[Continued from the "Significant Weather" topic in the General Discussions forum]

I grew up in the high desert of SoCal -- in the Palmdale area in the Antelope Valley. When we got weather like you all are having there this week, I remember the dry creek beds becoming rushing rivers and crossing the various roads in town, making some of them impassable until the creeks died down again.

The street we lived on also happened to be the low spot in the area; and so, on these same occasions, I also remember waking up in the middle of the night now and then to see our street flooded from curb-to-curb, and sometimes, on these occasions, neighbors would get out their canoes and paddle them down the street, much to the amazement and entertainment of the rest of us!

Ya gotta love the desert!!

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)