Hey, first of all your responses and mini debates make me feel right at home. I am serious, every bike shop,climbing store,angling shop,outdoor store or web blog has always been occupied by those that have an innate love for the adventure. And to each adventurer there is a very real truth to each experience. So before I wax philosophically let me just say,
thanks for each comment.
After many years of spending nights on the ground,in a bag,or in a leaking tent out in the middle of nowhere, I have done my time.
Now I try to start each day with coffee from a real coffee pot,without ant trails or bear tracks surrounding the abode.
Hopefully my permit attempts for MTW will produce a date and a day, at which point I am going to seek many of the high altitude areas you referred. The White Mountains looks especially accessible for some high elevation hiking and Horseshoe Meadows is close to some great wild trout waters.
I will keep posting. Oh and I loved the pics on the Wilderness toilets,I am a strong believer in outdoor commodes when they are available except the time when a rattlesnake hissed at me from the melon pile inside a pit toilet at Sespe Creek.

"If you don't have a strategy, you're part of someone else's strategy."
-- Alvin Toffler