung by the Subway for a sandwich and then on up to the portal.

I stopped by the portal store to get directions to the old trail. I went back to the loop road behind the fishing pond and found the "big" rock and started up what I thought was the trail. I saw about 15 rocks lined up like they were lining a trail, so I felt confident I was on the right track. This was the last bit of confidence that I had. There was a trail of sorts. And there had been a lot of dead wood clearing in the area so I thought, "must be the right place, why would they clear dead/fallen trees if there wasn't a trail here. It seemed odd that the trail....and I am positive that it was a trail at one time, had so many pine needles on it. It didn't seem like it got much use at all. And steep too. These weren't switchbacks so much as a trail that swung back and forth on a very steep ascent. But I figured, "well, these guys are much more experienced than I am so this is probably no big deal for them" (that applies to pretty much everybody when compared to me). This trail kept pushing me to the left (south). Mainly because there was this giant granite face that would be formidable to pretty much anyone. Finally, I see a notch in the granit face. But it is a climb, not a hike...no question about it. So it couldn't be the right place....so I went left toward lone pine creek. And I was following a pretty clear trail. I was also looking for boot tracks. And I thought I saw several and started following them. I'm pretty sure that I was in a fog at this point, because i looked a little closer and they were pretty clearly double hoove prints...DOH!! I knew I was on the wrong track again, but I wasn't worried. If worse came to worse, I could just go back to the portal and start again tomorrow (today). But I knew that if I kept going up that I would have to hit the trail eventually. No joy. This nice clear trail went up next to the cliff and then stopped...or turned into an undergrowth animal use trail.#$#%#$@#$@#....I had to turn back. I can't tell you how much I hate and avoid going back downhill on an uphill hike. I head back to the notch that I described earlier. I know it isn't part of the old trail, but I am certain that this big granite face is the granite slab that parallels the southside of the lower switchbacks. If I can just get up and over, I should find the trail.

So I climb up the notch. I had to take my pack off and throw it up ahead of me as it was a tight space and climbing rocks with a 35lb pack just didn't seem too bright for someone of my skill level. I get through the notch....#%@#$@#$...yeah sure it's clear, but there's another rock face. I'm doomed. I can see the trail along the north side of the valley that leads to the north fork crossing. I am considerably higher than it, so I figure that I can cross country down and to the north and I will have to hit the trail. I don't like this idea, but.....

Then I see some movement above me out of the corner of my eye...up on that second rock face....it was golden brown and pretty large. Not a bear...no way...it was mid-afternoon and it was the wrong color. Mountain lion?....nah, they'd never let me see them.....then I see it again...OMG! it's a hat!!! I can just barely see someone's head over the ledge.

Elation!

But, I had to get up there. I see another notch in the rocks....only about a foot wide and not deep, I start climbing up to the tree at the top....back into the same situation, I can't get over the ledge with my pack (it also was getting blocked by the branches. I take my pack off again and throw it up on the rock...then throw my hiking poles up on the rock and climb over the ledge using the branches of the tree for suppport. And 40' away is a switchback. And a guy is walking up toward me. I ask him the time....3:45. I tell an abbreviated version of my story to this point and he says "oh yeah, I just came up the old trail". I asked how far back...he said "oh 10 minutes or so". I wasn't even that much further up the trail...dammit.

I was pretty beat up. I had several blood streaks going down my legs from cuts when I was climbing the rocks and frankly, it was just damn hard work. The rest of the hike was uneventful. I was having a few issues with my knee (ACL surgey a few years ago, but it never got totally right). So I took it very slowly and took a fair number of rest....or as I like to call them "moments of reflection".

Once you get to the wet parts of the trail, the mosquitos are relentless. I had bug repellent on...and it worked...for the most part. I missed one spot right along the sock line on my leg. I have about 15 bites all bunched up. It actually looks really disgusting. Recommend long sleeves, long pants.

Got to Lone Pine Lake. I wasn't sure that I was going to stay there just yet. the whole area is very wet with lots of rivulets heading down to the lake. I figured that I would head up to Outpost at my leisure after I ate some food. Well.....I found a very nice dry spot and there was absolutely nobody there, so i decided to spend the night there. I could still make trail camp pretty easily when I got up i the morning. I got into the tent pretty shortly after eating. The mosquitos never let up.

Got to sleep pretty easily...and then was woken up by something large checking out my camp. I made some noise and it went away. But I never checked to see if it was a bear. But by now, I was wide awake and stayed that way until about 5am.

When I woke up, I was still pretty sore, but I hadn't decided to turn back yet. There is a lot of snow on the north facing slopes in the LPL area. I decided to break out the ice axe and practice glissading and self arrest. I walked up 5 times and had fun doing the exercises. (you can see my boot tracks on the left side of the snow slope). After that, i figured that I really had accomplished what I came for and since I was still hurting, I should just head down the hill.

I did find the old trail on the way down. Two guys who were hiking in front of me went down just past the second sign. I followed. They were a little bit high and had to go about 20' left to catch the actual switchbacks.

I have photos of most everything. Including the big rock that you should pay no attention to if you are looking for the old trail and the massive granite outcropping that you should.....

now...I need to take a shower!