Official SEKI beta is here . SCroll down to find separate entries for HST/Kaweah, Whitney and Kern areas. HST/Kaweah is currently the most recent.

dethMarch:

First I have to ask: are the troop/parents aware of your trail name? I won't tell. cool

Second: I am in touch on the other site with a HST party that is scheduled to summit on the 8th. WIll try to get his beta here ASAP, but no promises .

GS: I really think the crossings will be much more serious concern with beginners than the snow. That said, I would be prepared to follow SEKI advice on snow gear, and make the effort to teach/learn basics as the easier fields are encountered. Most REIs rent axes and crampons, and there is an REI in Fresno.

I would really concentrate on prudence in crossings. As snow improves, crossings may get worse. There have been several incidents this year that urge real caution. One indicator will be whether Bearpaw High Sierra Camp actually opens tomorrow as scheduled. One of the toughest crossings -- Mehrten Creek -- is halfway to Bearpaw and has to be passable to get there. I will be watching this one closely.

Last edited by saltydog; 06/30/11 05:16 PM.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!