Originally Posted By: stungry
I'm headed up the MR this weekend on an overnight trip. Clearly there was some snow fall last weekend and this week. Anybody have any idea how much acculation there was and what the coverage might be like this weekend?

Are crampons needed?

I haven't seen any trip reports with info on the MR since the storm passed. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I doubt the crampons will help you. I'm guessing you'll encounter a slippery, thin layer of snow and ice. You'll destroy your crampons walking on this and granite, and more importantly, you might hurt yourself from awkwardly hiking and climbing in them. It looks like a nasty combination of just enough snow and ice to make things treacherous, but not enough, or consolidated, to make the crampons effective. You'll also probably be frustrated and pulling your hair out from putting them on, taking them off, putting them on, taking them off...

I doubt you'll need them for the chute, but I wouldn't want to to wear them going up the Final 400 with this thin layer of snow and ice. Then again, I wouldn't want to go up some narrow slippery ledges right now with just my boots either. Best of luck, and hope the snow melts enough to make your trip safe this weekend.

P.S. Let me know how it goes. smile I might go up the following weekend. Thanks.

Last edited by 2600fromatari; 09/15/11 08:49 PM.