been watching this thread for a while. Maybe it's time to post...

I like the idea of low-impact pack animals. But people can't ride llamas. I would not like to see horses completely restricted from the back country. But I do like George's point that packers should do their best to minimize the impact of the pack animals.

My last summer adventure comes to mind, where we hired horses and mules to pack in my wife and daughter, kayaks and gear for a group of seven to Thousand Island Lake. There is no way I would have tried to hike the other two in my family in and out on that trip. Horses and mules add another dimension and open up possibilities for some who would not otherwise experience the back country.

But this statement is what I really want to comment on...
> I'm not persuaded that there's a need to continue to use horses for purely recreational purposes in the backcountry, particularly in designated wilderness areas. We no longer allow motorized/mechanized vehicles in the backcountry, maybe it's time to phase out horses for recreational purposes. Not immediately, but overtime - perhaps 5-10 years.

So many times over the years, we see specific groups or specific individuals say something similar. "Maybe we should close off this area to _______". or "Those machines have no place there." "It's ok that Yosemite closes the Half Dome cables to thousands without trying any other options."

There are groups trying to close access to snowmobiles even over roads in Yellowstone. CARS drive the same roads all summer. What is wrong with a different vehicle in winter??? I'd love to ride the Tioga Road on a snowmobile -- why not a well-patrolled single day each year?

We ALL enjoy access to the wilderness. It is NOT ok to cut it off to specific groups of people. This trend began with extremely tight trail quotas, where other options could have been tried. Bicycles are prohibited where they could be allowed, perhaps on specific trails on limited dates.

It is my opinion that ALL groups of people should be allowed access to the wilderness. It is not a happy solution to only allow a select few access. Doing this is like cutting off our own noses.

There are ways to allow more people to enjoy our wilderness. Advocating for fewer and fewer sets me on fire!