What I am opposed to are extreme positions.

Let me give the example from my boating club, where the club owns a variety of boats. People have their favorite types, optimized for their favorite activity. That's fine. What's not fine, is when they try to enforce making EVERY boat in the fleet be THEIR type.

I don't favor making every peak easy to climb by artificially enhancing the route, like HD.

I don't favor making all areas totally remote and unaccessed by trail-like the Enchanted Gorge.

I don't favor making all outdoor areas inaccessible to those physically unable to walk into them.

I don't favor making all outdoor areas paved.

I DO favor a mixture of things, that allow maximal access to all, with all flavors of adventure being accommodated.

After all, the mountaineer didn't pay one red cent more for the public lands than did the couch potato.

No matter which you allocate to whom, the other side will think it should have been theirs.

It is hard to argue with the HD ration....about 1000:1 weighted towards the adventurers. 999 out of 1000 is not enough?

Apparently not.

You CANNOT read of Laura's or Rogue's adventures, and not think that are many lifetimes of remote adventures out there.

......but they weren't born that way. They had to work up to it, with the hand-holding of signs, etc, along the way.

I'm fine with the rest of the population having the same learning advantages.