Originally Posted By: wbtravis
#2 first...day hike permits are for day hiking and overnight permits are for multi-day trips. You can't combine the former to get the latter.

#1...I guess that is up the people at the visitor's center. My guess is there will be a ton of permits available on a June Wednesday. You can always ask. I certainly would, if I were in your position. Hmmm...make that whine.

Thanks. I understand that you can't combine them for overnight trips. But are day permits on consecutive days okay if they really are separate day hikes? We are staying at Whitney Portal Tuesday night and then doing the main trail.

Originally Posted By: MooseTracks
AMG: there is a lottery held at both 0800 and 1100 each day for walk-in permits. The first is for same-day entry, the second is for next day entry. You can show up anytime after 1100 to try and get walk-in permits, but there is no way of knowing availablility after the initial rush at 1100.

Essentially, the 0800 lottery takes care of any remaining permits from the previous day.

-L

Thanks for the explaination of how they run the lotteries. Ugh, sounds like one of us gets to drive to Lone Pine Tuesday morning. I kind of figured that would be the case, but I was hoping if by Monday afternoon it was clear that they would have enough to go around they would take pity on me wink