I can really relate to your comments about how people train other than doing climbing. One guy in our group of 7 was from Kansas and all he did was bike alot, no altitude or any real uphill or downhill hiking. He was mid 40s and 5 of us were 50-73 with one 32. Going downhill was the worst as he used a wooden hiking stick to control his descent and went at best 1/4 to 1/3rd mph. He actually got a jeep ride down the last part of the Mweka Route as the group had been waiting hrs for him to get down with his guide. He said : " I never prepared for downhill at all and using different muscles wiped me out completely."

We went up the Western Shira Plateau, spent 7 nights on the Mt and came down the Mweka Route. This was 1994 and I used Mt Madness when Scott Fischer was still alive. Whoever mentioned that their admin people were poor, I would go one step further and say they were the worst I have come across as they made alot of mailing mistakes and put out incorrect info to several of the 7 on the trip. I do not know what the company is like now as it has changed hands since my trip. The African tour group that Mt Madness used was Excellent.

I enjoyed your pictures as your route was very similar to the one we took as the routes merge after the 2nd day and then split off again above Lava Tower. We entered at Londorossi and passed Lava Camp, Arrow Camp and went through the Western Breach, camping in the inner crater at 18,800'.