Bob, you're making me feel a little bit guilty here. I usually don't do anything unless the person admits they're in trouble. I've helped a few people, but they were always cheerful to have someone lend a hand.

Yesterday while on the North Fork a little after 4 AM I saw two people in their sleeping bags sleeping on the trail above the Ebersbacher Ledges and below Lower Boyscout Lake. I was debating whether to wake them and ask if they were okay and risk ruining someone's sleep, but decided that they were poor backpackers who didn't know how to pick a reasonable place to camp.

I stepped over them and moved on. It wasn't 50 feet before I saw a guy huddled over by a rock. I stopped as I thought he was using a wag bag. I shouted at him to let me know when he was done. He immediately got up and stumbled down. Didn't have a headlamp or flashlight either. He had the 1,000 yard stare. I asked if he was okay. Didn't respond. I asked again, this time without a smile as it looked a little more serious than I thought. He mumbled something that I couldn't understand. So I got in front of him and asked one more time and if he needed anything. I don't remember his exact words, but said something to the effect that he was just a little cold from the wind and walked right past me.

I headed up a little further near the waterfall before LBSL, and looked back and saw he had put the headlamp on now, and made out that he was getting into a sleeping bag. Looks like he was with the two still sleeping.

I assume everyone doing the North Fork knows what they're getting themselves into and able to deal with the elements, and be prepared. I didn't think anything yesterday, and was just slightly perplexed that someone decided to sleep on a small use trail like the North Fork. Your post will make me more cognizant in the future.